Start by marking “The Horse Dealer's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Horse Dealer's Daughter

The Horse Dealer's Daughter

3.36  ·  Rating details ·  378 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
D.H. Lawrence's 'The Horse Dealer's Daughter' could be described as a story in which boy meets girl. Its plot, on the surface, resembles that of any number of traditionally romantic pastorals: a country boy saves a country girl from drowning, sees something in her that he never saw before, and, at the end of the story, proposes marriage. But, as we soon see, there is nothi ...more
Paperback
Published (first published August 24th 1922)

To ask other readers questions about The Horse Dealer's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Horse Dealer's Daughter

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
This is how easy it is for a man to fall in love. He is alone with a woman. Not ugly, or too old, or very young, but he had never checked her out before, had never thought of even flirting with her. But they are alone. And the woman cries and tells him she loves him. Or that likes him, and she doesn't cry but smiles. And he smells her, and feels her, and absorbs her body heat, her hair tickling his facial skin. So he says he loves her too.

The horse dealer's daughter lifted her face to the young
Christopher James
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not entirely too much happens, but I must admit that I sincerely appreciate Lawrence's writing. It may not be his finest text, but it's probably the first time I was able to take notice of what talent he has. There is, after all, a reason his writing has been canonized.
Chelsea
Nov 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this story! I love modern fiction.
Ahmed
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Same review as the white stocking. I like Lawrence so far.
Jessica Summers
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
That's one way to nab a husband
Rural Soul
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read it again after quite time but still it feels the same.
Something strange, sad or unusual.
Jennifer M. Hartsock
When Mabel is on the porch with her brothers, she continuously ignores their questions: “The girl did not answer.” “The girl did not move a muscle.” “There was no answer.” “This was received by silence.” Her silence continues as the brothers discuss their crucial situation and their future living arrangements. “But she made no answer. There was silence of futility and irritation in the room.” “The face of the young woman darkened, but she sat immutable.” “There was silence, Mabel sat on like one ...more
Alan
Oct 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
Mabel might have become, in about 25 pages of literature, one of the most annoying characters I have EVER read about...an impressive achievement.

A posh rich girl who cannot swallow her own pride and do a job that will support her family decides it will be "better to die than to do any peasant jobs." She then proceeds to attempt suicide, admittedly something I wasn't devastated about, to only be saved by the courageous doctor risking his own life for this impudent, cynical, spoiled brat of a gir
Courage
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
D. H. Lawrence has got to be an author with one of the most unique writing styles I've ever read. The other day I'd been reading up on Freud, who is hands-down the horniest psychologist in the history of psychology. But to have sensuality in the way that Lawrence portrays it, with the main female protagonist pressing her chest against "his thighs.. his knees, his legs..." is quite something. Interesting.. will be checking up on Lawrence another day.
Carolyn
Sep 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, read-for-school
A beautiful story that reads as an allegory for Christ's love for his followers. I read this for Apocrypha and Christian Scriptures: Biblical Backgrounds to English Literature. Mabel and Doctor Ferguson both embody Christ, one being the unexpected and somewhat hesitant martyr, the other the conventional healer.
Sandra
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
More than a little strange, more than a little confusing, a little more than simply weird. Perhaps I'm too stupid to understand the higher form of this but those couple of pages were struggle to get through.
Cosimo
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
Historia de una soltera que busca hacer su vida y
un joven doctor.La baja autoestima de ella y los
prejuicios sociales de él atentan contra la promesa
de boda.Buen estilo pero un poco culebrón.Pendiente
más de este autor.
Georgia Burn
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 20th-century
Structurally confusing and altogether cliche. Liked elements of it but besides that, it wasn't anything spectacular.
Ashley
Jul 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: british-read
Lawrence and romance...
Stephanie
Jun 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Obviously I am taking a Literature class. This was a story that began with complete hopelessness and ended with a glimmer of hope. Gotta love a happy ending.
Phoebebb
Oct 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
The Horse Dealer's Daughter was ok but not something I would read again. I may check out other stories by this author though.
Ashleigh
Mosharraf Hossain
rated it it was ok
May 05, 2017
Kamila
rated it did not like it
Mar 08, 2015
  • Everything but the Horse
  • The Gospel according to Mark
  • The Way We Live Now
  • Araby (Dubliners)
David Herbert Richards Lawrence was an English writer of the 20th century, whose prolific and diverse output included novels, short stories, poems, plays, essays, travel books, paintings, translations, literary criticism and personal letters. His collected works represent an extended reflection upon the dehumanizing effects of modernity and industrialisation. In them, Lawrence confronts issues rel ...more
More about D.H. Lawrence