Start by marking “Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love” as Want to Read:
Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love

Caring for the Dead: Your Final Act of Love

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  44 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Offers a guide for those making funeral arrangements with or without a funeral director. This book gives the legal requirements of each state, how to obtain and file permits and death certificates, explanations of cremation and embalming, burial procedures, and other necessary information.
Published January 1st 1998 by Upper Access (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Caring for the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caring for the Dead

really liked it 4.00  ·

Erin
Apr 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
After I read an article in Smithsonian on Home Funerals, I had to know more.

This book is exactly what I was looking for -- an encyclopedia of information on taking control of the bureaucracy of death, and dealing with the the remains of a loved one.
When it arrived in the mail, I set it aside, thinking it would be a depressing read. It was not - it was uplifting to read story after story of people taking control, making decisions and taking action - perfo
Ending Well
Excellent on basics, but desperately out of date and in need of a new edition
Kelly
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Care for the Dead…and Their Hard-Earned Savings!

In "Caring for the Dead," Lisa Carlson provides both an informative guide to DIY funerals and cremations, as well as a searing exposé of the funeral and cemetery industries.

Carlson divides her book into three sections: "Personal Stories" is a 40-page introduction to the text in which different individuals (including Carlson) discuss their experiences with death and the subsequent disposal of the dead; "General Information" consists of 14 chapters a
Eli
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Books like this should be required reading for every American who anticipates dying. A short* yet comprehensive analysis of the "American way of death" and its tricks and alternatives, Caring for the Dead opens the reader's eyes to possibilities outside the box (pun intended) and the need for constant vigilance in dealing with the funereal profession. While far from the only book to deal with this subject, it may be one of the most accessible because of its relatively short length and easygoing ...more
Melissa Dally
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
- Interesting true stories of the funeral trade, anecdotes, your rights, etc. I think this is pushing me more and more toward home funerals for me and mine. They have genereal information in the beginning of this book and state-specific information after that. I will admit I glossed over most of the states except Iowa. Interestingly enough, when this book went to print, the death rate in Iowa could support 116 full time mortuaries. We have 582. G'damn! Also in most circumstances, it is really ea ...more
Beth
Aug 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
If you want to know whether or not you can be buried in your back yard you should read this book (the answer depends on what state you live in and whether or not you can get the correct certificates to transport a dead body in a timely fashion). It's also full of useful suggestions like: if you want to make your own coffin and have it handy, you can use it as a bookshelf while you're waiting. This should be attractive to many Good Reads readers.
Amanda
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
A lot of "revealing" stuff I already knew about the funeral industry. I was only looking to find out how to do it all cheaply and without a supposedly needed funeral director. That is found in the last chapter. An entire book is overkill (no pun intended).
Lauren
Mar 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: wishlist
Informative and disturbing -an excellent reference for anyone hoping to do right by their dead, or hoping their left-behinds will do right by them. Bottom line: don't take any crap from anyone and ask to see it in writing.
Rebecca