Start by marking “Berlin (City Lit Series)” as Want to Read:
Berlin (City Lit Series)

Berlin (City-Lit)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  30 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Experience the haunting and exciting city of Berlin as never before, in the company of its most fascinating writers. Join them as

Christopher Isherwood takes us to the cabaret
David Bowie cycles through Berlin
Anna Funder remembers Stasiland
Ian McEwan overhears talk in a Berlin bar
Christabel Beilenberg wouldn't live anywhere else
David Hare contemplates a wartime memorial
Marle
Published May 1st 2010 by Oxygen Press

To ask other readers questions about Berlin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Berlin

Allan
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I reread this on my trip to the city, and as before thoroughly enjoyed the mix of fiction and non fiction extracts held within. Probably my favourite of the series, and one I'd recommend to anyone planning a visit to the German capital.
Ilana
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The guide caught perfectly the main feature of the city: always on the move. Even though I am not familiar with many of the books and authors included in this Berlin collection, the selection reflects the various faces of the city, its complexities, intricate history and eccentricities. The book offers a good guidance to anyone that wants more than a simple tourist experience of the city.
Neil
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
The snack-sized (1-2 page) novel and memoir excerpts are seemingly tailored to liven up a ride on the U-bahn. They capture many faces of life here over the last century, although the progression of themes did feel a bit circular by the end.
Tim Evans
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent companion piece to traditional guides to the city. Takes extracts from the likes of Ian McEwan and Ian Walker to provide a collection of insights into both old and new Berlin.
Beatrice
Nov 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An interesting cross section of extracts about Berlin from Isherwood to my friend, Anna Winger. A few of the extracts are from Lilly/Glimmer, which is nice.
Rachel
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: b, 2014, female-author
Berlin is my favourite city that I have so far visited and to find a book that celebrated the city (both its highs and lows) was wonderful. It covers the main points in the cities history, and introduced new authors to me as well as books I already love such as The Luminous Life Of Lilly Aphrodite and Goodbye to Berlin. It has also shown me places in the city which I was unaware of and I am now desperate to go back and visit. It doesn't shy away from its history and the chapter 'The Past is Anot ...more
Tripfiction
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The amuse bouche of city literary writing - BERLIN

This is ideal for a quick dip. The work that must have gone into collating these little gems, including a great variety of authors describing a great variety of Berlin foibles, characteristics, situations and history (both good and bad); oh, and that Berlin wit is sharp, it is to the point but rarely crude. It is a delight to read the odd passage, and enjoy a brief encounter with the city. Some things described are delightful, other heart reading
Stephen
May 29, 2011
J
rated it it was ok
Jun 29, 2013
Hello. I'm Heather Reyes - writer, editor, publisher,' Londoner'.

I'm co-founder of Oxygen Books and have edited all nine of the volumes in our city-pick series of travel anthologies.

Before setting up Oxygen Books in 2008, I had published a range of things - children's stories, poetry, short stories, articles, and a novel (Zade, Saqi Books 2004). Now that Oxygen Books is ticking over, I'm getting b
More about Heather Reyes...

City-Lit (8 books)
  • Amsterdam (City Pick Series)
  • London (City Lit Series)
  • Paris (City-Lit)
  • New York (city-pick series)
  • Dublin (city-pick series)
  • St Petersburg (city-pick series)
  • Istanbul (city-pick)