Start by marking “One Dangerous Lady (Jo Slater #2)” as Want to Read:
One Dangerous Lady (Jo Slater #2)

One Dangerous Lady

(Jo Slater #2)

No one brings alive the intrigues of the champagne set like Jane Stanton Hitchcock. Now Jo Slater, the wily heroine of her best-selling novel Social Crimes, returns in a dazzling new story of passion, money, and murder. Jo is in Barbados, preoccupied by the notion of a new romance with a dashing English lord, when Russell Cole, a fabulously wealthy art collector, disappear ...more
Published July 1st 2005 by Miramax Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about One Dangerous Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Dangerous Lady

Beth Pearson
Aug 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense
This story starts out with 2 filthy rich 50-something women nursing hangovers on the balcony of a villa in Barbados. The BFF's daughter is getting married and we hear the friend griping about the pain of destination weddings, visiting other filthy stinking rich people in their mansions, etc. Kind of an annoying story and I almost quit reading it.

Instead I flipped open to a random page where a woman was confiding to a journalist-friend of her past involvement in someone's death, details of black
Eadie
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-1000, read-2017
I listened to this audio for an Around the World challenge for the location of Barbados. It was a great look at the rich and powerful people in New York society and how they act. It was well-written and suspense-filled with plot twists and turns and a surprise ending. I found many of the characters quite humorous which made the book very entertaining. It has all the elements of a great summer beach read: murder, mystery, scandal and intrigue. I highly recommend this book to those who love light ...more
Devon
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Socialite Jo Slater is back in Jane Stanton-Hitchcock's follow up to 'SOCIAL CRIMES' and after falling from grace Jo once again reigns supreme over New York's social scene. However, once again Jo finds that someone else is vying for her spot amongst the social elite. This time it is the wife of missing billionaire Russell Cole.

On a trip to Barbados to attend his goddaughters wedding Russell Cole goes missing from his palatial yacht. Not wanting to declare him dead, wife, Carla uses Russell's abu
Joanne Mawhirt
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I found in this book that there were too many descriptive paragraphs, meaning you could easily follow the story line by reading the first and last sentence of each paragraph and still keep up without feeling like you have missed anything.
Plus I felt the story line was predictable, therefore not really keeping you interested.
Edie Light
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed this book! It’s been a long time since I stayed up to 12:40 a.m. to finish a book. I love the characters, the angst, the imagination of the author. I would love to have the author over for dinner one night. I think we could be great friends. Highly recommend, but you need to read Social Crimes first.
Anneliese Bell
Jul 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
This woman loves to repeat her "clever phrases" over and over and over and over and over and over......again. It's quite annoying. I can't imagine the poor people who have to converse with her in real life. What a bore.
Lauren Smith
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this enthralling thriller with so many twists and turns! There was so much to the story. It wasn't an easily predictable murder plot, but had an ending that no one could see coming.
Christine Grant
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rich and famous of New York society. Carla Cole seems to get everything she wants...but is she a murderer? Cute mystery. 3.5
G Lockridge
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
New York society, money, scandal and murder. What more does a story need?
Susan Ferguson
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, fiction, mystery
Interesting book and premise. The quote at the beginning "The social ramble ain't restful. - Satchel Paige

You've got to like a book that begins thusly:
"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a widow in possession f a good fortune must be in want of a husband. Or so all my friends constantly tell me."
Jo Slater is a queen of New York society. Her best friend Betty's daughter is getting married in Barbados and Jo has been invited to stay with her for the festivities and the wedding. Betty want
Connie
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ONE DANGEROUS LADY by Jane Stanton Hitchcock is 406 pages in trade paperback form. This is a stand alone as far as I could tell about the book.

Brief Description:

THE HIGHER THE SOCIETY, THE LOWER THE FALL...

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a widow in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a husband. Being such a widow, I'm a little more skeptical Just as I'm skeptical of those who say that doing something once makes it easier to do a second time, such as skydiving or buying a
Nancy
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Jane Stanton Hitchcock's saucy, snarky society novels are light and lethal like a glass (or three) of nice champagne.

Prospective readers should accept this book for what it is---good, nasty fun. NOT contemporary literature, but a great read. As Hitchcock's characters hop from one over-the-top party to the next, the reader looking for "more" can contemplate the frailty of friendship, the brutality of boardrooms (non-profit, of course), and the determination of dames to climb the social ladder. Y
Carol
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
o Synopsis: Jo Slater is in Barbados, preoccupied by the notion of a new romance with a dashing English lord, when Russell Cole, a fabulously wealthy art collector, disappears from his yacht. Jo suspects that Russell's wife knows a great deal more about her husband's disappearance than she is letting on. Back in New York, Jo discovers that a figure from her own past continues to put her at great risk and that neither the urbane lord nor her missing friend's wife is what they appear to be.
Another
Samantha
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
I listened to the unabridged audiobook. After slogging through many chapters mostly devoted to a supposedly funny portrayal of NYC "high" society, I skipped chapters 22-34 and didn't feel as if I missed a thing. The only mystery in the novel was how long it would take the author to reveal the obvious. The only character I found interesting was unfortunately killed off. The reader, Barbara Rosenblat, however, was excellent, one of a very few I've heard who can do voices of the opposite gender cre ...more
Sabine
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
So much fun! Not high literature, granted, but excellently written entertainment. Pleasurable read throughout. Some of characters' lines made me laugh out loud!
Thank God for "Goodreads" and "Kindle"! I read two of her books years past (pre-Kindle years), highly enjoyed them, and couldn't find any more in the bookstores.... Nice surprise to see on line that Stanton Hitchcock has written quite a few more stories - I am looking forward to reading them!
Debra
Aug 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
I know it is always a risk to judge a book by its cover but Laura and I were willing to take this risk when we saw the hot lady on the cover of the book. She was so enticing we could not wait until she appeared on softcover. And it was worth the risk. This book was a cross between chick lit and Agatha Christie and I thoroughly enjoyed this modern mystery.
Asia
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Read it" as an audiobook. Great narrator. Not only was I looking forward to my daily work commute so that I can listen to this "page turner" but I even finished it.

Suspenseful and great writing. Not predictable like many books out there. Portrays a realistic picture of the upper-class Manhattan society.

(Book Checked out on 6-17-12)
Fran
Oct 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this "easy read" book. Since I liked the authors writing style, I looked for others by the same author. I discovered that this book was actually a sequel to the next I read entitltled "Social Crimes". Still enjoyed it but I knew the outcome before I finished it so read this book AFTER reading "Social Crimes"
Amber
Aug 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Women
This book was an easy read and kept me wanting more. If you like books about swanky, extreme upper-class, snooty, gossiping women, then this book is for you. I highly recommend it as a book to read while on vacation.
Meghan
Jan 22, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was not good. It didn't keep my attention and it wasn't entertaining at all. Plus the author isn't good, she apparently doesn't have capable editors because I found a lot of mistakes. I figured the story out from the beginning and wasn't shocked by any of it.
Lindsay
Oct 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Another page turning book by Hitchcock. This book combines the upper-class life--the yachts, the parties, the clothes, the customs--with tremendous suspense and one of the greatest women characters, Jo Slater.
Make sure to read the prequel Social Crimes.
Rebecca
Mar 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Really good follow up to Social Crimes. It's not necessary to read the first before this one. There are a few mentions of the previous novel, but this is a stand alone novel. Very good - and well worth the read.
Louise
Mar 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: cd, e-book
Nothing too special but still entertaining to listen to. If you can find it for less than $5, pick it up. I give it a 6.5 on my 10 scale
Irvin Kelly
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not as as good as Social Crimes, but quite entertaining. This book picked up for me toward the end.
Waukena Cuyjet
Almost to the end of this book. Loving the life of the elite in New York City. A good mystery. Reads like a made for TV movie.
Mandy
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is the sequel to social crimes and i thought it was great, maybe not as good as the first (but they never are) but it still kept me interested, full of high society scandal!
TW
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Pretty much the same as book 1. Still a fun read.
Stasha
Jun 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really liked this because it had a who-dunnit kind of vibe to it. Not to mention that St. Lucia played a small role as well!
Linda
Aug 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
With humor and panache, author Hitchcock concocts a devious, convoluted plot in which not one, but two truly dangerous ladies play a deadly game of cat and mouse.
  • Murder at the Bad Girl's Bar and Grill
  • Mail
  • Midnight Paws (Ghost Cat #1)
  • Perfect Poison (Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #4)
  • Arson and Old Lace (Far Wychwood, #1)
  • Priceless (Kick Keswick, #2)
  • Brownie and the Dame (Bubba Snoddy, #3.5)
  • The Chinese Parrot (Charlie Chan, #2)
  • There's Nothing in This Book That I Meant to Say
  • The Case of the Crooked Candle
  • A Rather Curious Engagement (Penny Nichols, #2)
  • The Withdrawing Room (Kelling & Bittersohn, #2)
  • The Ming and I (Den of Antiquity, #3)
  • Bookmarked to Die (Miss Zukas, #9)
  • Pride and Prejudice and Kitties: A Cat-Lover's Romp through Jane Austen's Classic
  • A Murderous Yarn (A Needlecraft Mystery, #5)
  • Nashville Noir (Murder, She Wrote, #33)
  • The Franklin Affair
Bestselling author Jane Stanton Hitchcock was born and raised in New York City, where she led a seemingly privileged life. Early on, she learned the trappings of wealth and fame are not nearly all they are cracked up to be, themes she has since explored in screenplays, stage plays, and novels dealing with murder and mayhem in high places.

Best known for her mystery novels, Jane is also an avid pok

Jo Slater (2 books)
  • Social Crimes (Jo Slater #1)