Start by marking “Shift: How to Reinvent Your Business, Your Career, and Your Personal Brand” as Want to Read:
Shift: How to Reinvent Your Business, Your Career, and Your Personal Brand

Shift: How to Reinvent Your Business, Your Career, and Your Personal Brand

Little changes can make a big difference.

When some of the world’s biggest corporations need to revive their brands, innovate products, and rethink their images, they call Peter Arnell.

Now in his fourth decade of branding and marketing for such companies as Samsung, Reebok, DKNY, GNC, and Pepsi, Arnell explains how you can use some of the same strategies that famous bra
Published June 15th 2010 by Broadway Business (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Shift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shift

Schmacko
Sep 02, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Peter Arnell is cool; he’ll tell you so. He’s reinvented Samsung, Reebok, Pepsi, DKNY, and scads of other businesses by redrawing their logo or rebranding their image (with some nominal help from other people). He’s also lost 256 pounds seemingly overnight and without a lot of medical insight. And he knows a lot of famous people, and, kids, he’s not afraid to name-drop. That’s about all I got from this book.

Arnell is an expert of branding. “Branding” happens when we quit saying cotton swab and s
Claire Grasse
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
Where to start, where to start... This book might better have been titled "The Marginally Interesting Weight Loss Journey of Peter Arnell." Or better yet "Peter Arnell Toots His Own Horn." Or better still "Peter Arnell Breaks His Own Arm Patting Himself on the Back."

This book was narcissistic, rife with name-dropping and self-congratulation, and offered very little in the way of actual advice on the personal re-branding process. It felt like each time Arnell got close to offering something help
Mike
Nov 23, 2010 added it
Shelves: tried-and-quit
A stupid, stupid book.
Dave
I am constantly digging for some insight or idea that might allow me to become better at some aspect of my life. And, for some reason this book really struck a chord.

I'm not sure exactly why this book hit me so hard. It could have been the amount of oranges that Arnell eats. I've been an avid orange eater, eating more than a dozen a day on more occasions than I would care to admit. Or, it could be all of the strategies about branding that I found met my own philosophy on marketing and branding.
Dan
Sep 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
This is not a very interesting book. Arnell has a good story of losing weight, but he spends most of the time talking about himself and stories from his career. When he does try to tie it to what the reader can do, it's usually a pretty obvious connection.
sheena
Mar 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-oz
Why did my one and only father send me this? Either he adored it or, or he simply needed to get rid of it, and make room for superior reading materials. I'm guessing the latter, but let's see.
David
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it
The topic of this book is "how to reinvent your business, your career and your personal brand". Based on the subtitle's description I expected the book to be a strategy with examples how to rebrand. What I read did not meet my expectations of what the title described.

Arnell writes a great story about the rebranding of his life, career and brand. He writes in a way that makes it easy for me to connect with him and he seems very approachable and friendly. Most of the book discusses his incredible
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a motivational/autobiography book. The author explain his weight loss journey and motivates to make big changes to achieve a goal.
Drew Downs
Oct 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: leadership
A good marketing book when marketing yourself is your primary goal. The author's engaging narrative of his own personal transformation is central, and works very well to anchor his theory. He also reveals several of his personal mantras which make for good memory devices.

The book has two glaring weaknesses, however.
1) His high profile stature makes some of his examples fall flat. Some of them, while describing the stakes, actually undermine his position. One such example is when he talks about
Abhishek
Feb 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
When a guy who has reinvented the brands like Samsung, Pepsi and Reebok writes that what he did with those brands can be replicated to develop a personal brand, I say this looks like worth reading.

Worth reading it is! Peter Arnell has beautifully converged his personal journey of loosing his weight of over 200 pounds to the world of his experience with brands which have changed our lives in some way. This book certainly provides a priceless opportunity to peek in the mind of the genius and prov
Dan
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book started off great – I was really intrigued to read about this marketing savant Peter Arnell (the author of the book) who lost 250 pounds by eating upwards of 50 oranges a day. There is really no doubting this guys brilliance – he was seemingly involved in every major advertising feat of the last twenty years with brands like Samsung, Donna Karen New York, and Pepsi. If you ever need a brand consultant, this is the guy to hire. Unfortunately, his book was more of a memoir than a lesson ...more
Yassir Islam
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it
In this personal account, Arnell speaks of his own journey to re-invent or rebrand himself along with insights from his his own impressive career. He talks about having one life where work and home are not compartmentalized, and this book reflects that approach. It's a curious mix of his own struggles, anecdotes, and business acumen. All branding begins with a big pictures, big ideas and finding the new and Arnell, by sharing how he did that with some iconic brands gives us insight into his proc ...more
Ann
Jun 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
disclaimer: I read this book in error. My friends had recommended Switch (re: change management) and for some reason I put this on hold at the library instead (maybe because I'm on a health kick and needed to hear about someone's successful weight loss story?). This book is about re-branding yourself (which should have tipped me off since I was trying to read about change management). In reality, this book is really just a marketing guy talking about how great he is because he has re-branded all ...more
j
Jun 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Great concept but poorly executed. The problem is, this fellow is clearly an ad exec talking about your career the way stereotypical ad execs do--assuming that people are basically stupid and will buy anything branded the right way. I do love his emphasis on discovering your core values and skills rather than trying to create a new, inauthentic "you," but the tone is so condescending that the sage advice is mostly lost.

Ps . His weight loss tips are pretty sketch. I can't imagine what the benefit
Wesley Cox
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Yea so there is major self aggrandizement, and yes he name drops - but it did not bother me. Phil Collins is an egoist and so is Kanye, but I still enjoy their work product. At least Peter drops good names! His accounts of the huge brands he helped shape and the major players he rubs elbows with reminded me to pay close attention to the nuggets of branding advice that he peppered through the entire book. It is an easy read and very uplifting book. Glad to have been able to hear the personal stor ...more
Darth J
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read it, it was okay... The price is out of proportion because the book is so short. For the most part all the author does is keep bringing up the point that he lost so much weight. We get it: you're not fat anymore, now can you talk about anything else without using a metaphor for the weight loss?

His point is about changing habits, ahem "shifting" habits. The whole thing is pretty much common sense bits of advice thrown in with him complimenting himself on everything he has done in his life.
Steven
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
WOW! I have read several books on this topic and none of them have ever impacted me more. I dont know if it was because I am at a different, more goal oriented point in my life, or because the book was just that good. I think it was a combination of both. I cannot reccomend this book more. Peter Arnell takes you through his life and the changes it took to go from 406 lbs to 150 lbs and applies that to all sorts of challenges you might face. If you want to change anything about yourself and are s ...more
Leslie
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arnie-s-books
The perfect little book for anyone looking to make a change, however small or large, in your life/career. The author uses weight loss as his real-life example, but it could easily be applied to just about any change or situation. The honest style comes off as very unassuming - he describes himself as being a loud, large personality but that doesn't really come through on the page. Instead, it's a stripped down version of how he remade himself into a healthier, happier version while still staying ...more
Duncan
Aug 29, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marketing
more of an auto-biography than anything else. there are morsels of interest sprinkled throughout the first half of the book, but it's mostly a self-aggrandizing review of the author's work, life and weight loss. could really have been synthesized as a blog post.
Pam
Sep 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
Silly little book about a MAN who eats dozens of oranges all day!Saw him on Martha Stewart's show..she recommended reading his book ,of course!I got suckered in.But,Really..this is an important book to read because......??????
Barry Bridges
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Marketing superstar Peter Arnell gives the secrets of rebranding from his own personal story of a complete rebranding of who he was, how he lived, and how he appeared. His achievement adds substance to the corporate illustrations of branding makeovers.
Deb
Jun 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, business
A good book about building brands and reinventing yourself. Lots of insider stories as Arnell has worked with many top companies and big names in fashion, etc.

A more complete review can be found here:

Nick Woodall
I really liked this book. This man has gone through an incredible transformation, both physically and wholistically. I thought he should have spent a little more time talking about personal branding and how that needs to be fleshed out. Overall, quite inspiring.
Ben
Nov 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Will buy this book one day. Lots of ways to look at life and I'm very happy I was able to read it
Lee
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Disappointing.
Marc Medley
Read Shift while on vacation in Jamaica. Interesting read concerning our perspective and how it can be shifted in order to help us realize our goals.
Jeff Kessler
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
Too self centered. It's more biography than business book. Whatever little weight Martha's endorsements held is now nonexistent.
Robin Norgren
Fantastic read! From page 1 ideas and thoughts and reshaping of how I view the way I do business - add to you MUST READ business books
Ben
rated it did not like it
Jan 26, 2013