Start by marking “The Weight of Shadows” as Want to Read:
The Weight of Shadows

The Weight of Shadows

In The Weight of Shadows, by Alison Strobel, after a difficult childhood, Kim has built a successful life for herself … but she'd leave it all if it meant being rid of the guilt she harbors over a tragic mistake she made years ago. When she meets Rick, she finds everything she needs—including a way to pay for her sins every time he hits her. Kim and Rick’s new neighbor, ...more
Published May 29th 2010 by Zondervan (first published May 7th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Weight of Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weight of Shadows

Start your review of The Weight of Shadows
Kim
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars, couldn't stand Josh's in-laws.
Nora St Laurent
Aug 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
I just finished the last page of Alison Strobel Morrow’s new book and I’m glad I received a review copy of this realistic, haunting look at how each choice we make in life could take us takes us on an unexpected journey. This author shows how easy it is to get in the middle of a bad situation that might seem impossible to get out of.

Alison paints an unnerving but hopeful picture of a young orphan girl desperate for love. Kim hasn’t done anything about this deep desire because she’s kept busy
Jerry
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
An emotionally charged drama that had me hooked from the beginning.
Sara Jane Kehler
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Hurting people hurt other people.” This is what a friend of mine told me many years ago, and I continue to see the truth of it.

The Weight of Shadows explores the complexities of abusive relationships and the possible motives behind the actions of both the abusers and the victims. It is an intriguing and informative read. I appreciated how Alison Strobel was able to address difficult truths with both honesty and compassion.

This book is well written. It held my attention to the end and invoked
Tina  Viscusi
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was great- pulled me in and kept me reading and I especially liked how the author pulled all the main characters together in a seemingly karmic way. The God references were reassuring as well.

I liked the book up til the end- the ending was flat and left you wondering what the hell just happened and there was no resolution of everyone's story line- just Kim's.

I would definitely read more from this author based on what I read in this book.
Erica
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this delicate telling of domestic abuse, choices, and grace. The characters were believable and well-developed. The story kept me interested and flowed easily.
Athena Thomas
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
how life twists and turns … the choices we make AND the choices made for us that can shape our path … finding the true love of Christ to help you move forward -- wonderful story of forgiveness
Shirley Conley
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a story the characters so real you feel like you know them. The story of guilt, abuse, faith and grace. You want to know more about these people and the long term outcomes. Loved it.
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
After living in foster care most of her life, bouncing from home to home, Kim had acquired a beautician's license, working in a salon with several other women. She feels successful other than not being married and raising a family.

Rick grew up in foster care for a few years, then lived the balance of his life with his father, who was an alcoholic and abusive.

Kim and Rick meet and quickly move in together, getting pregnant early on despite using precautions. Rick's abuse starts early in their
Theresa
Jun 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every female - teen through adult
Recommended to Theresa by: Alison Strobel
"The Weight of Shadows" is an extremely well written book about domestic violence and abuse. Alison delicately, but truthfully, handles the subject and makes this a book that every female should read. Although it has some disturbing situations, this one is going to be required reading for my daughter. Abuse is not always seen by the person involved until it's too late, and this book points out those signs, while incorporating them into a gripping story.

This is a book I couldn't put down. It was
Jun 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
From My Blog...[return][return]The Weight of Shadows by Alison Strobel is a beautiful and heart-wrenching novel about the redemptive powers of forgiveness and love. Kim meets Rick at a party, the first guy she has ever dated and falls in love and it is not too long before he becomes abusive, yet Kim believes she deserves the abuse. Debbie Truman runs the Safe In His Arms shelter for women of domestic abuse. While she helps women every day she is unable to unburden herself of the guilt she clings ...more
Christy Lockstein
May 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Weight of Shadows by Alison Strobel is a moving novel about the power of secrets. Kim has been running from a terrible night seven years ago while trying to build a life for herself after a childhood in foster care. Rick seems to be everything she's ever wanted, but their relationship moves so fast, they've moved in together after only three months. Their neighbor Joshua is starting over with his four-year-old daughter Maddie after the death of his wife from breast cancer. After the loss of ...more
Tiffanie
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Overall good book; story is about a woman who grew up in foster care bounced from family to family an has ended up with a roommate basically renting a room from her. Their not friends an have nothing in common but at one of the parties she throws she meets a guy who seems to be wonderful. 3 months after dating he asks her to move in to his apt with him. Then he starts to beat her. rarely at first making it seem more like an accident. Then she ends up pregnant but he still continues to beat her. ...more
Nancy
May 19, 2010 rated it liked it
The book opens with Kim, the protagonist, attending a party in her apartment. Coincidentally, it is her birthday but nobody knows. Kim grew up foster care and has never celebrated birthdays. Enter Rick, handsome, edgy, charming, and also grew up between foster care and a physically abusive father.

Meanwhile, Joshua, a recently widowed father of 4 year old Maddie, is looking over medical bills and deciding to sell his house in order to pay bills. Recently pink slipped from his job, Joshua and
Renee
Apr 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
If you're in the mood for a light, fluffy read you probably won't want to read this book but if you want a dramatic, gritty, realistic book, pick up The Weight of Shadows! This is my first encounter with author Alison Strobel's work and I'm really glad that I had the opportunity to "meet" her through blogging and reading her book.

As a person who knows someone who is currently dealing with a domestic violence I can say that Alison's portrayal of Kim's story is very authentic. I couldn't help but
Debra Slonek
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
Powerful, well written book which followed three main characters, all with issues of their own. Kim, a product of the foster care system, had been practicing self-harm, and was led into a physically and mentally abusive relationship. Josh, a young, grieving widower, was putting his life back together, while raising a young daughter and dealing with difficult in-laws. Debbie was running a busy, women's shelter, was overworked and needed more in her life. The descriptive, gritty realism worked ...more
Libby
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An excellently written book. It explores the subject of domestic violence. Three different stories are woven and then they come together in an unexpected way. I highly recommend it. One of the things that I really liked about the book is the fact that the author brought out that women from all different walks of life can become victims of domestic violence. Because the breaking down happens gradually and and warning signs early on in the relationship aren't recognized or are brushed aside. And ...more
Catherine
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Melissa
Mar 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Although difficult to read at times, Strobel's latest brings the often hidden subject of domestic abuse into the light. It's heart-wrenching to get a glimpse into the reasons why someone might stay with an abuser, but it makes the redemption and healing that much more satisfying.
SUMMARY: Kim survived a troubled childhood moving from one foster family to another. A tragic event has marred her life, and Kim doesn't believe she deserves happiness. Yet when she meets Rick, it seems as if all of her
Elaine
Jun 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, christian, abuse
On Kindle, at about 30%, this novel picks up some and becomes interesting.

Romance novels tend to overuse descriptions of foods, clothes worn, conversations, and The Weight of Shadows is among those that do, however, only in part and peppered throughout and not to the superlative where it makes a non-romance lover, gag.

Kim is severely abused by her boyfriend physically, emotionally, and mentally. He sometimes buys her things afterward as way of apology; other times, with a "get-over-it"
Kristina
Aug 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. I loved it so much I just couldn't put it down. The story follows Kim, a woman who wants to trust someone to love her, Joshua who has lost his wife and has to raise his daughter under the scrutiny of his in-laws and Debbie a woman running a battered woman's shelter. In the end all of their lives intertwine, but the entire book is a beautiful story. Strobel shows how God uses each of these people (and in a not preachy way at all) for His Glory. I highly recommend it! (And ...more
Carol
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Kim starts life out a little rough, becomes a part of the system due to bad parenting and becoming a foster child. As we know that is not always the best situation for children and it wasn't for her as well. She made bad choices but did the best she could with what she knew. She finds herself in a bad relationship and thinks it is punishment that is due her. Read the book and ask yourself what would you have done?
Lynn Spencer
Dec 12, 2012 added it
Shelves: dnf
I got this book as a gift last year, so I felt like I should at least give it a try. I made it about 1/3 of the way through before I just had to give up. This book is basically an inspirational version of a Jodi Picoult novel. Add to that thin characterizations and a plot that sounds like every domestic violence pamphlet I've ever read, and I felt like I was reading the script to a public service announcement. Not my thing.
Elizabeth Ray
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was really good. I couldn't stop reading!! I knew right away how the three characters' lives would intersect, but there was still a surprise at the end that I did not see coming! I think Alison really understood the mindset of someone like Kim (and why she put herself in the situation she did) and transferred that to her reader. I applaud Alison for writing about such difficult subjects. She is quickly turning into a new favorite author.
Patty Blaney
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it
decent book. It dealt with a tough topic. I didn't like all the in your face religion that was there. I think there was a way to bring across the religion without making it seem quite so forced and not as natural as it could have been. However, I did enjoy the book and did like how it came full circle at the end and it did end well
Joann
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked this book, but it was pretty predictable. I saw the major plot points coming from way down the road. There was one twist at the end that came as a surprise to me, so it was the only one that wasn't telegraphed. I did like the characters, although the in-laws were strangely one-dimensional. I will try another book by this author, because she's on the right track.
Crystal
Apr 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book was a fast read (finished it in a day), but the overall story was contrived. The entire story was predictable and the characters seemed to be driven by the plot and not their own choices. The abuse relationship was fairly realistic, though I felt it was unbalanced in the way it was told. The author obviously started with an ending and wrote the story to meet that end.
Kim
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up at a used book store and I'm so glad I did. I liked how the author portrayed the situation and helped readers to understand why someone might be willing to stay in a bad situation. I felt like the characters were real and the storyline belieable. The added Christian parts were a bonus. I don't read much Christian fiction but I should.
Rev. Linda
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My first read for this author, and picked a really powerful book to begin. This one tracks four story lines, and has a theme of the reality of domestic abuse and why some women will remain with abusers. Had some very graphic scenes that reminded me of stories from when I volunteered at a shelter...a really good book but not for the weak at heart.
Margaret Chind
Oct 11, 2009
Jennifer Wardrip
Dec 29, 2009
Autumn
Feb 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book was such a great tribute to people who have lived through some pretty rough circumstances. It was a fast read and made you cheer for the characters. Ultimately, a beautiful picture of God's grace.
Jenny Courville
pam
May 29, 2010
C.J. Darlington
May 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read this in one day. Even set down another book I was reading because I had to find out what happened! Very compelling and realistic look at domestic violence and its causes. Plus a nice twist at the end I didn't see coming.
Kmh
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
FREE ebook download of The Weight fo Shadows! 1 6 Jun 16, 2010 12:59PM

• The Canary List
  • Friending: Real Relationships in a Virtual World
  • What a Pair! (Double Trouble Book #1)
  • Thr3e
  • Irrevocable (Irrevocable Duet #1)
  • The Light of Eidon (Legends of the Guardian-King, #1)
  • Shatter (The Children of Man, #1)
  • Bought By Two: MMF Bisexual Romance
  • The Unicorn Dancer
  • The Mind's Eye
  • The Unsuspecting Mage (The Morcyth Saga, #1)
  • Witch's Bell 1 (Witch's Bell #1)
  • Silverhawk
  • Memory Scents
  • Next Door (Chloe Fine Mystery #1)
  • No Fear
  • Temptation Ridge (Virgin River, #6)
  • The Perfect Block (Jessie Hunt #2)
Alison is a women's fiction novelist who writes books about life, love, and faith. Her sophomore release, "Violette Between," was a RITA Award finalist in 2007. She lives in Colorado with her husband (with whom she has co-authored two children's books) and their two daughters.