Start by marking “Against the Tide: Love in a Time of Petty Dreams and Persisting Enmities” as Want to Read:
Against the Tide: Love in a Time of Petty Dreams and Persisting Enmities

Against the Tide: Love in a Time of Petty Dreams and Persisting Enmities

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  65 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Miroslav Volf’s writing beautifully points away from the pettiness and selfishness so prominent in our culture today and toward the love that Christians are called to exemplify. His insights in this volume will inform and inspire all who wish to follow that path of love.
Published January 4th 2010 by Eerdmans (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Against the Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against the Tide

Becca
Apr 15, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm not giving this book three stars because it is moderately good. I'm giving it three stars because it is sheer brilliance interspersed with rare moments of rotten theology.

Because I want to end on a high note, I will begin with my frustrations.

1.) Volf teaches theology believing that it is part of his job to "'distance' God from the text" before helping students return to it. This break-down-build-up approach to leadership has always irritated me, whether it emerges from a basketball coach be
Neil White
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a collection of essays by Miroslav Volf from various times, and being a collection of essays some are really good and some are ok. Unlike some of his other works like Exclusion and Embrace this volume doesn't have the same level of cohesion, but there are some little gems inside.
Stephen Oliver
Feb 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
An accessible set of essays on Volf's classic themes of reconciliation, forgiveness and inclusion. Not Volf at his deepest and, hence, one or two places where the argument doesn't hold as strongly as it might. The sections on church, mission and "giving and forgiving" are particularly worth spending time in. A good place to start with Volf if his writings are not familiar.
Justin Woodall
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
Really disappointing. It seemed to lack some of the normally winsome writing I expect from Volf.
Travis
Matt
rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Miroslav Volf is the Henry B. Wright Professor of Theology at Yale Divinity School and the founding director of the Yale Center for Faith & Culture. “One of the most celebrated theologians of our time,” (Rowan Williams, Archbishop of Canterbury), Volf is a leading expert on religion and conflict. His recent books include Against the Tide: Love in a Time of Petty Dreams and Persisting Enmities, ...more
More about Miroslav Volf