Start by marking “Leaf Man” as Want to Read:

Leaf Man

Fall has come, the wind is gusting, and Leaf Man is on the move. Is he drifting east, over the marsh and ducks and geese? Or is he heading west, above the orchards, prairie meadows, and spotted cows? No one's quite sure, but this much is certain: A Leaf Man's got to go where the wind blows.

With illustrations made from actual fall leaves and die-cut pages on every spread t
Published September 1st 2005 by Harcourt Children's Books

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful autumnal tale about leafs traveling on the wind.
Hilary
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Hilary by: Found in the library
Shelves: natural-world
This was very disappointing, the cover looks great, leaves are beautiful and ideal for making art with and a wonderful way for children to learn to identify trees with at the same time. Although the pictures made of leaves are wonderful, they do not need bright coloured backgrounds, personally I would have appreciated the beautiful colours of the leaves more on a black or more plain coloured background, like the cover. The pictures inside made of leaves were wonderful but the text was awful. A l ...more
Manybooks
While I absolutely and with all my heart do love the imaginative and oh so evocative autumnally colour schemed leaf illustrations of Lois Ehlert's Leaf Man (and considering that Halloween will soon be upon us, I actually have also quite enjoyed that some of the depicted and presented leaf people and animals even kind of look delightfully and mildly creepy, not enough to in any manner ever frighten, but definitely sufficient to potentially give a few mild shivers and frissons), I really can only ...more
Kathryn
This is a cool collage of real leaves forming all the illustrations--a leaf man, leaf birds, leaf fish, leaf prairies, leaf forests... it's nifty and fun for autumn though it didn't especially strike a chord with me.
Lisa Vegan
I loved, loved, loved the leaves and the art made with them and the different shapes of the pages, and I liked the author’s note at the end. The “story” did nothing for me at all. This would have worked better for me as one of those wordless picture books. The leaves are wonderful though. 5 stars for the illustrations and 1 star for the story = 3 stars.
Abigail
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Not Sure...
A simple narrative about the "Leaf Man" - whose travels on the wind are documented in a dreamlike text - are joined to gorgeous collage-style illustrations in this autumn-themed picture-book from Lois Ehlert, whose Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf is another exploration of the beauty of trees and leaves. There isn't much to say, really, about the text here: it's not really a story, but is too unclear to be much of a seasonal meditation either. In short, I was completely indifferent, and like the friend w ...more
Cheryl
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Creative. And oversized, so it's grabbable in the library, and shareable in circle time. Day care teachers might see if their children can assemble leaf critters and orchards, etc., themselves. (Some children might like to make patterns, like mandalas or grids, and that should be accepted, too, of course.)

I probably would have liked it more when I was a child or when my children were young. Now, well, it's just odd.

I do like Ehlert's Eating the Alphabet.
Teacher.
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing

Reviewed at my blog: HERE @ Teacher.Mother.Reader Book Blog

Leaf Man comes from popular children’s Author and Illustrator Lois Elhert. Elhert is known for her collage style of illustrating, using found objects to create colorful and beautiful scenes. Leaf Man is available in a hardcover edition with glossy printed pages, each scalloped on the top to create a layered effect within the book.

Leaf man has landed in your yard, that’s right, look carefully and you will see the outline of a little man i
Megan
Jul 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
I met this author when she came to our library for our storytelling festival. After hearing her talk about her work and her art, I appreciate and admire her books even more. Mainly she works in collage, though her cut out books, namely Color Farm and Color Zoo, are equally creative and detailed. Much of her inspiration comes from nature and I have a hard time believing she still has not won a caldecott medal for her work. Look for board book variations of her work for the new babies. THe shapes ...more
Busy Mummy
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book for autumn time, so much so, the illustrations of the leaf man and the leaf animals and creatures featured in the story make you want to instantly go outside and create them yourself.

Fantastic book for any class discussing autumn changes and creative approaches to use outdoors such as, leaf hunting and identifying, creating our own leaf creatures/ animals, story mapping and retelling.

Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
Obviously this won the Caldecott for the illustrations. These were definitely creative and original when the book originally came out. They just aren't my style. I sort of like Rain Fish, also be Ehlert but perhaps it was the color scheme. I didn't overly enjoy the text, but, I did like the creative way the pages are cut to layer together.

It's hard to review something you know that you should like but your own personal tastes just don't align. If you like the cover, you'll probably like the boo
Beverly
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
While the story is a bit thin, this book shows a lot of artistic creativity. Ehlert uses photocopies of real leaves to create all kinds of creatures throughout the book, including the leaf man, leaf chickens, leaf ducks, leaf fish, leaf birds, etc. I really appreciated that the leaves are identified on the inside covers, front and back. In addition, the pages are not all the same size and shape, but cut into some interesting shapes along the tops. All in all, quite a lovely book.
Kate
Jan 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Kate by: Read for Children's Literature portfolio
Shelves: age-childrens, 2007
Simple words accompany color copies of leaves transformed into animals, fish, and vegetables on a search for “Leaf Man.” Uses repetition of “A Leaf Man’s got to go where the wind blows.” The inside and back covers include pictures of leaves with labels of types which might encourage children to identify the leaves in their backyard.
Linda Lipko
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a delightful illustrated book. This is a story of leaves in the shape of a man. As the wind blows him along, he finds animals and other items in the shape of leaves. The pages are not typical and are in various shapes.

Creative, unique and very special, I highly recommend this lovely illustrated book.
Lizet Serrano
I think the illustrations are what make this such a great story. I also, like the fact that the names of the leaves are included, which could be something that could catch a child's attention.
Dianna
Oct 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Illustrations made from leaves! Actually the illustrator's note says they're color copies of leaves, since real leaves tend to crumble and decay.
Brittany
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic illustrations. Love.
Michaela
Summary: The beauty of the autumn leaves is the theme of this refreshing and seasonally appropriate book that fires children's imaginations. Leaf man, the main character of the book, has got to go where the wind blows. He explores the ducks, marsh and geese in the east and the orchards, spotted cows and prairie meadows in the west. The illustrations made from actual fall leaves make the story come alive, and the die-cut pages display breath-taking landscapes.

Characteristics that Support the Genr
gina
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, fall
Okay. This is cute. My three year old liked it. It took him a few readings to realize the leaves made shapes. Once he started to see them he had so many questions. But you want to know what I think? Of course you do or you wouldn't be reading this. I think this is creepy as fuck. Look... I've seen the horror movies. I KNOW what happens with someone says creepy shit like
"This I do know: Where a Leaf Man will land, only the wind knows.
So listen for a rustle in the leaves....
Maybe you'll find a Le
Rocha Gilmore
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert different kinds of leaves formed like a man on the dust jacket and the leaves are the colors of fall. I really like enjoyed reading about what kind of leaves they are on the endpages. You can also find the name of the leaf and where you could find that leaf on the jacket flaps. The wind blew Leaf Man away telling a story where the wind took him by blowing over ducks, turkeys, lakes, and birds, fields, medows, (just to name a few) and the leaves create those animals and sc ...more
Victoria Swisher
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book describes the journey of the "Leaf Man" thorough the countryside on a breezy fall day. Leaf Man is made of all different kinds of fall leaves that have fallen from the trees and his journey takes him from place to place making new friends along the way. I thought that this was a great book. I loved the way the book was illustrated, every picture looked as if it was made from leaves, and I also like how the story gives children the idea of what happens to the leaves and other objects in ...more
Brandon Brice
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is about a fictional animation character that is a leaf. The story is told from the perspective of a child. The child tells you how sad he is when the leaf man ( which is just a pile of leaves in his yard) disappear. The author tells you about how the leaf man travels from yard to yard and maybe one day we would see it too. I think this book is good for k-1st grade when its fall time. I think that you could talk to the students about how the leaves fall of the trees and about fall. You ...more
Meredith
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Personifying fall, man made of leaves goes wherever the wind blows.

The reader follows the Leaf Man as he is blow across the landscape by the wind. What makes this book extraordinary are the collages made with actual leaves. The endpapers identify the different types of leaves used in illustrations. There is very little text, which invokes a fall atmosphere rather than tells a story.

This is a great read aloud fall book for small children. It would also be a great accompaniment for children's art
Danielle
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a really lovely picture book that both my 4yo and 5yo enjoyed. It follows some fall leaves as they are carried by the wind across many different types of landscapes. My favorite part of this book is the pictures. On the inside cover, front and back, there are different types of leaves and their names. Each page looks like real leaves, and I'm not sure how the effect was achieved but it's really cool. The pages are not perfectly square but layer at the top in a really interesting way. Thi ...more
Katie Robards
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A man-made leaf was created and it traveled throughout the book. The leaf could of went north, east, south, or west, but the person who created the leaf has no idea where the leaf went. The book continues to say, “A Leaf Man’s got to go where the wind blows.” It is important for the reader to understand that life will take everywhere, but it is important to stay positive. The person who made the leaf was happy that the leaf travel and got to see all different animals and places. This is an extre ...more
Jeremy Ruth
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdng-350-shelf
This book was fantastic. I loved the illustrations and the diverse pages. The story is cool, showing how leaves can travel across many different places, and how unique each place is. At he back of the book, there's a page with all kinds of leaves on it, with their actual names. I loved it.

I think younger readers would love this book so much. It's very colorful, tells a nice and gentle story, and is pretty cool. The pages are especially fun.
Susanna Hargreaves
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book to read in the fall to preschool and kindergarten aged children. It shares the different types of leaves and makes the journey of a lead blowing in the wind sound magical. The leaf is personified by being called a leaf man and is brought to life as it sees all the beauty and wonder of the world around us. This would be a great book to read while your child or student collects leaves on a Nature walk. A calming, peaceful book.
Brandy Watkins
The book inspires thoughts of where the Leaf Man goes as he travels through the wind. I thought the story-line was rather dull for the illustrations of brightly colored and detailed leaves. One other aspect I liked about the book came from the inside cover; it had pictures of different leaves that have names to help identify the leaves within the story.
Christina
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Christina by: “Book Crush” by Nancy Pearl
The many appeal of this children’s picture book is the creative illustrations. The author made color copies of leaves and arranged the copies to create the illustrations. I can see this inspiring creative kids to do the same. The story is simple and basically just serves as a way to string the illustrations together.
10TX
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
By Lois Eglert

A colorful, imaginative book that celebrates autumn. Illustrated with leaves and seeds and using few words, this book is a work of visual art and imagination. The layers peel away as you allow your imagination to take you where the wind may be carrying leaf man off to this fall.

4 stars for beauty

• Apples and Pumpkins
  • Thanks for Thanksgiving
  • Big Frog Can't Fit In: A pop out book
  • Pumpkin Pumpkin
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • Apple Farmer Annie
  • Pumpkin Trouble
Lois Ehlert has created numerous inventive, celebrated, and bestselling picture books, including Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Holey Moley, The Scraps Book, Mice, Ten Little Caterpillars, RRRalph, Lots of Spots, Boo to You!, Leaf Man, Waiting for Wings, Planting a Rainbow, Growing Vegetable Soup, and Color Zoo, which received a Caldecott Honor. She lives in Milwaukee, Wisconsin