Start by marking “I Have a Sister--My Sister Is Deaf” as Want to Read:

I Have a Sister--My Sister Is Deaf

A young deaf child who loves to run and jump and play is affectionately described by her older sister. ‘Can give young children an understanding of the fact that deaf children . . . share all the interests of children with normal hearing.' 'C. ‘A friendly, affirmative look [at the everyday experiences of the two sisters].' 'BL. 1979 Coretta Scott King Award Honor Book
A Rea
Published May 23rd 1984 by HarperCollins (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about I Have a Sister--My Sister Is Deaf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Have a Sister--My Sister Is Deaf

Esther
Mar 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Published in 1984 by HarperTrophy
Interest Level: 3rd-5th Grade

This book is about a young girl who has a sister that is deaf and how she deals with that fact. The various struggles are depicted through a series of pencil drawings in a picture book format. The story focuses on the outward struggles of the sister and how the young girl relates to her sister. The treatment of this topic could be much deeper and richer, but the author does do a good job of relating a physical disability to a sibling
Caitlyn
Oct 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I Have a Sister-My Sister Is Deaf is a picture book. I think that this book would be a good book for an early reader. A controversial issue in this book is having a sibling that is deaf. The little girl told the story of her life and about living with a deaf sister. The words in this book are confirmed by the illustrations.
E
Jan 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
A great book to read to children of almost any age. My students are all captivated by the story. Ranging in ages from three to eight, they also unanimously express compassion for the deaf character and her difference.
April
Jul 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-class
This book is great to help a child get the idea of what it is like to be deaf or to have someone you love deaf.
Leandra
Dec 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Encourages children to think about people who may be different from them. Excellent read!
Beth
May 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Learn about what it is like to be deaf from her sister.
Alyccia
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought I have a sister- my sister is deaf was a fairly interesting book,it is a realistic fiction. I liked that the author had the main character describing her sister, who was deaf instead of having the deaf sister as the main character. I felt that it gave you another prospective into the life of a deaf child. I also liked that it described the characters life in a very realistic manner because it shows the things a family member of a deaf person goes through in a relatable manner. I think ...more
Ann
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I Have a Sister- My Sister Is Deaf is a Coretta Scott King honor winner. It is a book told from the perspective of a young girl. She tells about story of her sister who is deaf. She tells the story of her feelings (both positive and negative) of her sister being deaf. The story can be relatable for students who have a deaf family member or friend and can also be used to give students and empathy for someone who is deaf. It can be used with all elementary grades K-5.
Nancy
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
An honest, thoughtful book of siblings, one older and the other younger, one who can hear and one who is deaf.
Jessica
Having a certificate in sign language and hoping someday to be a teacher for deaf children, I very much loved how the author described what it's like having a deaf family member and what she and her mother needed to accommodate for her sister.
Elizabeth Roe
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Grade/interest level: Primary and Upper Elementary (K-5th)
Reading level: Lexile, 520L
Genre: Picture Book, Multicultural, Realistic Fiction

Main Characters: A young girl and her sister
Setting: Various settings
POV: From the young girl (talking about her sister)

This book features two young Asian sisters. The story is told from the point of view of the older sister, who is telling the reader about her younger sister who is deaf. The story begins with the young girl telling us that her sister is deaf
Trish Hopkins
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a beloved book given to me by my little sister; although, neither one of us is deaf. In a wonderful twist of fate, our beloved sister-in-law is hearing impaired. I think this book succeeds is showing that being different can also mean being the same.

This book is about a young girl with a hearing impaired little sister. Throughout the story we see how the deaf sister experiences life from her older sibling's point of view. The story teaches that deaf children can do the same things as he
Ryley Christian
This book is about having a sister that is deaf from a little girl's perspective. The narrator, whose name is not mentioned, describes what life is like for her sister who is deaf by explaining that she cannot hear noises like she can. She reveals that although her sister cannot hear, she can still make sense of daily life and communicate with her family members through expression.

The author, Jeanne Whitehouse Peterson, captures the voice of a loving sister as she describes the communication th
Salima Hart
Oct 16, 2012 rated it liked it
I really liked this story. I really appreciated the fact that it was actually true. The story is told from a young girls perspective that has a sister that is deaf. In the story she talks about all the things she enjoys doing with her sister. This book does a great job of showing how children that have hearing impairments are just like any other child, they just can't hear. I love how the author shows them doing things together like any other pair of siblings would do.

Although I enjoyed this bo
Amy  A.
Jul 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
I remember this book from a Reading Rainbow episode when I was a child. This book is about a little girl with a deaf sister. She wants everyone to know that her sister still does many of the things that her other friends do like exploring outside, playing with the cat, playing with dolls, etc. But her sister cannot hear and she cannot talk like the rest of her friends. She knows that her sister understands most of what she says and can communicate in other ways. Even though her sister will never ...more
Megan Burroughs
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: families
I liked this book because it talks about a sister who loves her sister no matter what the disability is, which is being deaf. This is not a book mainly about families but it ties into families because those people are the ones who are going to love and care for you no matter what. This little girl plays with her sister but modifies some things due to her sister being deaf. The mother and sister work together with the little sister who is deaf to learn hand motions and lip read.
Becky
Sep 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really liked this true story of girl who has a deaf sister. It tells of the differences and likenesses between the two girls in an open and honest way.

It reminds you that deaf children are pretty much the same as hearing children, but there are also some poignant moments of the reality of being deaf. I like it so much, I am buying it for my kids.
Dominique Maderitz
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a little girl who sister is deaf. Throughout the book the sister describes differences between her and her sister but also similarities. I love this book and it would be useful to children who not only have a disability but know someone who does. All children will at sometime in their life meet someone who has a disability.
Kathryn
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is a very loving look at a deaf child from her older sister's perspective. The older sister explains how her sister loves to play and tease her, but she can't hear. She explains her sister's differences in a very gentle way, giving us insight into how others view her sister. The illustrations are absolutely beautiful.
Jessica
Dec 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great short story for our family, since my son's half sister is deaf. While the art work is simple, the story is profound if you are living it. If not, well...I don't know how much a child would enjoy it. It is more of a learning book.
Lauren Repetto
Oct 08, 2008 rated it liked it
This book is great for explaining to students differences that exist that they may not be used to or understand. This would be a great way to explain to students that just because someone is different than you doesn't mean that they don't have the same interest or capabilities as you.
Cara
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"I Have a Sister My Sister is Deaf" is a book about a young girl explaining to you about her deaf sister. How her sister is different than anyone else expect that she can't hear. This story would be good to read if someone in the classroom has a family member or knows someone who is deaf.
Samantha
May 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
The book could be better if it talks about sign language or other ways for her sister to communicate. I like that it talks about how she has to stomp her feet to get her sisters attention. It over simplifies being young and having a deaf sister.
Eric Summers
Touching book from the point of view of a young girl with a deaf sister. Explains the issues that families with deaf children have to face. Written with talent and sincerity this book belongs in every primary classroom.
Vanessa Peavy
If you were deaf what other senses would you use? This is a good question to ask first graders before you read this book. This beautiful story is great for promoting acceptance of those with physical disabilities. I would use this book to teach sound.

Grade:1
Kelly Shiverdecker
Published: 1977

This book is about a girl who has a sister who is deaf and talks about all of the things that her sisters does and how everyone around them reacts to the girl being deaf.
Megan
Mar 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
I specifically remember this one being in my third grade reading textbook and reading this sweet little gem instead of the boring social studies lesson I was supposed to be reading.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
Peterson, Jeanne Whitehouse

good for teaching about deafness
Codie Gates
A girl describes her younger sister who is deaf. She describes all the things she likes to do and things that are difficult for her to do. Really sweet book.
Brindi Michele
  • The Blacker the Berry
  • Dad, Jackie, and Me
  • Just Us Women
  • Hand Rhymes
  • Two Crazy Pigs (level 2) (Hello Reader)
  • Sail Away
  • Mrs. Wishy-Washy's Farm
  • Wilma Unlimited: How Wilma Rudolph Became the World's Fastest Woman
  • Aunt Flossie's Hats (and Crab Cakes Later)
  • The Moon Over Star