Start by marking “Ceux qui restent (Walking Dead, #9)” as Want to Read:
Ceux qui restent (Walking Dead, #9)

Ceux qui restent (The Walking Dead #9)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  14,926 Ratings  ·  554 Reviews
Seuls Rick et Carl, son fils, ont réchappé du massacre orchestré par le Gouverneur. Il leur faut désormais réapprendre à vivre avec la peur au ventre, chaque nouvelle rencontre pouvant être la dernière. La relative sécurité qu'ils avaient retrouvée au sein des murs du pénitencier n'est plus qu'un souvenir, et il revient désormais à Carl de soutenir son père, victime d'hall ...more
Published October 7th 2009 by Delcourt (first published January 7th 2009)

Alejandro
The prison is behind and the journey continues!

This is the ninth volume of The Walking Dead, collecting the comic book issue from #49 to #54.

Creative Team:

Writer: Robert Kirkman

Illustrators: Charlie Adlard

Additional gray tones to inking: Cliff Rathburn

Chapter Nine

HERE WE REMAIN

What if everyone dies on your way there?

At the ending of the previous volume, it was portraited the final confrontation between the forces of the town of Woodbury and Rick’s group while living inside of a prison.

Thi
Bookdragon Sean
I love how Rick realises that he is becoming crazy. He isn’t in denial, he just sort of goes along with his own madness. He’s scared of it though, and who can blame him? He is scared for his son and the consequences his unhinged leadership may bring the group. So he takes a back seat and allows himself time to recover whilst the council take the wheel.

Meanwhile new survivors arrive. Abraham is clearly going to be a major character. His muscle feels the gap that Tyreese left. In this he is strang
WrensReads
Wrens Review

So this volume is basically this episode. This is the iconic pudding episode, where Rick is super sick and Carl has a mental breakdown.

Man, oh man, was this a great volume. Rick literally just accepts that he is going insane. It is kind of like the phone in the prison, for those of you who have watched the show and have not read the graphic novels, but I believe a lot more intense.

Rick and Carl got separated from the group. They are fending for themselves and Rick is so badly injur
This volume wasn't as good as the other ones. It was too slow for my liking and nothing really happened until the end. I liked when it focused on Carl because he's a very interesting character to read about but otherwise the volume was just not up to the standard of the other volumes. There were a few things that were in the volume though that could play out nicely in comics further down the line. Even though this volume was not as good, I'm still completely hooked and I can't wait to read what ...more
Sam Quixote
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been tough on Robert Kirkman’s less-than-spectacular “character” work in The Walking Dead so far so it’s a pleasant surprise to see him do so well with a vastly reduced cast in Volume 9 (but still, wow, it took him nine volumes to write some great character scenes!).

In the aftermath of the Governor’s fatal attack on the prison, Rick and his son Carl have escaped with their lives – and little else. Separated from the remaining survivors, they look for shelter, but Rick’s poorly healing gunsh
Becky
It's been a while since I read Volume 8, so it took me a bit to get back in the swing of things with this series, but after that, it was smooth sailing. For me, not the characters. They definitely are dealing with some shit.

Rick and Carl are on their own and trying to figure out what to do... Rick is sick And Carl is struggling to cope with the possibility of losing his father too.

Rick is having a hard time keeping it together. The mental strain of being the responsible one, the leader, and ha
Gabby
This one picks up right where the last one ended. The prison has been overrun and they all had to leave, and they were all separated. I was fangirling over how similar this volume was to the show. It was probably the most accurate out of all the volumes I've read so far. Especially seeing Rick and Carl off on their own, Rick passing out for a couple of days because he's sick, and Carl blaming Rick for everything that happened. Then Carl thinking Rick turned into a zombie, it was so amazing! It w ...more
☣Lynn☣
Not a big fan of the new characters.
Darren Hagan
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*4.5 stars*
**SPOILERS**

This one isn't so action packed as the last one but they did just get royally f*cked at the prison so I'm not too bothered about that. However it does have some good character development. Carl is forced to grow up and take care of himself when Rick falls ill, and Rick blames himself for everything that has happened and all the losses from Volume 8. He refuses to be the decision maker anymore so other members have to figure out where to go next.

I actually liked this one, e
Anna
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
amazing, brilliant, terrific. The battle for life against zombies keeps going in the aftermath of last chapter's losses and destruction of the safe place
Nicholas Karpuk
I stopped reading The Walking Dead for a while after Volume 8. It's not that it became a bad read, Kirkman has an oddly consistent track record, it's just that the level of misery became so great that I felt I needed to take a break from the series.

This collection was the wind down and reset that the series needed. There's no major revelation, just characters coping with the most tremendous loss they've suffered. It's far more compelling than it would seem as a summary.

There's a bit involving R
Ayman Gomaa
Mar 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
good volume , yea not many things happened and it was kind slow but after all the killing that happened in the last volume i guess we need a break and less violence and no more dead chracters plz :D .
well first of all Rick starting to lose his mind :D :D and i can't blame her after the massacre from the last volume , but ya this volume focused a lot about his feelings and his thoughts about his loss and feeling guilty about it , finally abraham , rosita and eugene showed and their mission start
Arielle Walker
After the disgusting brutal violence handed to us by the Governor, I considered finishing my relationship with the Walking Dead for good. Gratuitous violence is not something I a a fan of, although I'm aware that a graphic novel series about zombies is of course going to be full of said violence. The Governor took it too far. But now he's gone, and everyone's moving on with diminished numbers and increased neuroses.

Introduction of new characters means a slightly new dynamic again, and I think I
Drew The Reviewer
This volume is really focused on character development and the characters recovering from the war they just had with The Governor. Even though there is hardly any action in this, I loved seeing the character's personality grow.
Nicole Alycia
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely one of the slower comics but Abraham, Rosita, and Eugene were introduced so things should get interesting soon.
Raeleen Lemay
BEST ONE SO FAR.
Ashley
I'm glad I took time off from reading this series. That last volume was brutal.

Vol. 9 of The Walking Dead handles the events of Vol. 8 the only way it could (and still keep readers from wanting to kill themselves from sadness). The first half is relatively quiet, with Carl and Rick moving slowly down the road, ambling to nowhere basically, and dealing with their grief over the loss of Lori and baby Judy, as well as their other friends. (view spoiler)
Sesana
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Checking in at around the midpoint of the trades published so far. Damn you, Robert Kirkman. The last couple volumes have been so wrenching that I almost wish Kirkman had suddenly turned into a bad writer. That would allow me to get away from the horribly depressing world he's created and let go of the characters he seems to so delight in torturing. So curse you, Robert Kirkman, for keeping The Walking Dead absorbing and compulsively readable. You monster.
Lesincele Viaja gracias a los libros
Este volumen es más de transición y por ello se lee muy rápidamente. Pero nos ayuda a comprender aún más a los personajes y a su proceso de duelo cuando ven como van perdiendo a sus seres queridos sin poder hacer nada por remediarlo. Con ganas de saber qué ocurrirá en el siguiente volumen ahora que han aparecido nuevos personajes.
Alondra
3.5 Stars

Aftermath from the prison. Lives are lost, friends are found and we move on. Our group is on their way to Washington DC; with barely any hope, but a lot of survival instinct.

I am not sure how many more I can read without getting ahead. Decisions, decisions.

Mindy
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These are becoming like potato chips. I just can't stop eating reading them!

Loved that this one focused so much on Rick. It's just fascinating how these comics have been adapted for T.V. I love how they are familiar and brand new all at the same time.

On to volume 10!!
T.W. Brown
May 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the gut-wrenching conclusion of volume eight, Made to Suffer, you might be a bit reluctant to crack open volume nine, Here We Remain. If Robert Kirkman has done anything, he’s proven that he is a fearless storyteller. He refuses to coddle the reader. The series up to now has been harsh, gritty, and real.

Here We Remain feels like a chance to catch your breath. Unlike volume seven, The Calm Before, where you are actually warned that there are bad things happening so take a moment to find yo
Andy
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I think this might be the turning point for me. The last few volumes took things in a violent and shocking direction and this takes us away from all that, resulting in a much quieter and contemplative story. Rick and Carl move on and pick up what lives they have left and we meet a few new characters who also introduce a few new plot teasers to keep us intrigued. It might not be enough though.

I'm starting to find the character work a little superficial and while the dialogue is markedly reduced,
Brandice
Oct 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic, comics
Woah. This volume was REALLY well done. The aftermath of volume 8 is really shown in the internal struggle of the characters, which is something that's hard to really show well in this medium. I'm pretty impressed, and this might be my favorite volume of Walking Dead.
Jeff
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
This is Robert Kirkman’s best writing so far. He explores how the accumulated trauma and stress are starting to wear away the sanity of the characters. The rendering of the Carl/Rick relationship is incredibly well done.
Michel Avenali
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My slow as molasses quest to catch up with TWD continues. After all the trauma and crazy moments with the prison/Governor situation, the group all split up, and the death count rising I especially enjoyed the slower moments in the beginning of this volume. Personally, I find the contemplative moments between the characters to be such a strong element in this series. Carl and Rick's narrative were strong, dealing not just with Rick's guilt over the choices he made but Carl getting a moment to be ...more
Chelsea
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh, I promise I WILL finish this series eventually. But its one of those series that's enjoyable enough to not want to rush through, and also easy enough to follow along with that EVEN THOUGH it's been, like, seven months since I picked up volume eight, I still was able to pick right back up with what was going on.

I will say, this volume kind of knocked me on my gut. The phone conversation between Rick and the unknown female voice on the other end just, like....damn. That was a rough couple of
Artemy
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, image-comics
Wait, what? I am reading The Walking Dead again, even though I almost hated the first compendium? Well, yeah. I don't know. I just felt like it. Maybe it's because I have read and enjoyed the third volume of Outcast a couple of weeks ago. And hey, I enjoyed this volume, too! Probably the best in the series so far — Kirkman is finally doing some character work that is not cringe-worthy for a change. Also, killing off half the cast in the end of the previous volume really did wonders for this seri ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

A great improvement over the previous volumes. I don't like Carl/Rick, but the focus on them and only them was a great move. And while I miss a lot of my favorite characters, I think trimming them was the best thing for the story. And adding new ones is good for fresh blood (am loving Abraham, to be honest).

Also, THANK THE MAKER, we are FINALLY going to find out what happened to create all these zombies. Maybe...

But really, stop with the sexist sh!t, Kirkman. Girls aren't crazy, an
Nayeomi
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the one where Carl sees a sick dad and almost mistakenly shoots him, thinking he's a walker groaning and moaning like one. I think this is one of the most favourite scenes i have with the book, as well as in the tv show.
It shows the human psyche, how far it is willing to get pushed and when does real paranoia begins. At this point, everyone else feels like everyone else is pretty much dead with an invisible expiry date probably stuck in their foreheads and Carl is no different to feel this way.
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls (Y: The Last Man, #7)
  • Chew, Vol. 4: Flambé
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 2: Head Games
  • Fables, Vol. 14: Witches
  • Sweet Tooth, Volume 3: Animal Armies
  • Revival, Vol. 3: A Faraway Place
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 4: Gangwar
More about Robert Kirkman...

The Walking Dead (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 01: Days Gone Bye
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 07: The Calm Before
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 08: Made to Suffer
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 10: What We Become
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 11: Fear the Hunters

“The thing about smart mother fuckers is that sometimes, they sound like crazy mother fuckers to stupid mother fuckers...” 241 likes