Start by marking “2 States: The Story of My Marriage” as Want to Read:
2 States: The Story of My Marriage

2 States: The Story of My Marriage

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  83,690 ratings  ·  2,873 reviews
Love marriages around the world are simple: Boy loves girl. Girl loves boy. They get married. In India, there are a few more steps: Boy loves Girl. Girl loves Boy. Girl's family has to love boy. Boy's family has to love girl. Girl's Family has to love Boy's Family. Boy's family has to love girl's family. Girl and Boy still love each other. They get married.

Welcome to 2 Sta
Published October 8th 2009 by Rupa & Co

To ask other readers questions about 2 States, please sign up.
S.R. Arya It is a great book with a common story line treated in a cheerful, witty tone. I loved it because it made me laugh in most lines. And it will be unfai…moreIt is a great book with a common story line treated in a cheerful, witty tone. I loved it because it made me laugh in most lines. And it will be unfair to compare it with most other books out there. Because every single book is different and depicts unique expertise behind it. Two states is very contemporary and hilarious. Loved the narrative. It is quite filmy. But that's what made it so entertaining. A recommended read!(less)
S.R. Arya The simple Indian story has been narrated in such a hilarious way. Moreover it has personal elements of the author's courtship. Saying this, it is com…moreThe simple Indian story has been narrated in such a hilarious way. Moreover it has personal elements of the author's courtship. Saying this, it is completely unavoidable fact that in real life love marriages have to go through a lot of hardships. I adore this story for treating such a serious thing like facing the hardships in convincing two different families of completely two different cultures into a cheerful read. The narrative is fast and witty. At times though I felt that a few scenes could be presented in a better way. But overall, it is a great read. Loved it!(less)

·  83,690 ratings  ·  2,873 reviews

Start your review of 2 States: The Story of My Marriage
Keerthy
Feb 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Chetan Bhagat, in my opinion, might not have read any good book in his life, except Mills and Boons. Now, he might be India's bestselling author, but he can never be a best writer, if he goes on writing this stuff. I never see any substance in his writing, no standard. If there is any in 5 Point Someone, it has been on the wane since then!
Though I started reading this book, just to know how not to write, I hate myself for reading his books. Should read atleast 10 classics to exonerate myself fro
Amit Mishra
Apr 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
It was a like a girl in IIT hostel and a boy in the IIT hostel... much much like two states! What else can you do, Chetan?
Riku Sayuj
Mar 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-to-be-read

The book is bad, the movie is not any better. Don't watch the movie unless you crave some IIM A nostalgia, but honestly that is a pretty lame excuse too. The fancy campus you see in the movie is not the real one, which is much cooler just by not trying so hard.

I could write about the stereotypes that drive the weak story-line, but as Vigil Idiot says, it is too boring to even comment on. Instead take a peep here for more North-South action: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show.... We really nee
Neha
Jan 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
There is Fiction, then there is Drama and then there is Bollywood.. well 2 States is definitely not the former 2.. being Bollywood end to end. At time you think it is a script written for a movie & by chance printed as a book.

Long back when I read Chetan's 5 pt Someone, I liked it, as in it was a fresh perspective touching the educated youth of today - it wasn't movie stuff but definitely a piece of my life or those around me. Then came 'One Night at the Call Centre' - It was ok ok, not so real
Julia
Dec 21, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned, india
I'm about 30 pages in and I was having high expectataion on this book warmly recommended to me by some Indian friendes. Chetan Bhagat is one of the most-beloved Indian authors writing in English, but as everywhere, the best-loved isn't always the best literature.

The characters are unpleasant and boring, the dialogues flat and the situations seem contrived - I can't relate to the sense of humour at all and the writing sounds like some chit-chat of university students, the narrator being a nerdy
Udits11
Mar 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
There are two types of fiction books written by Indian authors - 1. the good ones, and 2. those written by Chetan Bhagat.

Chetan Bhagat is the best selling Indian author. I don't dispute his mass appeal. His books are local, easy to read and relatable. But are they good works of literature? No. Anyway, I don't want to spend this review discussing Bhagat's style, inspiration, appeal etc. I'll get straight to 2 States.

2 States is classic Bhagat. Drama drama drama. Abusive father, abused mother, hau
Jegan
Oct 19, 2009 rated it liked it
First Things First.

The Moment i Finished reading the 269th page of the Book and closed it. All I wanted to do, Is to meet these 2 ppl - Krish and Ananya ( The 2 Characters in the Book ) to give them a Big salute.

All the course of the Book i was looking around to see whether the things said in the book are really happening or its Jus a Book tat im reading.

The events, the reactions , the acts are so so real tat at times you feel ur reading ur own Biography.

The book is was so grippin right from the
Ramakrishnan M
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is not a book for the (pseudo or otherwise) intellectual. This is not meant for the hyper-sensitive-I-am-hurt-by-your-comments individual. Above all, this is most certainly not meant for I-am-a-Punju-and-I-rock or the I-am-Tam-Brahm-and-we-are-the-best-there-can-be.

This is a book for those looking for some entertainment; those who can laugh at themselves; those who can derive amusement from minor observations made by the author; ones who can understand that the author is stretching the trut
Siddharth Bharath
Dec 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: shit
It looks like I'm forced to give the book a rating to write a review for it. Usually I'd ignore the ratings and reviews but I feel obliged to save the world from the pain and agony of reading this book.
Why did I read it myself? Well I found I had a few hours to kill one day while at a relative's place and the only book there was this one so I went ahead and read it. After having read five point someone, my better sense warned me with vehemence to avoid this book like the plague. My time would ha
Ambreen
Jul 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
A typical bollywood love story. Both the lovers are from different states, hence the title "2 states" and their families are very traditional and narrow minded, not to mention stereotypical.
It had a lot of humour, though sometimes it felt as if the writer was trying too hard to be funny.
Also, if you are a south indian and get easily offended, you might not want to read this book.
Overall it was pretty good and a light read !
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Apart from the obvious take on being really sexist and bringing up a typical male protagonist who loves to whine, I liked the book for the multicultural representation and making this book a better one with the story more towards bringing in the parents and make them as characters which stood out.
Out of the many Chetan's books (by that I read all his published books so far!) I have read so far, this one is more mature and realistic. Of course, the masala parts do make the book fun. But you're w
Nikhat Hetavkar
Aug 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Bollywood fanatics, Indian who dont mind fluff candy
Shelves: filmy, indian-authors, own
After hearing my friends all gushing over 3 mistakes of my life, I very apprehensively picked up the book and really didn't understand the whole deal about "Chetan Bhagat". Hence when I started reading 2 states, I had terribly low expectations but the book suprised me. It is sweet,witty and totally "filmy". It was like watching a Bollywood movie unravel itself right there on the pages. The one things I absolutely hate about Bhagat books are the female characters. They are way too cliched. He wri ...more
Sapphire
Dec 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indian-authors
Many people will certainly think before reading a Chetan Bhagat novel for sure,but this book is definately a quick read & enjoyable too.

The plot is basically Punjbi-Tamilian warfront.

Bollywood masala is the flavour for the book but still enjoyable.Krish(Punjabi by birth) and Ananya (Tamilian) both fall fo each other while completing their MBA from IIM-A. After a no problem love story of two years ,a major problem is to be confronted-PARENTS.

As we all know for all north indians ,south indians are
daph_pink
Here comes yet another disaster from CB an ignominious IITian, a banker, regular columnist {oh lord! Why?} And a want to be youth icon!

I am not going to tell again how much I dislike him or his thinking or the way he portrays his double standard characters.

So here comes the review
I could not finish reading the book because of the way the male protagonist portrays his lover. there are many indirectly derogatory remarks made towards her and other women including issues on weight, complexion and
Usman Hickmath
Apr 14, 2017 rated it liked it
The mood and the situation we are in while reading certain novels could have a significant influence on how much we like them-especially on the ones we complete in one or two sittings. Just like how some average movies get stuck in our memory: the ones we watched with friends bunking classes or the first movie with the love.

Two States is one such novel.
suchi
Dec 19, 2009 rated it liked it
I think I read some light and easy book after a very long stint of series of heavy and dense books. So, the change was welcome :). This was just another book from Chetan Bhagat in his own free-floating prose. Somehow, I could feel a connection with the book, owning to my Punjabi background. I could strongly and closely relate to routine incidents as in how the miss of ghee in a dal can cause fury, the lavish fat ceremonies, the expectations from children and last but not the least - the naming c ...more
Quirky Omega
I don't have anything too good to say about Chetan Bhagat's writing. It often reads like someone is trying to be too cool and using English slang to appear hip and young.

But this book somehow, despite all the author's usual misgivings, appealed to me. I would quite honestly, read it again given a chance. It is that cute.

And the romance? I swear, I tingled sometimes. Can you imagine? Tingling! Huh. It was a novel experience 5 years back. It still is.
Praj
May 19, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: wwwwwh
Love is a temporary madness. However in case of Mr. Bhagat it leads to severe psychosis with sprinkles of idiocy. The man thinks he is a NOVELIST. HELP!!!! Where’s my fucking Prozac!!!
Muddle head
Aug 03, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: i-own, indian-fiction
I just completed this one and wanted to write out the review immediately before i start hating it more.

First impression, it's manageable, anyone who has been thru an inter-community marriage definitely gets to relate to this story. I only say 'relate' not actually 'like'. Here are some fine observations:

1) Chetan bhagat has this uncanny ability to show love stories with some post-processed attitude. I mean everyone knows that when in love we are actually all starry-eyed, but then when we contem
Vaibhavi Sharma
Mar 21, 2012 rated it liked it
one up for chetan bhagat because humourous books are rare to find.
the books lacks an interesting story, thought some of the phrases and facts are so true they make you laugh out loud and look like a wierdo who is in the middle of laughing fits.
Krish(our hero :P) is such a sweetheart and that's why he is not even close to how boys are in the real world.
my favourite character was krish's mother and ofcourse Pammi aunty. the way she has been described makes you rewind and think about people you kno
Devanshi Gupta
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This book has been on my mind for so long. This is one of the most popular authors of India and this is his most popular book. I'm surprised I haven't read it earlier.
This was better than I had expected. Nowadays his writing has deteriorated too much, but this is a book Chetan Bhagat wrote in his golden days.
I liked certain aspects of this book. The stuff he said about inter-caste marriages in India is absolutely true. They're frowned upon; they're extremely rare. And someone who tries to spea
Harish Challapalli
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: romantic readers, naughty boys/girls
The three mistakes of my life:
1. Reading Two states very lately.
2. Reading it in a public place. (I couldn't control my giggling & the people around me looked me as if i was mad.)
3. For not reading it second time.

This is the best romantic book I have read til date. Its a feel good story. One can find a breeze of romance through out the book. It also included a slight humor, which might be offensive to some one.

I have an opinion on Chetan Bhagat(after reading his earlier works) that his books s
Rosie Nguyễn
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Omg I hate love stories. But I couldn't put this book down until I finished it, and I did just some hours after someone gave me as a gift. A novel about Indian contemporary love and marriage. Based on the author's true stories. What I found intriguing is that the book reveals a lot about Indian current context of society, culture, young generation, with the conflict between regions. Written in a witty voice that made me crack up. Brilliant.

I was surprised to see so many negative reviews about th
Nusrat Mahmood
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: most-favorite, 2014
I love it. Can't wait to watch the movie. It's simple yet interesting. And hats off to Mr. Chetan Bhagat for his wonderful ability to pull many things through a great sarcastic writing style.This is probably my most favorite book written by him :)
VaultOfBooks
Jun 21, 2012 rated it liked it
By Chetan Bhagat; Grade B+

I wouldn't have picked up a Chetan Bhagat book had there not been a renovation going on at my home, and 2 States the only book available. Helpless, and famished to read something for more than two weeks, I squeezed out 2 States from my shelf, where it was as prominent as a pickle in a glass jar, and for some weird reason, seemed easier to take out compared to all the other books lying there.

Love marriages around the world are simple:
Boy loves girl. Girl loves boy.
They g
Summer Breeze
Oh, God. Where should I even start? Let me tell you how I came across this book.

Some of my classmates were reading a couple of Chetan's books and told me that they were great. Now, I'm not sure which ones they referred to, but I hope it isn't this. Anyway, I had this ebook for a couple of years and I always read around twenty pages before completely forgetting about it. In retrospect, I guess my body was trying to protect me like how sometimes trauma victims don't remember anything about the acc
AMASHI
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've become a huge fan of Chetan Bhagat. I love his stories. They are sincere yet thought-provoking. and Two states would be the ideal example. The adorable story of Krish and Ananya enthralled me to the utmost. Not quite adorable when it comes to all the obstacles and controversies they had to confront during the perverse journey to end their love w/ marriage. But still a beautiful story won't be beautiful without a little intensity and tears. I absolutely adore how Ananya and Krish shielded th ...more
Rachna
Dec 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
I'm pretty proud of myself for finishing this book. In a way, I was forced as I read it on the long plane ride home from India. There was a lot of potential with this book - it is a subject that is extremely relevant in Indian society today. The execution, however, was miserable. First, there was so little character development, I couldn't understand any of the character's motives. Why did he fall in love with this girl? what drew him to fight for her? The only thing I could understand about her ...more
Sandeep Pawar
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
As far as I remember, I started reading novels from this book. And as I'm fond of novels and overall reading habit right now, I guess I really liked the book and it triggered my reading appetite. After that I read plenty and now, I'm not sure if I go again to this story, I'll like it the way I had a few years ago.
Still I feel this is one of the best romantic stories in Indian context. Although a bit exaggerated, it peeps into IIM life, North-South rivalry and overall inter-state love hurdles.
A
Soumi
Mar 02, 2014 marked it as to-read
I never intended to read this book based on author's semi-autobiographical love story of two persons from different Indian cultures--Punjabis Vs Tamilians. Though the poster conveying the storyline evoked my anticipation, I'm still not sure about reading it.

description
Is Chetan Bhagat really that bad? 1 10 May 05, 2020 07:34AM
Penis Enlargement: Dos And Don'ts For A Bigger Penis 1 7 Aug 02, 2019 12:21AM
Tera Intezaar 480p Hind (300 MB) khatrimaza worldfree4u 9xmovies 1 6 Dec 02, 2017 07:30AM
Just joined this group! 1 5 Oct 13, 2017 10:44AM
nice post 2 6 Aug 27, 2017 11:34PM
Cool Indian Readers: Book Review 1 8 Apr 02, 2015 08:31AM
book or movie??? 34 302 Jan 25, 2015 04:32AM

• I Too Had a Love Story
  • Can Love Happen Twice?
  • The Immortals of Meluha (Shiva Trilogy, #1)
  • The Secret of the Nagas (Shiva Trilogy #2)
  • The Oath of the Vayuputras (Shiva Trilogy, #3)
  • Wings of Fire: An Autobiography
  • Of Course I Love You...! Till I Find Someone Better...
  • Like It Happened Yesterday
  • Your Dreams Are Mine Now
  • If It's Not Forever. It's Not Love.
  • Scion of Ikshvaku (Ram Chandra #1)
  • She Broke Up, I Didn’t! .... I just kissed someone else!
  • The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari: A Fable About Fulfilling Your Dreams and Reaching Your Destiny
  • Anything for You, Ma'am: An IITian's Love Story
  • You Were My Crush!...till you said you love me!
  • The World's Best Boyfriend
  • Sita: Warrior of Mithila (Ram Chandra #2)
Chetan Bhagat writes op-ed columns for English and Hindi newspapers, including Times of India and Dainik Bhaskar, focusing on youth and issues based on national development. Bhagat is also a motivational speaker and has given talks in leading MNCs and other institutions. He quit his international investment banking career in 2009, to devote his entire time to writing.

In 2008, The New York Times ca

News & Interviews

“The world's most sensible person and the biggest idiot both stay within us. The worst part is, you can't even tell who is who.” 443 likes
“Pretty girls behave best when you ignore them. Of course, they have to know you are ignoring them, for otherwise they may not even know you exist.” 284 likes