Start by marking “Promise Me Forever” as Want to Read:
Promise Me Forever

Promise Me Forever

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

Debbie Macomber’s beautiful story of hope, healing, and the magic of the human heart is available for the first time as an eBook.

Physical therapist Joy Neilsen doesn’t take no for an answer when it comes to her patients. She’s tough yet compassionate, doing whatever it takes to get them back on their feet . . . and she’s met her match in Sloan
Published August 25th 1995 by MIRA (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Promise Me Forever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promise Me Forever

Start your review of Promise Me Forever
Maria
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
A tough physical therapist who takes on the hardest cases, Joy finds Sloan a difficult case indeed. Badly hurt in a car accident, he knows he will never be able to play tennis, ski, play baseball, or do anything he had done for fun for years. He refuses to move from his wheel chair. Joy slowly but surely weans him away from his self-pity and his wheelchair even as she sparks his fury with her methods. They duke it out very entertainingly, as they fall in love even though Joy recognizes that she ...more
Jan Mcleod
Mar 15, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a well-written story about a wealthy man named Sloan who had been in an accident and is now in a wheelchair. His past good life and attitude are totally changed. He's run off all his friends and people who have tried to help him because he does not want to see pity in their eyes.
Joy is his new therapist, a gutsy, stubborn woman determined to see Sloan walk again in spite of his anger and bitterness. What he does not know about Joy for a time is that she, too, had endured the disabling
Lynda
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Strong willed Joy forced Sloan to move from self-isolation and self-doubt through encouragement and aggressive tactics. The lesson learned from this book was how powerful Sloan became when he was released from the restraints he put onto himself and he realized the possibilities ahead.
Mimi
Jun 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't read many romance novels. I picked this one up just to see if my opinion still stands with these types of novels. Yep, I still think of them as inane. Life is not set up this way.
Beverly
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Much too predictable and the character of Sloan was too much of a stereotype. Debbie Macomber has other books worth reading, but you can skip this one.
Mom
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite authors and she doesn't disappoint me with this great story. It was easy to take on the characters and delve into how I would be if I lost everything in an accident and was in a wheelchair. Joy is very good at drawing Sloan into what she knows he can do without Sloan pushing her away. She doesn't take any gruff from him. As their relationship develops, Joy is finding that she doesn't fit into his world of money and prestige. When Sloan shows up at her door using only a ...more
Kelly
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Easy read... mostly clean romance novel. I liked this book. It was just ok for me because the ending was off. I didn’t care for how she wrapped things up. I’ve really liked some of her other books. This one was just not quite there. I wonder if they released it because of the success of me before you. I don’t really know when this was re released but I thought there were some similarities in the angry attitudes of the men who were both in accidents leaving them crippled. A couple of the lines ...more
Judi
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Predictable but enjoyable

I enjoy light romance for summer reading and Debbie Macomber stories are ones that I can enjoy. This book pulled me in as I have worked in rehab for 40 years and understand the pull and gratitude that patients can have. Now retired, this brought back fond memories of lives I have touched and how there are very special therapists that can break through even the toughest patients.
Mary Baker
I think I have been reading Debbie Macomber's books since she first published one. This is one of her early books that has been republished. I liked the heroine who is trying to help a depressed, stubborn man regain as much of his ability to walk as possible. Although the two personalities clash, the couple soon learn to respect and admire each other.
Leticia Youngblood
A good classic man meets woman

I liked the story, sort of a Cinderella meets the Beast. They fight furiously, then he wants to marry her, she says no because she doesn't feel like she'll fit into his life. Also sort of reminds me of the movie Sabrina. He finally convinces her that she's the one. Sigh. Fabulous!
Kathy
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a book about a man who had an accident and was in a wheel chair. It is also about the physical therapist who helps him to walk again. The interplay of how much pain is involved in this transition is paramount to the story. How does she convince him to try harder? How does she get him back to his previous life? Why does she leave his employment? It is a book of pain and love enjoy it.
Paul Schreiber
Not as good as her more recent books

I really like Debbie Macomber, and I did enjoy this book. However, it had none of the depth that her more recent books have. It is a classic and I do like to see how my favorite authors started out, so if you like that, I would recommend this one.
Jackie Blatt
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Debbie Macomber Classics Promise Me Forever

The Author has been a favorite of mine for many years. I've never had any qualms reading her books. Clean and lovingly crafted stories that all can enjoy. This book was a wonderful experience and I can totally recommend it.
sygui
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enthralling...

The author really knows how to bring out the good emotions,tears,laughter..- very good romantic story....so well written.....the threads were well woven..to make a beautiful tapestry of a love story ........
Denise
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Page turner

This book has you hooked starting on page 1. I couldn't put it down and the characters came to life. Great message about not giving up. First of many I will read from Ms. Macomber.
Della Raines
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is it love or gratitude?

A physical therapist works to help her patient walk again. They have a love/ hate relationship that causes problems. Can they ever sort out the emotions that confused the issues?
Janet Nelson
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

This is a pleasant read full of optimism and hope. It was just what I needed after a busy week and I hope that, if you are in the mood to escape into a good book, you give this one a chance.
Amy
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not my favorite Debbie Macomber book, but I did enjoy it. I love this author's series books. Usually when I get to the end of one I want more. This one seemed like it was rushed and over too soon.
Diane
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
A Debbie Macomber Classic

A classic is a story or music that has been around for several years and continued to be enjoyed by those who enjoyed it the first time and by those who rediscover the next edition. Thank you for releasing this story again.
COURTNEY  CONNOLLY
Love Love Love

This book was so great. I was so emotional !!!! I laughed, cried and cried some more, happy, mad, sad. It brought out every emotion and that my friends is a good book.
Karen
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice, clean love story which was predictable but which I thoroughly enjoyed. The book is called a Debbie Macomber Classic, but I can see why and it didn't matter one bit that it was written in 1995.
Aimee
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well considering I read this is less than 5 hours when I'm supposed to be asleep as I have work in a few hours, I'd say the book was blooming fantastic!!!

In parts it became cliché, but I still loved the storyline.

Perfect little chick lit.

Loved it!!!
Carol
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet,early Macomber

Love the simplicity of the story. Love happy endings. Good for a quick summer read when you just want to veg. out.
diane k spires
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good

A good easy beach day read. Interesting from start to finish . A very good book. would recommend for a good summer read
Patricia Osborn
Nice story

Not difficult to figure out what would happen. Predictable. Buy very touching with a happy ending. Will try her other books.
Linda Klager
A good story about a strong willed woman and man.
Sherryl
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Fast read. Very predictable!
Liz McFadden
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Promise me Forever

This was a fantastic read. The only reason I gave it a four, was because of the way it ended.
Melanie C
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
POWERFUL read! This one made me cry.
Glenda Linder
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Love Story .

Was just a great love story, easy to read and understand.
Joy and Sloan worked out all the kinks so they could be together
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• It Happened at Christmas (Christmas, Colorado, #3)
  • The Deep End (Carried Away #1)
  • Convincing Alex (The Stanislaskis, #4)
  • Hotter Than Wildfire (Protectors, #2)
  • Seasons of an Amish Garden
  • Prime Time
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 1,000 weeks on the New York ...more