Start by marking “That Summer Place: Private Paradise\Island Time\Old Things” as Want to Read:
That Summer Place: Private Paradise\Island Time\Old Things

That Summer Place: Private Paradise\Island Time\Old Things

That Summer Place by Debbie Macomber\Susan Wiggs\Jill Barnett released on Jun 21, 2005 is available now for purchase.
Published June 21st 2005 by Mira Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about That Summer Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Summer Place

Sep 27, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one!
Terrible, Terrible, Terrible. I picked this book because I love Debbie Macomber and Susan WIggs books. They are almost always a good read. I have to say almost because I just read this compilation. The first story was okay, the second a little less okay, and the third just downright bad. I kept thinking that it had the feel of a Harlequin romance novel instead of the quality of writing I usually expect from these authors. I look to see when they had been written and suddenly a light bulb went on ...more
Leona
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

That Summer Place
Debbie Macomber
Jill Barnett
Susan Wiggs

I liked Old Things by Jill Barnett with the two daughters and the island's "handyman", someone from Catherine's past and will give it a 4 star. Two teenage girls on an island without TV can lead to a boring time. It was about love and memories. Some sexual content but no bad language.

Debbie Macomber knows how to write. Her Private Paradise with two strangers and their children was a fun read. A friend of Beth, a main character, says "God doe
Monique Pearson
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first and second stories were my favorites. The third was sweet but not as enticing. Loved the way the "summer place" was a character in all three stories and it grew and evolved over time. Great summer read!
Chloe
3.5 stars. Reviews in the individual books.
Ed Davis
Three novellas in one volume. The first one was really good. After that they went downhill. The second one was ok and the third was downright awful.
stacie
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Books one and two were ok, but book three was too much of a romance for me so I didn't finish it. This is a compilation of 3 books that all feature the same summer home, with different families. A dated book.
Deborah Vespo
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Apparently I read it sometime back and have just read it again. This book has three different stories:

Jill Barnett's "Old Things", Catherine revisits a secluded island that her family use to go to every summer. A place where she fell in love with Michael. It's years later and she discovers that he is still living there.

Debbie Macomber's "Private Paradise", Beth allows her best friend to talk her into going to a secluded island for an island getaway that her husband's work is pay
Jane
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: debbie-macomber
I won this book as part of Harlequin's Mothers Day giveaway.

This was a real sweet read that I enjoyed very much. I had never read Susan Wiggs or Jill Barnett but now I won't pass up a book by either of them.

I really loved that all three stories take place at Rainshadow Lodge. In Old Things by Jill Barnett, Catherine and Michael encounter each other on vacation and are given a second chance at the love they had many years ago.

In Private Paradise by Debbie Macomber, Beth and her son Paul suddenly
Jessi
Three stories intertwine at one summer place in the San Juan Islands. The first is "Old Things" by Jill Barnett. Catherine Winslow is a successful woman. She has a great career and two wonderful daughters. But she's been busy, so she decides to take them to the same summer place where she used to go. The same summer place where she met her first love... who is also coincidentally on the island. Duh duh DUH! It's a cute story though. She thinks he's a plumber (sh, he's not). But they end up spend ...more
Kathy
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This three book set centers around the same old victorian house on Spruce Island in Puget Sound. 3 delightful romances by 3 talented authors!
OLD THINGS by Jill Barnett: The story of Catherine and Michael is a deeply romantic journey of a second chance at love with your first love! Loved the character development and back story as well as the local flavor of the island that brought them back together! A MUST-READ for true romantics!
PRIVATE PARADISE by Debbie Macomber: John and Beth's story also i
Toeni
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a collection of three stories that are tied together by a Victorian rental house on a secluded island off the shore of Seattle. Each story has an introductory note by the author that kind of updates the reader as to what the characters have been up to since their story left off. I found this to be a cute little addition that makes the characters feel a little more real.
For me, this book was a quick and fun little read. The plots were a fairly predictable but not in a way that was bo
Jennye
May 24, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this years ago when I was obviously less critical, because I remembered it fondly as a charming summer read. When I picked it back up, it read less like a chick-lit beach read and more like a drugstore romance. I was hoping to immerse myself in a little summerhouse Memorial Day vacation read and have to admit I was a little disappointed. The plots were trite and the relationships were rushed and unrealistic. It hovered around 1 1/2 stars but I upped it to 2 for nostalgia.
Carol
Mar 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the first two stories. "Old Things" set up the base story and took us back in time to when the house was in better condition. The third story was too pat. I like the way all three storeis were tied together by the house. I have read other books with a theme tying the stories together and they always felt forced to include the book title. The house tie-in felt very natural.
Tess
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. I expected more out of this book than I should have. The dialogue was just so cheesy and ridiculous, and the characters lacked any sort of real depth. I like light hearted chick lit, but these stories had me practically gagging at the over the top sweetness factor.
Massanutten Regional Library
Leslie, Central patron, June 2016, 5 stars:

This book consists of three stories written by three different authors but they are all connected to a beautiful Victorian home on an island. Great read!
Catherine
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved all three stories and the house that tied the altogether. This was an easy read that I used to break up the Outlanders series.
Nora
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Three feel-good romances from popular authors. These stories left me with a sigh of happiness & a warm glow from some sweet love stories.
Jill
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love all 3 of these authors but this book wasn't great. The 1st story was good but it goes downhill from there. Don't waste your time!
Sandie Mixa
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All 3 stories take place at the same house in a beautiful NW coast setting. I loved all 3 story lines and characters. BUT only Macomber's was clean, so I can't truly recommend it to my friends.
Karen
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some light fun reads.
Marina
Each story is 4 stars so overall book 4.5 stars! Love the concept. Want more stories by these authors set in this place.
Tammy Pickens
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful light hearted read!!
Marcy
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's nothing special on the surface, merely a rambling old Victorian summerhouse on a secluded island, where the sky is blue and the water is clear. Yet after a month at the Rainshadow Lodge, people begin to change --- and fall in love. How else can you account for what happens to the most mismatched, unlikely couples?

There's Beth, who's stuck sharing the lodge with a complete stranger --- and a difficult one at that. And Mitch, a workaholic on a deadline who has to depend on free-spirited Rosi
Sharon Gallup
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what a great book for women to read. three authors got to gether to write
three stories that take place on a island. one of those authors is one of my favorite Susan Wiggs . i just read her book The family Tree. this isn't a book for men. what i enjoyed about these stories was
the lack of violence and the combining of family. their ups and downs and the great need for love.
Barbara
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three lovely stories about finding true love against all odds. I've read and enjoyed many stories by Debbie Macomber and Susan Wiggs before, but Jill Barnett is a new author for me. I'll definitely be looking for more books by her.
Pamela Powell
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to this as an audio book--- loved it! Makes me want to visit the Pacific Northwest and stay on an island. The setting really makes this collection of stories. Each story is good, but the setting is the star.
Hanna
I would give this collection a 2.5 when going by the Goodreads 2 star definition of "it was OK".
A short collection of soft summer romances all connected by the place that is nice for a light read. It didn't blow me away and didn't leave me with any strong feelings either negative or positive.
Isabel
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Debbie Macomber so I picked this book up. The first two stories were good, not great, and the third I couldn't get myself to read the second chapter. The female character appeared too stereotypical.
Anne-Kathrine
I wouldn't say these books were the authors' best works. They were ok, but I was kinda happy to finish hearing them. Shame since I'm fond of the authors, but won't hold these books against them lol.
Carol
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has 3 novellas of romance set at the Summer Place. The authors are Debbie Macomber, Sue, Wiggs and ill Barnett. Each of the stories is good and of course each has a happy ending! The trouble is they are all too predictable. Oh well, romance is what it is.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Texas Wildflower
  • A Spring Bouquet (4-in-1)
  • A Stockingful of Joy
  • Snowflakes and Stetsons
  • Sinful (Winston Brothers, #3)
  • Heat Wave: Rex on the Beach/Getting Into Trouble/Shaken and Stirred
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 1,000 weeks on the New York Time ...more
“now? When she looked at herself she saw her outside changing, growing older, while inside she still felt young. Aging was a strange thing—made you feel like you were wearing a striped shirt and plaid pants. Mismatched. Because you never felt as old inside as you looked on the outside.” 0 likes