Start by marking “Enchanted Afternoon (Calhoun Chronicles #4)” as Want to Read:
Enchanted Afternoon (Calhoun Chronicles #4)

Enchanted Afternoon (Calhoun Chronicles #4)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  789 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
The wife of an ambitious senator, Helena Cabot is the perfect accessory for a man whose hunger for power knows no bounds. But she married for all the wrong reasons and now she is trapped with a dangerous man. Fearing for her safety, Helena ends her marriage and flees to a safe haven. But she soon understands that it's impossible to outrun the past, so she turns to Michael ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by Harlequin Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Enchanted Afternoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enchanted Afternoon

IrishFan
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the 4th book in this series and I liked it. I wasn't sure since there were once again some new characters mixed in with some I had read about but it worked. It did take me a few chapters to get the new women straight in my head. Sadly, I knew the outcome for Sarah once she went back to her husband. It was a nice touch to not have her kill her husband but for the mistress to do it. I am looking forward to the final book.
Gail
Weakest of the "Calhoun Chronicles" series. Hero was very difficult to like; heroine wasn't quite weak but was strong enough to do what she did in the book. After reading the magnificent first three books, this one was a disappointment.
Pat Davis
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good story line with lots of action. At the end the author got a little toothy in filling up the book.
Traci Shipley
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is romance genre fluff. I did get thru it but did a LOT off skimming through. I have enjoyed Sun Wiggs books before. But, not this one.
SuperWendy
I love Susan Wiggs' historicals - but her series tend to follow a specific pattern for me. There are books I love and then books....I don't love. When it comes to the Calhoun Chronicles (although I still need to read #5!) this book had to be DNF'ed for my own sanity. Here are the rundown of the characters:

1) The heroine - who gets knocked up, marries a man who ain't The Baby Daddy quickly, then proceeds to pass off her son as her husband's spawn for the next 8+ years.

2) The "hero" - who gets the
Violet Banerjee
Feb 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Susan Wiggs is a brilliant writer and Enchanted Afternoon is rich with historical detail about Saratoga Springs and nineteenth century feminism. Her protagonist, Helena Cabot, goes on a journey of self-discovery during the course of the book and emerges a stronger, more self-assured individual. The women Helena gathers around herself are finely drawn personalities. The book stands on its own as a tale of friendship and personal growth.

Enchanted Afternoon is book 4 of The Calhoun Chronicles, and
Rochelle
Read from October 20 to 21, 2013
Okay, so normally I don't reread books because I have over 550 books on my "to-read" shelf, but after reading Halfway to Heaven (Calhoun Chronicles #3) I wanted to reread this to see if it works better in order.
It does!
So, my tip to anyone reading these books, they make more sense when they're read in order! Michael had so much more depth and the pieces fell into place better once you put their past relationship into place!

Read from August 17 to 18, 2012
I enjoy
Sandra
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
9 years ago, pregnant Helena left Professor Michael Rowan to marry Senator Troy Barnes. After leaving her abusive marriage, Helena comes face to face with Michael who learns the truth about her son. Meanwhile amongst this drama, Helena learns to stand up for herself and other abused women in the growing women's movement in Saratoga Springs.

A continuation of the Calhoun Chronicles, Wiggs delves into the story of Helena Cabot in this 19th century romance. With her usual attention to detail, Wiggs
Nancynova
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: oct-dec-2012
Not sure why this is called Enchanted Afternoon - the title doesn't fit the book. Very good though. About an early pregnant woman, who marries a politician with her parent's blessing - exactly what everyone thought was a spectacular match. But no one know the wife beating demons he had, and what a social face she has put forward. So everyone is shocked when she divorces her husband and opens Moon Lake Lodge - a refuge for abused women that she succeeds in creating and sustaining - and she reconn ...more
Kathy Anne
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book,even tho I had to skip the spouse abuse part,just can`t read that awful stuff.
As a rule I don`t like historicals,tho I find myself reading Susan`s and liking them too.I was glued to this one,I finished at 3:20AM-that doesn`t happen very often.I thought there was a perfect ending too in the person of one little gal that met Troy at the dock at just the right time.Hooray for her !
  • Never Love a Cowboy
  • Dust Devil
  • Three Nights...
  • An Arabian Courtship
  • Three Little Secrets (MacLachlan Family, #4)
  • Just One Kiss
  • Corbin's Fancy (Corbins, #2)
  • If You Love Me (Mackinnon, #7)
  • Surrender to the Fury
  • A Woman's Heart (Castleough, #1)
  • The Salvatore Marriage Deal
  • One Night, One Baby
  • About Adam (Mayfair Square, #5)
  • Love's Choices
  • The Chaperone Bride (Tallants #2)
  • The Millionaire Boss's Baby
  • Jingle Bells, Wedding Bells
  • Bride of His Choice - Pengantin Pilihan
Susan Wiggs's life is all about family, friends...and fiction. She lives at the water's edge on an island in Puget Sound, and she commutes to her writers' group in a 17-foot motorboat. She serves as author liaison for Field's End, a literary community on Bainbridge Island, Washington, bringing inspiration and instruction from the world's top authors to her seaside community. (See www.fieldsend.org ...more
More about Susan Wiggs...

Calhoun Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Charm School (Calhoun Chronicles #1)
  • The Horsemaster's Daughter (Calhoun Chronicles #2)
  • Halfway to Heaven (Calhoun Chronicles #3)
  • A Summer Affair (Calhoun Chronicles #5)