Start by marking “Sweet Tooth, Volume 1: Out of the Deep Woods” as Want to Read:
Sweet Tooth, Volume 1: Out of the Deep Woods

Sweet Tooth, Volume 1: Out of the Deep Woods

(Sweet Tooth #1)

Jeff Lemire's acclaimed new series introduce Gus, a rare new breed of human/animal hybrid who was raised in isolation following a pandemic that struck a decade earlier. Now, with the death of his father, he's left to fend for himself . . . until he meets a hulking drifter named Jepperd, who promises to help him. Jepperd and Gus set out on a post-apocalyptic journey into th ...more
Paperback, Trade, 128 pages
Published May 18th 2010 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Tooth, Volume 1, please sign up.
Colin Bell Some pretty heavy themes in this series. Some of the passages are pretty emotionally devastating, and the whole premise is pretty grim. The series…moreSome pretty heavy themes in this series. Some of the passages are pretty emotionally devastating, and the whole premise is pretty grim. The series isn't filled with violence and death, but it handles these things in such a way that it feels traumatic when it does happen. (less)

Patrick
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This comic was sitting on my desk, and my seven-year-old saw it sitting there.

"Dad. That's a weird-looking comic," he said.

And it was only then I realized how right he was. The cover does look weird, and, quite frankly, like nothing I'd pick up out of curiosity in the comic shop. If I hadn't known the author and liked his work, I never would have picked it up.

Luckily, I'm a fan of Jeff Lemire's work. So I didn't let the cover scare me off.

Don't let it scare you off, either. It's good stuff.

(You'
Nat
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A decade ago the Affliction raged like a forest fire, killing billions, and the only children born since are a new breed of humun/ animal hybrid. Gus is one of these endangered children, a boy with a sweet soul, a sweeter tooth—and the features of a deer.

description

But kids like Gus have a price on their heads. When vicious hunters descend on his isolated forest home, a mysterious and violent man called Jepperd rescues Gus.

I liked Jepperd when he showed up, he kind of reminded me of Mike Ehrmantraut fro
AMEERA
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it
3.75
Raeleen Lemay
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicomanga
I'm not sure if I agree with this being compared to Mad Max, but I really enjoyed it! I wish it was longer though, I feel like I didn't experience that much during this volume. I'm excited for the next one!
Whitney Atkinson
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

There was nothing explicitly wrong with this, it just reads very much like an intro to the world and a set-up for later graphic novels. Nothing really massive happened; it reads kind of like a prequel. I should pick up volume 2 while it's fresh in my mind, but knowing me, that probably won't happen lol.

I think something significant about this book is that it's written in a southern dialect and I'm typically someone who hates that, but I didn't mind it in this book. So kudos. Not my favo
Donovan

"Nebraska...the good life."

Damn. Why did I wait so long to read this? Drop all your shitty books and read this right now.

I'll give you the very short version. This is a post-apocalyptic Southern gothic. Sparse storytelling like Robert Kirkman's Outcast. Down to earth tragic characters. Yet somehow tender in their compassion. And in Gus aka Sweet Tooth's case, his innocence. Mr. Jepperd is a great fatherly yet mysterious figure whom I want to know more about. And sweet jesus, Gus is one naive b
Trina (Between Chapters)
Hmm. I'm not sure what I think yet but I have the second volume ready to go because I know from experience that comic volumes are just too little story for me to get invested with only the first one.

I don't really enjoy the art style, although it's very fitting for this story/world.

I wish I knew more about anything. This volume contained 5 individual comic issues that make up one full story arc, but it didn't feel like a complete arc to me. More world building could have been done. As of right n
Connor
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Post-apocalyptic mutant animal-hybrid children being hunted down? I'm in.
Lindsey Rey
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, graphic-novels
[4.5 Stars]
Sam Quixote
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Gus or "Sweet Tooth", as he's nicknamed, is a young boy who lives in the woods with his father. Some sort of freak accident has mutated Sweet Tooth so that he has antlers on his head. When his father dies, he ventures out of the woods where he is ambushed by hunters and is saved by a mysterious, extremely tough man called Jepperd. With no choice but to follow his guardian, Sweet Tooth embarks on a journey out of the deep woods and into the wide world with Jepperd. But who is this man and why is ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Bullet Review:

That was a pleasant surprise. Weird, but interesting and gritty too. I have no clue how it's possible for these half-human, half-animal kids to exist, but hopefully it's explained in later books.
Malum
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A post apocalyptic mutant western. Weird in all of the best ways with a rough art style that fits its gritty and violent tone perfectly.
Ashley Brooks
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Post apocalyptic world with animal hybrid kids who are immune to the plague being hunted and experimented on? Ok. I'm in.
Sema
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, comics
Hekayəsi fərqlidi, sadəcə çizimlərini pek sevemedim.
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

I had absolutely no knowledge of what Sweet Tooth was all about before I picked it up. I must say, this was probably the most unexpected surprise out of all of the comics that I binged. It was such an awesome introduction to what seems like will be an amazing series. This volume spent most of the story introducing characters and setting up the plot for the series. The ending was a bit of a shock for me…so of course I have already ordered volume 2.

Initial post reading thoughts:

I didn't really kno
Liz Janet
Oct 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
Nah, go back to the Woods.
Licha
Gus is a 9yr old hybrid--half deer, half human. The world has been wiped out by a plague, with few survivors left. Gus lives in the woods with his father and has never seen another human being. His dad is dying and has warned Gus to never leave the safety of the woods or he will encounter fire and evil.

The father dies and for the first time, Gus sees men. The only problem is they are hunting for hybrids just like him. In steps Jepperd and saves Gus' life from these two men. Gus doesn't know who
Julie Zantopoulos
What an intense graphic novel. Wow with the feels. Gus is such a lovable character and the plot was really good. I wasn't the hugest fan of the art style (a bit too dark and gory for me) but I loved the story enough to go with it. I definitely want to continue with this series.
Giota
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
A great character driven story that drew me in and kept my attention.
David Schaafsma
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Post-apocalyptic fiction, a comics series, volume 1, bearing some resemblance to Cormac McCarthy's The Road, in that it is in a dark future time where resources are thin and people have become more violent in competing for those resources. So it's grim in places. And features a generation of children who, like the boy nicknamed Sweet Tooth, is born with hybrid human/animal features, for not yet clear reasons. Times seem desperate, frightening.

But Sweet Tooth is also, like other Lemire stories, a
Ylenia
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Ylenia by: Lindsey Rey
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I didn't find the plot interesting until the very end, when there's a cliffhanger. Until that, I was bored.
I didn't care for any of the characters since I wasn't captivated enough to really give a shit about them.

The setting seemed pretty promising and original but it wasn't that good in the end, I wished more things were explained about this new version of the world.

The art and this first volume in general left me unsatisfied.
Kayla (BOOKadoodles)
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I need the next volume NOW, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.
L. McCoy
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Lemire and post apocalyptic wastelands!
First I wanted to let people like me know that fortunately this is not some anti-hunting, anti-meat, PETA s***. I was slightly concerned that this would be some crap along the same lines as Okja or The Magic Finger but written by Lemire so slightly more tolerable but fortunately it’s Lemire and not that other bulls*** so... yay! Okay, on to the review.

What’s it about?
It’s a kinda post apocalyptic wasteland world where kids 7 or under are half-human, half-animal hybrids for some reason and people
Vitor Martins
Adorei essa história! Estou muito muito curioso pra ler os próximos volumes e saber o que vai acontecer daqui pra frente!
Paz R.M.
3 Stars
In a post-apocalyptic world, where almost a decade ago an unknown plague killed most of humanity, Gus has lived all his life with his father on the woods. He's reclusive, afraid. You see, Gus is 9 years old and very special. Like most kids born after the plague hit, he was born different. He's a human-animal hybrid kid, he has a human body, but with antlers in his head. And although his father loves him very much, he tells him stories of people outside of the woods, of evil men and of ho
Mari
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2016, 2018

[July 1, 2018] Marking for re-read for Snark Squad. If my BFF is reading this, TOTES GONNA MAIL IT SOON. I LOVE YOU.

Here is my full series review for volumes 1-6.

I really enjoyed this. I like graphic novels a lot, but honestly, something about their length always leaves me wanting, especially with first volumes that are mostly all set-up. This, however, gripped me right away. I finished and I knew I wanted to pick up the next volume. I was invested in the characters and the world and I cared abo
Raina
Nov 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
I think this is my favorite of the several Jeff Lemires I've read.

Post-apocalyptic world where most of the population has died of an illness and there are mutant children with animal features.

It's in color, which is great. There are ambiguous relationships, you don't know who to trust. And you don't know where this world is gonna go. Made me want to know what would happen next, which is important, I think. ;) Still a little dark for me, and I'm not sure I'll read the next one, but there are st
Jenny (adultishbooks)
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really liked this. I felt like they were setting up the story and it is just getting started but I'm interested to continue on. I feel really sympathetic towards Gus.
Giedre
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4-and-5-stars
Aww. Apocalyptic Bambi—I'm hooked.
Tasha
Oct 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I'm not a big fan of the art style but the premise is so interesting and I enjoyed this first volume so I'll definitely be continuing this series.
  • MIND MGMT, Volume One: The Manager
  • DMZ, Vol. 4: Friendly Fire
  • Chew, Vol. 5: Major League
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 2: Inside Man
  • Scalped, Vol. 6: The Gnawing (Scalped, #6)
  • The Exterminators, Vol. 1: Bug Brothers
  • I Kill Giants
  • The Amazing Screw-on Head and Other Curious Objects
Jeff Lemire is an award-winning Canadian cartoonist, and the author of the Essex County Trilogy, Sweet Tooth and The Nobody. Lemire is known for a his moody, humanistic stories and sketchy, cinematic, black-and-white art.

Sweet Tooth (6 books)
  • Sweet Tooth, Volume 2: In Captivity
  • Sweet Tooth, Volume 3: Animal Armies
  • Sweet Tooth, Volume 4: Endangered Species
  • Sweet Tooth, Volume 5: Unnatural Habitats
  • Sweet Tooth, Volume 6: Wild Game
“Sometimes at night, when I wake up real late, I can hear my dad talking to God. He whispers, but I still hear him.
I even hear him crying sometimes, when God says something sad.”
13 likes
“There was five golden rules. My dad made me write them over and over until I knew them like I knew my own name...

Number five: never have a fire in the daytime, 'cause people could see the smoke and come and get us.

Number four: if I ever see anyone other than my dad, I run, and keep running.

Number three: always say my prayers, so as God don't get mad at me and decide to come make me sick too.

Numer two: never forget to pray for my momma, 'cause she was the best and prettiest lady God ever made.

Number one: never, ever leave the woods.”
3 likes