Start by marking “Blood and Roses” as Want to Read:
Blood and Roses

Blood and Roses

In this world, love can put you on the wrong end of a stake…

The last thing Arjen wants is a vampire in his bed. The rest of the world may be enamored of the creatures, but he doesn’t share the obsession. When local vampire Maikel van Triet pays a visit to the brothel, Arjen tries to slip away—drawing the one thing he doesn’t want: Maikel’s attention. Arjen’s too pragmatic
Published November 10th 2009 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd. (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Blood and Roses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood and Roses

Jenre
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Why I bought this book: I honestly can't remember. I do know that I bought it shortly after its release in November 2009 and it's been on my TBR since then, making it one of the oldest books on my TBR pile.

Plot: The story is set in Amsterdam and follows male prostitute Arjen. When famous vampire Maikel arrives at the brothel where he works, Arjen isn't impressed by the simpering from the female whores and starts to make his way up to his room. He's surprised when he's called back by Maikel who w
Staceyr
Oct 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I was completely enthralled by this jaded journey to love, an unabashed view of the noir side of life and love. No soft,flowery romance here. I enjoyed the unpredictability of this aloof vampire and contemptuous male prostitute, characters whose very different lives become surprisingly similar by comparison, their vulnerability slowly revealed as they forge an unlikely bond.
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
I think it's the first story I've read by this author. It was interesting.

Maikel is not the ordinary vampire in the sense that he's not all powerful. He has a reputation, he is coveted, but in a very superficial way. Arjen works in a brothel and is not seduced in the least, proving himself a challenge for the vampire. Their encounters are not really sexual at the beginning, Maikel asks to be fed and Arjen agrees for a fee. The vampire bite is also painful and not enthralling at all.

Slowly their
Wren
Feb 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Arjen is a prostitute in Amsterdam. Not sure of the time period. Vampires are a given in this society. Maikel is a vampire who comes to the brothel and selects Arjen, but all he wants is to feed and have a safe place to sleep for the night. Arjen isn’t happy about it but agrees. This becomes a weekly event. Until their personalities get in the way - Arjen thinks he doesn’t want the vampire, even though Maikel makes his affection clear. Maikel accededs to Arjen’s wishes that he go away. This is b ...more
Karen K
**4.5 upped to 5**
This was one of the most sensually beautiful stories I can ever remember reading. Everything about it was just passionate; the characters, the setting, the writing style so calm but at the same time, keeping me on edge for what would happen next. Even the indifference shown from one character to the other at various parts of the book was moving and emotional.

Arjen is a sensuous man without even having to try; sensuous and beautiful and so needy in ways he doesn't even realize
Janna
Apr 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, m-m
This is an enjoyable, touching and somewhat different vampire story which is set in historical Amsterdam. The setting was the reason why I wanted to read it after I learned about it from Jenre’s review over at Well Read. And I’m glad I did, it was a very good story. It's not a full-length novel but more like a longer short story (47 pdf pages) and as such it's hardly a fully plotted tale with well-rounded characters, but for its length the heroes are very engaging and the plot is really entertai ...more
Maygirl7
Jan 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
The writing creates a sense of distance from the characters which normally is a bad thing. In this instance it worked quite well for me. The distance I felt from the characters, I think, underlined Arjen's desire to distance himself from Maikel. It wasn't completely clear why Maikel felt the need to disappear from Amsterdam, and the resolution between Arjen and Maikel was a bit too quick to be completely believable. Otherwise, a good, solid read.
Camilla
Oct 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Kasia Bacon
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed the style of writing. Sexy and emotional. Plus a vamp. Shame it was so short.
Bookwatcher
Nov 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Short but cute love story

Danielle
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Normally I complain about books that are this short, but I think the length here worked to its advantage. It's set over several months with weeks between Arjen and Mikail's encounters which made the book feel more complete.
Elisa Rolle
Blood and Roses is a novella that I think will appeal to the most romantic readers. It’s fantasy, without doubt, but it’s not so clearly bounded by this genre. The world where Arjen, male whore, lives, is an Amsterdam lost in time; from some small details, the use of specific words, the absence of machines, the presence of carriages and other “old-fashioned” elements, all let you think that this is a fantasy world that takes inspiration from a not long ago past, maybe nineteen or eighteen centur ...more
Kassa
Dec 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
This is a novella from a new to me author but one that is rather addictive. As a fan of anything urban fantasy, I love any well done vampire book even if it’s just rehashing common themes. In this offering the themes are classic and well used with a slight twist but the dialogue and writing is engaging. The characters have tremendous potential and the world building is evocative. Unfortunately, likely due to the short length, this novella is empty and forgettable but still enjoyable and fun to r ...more
Sarah LaGioia
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'd even stretch my rating to 4.5 stars. It really was a very good, short story.

Pacing was well-done, so the relationship that develops over the course of the story does so believably. The author's version of Amsterdam was fetching, and as the tale mainly takes place within the prostitute Arjen's brothel of residence, I loved how the rumor-mill between the whores played such a large part in the story. This made time-hops of days/weeks/months keep continuity with the story instead of just skippin
xbmbgrl
May 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Blood and Roses is a relatively short story that has love blossoming between a bored vampire and a realistic male prostitute. Mikhail is used to the masses of humans fawning all over him and vying for his attention. When he stumbles upon Arjen, a male prostitute who ignores him, his interest is peaked.

Arjen’s unique response to Mikhail is enough to keep his interest. He returns time and again to feed from Arjen, and to pass the time he asks Arjen to talk. As their interesting relationship grows
Adrienne -kocham czytać-
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very different from the norm, from what I expected. It was not the most amazing and engaging story, in all honesty, I actually did not connect with the characters as much as I wanted to...but it was such a different and better story that I had been expecting, that I really liked it.

I liked how Arjen was contrary and disdainful, and did not suddenly change his behavior and fawn all over Maikel. I liked learning about what Maikel was doing returning week after week, and how they forged a special a
Kimberly
Arjen might be the only person in the world not enamored with vampires. So when Maikel van Triet walks through the doors of the brothel Arjen works at, the last thing the young prostitute wants is Maikel for a client. Yet Arjen’s dislike of Maikel is exactly the thing that attracts the vampire to him, though not for his usual services. Week after week, Maikel comes to Arjen wanting blood, a bed, and stories of the daytime world he has not seen for centuries. Their arrangement becomes complicated ...more
Charly
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
A nice little read

Warning: This review might contain what some people consider SPOILERS.

Rating: 7/10

PROS:
- The story accomplishes a convincing “enemies to lovers” plotline in a fairly short amount of time.
- I was amused by how long it takes Arjen to realize that he’s fallen for Maikel. He dislikes the vampire passionately but is inexplicably hurt when Maikel avoids him.

CONS:
- Maikel says some insulting things to Arjen that Arjen hardly even reacts to. This irritated me.
- The whole story is tol
miss_chams
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
It was actually quite good, though too short to be really enjoyable. Don’t get me wrong, even though it was really really short there was still story to this story... just not enough to be very satisfying. That being said there was a lot to like, I have no complaints about the characters, premise or setting and the storyline (thought a little clichéd) was quite solid.
In short, if you’re the type of reader that doesn’t have the patience for a long, complicated story with character development and
Chancey Knowles
For a quickie, it was amazing. I tend to rate things based on what they are; meaning I rate a quickie as a quickie. You can't expect the same things in comparison to a longer story. That said, the author did amazingly well with the setting, the characters, and the story. The ending did feel a little abrupt but not so much as to feel cheated. The scene with the BJ was extremely hot. There was a nice balance between sex and story. In comparison to most stories of this size, it is definitely 5 star ...more
EmeArsh
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oe of the most stunningly, sensuously beautiful books I have read. It was so beautifully written I cried my eyes out. Maybe because it became more angsty or maybe it resonated with me. But loved it.
G.Cliffe
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-bromance
Great Story!! It's a fast read (took me about 2hrs) but the characters are deep, their actions thoughtful and their personalities well rounded. You get a good "feel" for the characters in the story. The author does a wonderful job of grabbing you only a few paragraphs in and, before you know it, you're emotionally invested. I've finished the book but find that my mind will still drift toward Arjen & Maikel and wonder how they're getting along in the world. At least I'm sure they're happy.
Terry Kate
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Did I love this story? Hell yes! I have re-read it a dozen times. I read the excerpt and was so interested I could not wait to get a review copy, so I bought it. I PAID MONEY FOR THIS BOOK. I have not bought a book in almost a year. So yes I read the excerpt and I was desperate.

READ MY REVIEW
Amber
Feb 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-paranormal
Short story about a prostitute who doesn't like vampires and a vampire that is intrigued with him. This is written in Arjun's pov so we don't get to see Maikel's perspective. It is a pretty simple love story that is light on sex. We really don't get alot of background on the world or characters. I also didn't get a very good feel for either one of the characters' motives so I didn't really connect with them very well.
Rachel
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-love, m-m, vampire
This is beautiful story with a lot of passion, the characters, writing style and setting keep you on edge to see what happens next. Although for me personally when the characters indifferent to each other I just want to slap them.

Although I will not go into detail about the story line I will say this, this is a book well worth reading.
Betryal
Oct 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Although what I would call a short story, I actually enjoyed this one, but and yeah there is one...I would have liked to have read Maikel's point of view in here and not just Arjen's. It still deserved the rating I gave it, but I'll keep my fingers crossed that there'll be a continuation to appease my appetite.
Christine
Aug 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Short story of a vampire, Maikel and a male prostitute,Arjen who meet when Maikel buys him for the night just for a meal and sleep. Arjen's distaste for Maikel stop him from taking the fare. This continues for weeks until you guessed it big fight, Maikel leaves and Arjen finds he can't live without him.
This was a little to predictable for me to really like very well.
Alaska
It was a nice read with not too much emotional drama and likeable characters. Yes, it was a little predictable but it didn't bother me and I liked the stop and go relationship between Maikel and Arjen.
Gina
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

It was a beautiful and fairy tale like story. I very much enjoyed it.
Short, yes. But i can't imagine it longer than it is. I think the length of the story is perfect, any longer than this would have been a drag.

Anna
I'm usually don't read books about rent boys but I felt like something short and easy for the night and had this downloaded. It was okey I guess and it was nice to read a book that didn't take place in the US for a change.
  • Blacque/Bleu (Arcada #3)
  • From Afar
  • Need (Need, #1)
  • Notturno (Deep #1)
  • Souls Deep
  • Natural Instincts (Instincts, #1)
  • Undesirable
  • Wishbone
  • Heartsong (Fae, #2)
  • The Lost Books 1 & 2
  • My Heart is Within You (Triquetra, #1)
  • Vamp Camp (Vamp Camp, #1)
  • Bound By Blood (Soul Mates, #1)
  • Lone
  • To Hate and To Hold  (Anaboris Clan, #1)
  • Immortality is the Suck (Adam & Peter, #1)
  • An Improper Holiday
  • A Vampire in Waikiki (Vampire in Waikiki, #1)
“I rose swiftly and struck him across the cheek, hard enough to make my palm sting. He gaped at me. 'I do not want your damned money. I want you to answer me.'

Carefully, he fingered his jaw. There was something new and strange in his gaze, sharp, intent enough to make me wary. 'I do believe I've forgotten the question.' ”
0 likes
“As I came down the stairs, all attention turned from the girls, and everyone looked to me as though this were some sort of drama taking place on a stage, and I was the scorned lover come to confront my erstwhile beloved.

I was not. I was just a whore, nothing else. Nothing more.”
0 likes