Start by marking “Death Echo (St. Kilda Consulting, #5)” as Want to Read:
Death Echo (St. Kilda Consulting, #5)

Death Echo (St. Kilda Consulting #5)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  2,252 Ratings  ·  183 Reviews

New York Times bestselling author Elizabeth Lowell cuts a new edge in suspense with a thrilling tale of passion and international intrigue.

Emma Cross abandoned the blood, guilt, and tribal wars of CIA life for the elite security consulting firm St. Kilda's. Now she's tracking the yacht Blackbird, believed to be carrying a lethal cargo that will destroy a major Americ

Published June 8th 2010 by William Morrow (first published January 1st 2010)

Lori
Feb 08, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: author
Because I was so captivated with so many of Elizabeth Lowell's previous novels that included the Donovan clan (family) as well as auction houses that specialize in whatever she is writing about (from illuminated manuscripts to gemstones) I was very disappointed with this latest novel.

Very little story, too much talk boring talk between the two main characters (a male and female stuck unexpectedly together aboard a yacht) and just an overall boring novel.

I think that the author found a subject (
Elena
Feb 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
How this novel got a close to a 4 star review is beyond me.
The plot had great potential, but the book ended up being just plain boring. The "action" part of the book is all talk but NO ACTION. And all the talk is about BOATS and YACHTS. Reading this book was like reading a manual on operating heavy machinery (boats:)), and i wonder how this was not an issue with everyone > 20 pages at a time about how the engine "purrs", how the ropes are tied, how to navigate it through still and stormy wat
Sheri
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: listened
I had a bit of trouble keeping the bad guys straight, but the Hero and Heroine's stories and characters were great. I especially liked the hero, who drives a yacht.
Chetna Nayyar
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I'm usually a person who watches tv shows about these murder mysteries or crime investigation. This book was about a girl named Emma Cross who was a former CIA agent. She is set out to investigate other crimes with her partner Mackenzie Durand. The story talks about there day to day experience to catch the criminals. If you are interested in these types of books, then I recommend this to you.
Nancy/girlsinthestacks.com
Every so often I pick up a book with no supernatural elements. Really, I do! Death Echo is a straight thriller and a pretty darn good one, with a dash of romance and lots of action.

Emma Cross is a former CIA agent now working for St. Kilda’s, an elite private investigation firm. She’s been working on a case involving insurance fraud with stolen yachts, tracking a yacht called Blackbird. When she finds out the intended cargo is going to be used to destroy an American city within the next seven da
Becky
May 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
This was a phenomenally bad book made even more notable by the fact that Elizabeth Lowell is usually quite competent and often fantastic. I continued reading mostly out of the belief that at some point the writing would turn and things would magically resolve. The romantic element of the plot was phoned in with a few flirty lines that somehow became intense passion and a soul connection. The suspense plot was overly complex and the resolution was somehow both too pat and murky. Interspersed with ...more
Ian
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it
★★★

Elizabeth Lowell writes great books that you probably won't remember. They are entertaining, action-packed and well written. They just aren't all that unique. There are a lot of people who write books in this genre and to stand out an author needs to do something really special.

Some might think this is some sort of sacrilege but I would put Elizabeth Lowell in the same league as Tom Clancy. Very entertaining but they're not books I'm going to be talking about in a month.

Emma an operator for
Kim
Jun 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
Let me say first that I fell in love with E. Lowell after picking up Blue Smoke & Murder 2 yrs ago. Since then I've read all of the Rarities Unlimited, St. Kilda, Donovans, plus a few more. Her characters are well drawn, the plots are solid, though admittredly formulaic, and the dialog is superb. In this book the characters are somehow, not quite finished. The romance portion of the story is, unfortunately, thrown in as if an afterthought. I liked the plot, not being a "bad guys chasing good ...more
Carolina Valdez
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Death echo is a nautical term, and this St. Kilda thriller takes place mostly on a yacht. Lowell is one of my favorite romantic suspense authors, but the romance part of this story didn't live up to my expectations. There were too many nautical terms for me, too. Great as my disappointment was, I rated it a four because the suspense is excellent. Men may respond better to this than romance lovers will. And, after all, mine is only one opinion.
Robin
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, audiobook, 2016
I enjoyed book four in this series, and this one was available from the library-- so I went for it. But it didn't grab me like the previous one did. Mostly, there was a lot about boats. I found myself only half-listening a lot of the time, which was not a good approach with the level of detail involved in this story (much of it concerning boats). This one was just not my cup of tea.
Beth
Feb 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Usually Elizabeth Lowell is one of my favorite authors and I was eagerly awaiting the arrival of this book, but I was dissapointed. I had a hard time focusing on the storyline and the characters didn't draw me in as much as usual. It was okay, and the story was kind of interesting, but it just didn't have the draw that most of her books have.
Regan
Jun 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
I was so disappointed. I've never read Ms. Lowell before and expected so much more. Interesting story, enjoyed the sailing sequences but it didn't do it for me.
Linda C
Former CIA operative, now part of the St Kilda security consulting organization, Emma Cross is tracking the yacht Blackbird which may be carrying a lethal cargo. A twin of this ship the Black Swan went missing a year ago and now they turn up near Seattle. The transit captain, Mac, who brings the Blackbird in for commissioning is former special ops retired. When the pilot who is to move the boat to Canada is killed. Mac is recruited by the suspected bad guys to take the job and Emma recruits him ...more
Vicki
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My heart is still pounding from all the action during the end of the book!

Totally different than all the other Elizabeth Lowell novels I have read: lots less romance (sex) and much more action. She is so good at this type of writing style! I didn't miss the steamy parts much because there was always something happening.

Lowell masters whatever topic her novel revolves around ... in the past art heists, precious gems and now stolen yachts. Almost all the action happened on the water and it was so
Mirrun
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
I found this story a little underwhelming considering how much I enjoyed her gem series (Amber Beach, Pearl Cove, Jade Island, Midnight in Ruby Bayou). This story felt thin for plot and action, the conflict felt very brief, and it didn't satisfy in the end. Lowell is a great author, but this is not a great work.
Maureen Hetzel
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This is not up to the quality of previous books. Almost too complex a plot involving many government agencies, Russia and Georgia and a lot of info about boats!! Plot was unclear and once again heroics at a level know only in action movies seems to save the day. Too much for me.
Doreen Richards
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book. And i particularly enjoyed the water/boating/crewing sequences. Brought a lot of memories back of the area that they were boating in. And the issues around marine international borders. Just fun.
Anna
May 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance-het
I wish this book was as good a spy novel as it thinks it is. It's pretty bad. Did not finish.
Susan Carey
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great suspense. I always learn things when reading her books.
Myku
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Mona
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, the trouble with beach reads is that you pick up something and don't know it is a series. This one was ok standing by itself. I think I will pass on the others !
Katrina
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
When she joined St. Kilda's, the elite security consulting firm, Emma Cross thought she'd left behind the blood, the guilt, and the tribal wars that defined her life at the CIA. Yet, trading spying for investigating yacht thefts didn't alleviate the danger -- or melt away her professional paranoia. Now, the same good instincts that got her into trouble at the agency might be what will help her survive her latest case.

With some arm-twisting, St. Kilda and Emma are tracking a yacht named Blackbird
Gail Cooke
Jul 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A former CIA agent, and a mighty effective one, Emma Cross had enough of hair breadth escapes. So, she joined St. Kilda's Consulting believing some private investigating would be a piece of cake. Readers of the mega best selling Elizabeth Lowell know that's never going to happen.

We find Emma gripping “the round chromed bars of the pitching Zodiac's radar bridge...” Zodiac is a small rubber craft tossing its way across Puget Sound as she tracks Blackbird, a yacht which is a twin of another ship
Maura
Anne
Jun 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
A blend of two of my favorite genres: contemporary romantic suspense and disaster. Or in this case, near-disaster. Make no mistake. This is a romance. I just like the near-disaster elements thrown in.

Mac's nightmare past in Afghanistan was well-told. His character is identifiable as one of the good guys - whether he thinks so or not. Emma's past is also well-told and paints her as a dedicated woman. While their initial meeting doesn't go well, the emotional attachment and trust develops steadily
Angela
Oct 14, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, ebooks
To my satisfaction, Death Echo is one of the stronger Elizabeth Lowell thrillers I've read in a while. It's #4 of her St. Kilda Consulting series, and of the set of those, this one so far has been my favorite. I'm pleased in particular that our heroine, Emma Cross, is the St. Kilda agent, while hero Mackenzie Durand is the freelance boat captain she has to work with; this does much to put these two on a more equal footing than I've seen in many Lowell novels.

Death Echo's conflict is driven by Em
Barb in Maryland
Jun 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Another one of Lowell's fine romantic suspense stories featuring the fine folks of the St. Kilda group.

The one thing, I think, that sets Lowell's romantic suspense novels above those of several other authors, is that she actually spends a good deal of effort on the suspense part. The plots, while a touch fantastical, are always quite plausible and very grounded in the here and now. Her international troubles seem very possible to anyone who keeps abreast of current news. Her heroes and heroines
LibraryLass
Jan 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book, 2010
Like so many others, I have been a huge fan of Elizabeth Lowell's for years. I, too, have been slightly disappointed by the last couple of books she has put out.

This one is no exception. What I did like: The premise was good, very topical. I liked both Emma and Mac. The chemistry between the two was believable. I liked the speed of the book. If flowed very well and were no scratching the head moments (at least not for me). The balance between the suspense and romance were also good.

What I didn't
Kathy Martin
Jun 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great thriller. The summary pretty much tells the story. Mac is a transfer captain who is piloting the Blackbird until relieved by the boat's owner. Emma works for St. Kilda's and the insurance company trying to find out why expensive yachts are disappearing in "accidents". The boat is a focal point for all sorts of intrigue. It is supposed to be carrying something that could cause the destruction of an American city. The FBI, the CIA, and Russian and Georgian intelligence are all on the trail a ...more
Emily
Feb 24, 2011 rated it liked it
A more complicated plot involving several U.S. Intelligence Agencies as well as Russian/Georgian operatives has St. Kilda's operatives Emma Cross and new recruit MacKenzie Durand as confused as the reader, if not more. Who the good guys and bad guys are and what they are actually up to is not revealed to either of us until the last couple of pages. It might just be that I read this while I was sick, but this book made my head hurt. However, it kept me turning pages instead of dropping off into m ...more
  • The Ruby
  • Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7; Dreamlight Trilogy, #1)
  • Sizzle (Buchanan-Renard, #8)
  • Veil of Night
  • Hot Pursuit (Troubleshooters, #15)
  • Drawn in Blood (Burbank & Parker, #2)
  • Unforgivable (Tracers #3)
  • Deadly Dance (A-Tac, #5)
  • Time to Run (SEAL Team 12, #3)
  • Lost in Shadows (Shadow Ops, #2)
  • Outlaw Derek (Hagen Series #7)
  • Paisley Hanover Kisses and Tells
  • Lucianna (The Silk Merchant's Daughters, #3)
  • Snapped
  • Storm Cycle
19051
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one work of non-fiction. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. Her novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery. After working in contemporary and historical romance, she became an innovator in the genre of romantic ...more
More about Elizabeth Lowell...

St. Kilda Consulting (5 books)
  • Always Time to Die (St. Kilda Consulting, #1)
  • The Wrong Hostage (St. Kilda Consulting, #2)
  • Innocent as Sin (St. Kilda Consulting, #3)
  • Blue Smoke and Murder (St. Kilda Consulting, #4)