Start by marking “Chosen Ones (Aedyn Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
Chosen Ones (Aedyn Chronicles #1)

Chosen Ones

(Aedyn Chronicles #1)

The land of Aedyn, once under the peaceful rule of the Great King, has been overtaken by mysterious lords who trust only in their own reason. Two children called from our world have the power to lead the revolution, but will they find the courage to face their own destiny?
Published May 1st 2010 by Zondervan (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Chosen Ones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chosen Ones

Start your review of Chosen Ones (Aedyn Chronicles #1)
Sarah Amelia
Mar 22, 2016 rated it liked it
2.5 stars. This book was okay. It seems a lot more Middle Grade than YA. It's also not that exciting then end picks up some. It's VERY similar to Narnia. Siblings wisked away to a mysterious fantasy land where they have to help because someone has taken over the land. They then gather a group of people who are good and fight. The brother is even named Peter *facepalm*. The battle part of the book is also poorly done. From what I read( I skimmed the end) the battle is roughly two or three pages ...more
Shalor T.
Nov 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Another reviewer stated that this book copies heavily from the Chronicles of Narnia & they're correct. From the very second the two children appear in Aedyn, I began to see the multiple similarities between the two. Just like in `The Lion, The Witch, & the Wardrobe", you have children who must save the land from an evil ruler (in this case rulers) & you have a mysteriously powerful figure who helps lead the children (although the person in this isn't a God stand-in). If this book ...more
Elizabeth Dragina
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't know what to think....

It claims to be a Christian Fantasy and yet there is dark magic...

It's way to close to Narnia... like, WAY to close.

It had an extremely slow start.... *bored sigh*

A little unrealistic characters... with no explanation of how they could scream that way or why the villains faces were so grotesque.

It's a meh definitely.
R.J. Rodda
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Engaging fantasy for 8-12 year olds who like Narnia. The language is easy to read and the storyline is engaging. It seems to draw inspiration from the Exodus story (a chosen one whose role is to free the slaves). Its a treacherous world but nothing too frightening happens. Highly recommended. ...more
Emily Woodham
Oct 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
We really liked this book, and the kids would ask for "one more chapter" every time I read. It had a good storyline and moved fast.

Unfortunately, the editing isn't very good. There are some beautiful phrases in the book, and I wish the publisher had allowed the author (I'm assuming that the publisher/editor/agent had something to do with this rather than the author) more pages for his writing. It felt like a great mind had been reined in. At times, the story felt stilted and rushed.

This is the
jillian n.
Aug 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I had high hopes for this book, but it kinda failed them all. The actual writing wasn't bad, but I felt that this was a cheap(ish) imitation of The Chronicles of Narnia. The plot was dry and rushed, things didn't connect as they should've, there were times I was thinking "how could these kids be so stupid?" or "how is it possible that these kids know so much?". But don't let me turn you off from this bookthere was plenty of excitement, action, not to mention impossible situations that kinda have ...more
Debbie
Jun 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
"Chosen Ones" is a Middle Grade fantasy novel, but I think kids ages 5-9 would actually enjoy the story (being read to them) the most. There were some black and white drawings of the events in the story, but unfortunately they weren't that accurate to the details in the text.

The first half of the story was full of detail--most of it unnecessary to the story--which slowed the action. Very little happened. Many of the details were also very obviously based off of various "Chronicles of Narnia"
Becky B
Sep 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Christian fantasy
Chris
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: Chosen Ones is the story of two children, drawn into another world by a monk to save the enslaved people of Aedyn from their evil oppressors.

Review:

While Chosen Ones is an easy, quick read, and has a clear allusion to Christian beliefs and morals, the story itself was merely OK. Much of the story is written without any drama or build up and is predictable. For example, the monk in the story simply tells one of the main characters "I need you to fulfill a prophesy".

I'm sorry but, this
Jeff Whittum
Apr 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Okay, I suppose are few words of explanation are in order whenever you give a book a one star rating. Truth be told, I'm not one to usually rate a book so low and I don't like writing reviews, but in this case I think it is warranted.

First, allow me to praise the author of this book...FOR THINGS OTHER THAN THIS BOOK. I enjoy McGrath's lectures on theology and debates against atheists. In that world he has few equals. Fantasy fiction, however, evidently cannot be successfully written by just any
Sunny
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This book was obviously written for small children. I can see maybe a five year old liking it. However, the story was quite dull as I plodded my way through it. The author's descriptions were lacking in detail and so simplistic that I found it difficult to imagine the supposed splendor of the land. This book was frustrating as you're never drawn into the story. Unnecessary details are given out, characters are introduced that contribute little to the story. Glad I got this book for free.
Katherine
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story! 4.5 stars!
Courtney
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
It was a struggle for me to get through this book. The characters were dullthe author did add some character development for Julia and Peter, but the side characters were absolutely neglected and remained flat until the end. The plot was unoriginal, taking too much after the Chronicles of Narnia, as I've also read on other reviews. I think it could've been a really great story, but the author didn't develop it enough. The "great battle" between the slaves and the lords was anticlimactic and ...more
Kristin Plumier
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent story

I found the story line fairly interesting, but found the suspense and action to be a bit lacking. However if you're looking for a decent story to read, it's not terrible.
Glenn
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a good book for 8-13 year olds... Good story, blends in a couple of good topics to work through with an ending that makes you want to read the next book. Did leave a couple of questions unanswered.
Hannah
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
This author's resemblance to C.S. Lewis is phenomenal. The only writer who can write books " like Narnia" or " like Jane Austen" is an author who is personally remarkably like the classic author in question. Sadly, most of the Jane Austen fanfiction is written by women who are nothing like Jane herself and their books are nothing like her famous novels.
But here we have a new C.S. Lewis. He even works at the same university and specializes in theology! lol C.S. Lewis has COME BACK! If you like
Aelvana
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Peter and Julia have been sent to spend the holidays with their grandparents. But what should have been a boring trip changes utterly as they are swept into another world. Hailed as the Chosen Ones, they enter the kingdom of Aedyn and confront a destiny beyond what either of them would have imagined. Can two ordinary kids stand against the three immortal rulers: Wolf, Jackal, and Leopard?

I have to give this a lot of credit for being a faith-based fantasy adventure that is actually decently
Melissa Frye
May 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
The Aedyn Chronicles: Chosen Ones by Alister McGrath

When we read a fantasy novel, we expect to be transported in some way. We want to be introduced to foreign worlds or foreign ideas. One of the reasons to read a fantasy is the desire to experience, if only through imagination, something new and unexpected. While The Aedyn Chronicles: Chosen Ones does transport us to another world it doesnt quite give us anything new nor does it surpass expectations.

Peter and Julia, fourteen and thirteen
Janet
May 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen-fiction
Summary:
Join two siblings as they embark on a journey to overthrow three tyrants in a realm parallel to ours.

Thoughts:
I have many good things to say about this book. It is particularly great for children. It is written in a style as if a story is being told to you by another, rather than the events folding out presently. It is clear, concise and quick to the point. The storyline is very linear, without much surprise, but it is an enjoyable read nonetheless.
Parents shouldnt worry about any
Wendy
May 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Julia and her brother Peter are drawn into the fountain in their grandparent's yard on a silvery night, drawn into another world where they meet an 500 year old monk who knows the legend of 2 children who will come to rescue his people from their oppressors. The story is appropriate for children and early teens, it does not have an overabundance of description or character depth but enough to understand what the land is like and what the people are like which is appropriate for that age. Similar ...more
Trine
Aug 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Two children jump into a pool in a mysterious garden and end up in a different world where they seem to be destined to save the world from its evil rulers.
Yes, this book resembles the Narnia series quite a lot but without Lewis' easy charm and subtle message. It annoys me to read a book that so clearly is meant to be an allegory but where I can't figure out what the allegory is. As a children's fantasy it is okay, but the christian message seems just to be that there is an all-powerful being who
Steve
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short novel is a wonderful children's fantasy with major religious influence. I hesitate to give it four stars because I kept thinking the whole time I was reading it that it was a complete rip-off of C.S. Lewis' Narnia series--specifically The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, but I enjoyed the story even though it seriously lacked originality.

Children who like the Narnia series will likely enjoy this one as well.
CJ Bowen
Read like the extended outline of a quite decent fantasy epic, rather than the finished product. The religious aspect clunks, and the characters often realize things that the author wants the reader to realize, rather than realizations emerging from the story itself. If Tolkien and Lewis are fine fantasy dining, this book is a step above fast food. Maybe Cracker Barrel or Bob Evans. Don't avoid this book, but don't get dressed up in order to eat it, either.
Scott
Jan 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Others have compared it to the Chronicles of Narnia. The writing style and level would support that. I found it more of a simple Old Testament allegory. There are parallels to the escape from Egypt, crossing the Red Sea, Jericho, the Passover and blatant references to the Lord of Hosts and the coming Redeemer. The "battle" and young heroine/hero though just didn't convince me; a bit too easy, contrived and simplistic.
Margaret Metz
This was short, simple and obviously borrowed a lot from Narnia. It wasn't bad but I didn't feel drawn in. It would be a good book for children but older than maybe middle school wouldn't find it interesting enough. There wasn't any character development - no subtle hinting in the storyline... It was pretty straightforward.
Andrew
Oct 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you loved The Chronicles of Narnia, you'll love this book! Julia and Peter, brother and sister, are going to be visiting their grandma and grandpa's house over their school break. In a couple of days, their father, a navy commander, will be visiting them. The day before his visit, they are transported to another world. Will they survive?
Paula Howard
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Chosen Ones by Alister E. McGrath is a very well written Christian analogy. Aedyn is a island of long ago that was inhabited by a peaceful people. Greed and power of three men too over and the overthrew Markus the ruler. For 500 years the people have lived in slavery. Enter Peter and Julia for present time who are transported to Aedyn to fulfill their destiny.
Tim
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked this book and it's totally worth reading. I read this book by accident, I thought I was getting a theology book from the library, not a fantasy adventure. I was instantly reminded of C. S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia.
Jstrick
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
If you miss C.S. Lewis and wish he had written a few more stories in the Narnia series, this book might be worth reading. Where it needs not be similar to Lewis, it is; and where it needs to be similar to Lewis, it is not. All in all, this story is truly ok.
Mandy
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
Julia and Peter think that spending their vacation with their grandparents will be pretty uneventful. But after they are transported to a new land from the garden fountain and are deemed "The Chosen Ones," they find out how wrong they were!
chosen ones 1 8 Aug 07, 2010 07:08AM

• Phoenix Rising
  • Son of Mars (The Marius Scrolls, #1)
  • Warriors Don't Cry: A Searing Memoir of the Battle to Integrate Little Rock's Central High
  • Princess Nevermore (Princess Nevermore and the Wizard's Apprentice, #1)
  • The Summer of Moonlight Secrets
  • Memories of Summer
  • Our Town
  • The Glass Menagerie
  • Son (The Giver Quartet, #4)
  • Every Last Word
  • Messenger (The Giver, #3)
  • Pleasing People: How not to be an "approval junkie"
  • Emília no País da Gramática
  • How to Be Like Women of Influence: Life Lessons from 20 of the Greatest
  • Living Beyond Your Feelings: Controlling Emotions So They Don't Control You
  • Why Men Love Bitches
  • What Makes a Man Feel Loved?
  • How to Talk to Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere: The Secrets of Good Communication
Alister Edgar McGrath is a Northern Irish theologian, priest, intellectual historian, scientist, and Christian apologist. He currently holds the Andreas Idreos Professorship in Science and Religion in the Faculty of Theology and Religion at the University of Oxford, and is Professor of Divinity at Gresham College. He was previously Professor of Theology, Ministry, and Education at King's College ...more

Aedyn Chronicles (3 books)
  • Flight of the Outcasts (Aedyn Chronicles #2)
  • Darkness Shall Fall (Aedyn Chronicles #3)

News & Interviews