Start by marking “La Republica de East L.A.: Cuentos” as Want to Read:
La Republica de East L.A.: Cuentos

La Republica de East L.A.: Cuentos

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  321 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Ya sea en la comiquísima y filosofaclora voz de un chófer de limusina cuyo sueño es mejorar su grupo amateur de "rap-metal" en "Mi Carro, Mi Revolució", o en la diatriba en forma de monólogo de Ysela, una evangelista de carpa que da tes-ti-mo-nio en "Oiga", Rodríguez halla humor en las vidas de personajes que no están dispuestos a sacrificar sus sueños debido a las circuns ...more
Published March 4th 2003 by HarperCollins Español (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about La Republica de East L.A., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Republica de East L.A.

Meghan Fidler
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've just become a Rodriguez fan. This book contains twelve of his short stories. The descriptions in these stories are fresh- I'll demonstrate a couple of examples of his technique:

From "Finger Dance," page 76:
“Although they had long stopped being intimate, she was connected to him like a canary to a song.”

From the intro to "Boom Boom Bot," page 91:
“There was nothing around for miles but buildings rife with graffiti, sun-starched streets, and bone-gray cement walkways—an exasperating sameness
Osvaldo
It was ok. I am always interested in reading things by Latino-American writers and with Latino-American characters, and while my usual focus is the Hispanophone Caribbean, Mexican and Chicano identity and experience interest me because I think the long-time transnational relationship between Mexico and the U.S. helps to shape the contours of the broader Latino-American imaginary. Unfortunately, however, these stories fail to engage at any level and they are hampered by clunky prose and maudlin c ...more
Elizabeth
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A young boy name Cruz that is in his teen area he lives in Boyle Heights. Cruz is mixed with Mexican and Indian. Cruz is in a rap-and-rock band called LA Cruz Negra. In the band, he has long hair not because of his culture he has it long because of his band. There are 4 people in his group they practice every day in his garage. He stopped the band because they all started to go there different ways. Cruz started to work as of being a limo driver. He was doing that for awhile. They fired him from ...more
susan
Jun 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It's a bunch of short stories that all take place in East LA. It opened my eyes alot to immigrant communitites and hispanic communitites- people just trying to get by in unincorporated East LA in the barros.
Kenneth Martinez
I guess one of the reasons i enjoyed this book more than i should have is because of the settings the author uses... It's all over the neighborhood i grew up around!... Loved it!
Diana Jou
Dec 19, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i love short stories. vivid, touching, and funny. because it is set it LA, i recognized street names and places, and got a tiny taste of LA's cultural richness.
monica
Sep 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
although fiction, it features many stories that one would find having grown up in east la
Lynn
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
aunque escrito en ingles, lo he leido este libro en español y me encanta.
Heather Colon
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1.) This book has 12 short stories, all of them take place in east L.A. They all are from different people and their stories.

2.) I gave the book 4 stars because it was really good except for a couple of the stories. A couple just did not interest me.

3.) "Although they had long stopped being intimate, she was connected to him like a canary to song." (76, Rodriguez) I chose this quote because it was from one of the stories that i liked and the lady was still in love with the man even though he was
Jan 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: los-angeles
woo hoo! first book of 2008! i hadn't read short stories in quite a while because i don't really like them. these were very readable and the subject matter was interesting (set in the east la of my lifetime, more or less), but most of them ended quite abruptly, as though the author suddenly recalled that he was writing a short story and could end it at his convenience. so, worth a quick read, but not overwhelmingly wonderful.
Carly
Jan 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book of short stories with amazing imagery of East L.A., Los Feliz, Boyle Heights, Echo Park areas. I bought it a revolutionary bookstore filled w/ Che Guevarra memorobelia. The book is very graphic, yet realistic. The underlying theme is hope...even though these characters seemingly have nothing to hope for...they just keep on going.
Alessandra Santamaria
If you are interested in reading about the life of mexican americans or just mexicans in the USA, this is a great start. Some of the storys are truly fascinating and very well written. I enjoyed them and it was refreshing to see the sacrifices and problems that my fellow mexicans have to endure while fighting for a better life in a different country.
Jeff Tucker
This is a collection of short stories about the Mexican immigrants in East L.A.. The stories are interesting but for the most part not too happy. They're about poverty, hunger, unemployment, despair and violence. I finished the book just feeling sorry for all the poor people that have to live under these terrible circumstances.
Denisse
Apr 29, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I expected much more. Yes East L.A. has poverty and crime etc. etc. but there are also people going to college people with good jobs and just plain people making it even though they live in the ghetto. Unfortunately all of these stories but one are typical ( as in already written/ similarly written) ghetto stories. I expected much more from Luis Rodriguez. Like the rating says: it was ok.
Max
Mar 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading these stories. There may have been a few towards the end I could have done without, but overall, Luis Rodriguez does an incredible job of crafting these many characters and developing their relationship with their East L.A environment (and sometimes Mexico as well). I just like how much you get a feel for the protagonists and the settings in so few pages.
Maribel
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is awesome it's an inside look into live in East L.A. and what people there go through and how they live and how some of them can overcome poverty and gangs and actually make a positive future for themselves.
Cinlu
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!
I wanted to read more Books written by Chicano authors!
These short stories were amazing one of my favorites was oiga!
Must read! You will get a taste of Chicano beliefs and issues that we still deal with
Lizette
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is just wow!!! I just fell in love with the first story!! I can totally relate to the driver Cruz bc he talks about the struggles of being Mexican American!!
Narcissa
Nov 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i really enjoyed this book. it gave me the knowledge that many other people go through the same experiences as i do.
Melissa
short stories
Marcus Guillory
Engaging character portraits.
SAPL Christina
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicano
If you grew up in the hood, many of Rodríguez's stories will resonate with you.
Con toda el alma.
Sandra
Dec 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked these stories. You learn a little bit more about the barrio of East LA from everybody's perspective.
Julie Gallegos
Vivid and inspiring!
Anne
Apr 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stories
I read three stories from this collection: "My Ride, My Revolution," "Mechanics," and "Chain-Link Lover."
Claudia
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Vivid characters come alive in this collection of short stories where people laugh despite living in poverty and hope for a brighter life.
Sofia Galvez
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: latino
The problem with short stories is that you always want more. The stories always feel like a tease. Anyways, I really enjoyed the ones in this book.
Exportswede
Rodriguez is one of my favourite authors, so naturally I'm biased.
Kathleen O'Nan
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fact that the author is mainly a poet shines throughout his short stories.
Norma Saldana
Oct 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rodriquez is such a clear, sharp and vibrant writer. I haven't heard anyone tell it quite like he has.
  • American Knees
  • East Side Stories: Gang Life in East L.A.
  • Tropical Fish: Tales from Entebbe
  • Hapa Girl: A Memoir
  • Revenge of the Mooncake Vixen
  • Epileptic 1 [L'Ascension du Haut Mal, 1-3]
  • Get a Life
  • Drink Cultura: Chicanismo
  • Candy
  • Charley's War, Volume 1: 2 June – 1 August 1916 (Charley’s War, #1)
  • Hijas Americanas: Beauty, Body Image, and Growing Up Latina
  • Locas
  • Secret Identities: The Asian American Superhero Anthology
  • The Moths and Other Stories
  • The Revolt of the Cockroach People
  • The Tattooed Soldier
  • Zoot Suit and Other Plays
  • Buried Onions
Luis J. Rodríguez (b. 1954) is a poet, journalist, memoirist, and author of children’s books, short stories, and novels. His documentation of urban and Mexican immigrant life has made him one of the most prominent Chicano literary voices in the United States. Born in El Paso, Texas, to Mexican immigrant parents, Rodríguez grew up in Los Angeles, where in his teen years he joined a gang, lived on t ...more
More about Luis J. Rodríguez...

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland