Start by marking “Sweet Tooth, Volume 1: Out of the Deep Woods” as Want to Read:
Sweet Tooth, Volume 1: Out of the Deep Woods

Sweet Tooth, Volume 1: Out of the Deep Woods

(Sweet Tooth #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  15,155 ratings  ·  1,005 reviews
Jeff Lemire's acclaimed new series introduce Gus, a rare new breed of human/animal hybrid who was raised in isolation following a pandemic that struck a decade earlier. Now, with the death of his father, he's left to fend for himself . . . until he meets a hulking drifter named Jepperd, who promises to help him. Jepperd and Gus set out on a post-apocalyptic journey into th ...more
Published May 18th 2010 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Tooth, Volume 1, please sign up.
Colin Bell Some pretty heavy themes in this series. Some of the passages are pretty emotionally devastating, and the whole premise is pretty grim. The series isn…moreSome pretty heavy themes in this series. Some of the passages are pretty emotionally devastating, and the whole premise is pretty grim. The series isn't filled with violence and death, but it handles these things in such a way that it feels traumatic when it does happen. (less)

·  15,155 ratings  ·  1,005 reviews

Start your review of Sweet Tooth, Volume 1: Out of the Deep Woods
Patrick
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This comic was sitting on my desk, and my seven-year-old saw it sitting there.

"Dad. That's a weird-looking comic," he said.

And it was only then I realized how right he was. The cover does look weird, and, quite frankly, like nothing I'd pick up out of curiosity in the comic shop. If I hadn't known the author and liked his work, I never would have picked it up.

Luckily, I'm a fan of Jeff Lemire's work. So I didn't let the cover scare me off.

Don't let it scare you off, either. It's good stuff.

(You'
Anne
May 01, 2021 rated it liked it
Recommended to Anne by: Chad
To be honest, I saw the flannel shirt on the front, thought it was another of Lemire's slice of life stories, and ran away. And I remember looking it up and seeing these black and white drawings, which just kind of solidified the idea that it was another Essex County.

description

Also, I really don't like Lemire as an artist. I've yet to see anything remotely pleasing to the eye that he's drawn. Sweet Tooth is no exception.
But it's not bad enough to make me want to stop reading the story, so there's that.

Alr
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This was too damn sad! Loved the damn artwork though. Probably read the next damn book.

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
5.0 Stars
This is an incredibly engrossing post apocalyptic graphic novel. The character development is fantastic. Within a short number of pages, I became so emotionally invested in Gus. I only wish I had started reading this series sooner. Now I am dying to get my hands on volume two!
Donovan

"Nebraska...the good life."

Damn. Why did I wait so long to read this? Drop all your shitty books and read this right now.

I'll give you the very short version. This is a post-apocalyptic Southern gothic. Sparse storytelling like Robert Kirkman's Outcast. Down to earth tragic characters. Yet somehow tender in their compassion. And in Gus aka Sweet Tooth's case, his innocence. Mr. Jepperd is a great fatherly yet mysterious figure whom I want to know more about. And sweet jesus, Gus is one naive b
Whitney Atkinson
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

There was nothing explicitly wrong with this, it just reads very much like an intro to the world and a set-up for later graphic novels. Nothing really massive happened; it reads kind of like a prequel. I should pick up volume 2 while it's fresh in my mind, but knowing me, that probably won't happen lol.

I think something significant about this book is that it's written in a southern dialect and I'm typically someone who hates that, but I didn't mind it in this book. So kudos. Not my favo
Trina (Between Chapters)
Hmm. I'm not sure what I think yet but I have the second volume ready to go because I know from experience that comic volumes are just too little story for me to get invested with only the first one.

I don't really enjoy the art style, although it's very fitting for this story/world.

I wish I knew more about anything. This volume contained 5 individual comic issues that make up one full story arc, but it didn't feel like a complete arc to me. More world building could have been done. As of right n
Nat
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A decade ago the Affliction raged like a forest fire, killing billions, and the only children born since are a new breed of humun/ animal hybrid. Gus is one of these endangered children, a boy with a sweet soul, a sweeter tooth—and the features of a deer.

description

But kids like Gus have a price on their heads. When vicious hunters descend on his isolated forest home, a mysterious and violent man called Jepperd rescues Gus.

I liked Jepperd when he showed up, he kind of reminded me of Mike Ehrmantraut
Connor
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Post-apocalyptic mutant animal-hybrid children being hunted down? I'm in. ...more
Sam Quixote
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Gus or "Sweet Tooth", as he's nicknamed, is a young boy who lives in the woods with his father. Some sort of freak accident has mutated Sweet Tooth so that he has antlers on his head. When his father dies, he ventures out of the woods where he is ambushed by hunters and is saved by a mysterious, extremely tough man called Jepperd. With no choice but to follow his guardian, Sweet Tooth embarks on a journey out of the deep woods and into the wide world with Jepperd. But who is this man and why is ...more
Lindsey Rey
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2015
[4.5 Stars]
Dave Schaafsma
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Post-apocalyptic fiction, a comics series, volume 1, bearing some resemblance to Cormac McCarthy's The Road, in that it is in a dark future time where resources are thin and people have become more violent in competing for those resources. So it's grim in places. And features a generation of children who, like the boy nicknamed Sweet Tooth, is born with hybrid human/animal features, for not yet clear reasons. Times seem desperate, frightening.

But Sweet Tooth is also, like other Lemire stories, a
Crystal Starr Light
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Bullet Review:

That was a pleasant surprise. Weird, but interesting and gritty too. I have no clue how it's possible for these half-human, half-animal kids to exist, but hopefully it's explained in later books.
Malum
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A post apocalyptic mutant western. Weird in all of the best ways with a rough art style that fits its gritty and violent tone perfectly.
Jessica
May 13, 2021 rated it liked it
I just saw the trailer for the upcoming Netflix series, which looks great, and they said, "Based on the beloved comics series!" And since I had never heard of the "beloved comics" I thought I would give it a try.

The story is good, but it's not unlike a lot of post apocalyptic stories, the difference being that there are animal human hybrids, and that Sweet Tooth may have been the first of them. What's keeping me from being excited to read more volumes is that I find the art to be aggressively ug
Himanshu Karmacharya
May 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
There are tons of post apocalyptic stories in the market now, many follow a zombie outbreak or nuclear war, but Sweet Tooth here has something different. People are dying because of an incurable disease and it is somehow linked to the birth of half-animal, half-human babies.

Sweet tooth has an exceptionally unique premise, decent characterisation and build up of forecoming events. The art isn't great, but somehow fits with the setting of the story.

3.5/5 stars
Paz R.M.
Re-read! 06.18.19
What the heck, I was under the impression that the first volume was the weakest (I read up until volume 5 in 2016 and never finished the story because I wasn't ready to say goodbye), but with this re-read I have to change my original rating. Up to 4 stars now. It was so good!
Maybe it was because I was happy to be back with Gus and Jepperd. Well, happy-sad because this story has always affected me. And I might have picked this one up because I'm feeling a bit melancholic as well
Ashley DiNorcia
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Post apocalyptic world with animal hybrid kids who are immune to the plague being hunted and experimented on? Ok. I'm in. ...more
Licha
Gus is a 9yr old hybrid--half deer, half human. The world has been wiped out by a plague, with few survivors left. Gus lives in the woods with his father and has never seen another human being. His dad is dying and has warned Gus to never leave the safety of the woods or he will encounter fire and evil.

The father dies and for the first time, Gus sees men. The only problem is they are hunting for hybrids just like him. In steps Jepperd and saves Gus' life from these two men. Gus doesn't know who
Kayla Charisse
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I need the next volume NOW, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.
Giota
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
A great character driven story that drew me in and kept my attention.
L. McCoy
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Lemire and post apocalyptic wastelands!
First I wanted to let people like me know that fortunately this is not some anti-hunting, anti-meat, PETA s***. I was slightly concerned that this would be some crap along the same lines as Okja or The Magic Finger but written by Lemire so slightly more tolerable but fortunately it’s Lemire and not that other bulls*** so... yay! Okay, on to the review.

What’s it about?
It’s a kinda post apocalyptic wasteland world where kids 7 or under are half-human, half-animal hybrids for some reason and people
Maria
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing

I had absolutely no knowledge of what Sweet Tooth was all about before I picked it up. I must say, this was probably the most unexpected surprise out of all of the comics that I binged. It was such an awesome introduction to what seems like will be an amazing series. This volume spent most of the story introducing characters and setting up the plot for the series. The ending was a bit of a shock for me…so of course I have already ordered volume 2.

Initial post reading thoughts:

I didn't really kno
Liz Janet
Oct 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
Nah, go back to the Woods.
Mari
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it

[July 1, 2018] Marking for re-read for Snark Squad. If my BFF is reading this, TOTES GONNA MAIL IT SOON. I LOVE YOU.

Here is my full series review for volumes 1-6.

I really enjoyed this. I like graphic novels a lot, but honestly, something about their length always leaves me wanting, especially with first volumes that are mostly all set-up. This, however, gripped me right away. I finished and I knew I wanted to pick up the next volume. I was invested in the characters and the world and I cared abo
Raina
Nov 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
I think this is my favorite of the several Jeff Lemires I've read.

Post-apocalyptic world where most of the population has died of an illness and there are mutant children with animal features.

It's in color, which is great. There are ambiguous relationships, you don't know who to trust. And you don't know where this world is gonna go. Made me want to know what would happen next, which is important, I think. ;) Still a little dark for me, and I'm not sure I'll read the next one, but there are st
Cath
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
This was sooooo good! Ahhh I need the next volume now!
G.
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Aww. Apocalyptic Bambi—I'm hooked. ...more
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
You can tell that writer Jeff Lemire takes certain themes to heart in almost all of his comic book series. He once again explores the intimate relationship between an older male authority over an innocent and naive child in this heart-wrenching post-apocalyptic tale where trust, justice, and betrayal are at the heart of the narrative.

The artwork requires some getting used to, but by the time you reach the cliffhanger ending, you don't have much of a choice but to let your curiosity be piqued by

• Chew, Vol. 1: Taster's Choice
  • Invincible, Vol. 1: Family Matters
  • Invincible, Vol. 3: Perfect Strangers
  • Reckless
  • Kill or be Killed, Vol. 1
Jeff Lemire is a New York Times bestselling and award winning author, and creator of the acclaimed graphic novels Sweet Tooth, Essex County, The Underwater Welder, Trillium, Plutona, Black Hammer, Descender, Royal City, and Gideon Falls. His upcoming projects include a host of series and original graphic novels, including the fantasy series Ascender with Dustin Nguyen.

Sweet Tooth (6 books)