Start by marking “Always Follow the Elephants: More Surprising Facts and Misleading Myths about Our Health and the World We Live In” as Want to Read:

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews

From The New York Times’s intrepid “Really?†reporter and author of the bestselling Never Shower in a Thunderstorm, more mind-opening health facts (and fictions)

In this follow-up to the bestselling Never Shower in a Thunderstorm, New York Times columnist Anahad O’Connor uncovers the truth behind a hundred more old wives’ tales and conventional-wisdom cures. O’

Published September 29th 2009 by Times Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Always Follow the Elephants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Always Follow the Elephants

Mazola1
Nov 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Always Follow The Elephants is a fun read. It answers those weird little questions we all seem to ask ourselves, but never quite get around to finding out the answers to ourselves. For all those who have ever wondered if you can get hurt by standing too close to the microwave while waiting for your popcorn to pop or whether it's true that chocolate causes acne, this is the book for you. The anwers are informative, brief, and all documented by actual scientific studies. Always Follow The Elephant ...more
Shandra
Feb 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Shandra by: Coventry Library
Funny I picked this up just for kicks and learned alot of those myths my Grandma use to tell me just wasn't right.
Nicole
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
It is one thing to hear a myth... and believe it (most people say its true so you would think its legit) and its another when someone not only disproves it, but breaks it down for you to understand! Super! I thought this book was actually quite interesting... some things I didn't really want to know... "sex yoga strengthening positions" but others I had NO IDEA that it was a false myth: "can you become infertile and sick by standing in front of a microwave" "can you tell your babies gender by ho ...more
Desiree
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Amusing- I don't read the Times so was not aware of his column but it's interesting and a good read. I enjoyed how he structured the different mini-essays in sections; it could have been too random in a way. I wish there were a bit more information and less brushing-off of some of the toxicity in our current Westernized society, and a bit more of an environmental bent, but you can't win them all.
Chris
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun to read. It definitely debunks many of the beliefs that are commonly thought to be true. I found some of the questions more interesting than others, but it was easy enough to skim over those and move on to a section more to my liking.
Donna Jo Atwood
O'Connor writes about various health myths, exploring how much truth is isn them--feed a cold, starve a fever; what does swallowing chewing gum do to your insides; does a spicy meal at night cause sleeplessness?
This is a good bathroom book--short 1-2 page segments.
Sharise
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
great read for trip to the lavatory.
Alicia
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, favorites
Great book to read on the go. Interesting, random facts. Stuff you never knew you wanted to know but are now glad you know :-) Would recommend.
Hayley Phoon
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book will increased your general knowledge. It's a nice book to read, currently still reading half way
Kelly
Aug 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great book to read in my chemistry class
Paula Leah
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Best book I EVER had, overall; an excellent book!
Richard Martin
Dec 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Similar to "Cross Eyes." Demythilizes old wive's tales, and urban legends about our health. Each section begins with the author's personal experiences as leads.
Jen