Start by marking “On Becoming Baby Wise II: Parenting Your Pre-Toddler Five to Fifteen Months” as Want to Read:
On Becoming Baby Wise II: Parenting Your Pre-Toddler Five to Fifteen Months

On Becoming Baby Wise II: Parenting Your Pre-Toddler Five to Fifteen Months

Offers proven ways for parents of young toddlers to take advantage of natural learning opportunities during their toddler's feeding, wake, and sleep times. Learn methods for instilling fundamental skills too!
Published September 1st 1995 by Multnomah (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about On Becoming Baby Wise II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Becoming Baby Wise II

Start your review of On Becoming Baby Wise II: Parenting Your Pre-Toddler Five to Fifteen Months
Liz
May 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mom-helps
Ezzo has good ideas, it's his "voice" that causes me to give this book a 2/3 star review. Not even his voice really, it's his lack of understanding. One of the first lessons anyone should learn about writing (this literally is one of the first things I teach my secondary grade English students) -- you need to KNOW your audience. Ezzo fails big time on that one.

He writes to "attachment" parents . . . when he should realize NO attachment style parent will get through the first five pages of his
Christina
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all parents!
Recommended to Christina by: Marissa Seabolt, Mike Glass
Shelves: parenting
An excellent follow-up to Baby Wise that continues to reinforce the understanding that order and routine in your child's life play a critical role in their growth, development, and relationship to the world around them. A must read for PDF parents wondering what to do when their babies reach the age where discipline, mobility and advanced communication are integrated into their days.

**HIGHLIGHTS**

"When you rightly train the heart of a child, you lay down a solid foundation for the other
Jc Brigid
May 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
I was forced to read the original form of these books as a nanny. It's nothing more than the deluded belief that you can control your child's behaviour by controlling their schedule and everything else in their life. Some of the advice is to intentionally tempt your child to sin so that you can spank them to teach them a lesson. They chalk right up there with the Pearls in the crazy category.

Their views also go against everything that God instilled in us as parents. Everything you naturally do
Wendy
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
I'm really surprised that I even wanted to read this book. I read the first Baby Wise book, and initially was pretty appalled. Well, a month or so later, we ran into sleep problems and I decided that maybe Ezzo's sleep training isn't so horrendous after all. It's definitely not for everyone, and I don't think I could have stuck to a set schedule since I ran into milk supply issues and truly needed to feed on demand in order to keep my supply up.

Anyways, about this book... it was alright. It was
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Even better than Baby Wise I! Gary Ezzo echos many parenting philosophies that my mother instilled in me. Consistency, obedience, and the importance of parental authority are all themes throughout this volume in the Wise series. My only complaint/caution is this statement from Ezzo: "The job of the parent is to transform the heart from what it is to what it should be." In general, I believe Ezzo's parenting advice is consistent with scriptural principles. Children are foolish and need to be ...more
Chelsea L
This baby wise book was just "meh" compared to the first book in the series. I didn't find it nearly as helpful. It strays into generic parenting advice with the line "begin as you mean to go" repeated over and over. I personally feel that parenting is a learning experience for the parent as well, and it is constant adjustment and change. This line doesn't fit within the larger picture of what parenting is in my mind. There was a helpful area about sign language with pictures included, and I did ...more
Christina
Aug 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
I wish I would have read this 6 months ago! Simple, practical advice on how to teach a pre-toddler to have good, moral behavior. Even though my baby can't speak, I learned that he understands A LOT. This helped me set higher expectations for him, and I'm seeing now that he is rising to the expectations I have for him. No manipulation, no power struggles, no spanking. I highly recommend it. Quick read -- read it in a day -- and I'm a slow reader!
Sally Baumann
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Can't say enough about the Babywise series. I read the first Babywise book before Richard was born, and it provided the framework for me the first six months. Loved Babywise II just as much, since we are entering the phase of establishing boundaries and watching Richard explore his world, i.e. objects in our house.
Becky
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Meh, it was fine. I agreed with some concepts and disagreed with others, but of course in the end we'll see what actually works for us, etc. ;p
Tara
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
I would consider us to be a "Babywise family", having used the foundations of Babywise to guide my son into a routine, so I turned to Babywise II when we hit a 4 month sleep regression, started trying to figure out solids, etc. I did not find Babywise II half as helpful as Babywise. Not only is it a smaller book, most of the information is a repeat from Babywise, and the additional information…was not helpful or enlightening to me. The solids guidance seemed very canned, like it was produced by ...more
Tammy Bolt-Werthem
Dec 13, 2008 added it
Recommends it for: new moms and dads
I learned that babies, and children need schedule and predictability. It is important to establish this in the first year, so that when they are in the toddler stage, they are not surprised by new things, like bedtime, going to sleep without a bottle, etc. Also, it teaches about naps and feeding routines and what to encourage baby to do. I liked the book and found it both helpful and intimidating at the same time. I don't want to be a rigid mom, as i know is my nature, i want to be nurturing and ...more
Gabi
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good resource book for 5months and up! It details how to introduce solids, and some help with sleep disturbances, also helps provide advice and activities for waketimes,and really details the development of a child. A quick read with great insights. I will probably be referring back to this one a few times like I did with the first babywise book.

I read a few negative reviews but after reading the book I think some of the people who reviewed this either misinterpreted it or didn't really
Erika
Jan 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
This was a really helpful book. I am a first time mom and my son is just entering the pre-toddler stage. This book taught me how to give my son a good moral foundation and how to be a proactive parent and not a reactive one.

Topics it focuses on:
-Maintaining balance in your life and prioritizing your marriage
-Explanation of moral foundation
-Mealtime activities - introducing solids
-Highchair manners - how to correct inappropriate behaviors immediately
-Waketime activities - the need for
Rhonda
Jan 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: New Parents
Recommended to Rhonda by: Sheila
Shelves: read-2011
I loved looking at the reviews for this book. This is not a book for everyone. It is not a book you can read and have all of the answers to all of the different scenarios that could happen with your child.

As with Babywise,as you read it there is the sense that this is the only way to parent and if you don't do it this way you are in for trouble/bad/etc. You have to use your brain and use what works for you then move on. I can't believe how worked up people get about this.

I like the reminders of
Tawny
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the advice of "begin as you mean to go." It's a little stricter, more defined approach than I've used with my older kids. But I can see that setting boundaries early are a good thing. It's investing early and benefiting from the work later on.

I have used playpen time that the author suggests with Max since I now have two playpens. I love playpen time for when I'm getting the older kids breakfast and for when I'm making dinner. He rolls around in there and plays happily with his toys. I
Heather
Jun 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Take any "parenting" book with a grain of salt. That said, Baby Wise 1 helped my newborn sleep thru the night at 7 weeks with no encouragement. Baby Wise 2 takes a sensible approach to introducing solids and helping your baby learn about their nefw world. It's got plenty of common sense, and is very "middle ground" as far as parenting goes; it's neither one extreme or the other. It's considerably less condescending than the first, which is refreshing, but has added religious touches that I ...more
Kristen
Feb 08, 2009 rated it did not like it
Garbage.
The only useful chapter was on Highchair manners.
The authors tell parents to teach once, not reteach later. While this is a useful concept, and one I'd like to employ, they give almost no real life examples.
Their notion of parent directed feeding schedule is out-dated. No one currently recommends restricting a baby's feedings to just 4 times per day: 7am, 11am, 3pm, and 7pm. The idea is cruel.
Just avoid the book. It's not even worth the quick skim I gave it.
Leslie Estep
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Baby Wise II is a short read that helps parents know what to expect in their child's pre-toddler development. The book covers introducing solid food, nap time, play time, discipline, and more. Since the book is concise and to the point, it does have an opinionated tone and can easily be interpreted as being the only right way. As with any book or advice, this book should be read with an open mind and critically thought through.
Julie
Apr 09, 2008 rated it it was ok
I suck; this is the kind of crap I read these days. The authors of this series of books have some pretty conservative and rigid parenting philosophies, but we applied the approaches from the first book with fairly consistent and permanent success. I think there's a good strategy on teaching discipline here, but I skipped over the passages I don't like.
Abigail Cliff
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a new mom it's so nice to have something to help give me structure and guidance - especially since most of my friends aren't parents. However, this copy's info on allergies is not up to date.
Sue
Jan 08, 2009 rated it did not like it
This book is DANGEROUS!
Heather
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: child-rearing
I appreciated some of the advice here. "Begin as you mean to go" is helpful (at least to an extent), and the idea of thinking ahead and gently instilling table manners and the like from an early age is very appealing. There are also good points about framing your expectations to children in a positive rather than negative way (e.g. "Can you carry your milk carefully to the table?" vs. "Don't spill the milk!").

As a whole, though, it did not rise above the level of OK. It is a thin book, easily
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slightly different than Babywise II: Parenting Your Pretoddler Five to Fifteen Months (ISBN 0-88070-807-7), Babywise II: Parenting your 5 to 12 Month Old (ISBN 978-1-932740-15-8) is slightly less philosophical, or perhaps just more practical. For starters, it includes more advice on how to introduce solids. By and large, it contains the same principles as the original volume. But, I'm happy to own both. And read both for a fuller, deeper Babywise II experience.

I especially appreciated the
Melissa Colby
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short and sweet and to the point. I would have liked more detail on dealing with temper tantrums at this age, but everything they did have was a good reminder. I find it very helpful to read these parenting books every other month to refocus and remind myself of what needs to be happening at a specific age. I will definitely continue to read the Babywise series throughout the years.
Casey
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I enjoy these books and find them to provide helpful guides in terms of things to look and prepare for in our little girl and how to help with sleep, feedings, etc. My one criticism is that I think sometimes they assume that the methods work for every baby.

I did really enjoy the section on introducing sign language and appreciated the early guides.
Kari
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wasn't entirely satisfied with the amount of feeding schedule information. It left me looking up more information on the internet! However, I love the Christian approach he uses in the book and it still provides over all great advise. I would like for this book to be revised/stocked with more info!
Yalın
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
From Fields & Brown, "Baby 411":
"The first edition of On Becoming Babywise was so contrary to mainstream pediatric practice that the American Academy of Pediatrics issued a rare alert about this book...The idea of leaving a newborn to cry out and settle on his own for 15-20 minutes is anathema to most pediatricians."
Sara Cook
Great book that helped me with my older baby's sleep. However, I didn't like that they didn't talk about how to use baby led weaning with their process. They instruct on how to spoon feed, but don't even mention baby led weaning. I also don't agree completely with all their processes
Beverly
Helped me have some insight on how to conquer naps and nighttime sleep, but nothing earth shattering. Most things I already know and understand. Just a reminder that a consistent routine is one of the best things.
Lance McNeill
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful for first time parent

As a first time dad, I found this book very helpful. Four stars only because it is written for such a general parenting audience that quite a bit is not relevant. Still 80% at least was useful
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• On Becoming Babywise: Giving Your Infant the Gift of Nighttime Sleep
  • On Becoming Babywise: Giving Your Infant the Gift of Nighttime Sleep - Interactive Support
  • The Wonder Weeks. How to Stimulate Your Baby's Mental Development and Help Him Turn His 10 Predictable, Great, Fussy Phases Into Magical Leaps Forward
  • Shepherding a Child's Heart
  • Twelve Hours' Sleep by Twelve Weeks Old: A Step-By-Step Plan for Baby Sleep Success
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to Your Baby's First Year: From Doctors Who Are Parents, Too!
  • Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
  • Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child
  • The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer
  • Secrets of the Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect, and Communicate with Your Baby
  • Hands Free Mama: A Guide to Putting Down the Phone, Burning the To-Do List, and Letting Go of Perfection to Grasp What Really Matters!
  • What to Expect the First Year (What to Expect)
  • Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems
  • What to Feed Your Baby: A Pediatrician's Guide to the 11 Essential Foods to Guarantee Veggie-Loving, No-Fuss, Healthy-Eating Kids
  • Bringing Up Bébé: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting
  • The Knowing (The Forgetting, #2)
  • Parenting With Love and Logic
  • Addicted to Mediocrity: Contemporary Christians and the Arts
“While the difference here might appear minor, over the life of your child, negative and positive words have a cumulative effect, because such words shape a child’s outlook about self, others, and about life. Learn to speak life to your pretoddler by instructing in what you want him to do instead of what you do not want him to do.” 0 likes
“Society depends on parents to instill in their children a healthy sense of self-restriction, and that is not as hard as some people make it out to be.” 0 likes