Start by marking “The Very Hungry Caterpillar” as Want to Read:
The Very Hungry Caterpillar

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  320,156 Ratings  ·  6,199 Reviews
Hardcover
Published May 28th 1987 by Hamish Hamilton Ltd (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Very Hungry Caterpillar, please sign up.

Rebecca You can't read books on this site just rate and review them.

Chris
Dec 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually gave this book 5 stars, but the very hungry caterpillar ate one of them.

Also, did anyone else get a defective book? My version has a bunch of holes in it.
Mark Lawrence
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Former president George W. Bush named this his favorite book from childhood (it came out when he was 23 ... but perhaps he meant his kids' childhood). In any event it's one of my favorites from my childhood, and from reading to my own kids. Was it the first to put holes through its pages? Probably not, but it worked very well. Kids like sticking their fingers in things - genius!

Anyhow - this is one HUNGRY caterpillar! He puts a hole through everything be it a slice of watermelon (or wacca menon
Rebecca
Aug 04, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Mischenko
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eric Carle's books have a special place in my heart. The way he creates his illustrations makes them so colorful and appealing to all.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar is one of our favorite books by him, but we enjoy them all equally. Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?, The Grouchy Ladybug, The Very Busy Spider, The Very Quiet Cricket, and Dream Snow are just a few of our most cherished Eric Carle books.

When you witness a toddler who can't read, recite all the words to these stories, you know
James
Book Review
3+ of 5 stars to The Very Hungry Caterpillar, a children's picture book published in 1969 and written by Eric Carle. I am sure someone read this book to me as a very small child, but I know for certain that I had it on my shelf and looked through it around 10-years old. It's a delight for all ages with the cute illustrations, the physical design of the book and the quirky personality of the caterpillar.

It's a useful tool to teach young children how a caterpillar grows up, eats all
Manual
Jun 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a good read
Recommended to Manual by: Bill Bryson
Shelves: fiction
A deeply touching saga of the hardship of a young catapillar's life.
The main character has to overcome his ravenous appetite on his jouney to become a butterfly.
There were were in my eyes and laughter too as I jouneyed with the catapillar in the greatest epic ever told.
We had much to learn from the noble catapillar.
Manny
Feb 18, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I know everyone's supposed to love this book, but I just don't see what's so great about it. The character of the caterpillar is never properly developed, and he comes across as a one-dimensional parody of a larval form. The plot is dull and predictable, as is the language. I'm not thrilled by the artwork.

If it weren't for the fact that George W. Bush praised Caterpillar so highly, I'd unhesitatingly call it vacuous, uninspired rubbish. I must be missing something, but what?
Kate
Feb 23, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I believe this book is THE MAJOR CAUSE of the childhood obesity epidemic currently sweeping the nation. Still, nice illustrations.
Jean
Fun fact for today? A famous picture book, described as “one of the greatest childhood classics of all time” was actually inspired by … a simple hole punch!

Yes, incredibly, it’s true. The author remembers:

“One day I was punching holes with a hole puncher into a stack of paper, and I thought of a bookworm and so I created a story called ‘A Week with Willi the Worm.’”

But his editor suggested that readers may not like a green worm very much, and suggested a caterpillar instead. The idea appealed to
Destinee Sutton
Dec 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
SPOILER! He turns into a butterfly.
Review 3 16 Nov 29, 2017 08:37AM
The Very Hungry Caterpillar 3 9 Oct 30, 2017 07:36AM
book response 19 133 May 16, 2017 11:48PM
  • The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!
  • Yummy Yucky
  • Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • Baby Beluga
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around ...more
More about Eric Carle...
“On Saturday, he ate through one piece of chocolate cake, one ice-cream cone, one pickle, one slice of Swiss cheese, one slice of salami, one lollipop, one piece of cherry pie, one sausage, one cupcake, and one slice of watermelon

That night he had a stomach ache.”
62 likes
“He built a small house, called a cocoon, around himself. He stayed inside for more than two weeks. Then he nibbled a hole in the cocoon, pushed his way out and...

he was a beautiful butterfly!”
27 likes