Start by marking “Self-Therapy: A Step-By-Step Guide to Creating Inner Wholeness Using IFS, a New, Cutting-Edge Therapy” as Want to Read:

Understand your psyche in a clear and comprehensive way, and resolve deep-seated emotional issues... 'Self-Therapy' makes the power of a cutting-edge psychotherapy approach accessible to everyone. Internal Family Systems Therapy (IFS) has been spreading rapidly across the country in the past decade. It is incredibly effective on a wide variety of life issues, such as self- ...more
Published September 15th 2009 by Mill City Press, Inc. (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Self-Therapy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Self-Therapy

Morgan Blackledge
Jun 28, 2015 rated it liked it
People tend to think of themselves as one thing. I am me. But right there, the idea that "I" am "me" connotes a certain division between a "noticing" part (I) and a thinking, feeling, behaving, relating part (me).

Even a cursory inspection reveals that, at least on some level, the "individual" personality is made out of "parts".

Somewhat metaphorically but also quite literally, these "parts" compete for dominance of our behavior.

I assume everyone has had the experience of feeing conflicted abou
Ben
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First 3 chapters are incredibly helpful. The rest is more elaboration that I skimmed.
Ruan
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Accessible and systematic overview and guidance to the Inner Family Systems (IFS) approach which deals with inner child matters and puts it in a broad perspective. Empowers lay people to cooperate or apply on their own or with each other rather than being only dependent on professional therapists. Builds on awareness of the fact that in any upset state or in any internal conflict there is part of us that fully buys into that perspective but one or more other parts that don't. At our core is a sp ...more
Lordy Rozard
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting concept, and mostly believable. You can testify it yourself.

Konsepnya pada dasarnya adalah bahwa jiwa kita terdiri dari bagian-bagian. Tiap bagian adalah entitas yang otonom dan memiliki peranannya masing-masing. Bagian-bagian ini diperkuat dengan kejadian-kejadian yang kita alami sepanjang hidup kita, hingga akhirnya tiap bagian akan membentuk sub-kepribadian tersendiri, dan secara timbal balik berperan sebagai cara kita berinteraksi dengan kejadian yang kita alami sehari-hari.
Cicely Nelson
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This isn't a book you really finish as such, it's more like a user's manual to your psyche. So I've read through it once and done a few of the exercises, but I feel I've only just begun to appreciate its role in my inner life and I expect it's definitely a book I'll have nearby for many years to come. Best self-help book I've ever read. Highly recommend.
Emily
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
THE BEST BOOK OF MY LIFE! I RECOMMEND IT TO EVERYONE
Courtney Waller
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-therapy
IFS has helped me greatly in my own self-knowledge and self therapy journey. This book breaks down the concepts in accessible pieces and has exercises to help you through the process.
Suhrob
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
You are a no-nonsense physicalist interested in science, rationality and such.
Why would you read a soft-on-the-head touchy-feely psychology book with childish illustrations, talking about little people living inside your had?

I'm definitely not the target demographics. Yet, I think that anthropologizing certain behavioral, affecitive and belief patterns can be actually powerful. We are built to deal with agents, so miss-appropriating these skills for personal psychological development could work.
Harri Besceli
May 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Basic idea: view your 'psyche' as composed of different parts. At different points, different parts of you will control your behaviour. The behaviour of these parts is often maladaptive, but the intentions of the parts are always to help you. A key type of part is a 'protector' whose role is to protect you from unpleasant memories, experiences etc. but can often become activated in the wrong context (eg. a part making you defensive when someone criticises you).

Good: The core insight of yourself
Luiz Fabricio
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psicologia
I will try it...eventually

The internal family model is very compelling. Feels much like EMDR in some aspects, what makes me believe it more, as I’m an EMDR practitioner. However, I’m not convinced much deep advancement can be done without a partner. As it seems like you can go far with a well meaning partner or licensed practitioner, I believe the protectors probably will disrupt deeper work of the lone self therapist.

The model SELF<->PROTECTOR <->EZILE seems workable and intuitive
Rachel
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant and very helpful.
Joy
Not bad, but I couldn't complete it.
Daniel
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book, that makes integrating your various, sometimes, disparate psyche, into a whole.
Rivka Edery, MSW, LCSW
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a FANTASTIC guide to understanding parts work, and working with it individually, with a therapist, or as a therapist. An amazing gift - thank you, Jay Earley!
Stacy Ruse Counseling
Very clear. Good examples
Amberphlame
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Mandi
Dec 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: spiritual
Zero Stars. NEW AGE GARBAGE. I PRAY YOU FIND JESUS <3
Darlene
never finished it....will try another time
Teresa
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Reading this now.... long overdue work on self. Seems like a logical model so far.
Lee Ann
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Easy and effective techniques.
Elaine
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
so far a gret and helpful book and awesome resource
Carrie
Tim Josling
Dec 05, 2018
  • Internal Family Systems Therapy
  • Real-Time Relationships: The Logic of Love
  • Transforming Trauma: A Guide to Understanding and Treating Adult Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse
  • Healing Trauma
  • Learning from the Voices in My Head
  • Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR): Basic Principles, Protocols, and Procedures
  • The Misleading Mind: How We Create Our Own Problems and How Buddhist Psychology Can Help Us Solve Them
  • Not Quite Nirvana: A Skeptic's Journey to Mindfulness
  • A Legacy of Madness: Recovering My Family from Generations of Mental Illness
  • Mindfulness & Psychotherapy
  • How to Win Any Argument: Without Raising Your Voice, Losing Your Cool, or Coming to Blows
  • Learning to Laugh When You Feel Like Crying: Embracing Life After Loss
  • The Myth of Mental Illness: Foundations of a Theory of Personal Conduct
  • The Nice Girl Syndrome: Stop Being Manipulated and Abused -- And Start Standing Up for Yourself
  • Misadventures of a Garden State Yogi: My Humble Quest to Heal My Colitis, Calm My ADD, and Find the Key to Happiness
  • Self Confidence: The Remarkable Truth of Why a Small Change Can Make a Big Difference
  • Silently Seduced: When Parents Make their Children Partners - Understanding Covert Incest
  • Intimacy & Desire: Awaken the Passion in Your Relationship
Jay Earley, Ph.D., is a transformational psychologist, group leader, psychotherapist, coach, author, teacher, and theorist.

Jay is trained in Internal Family Systems Therapy and assists with professional trainings in IFS. He leads IFS Classes for the general public which teach IFS as a practice for self-help and peer counseling. He is active in the IFS community and has presented a number of worksh