Start by marking “When Christmas Comes” as Want to Read:
When Christmas Comes

When Christmas Comes

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  2,488 Ratings  ·  201 Reviews
Emily Springer, widowed mother of one, decides to leave Leavenworth, Washington, to spend Christmas with her daughter in Boston. Charles Brewster, history professor, curmudgeon and resident of Boston, wants to avoid Christmas altogether. He figures a prison town should be nice and quiet over the holidays — except he’s thinking of the wrong Leavenworth! Through an internet ...more
Published October 25th 2004 by Mira (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about When Christmas Comes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Christmas Comes

Cait • A Page with a View
This is basically like the movie "The Holiday," except it was actually written before that came out. A mom does a house swap with a Harvard professor on the other side of the country so she can actually see her daughter for Christmas. The professor's brother comes to check up on him and meets the mom staying in his house. Meanwhile, the professor is a total grinch who didn't realize he was going to a town that's huge on Christmas. The mom whose house he's staying in has a friend who flies in to ...more
Jun 20, 2009 rated it liked it
I have to say I enjoyed this quite a bit - choosing to finish it last night rather than knit, watch tv or play Farmville. High praise!

I liked the characters in this one more than the other Debbie Mac books I have read. That being said, I find these books a little too fluffy and a little too "My Mom's Generation". No cussing. The closest two characters get to sex is toward the end of the book when someone gets felt up in front of a Christmas tree (A little blouse unbuttoning), and the characters
Joann
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: debbie-macomber
Josette
Dec 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
The story reminds me a lot of one of my favorite movies, "The Holiday," which came out two years after this book. I'm not sure if director/writer Nancy Meyers was in any way influenced by this book when she wrote "The Holiday," about two women who trade houses for two weeks at Christmas and end up finding love. "When Christmas Comes" is similar, about a man and woman who meet online when both are looking for a place to spend the holidays. They trade homes for two weeks and also find love in each ...more
Glenda L
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a cute romantic comedy by Debbie Macomber. She always brings laughter and joy.
BarbaraW
Dec 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Towards the end, the author says the situation is a comedy of errors and so too is the whole book. Well put together and a nice little holiday read about unexpected romance.
Christina
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one may be my favorite. Think "The Holiday" with what are presumably less attractive main characters (except for maybe Jack Black) and set entirely within the US. It's nice to have the author break out from her usual Seattle setting, btw.
Jill Robbertze
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
A sweet girlie Christmas story - a funny, romantic feel-good book which is perfect for the holidays. Although I did enjoy this quick read, I didn't find it particularly memorable, but then I don't think that it is meant to be more than light entertainment.
Lyndsey
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noel
A man and a woman swap houses for the holiday via an internet arrangement. Both have different reasons for escaping during the holidays but in the end they both find out that what they thought they didn't want was exactly what they needed! Cute, clean and festive love story following the two house swappers and their unexpected housemates!
Megann Zeigler
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It is 100 degrees outside and for the past few days I have been reading Christmas stories to beat the heat. I had read this one in 2014 and loved it so thought I would read it again. Funny, I did not remember much of the book but had given it a very high rating and am doing so again. This is a marvelous story about how when you are at your lowest wonderful things can happen. Debbie is so uplifting and can turn things around within a few chapters. If you have not read do so please if you have rea ...more
Karla Goforth Abreu
Mar 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is typical Debbie Macomber, romance, predictable, fuzzy warm feelings, sappy. BUT it is so relaxing and her Christmas books are perfect for that Christmas feeling we all desire (give me a cup of coffee and some cookies). This novel is a story that has been reworked several times, recently and in a couple of movies. Two people on opposite sides of the country, both lonely or discontent, exchange houses for a short time. The story goes from there.
Jan Mcleod
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a really cute romantic comedy set in Washington state, Boston and New York at Christmas time.
There are several merry mix-ups concerning where Emily and Faith are supposed to be at Christmas; however, two work-alcoholic brothers, Charles and Ray, are also involved in the mix-up. They all find life changing attitudes and experiences.
A good, enjoyable read--typical of Ms. Macomber!

This novel is also called Trading Christmas because it was made into a movie.
Jasmine
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: epub
This is not what I usually read; there are no vampires, werewolves, faeries, Lords and Ladies, or danger of any kind. However, Debbie Macomber gave me exactly what I was in the mood for, a sweet Christmas romance that leaves you feeling that all is right with the world.
Kathy
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chris Meads
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an earlier version of Trading Christmas by Debbie Macomber.

Emily Springer can't wait for her daughter to come home for Christmas--they have a lot of Christmas traditions they do together since her husband died several years back. But Heather, her daughter will be spending Christmas with her boyfriend down in Florida (and doesn't bother to tell her mom).

Charles Brewster dislikes Christmas and wants peace and quiet to write his book. So...

Emily and Charles switch homes. Emily heads to Bost
Jessica Conant
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I rarely give books 5 stars and when comparing this book to all other books I have read from every type of genre I would probably give it more like 4 stars , however when comparing it to the other holiday/Christmas themed books I have read this one definitely wins. I started this story last night totally intending to read a few chapters then go to sleep early. Needless to say that did not happen. I read the whole thing cover to cover before retiring for the night. Right from the beginning the st ...more
Modern_audrey
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
An enjoyable Christmas read. Occasionally engrossing, but flawed. The relationship between Faith and Charles shifted to romance in a very abrupt fashion, which was disappointing. There was little to no buildup, just a cliched falling into one another's arms out of the blue... Something that seemed terribly out of character for both, but especially for Charles. The daughter, Heather, was a selfish little monster, even if she did eventually come around. Her first scene with Emily was devastating, ...more
Kellie
Sep 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was total fluff but perfect for the holiday. The story kind of reminded me of the movie called The Holiday with Kate Winslet and Cameron Diez. A last minute house swap from Boston to Washington State seems like the perfect way to spend a holiday. But of course, it never turns out the way you plan.
The story is about 4 people, Emily and Faith, who are good friends and Charles and Rayburn who are brothers.
Emily is so disappointed her daughter isn’t coming home she decides to surprise her. Ther
Shelleen Toland
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Emily is a widow and decides to surprise her daughter, who is at college, for Christmas. Only to be brushed off. Her daughter has a new beau and no time for her. Emily had swapped homes for Christmas with a professor. He wanted to get away from Christmas. Meanwhile Emily's friend, who does not know Emily isn't home, goes to Emily's to surprise her for Christmas. Romance blooms for both women and a lot of funny things happen. I liked all the characters in this book.
Reba
Dec 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Fun, superficial, but satisfying Holiday offering. Just what I needed for a mindless Christmas read (like a beach read, but on my couch bathed in the light of the Christmas tree). It actually made me laugh out loud a few times. Cheesy details, predictable plot, and too-good-to-be-true characters? Check to all of that, and it works.
Chattynatty
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wanted a “Hallmark” movie type of story. I got it with this book. It was an actual believable story with two leading ladies, friends and the story is like any Hallmark movie - Girl alone for Xmas then meets boy... read it if you want to feel happy inside.
Daia
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Ugh. This is my second Debbie Macomber and I ain't feeling any younger. The characters are not acting their own, and I'm sure this content of cheese in this book surmounts that of two months worth of cheese I could use for my toast every breakfast.
Bridgett
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Right around Thanksgiving every year I just want to read holiday stories. So, I found this book and it didn't disappoint. I just want happy endings and nice, easy reads. This hits the mark. Now, to find another one. I will search Debbie Macomber's books first.
Carynpayzant
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
First Debbie Macomber book I have read. Pretty much lived up to what I've heard about her books: easy to read, love story, a lot of fluff. And that's OK because sometimes you want to read fluff. Plus it got me in the Christmas spirit.
Kaye
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny situations!

Take four lonely adults, a rebellious young adult, a meddling older lady, 6 little people, Santa and a Pomeranian and you have a hilarious story with a perfectly satisfying HEA.
Sue Stewart
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this funny, heart warming Christmas story! Could not put it down!
Danny Gillespie
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Love,love this book. As usual Debbie Macomber has worked her magic telling the story. It is entertaining and comical too. You will not be disappointed.

Marie Affa
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
perfect, simple, easy read for the holidays.
Diane Williams
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic

I just love romance and Happy endings. The Christmas theme tops it all off. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves romance.
Mum
3.5 Stars. A humorous read with believable characters and unexpected plot turns.
  • Mistletoe and Molly
  • The Christmas Promise (Christmas Hope, #4)
  • Silver Bells
  • The Christmas Wish
  • The Christmas Tree
  • Christmas with Tucker (A Dog Named Christmas #0.5)
  • The Christmas Clock
  • The Paper Bag Christmas
  • A Christmas Secret (Christmas Stories, #4)
  • The Snow Globe
  • The Gift: Home for Christmas / All I Want for Christmas
  • Silver Bells
  • Home in Time for Christmas
  • The Christmas Bus
  • A Christmas Promise (Cape Light #5)
  • A Very Marley Christmas
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 1,000 weeks on the New York Time ...more
More about Debbie Macomber

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
  • The Yard Rose
  • Otherkin
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Driven by Fire (Fire, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken, Not Spurred (Lone Star Burn, #1)
  • One Summer Day in Rome
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Down a Dream: A Blessings Novel
  • The Pursuit of Love
    $11.99 $1.99
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Mr. Right (Colorado Hearts #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Riding the Storm (ACRO, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Had to Be Him (It Had to Be #1)
  • The Love Goddess' Cooking School
    $10.99 $2.99
  • That Way Again
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Never Let Go (Haven, Montana #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Forever Surprised (Forever Bluegrass #6)
    $2.99 $1.49