Start by marking “Mentally Incontinent: That Time I Burned Down a Hooters, That Time My Stalker Crashed on My Couch, and Nine Other Stories from My Weird Life” as Want to Read:

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  220 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Cyberspace?s answer to David Sedaris: raucous recollections from a man with a serious blabber-control problem

Joe Peacock is one of those rare people to whom interesting things just sorta happen. For the amusement of his friends, he?d often recount in long e-mails his latest misadventure, whether it was witnessing an armed robbery or being vomited on during his first sexu
Published November 3rd 2009 by Avery (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Mentally Incontinent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mentally Incontinent

Tiffany
Jan 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
Joe Peacock (p.s. worst name ever) probably surrounded himself with people that said "Joe! Dude, you need to write about book about all the weird things that have happened to you!" not considering that there are other people in the world -- ok, in this country, even, that most definitely have had weirder things happen to them. In fact, I guarantee ever single reader of Mentally Incontinent has said aloud, "If this guy thinks he's got problems, then he should look at my life, because..."

He talks
Savanah Lowder
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was just kind of alright. I chuckled aloud once or twice. I wouldn't say reading it was a waste of time, but I can also say that I barely remember any of the stories and I just read it within the last year.
Rachel
Dec 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Fun and easy read. Truly, it would make a perfect bathroom reader. I mean . . . not like I know from experience or anything.
Kosta Pribić
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The title gives quite a good hint on the tone and the author has just the right amount of self deprecating humor do make it work.
Harris
I was surfing my favorite internet waste of time, StumbleUpon, the other day when a rather old school website popped up, circa 2005 or something. I was going to skip right through it when the name of the article caught my eye; The Wal-Mart Story, an account of minimum wage vengeance and Black Friday mayhem. It turned out to be a nostalgic and hilarious account of late ‘90s suburban life written by a man named Joe Peacock, who apparently has since become pretty big online and even has his own boo ...more
Jenni V.
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 stars rounded down.

I didn't know anything about Joe or the website when I saw this at the library, but I enjoy short stories and that was enough for this random reader to give it a try. He's an engaging, interesting writer. Most of the stories were about stupid things he's done, and I liked them in the "wow, I'm glad I don't have to deal with him in real life" kind of way. But the last story ("The Walmart Story") made me cringe - it involved humiliatio
Driftless
Jan 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
He's not the kind of guy I expect to be a writer. He barely finished a year of college, screwed around through most of high school and spends most of his time playing video games and getting tattoos. But about ten years ago Joe Peacock started writing on the internet and developed quite a following on his website, mentallyincontinent.com. This success eventually landed him a real book deal with a real publisher and Mentally Incontinent, the book, was born. Defying the odds, Joe Peacock is offici ...more
Joellen
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Where to start. I like a good laugh, who doesn't? i started into this read with that in mind, something silly, a bit off the wall, and enjoyable. It's a light read, only 160 pages, and it has taken me weeks to slog through 100 pages. I literally put this book down for a month and didn't pick it up. But I can't start a book until I finish the one I'm on. So i made myself finish, by skimming, the last 60 pages. I just couldn't. The humor, after a while, was just repeated. It's all the same type of ...more
Jonathan Burt
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Joe is supposed to be funny. Joe was my next door neighbor when he was a kid. Now that he is rich and famous, he won't give me money - how funny is that?

Really, this collection of stories, voted the -best of- by his devoted blog readers is a great read and I would have rated it the same regardless. A lot of strange stuff happens to some people, and Joe is one of those people!
Dec 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Someone not expecting hilarious
This one was a disappointment, only because it was supposed to be funny. The stories were well-written and touching, but not really funny. The title, and subtitle, (and way off introduction) hype you up to read the craziest stories ever. Not even close.
I have experienced WAY crazier things than this guy, and comparatively, feel like I could write "funny" in my sleep.
Quick and easy, though.
Sarah Phoenix
Nov 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-away
Contrary to the press blurb, this man is no David Sedaris. In face, a local writer I adore and envy (yes, Christa, this is you) can write this man under the train with one hand tied behind her back. The potential for entertainment can be seen but is elusively just out of reach. Okay, Christa, if this doesn't prove that I'm right about your book potential nothing else ever will!
Shannon
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely hilarious. I couldn't put it down. I was going to try and make it last me at least a couple days and I ended up finishing it in a day. The author, Joe Peacock, is a comedic genius! I cant wait to read other things he has written!
Heidi
Jul 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Wasn't as funny as I thought it was going to be, but a very cute book about the mishaps that teenage and young adult boys can get into. Including, stalker girlfriends, setting Hooter's on fire, and other such adventures. Quick light read.
Marcos Carvalho
Sep 25, 2012 rated it did not like it
Don't pick up this book unless you're under the age of 25. And 25 is pushing it.

After about 60 pages I put it down. I got tired of feeling like I was hanging out with teenagers and hearing their pointless stories.
Anna
Feb 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
I think it's safe to say that no book could possible live up to that delightful title, but this one comes pretty darn close. It was also absolutely what I needed at the end of a particularly dreadful day. Why, I dare say I even chuckled...Like snark? Then this one's for you!
Paul Werner
Sep 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very funny stories. short stories good to read for fun
Amanda
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Freaking hilarious! Reminded me of "I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell" type of stories. Made me literally laugh out loud, while Travis sat by watching me like I'm crazy..
Pamela
Jan 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Light humorous memoir of countless horrible things happening to one guy. Good mindless read. The author has a good flow to his writing. Would have given 3.5, but it won't let me. :)
Juli
Oct 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Lighthearted and entertaining, great reading for travel.
Rob Rausch
Apr 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Really not very obnoxious or scandalous as all. A poor man's Tucker Max.
Joey
May 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Joe Peacock's life is not as bizarre as the book makes it out to be, neither is it any compelling to read.
Kris Simonian
Sep 17, 2010 rated it did not like it
Ugh.
Will
Aug 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Short read that is fun. Not great writing, but made me laugh through-out
Donna
Sep 10, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5
Alma Karamešić-kelley
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very fun read. Joe is hilarious!
Andrew
Jun 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Some parts of this book were funny, but most of it was the juvenile memoir of a teenage slacker/hacker.
beentsy
Jan 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010-done
I really wanted this to be funnier, but it just didn't tickle my funny bone much at all. Oh well, maybe it's just me.
Sep 07, 2011
  • Route 666: On the Road to Nirvana
  • Big Brain: The Origins and Future of Human Intelligence
  • Tales from the Crypt #8: Diary of a Stinky Dead Kid
  • Follow the Model: Miss J's Guide to Unleashing Presence, Poise, and Power
  • Morbid Curiosity Cures the Blues: True Stories of the Unsavory, Unwise, Unorthodox and Unusual from the magazine "Morbid Curiosity"
  • Robin Ince's Bad Book Club: One Man's Quest to Uncover the Books that Time Forgot
  • Babes in Toyland: The Making and Selling of a Rock and Roll Band
  • The World of Tibetan Buddhism: An Overview of Its Philosophy and Practice
  • Whose Panties Are These?: More Misadventures from Funny Women on the Road
  • It's Not News, It's Fark: How Mass Media Tries to Pass Off Crap As News
  • Evita: The Real Life of Eva Peron
  • I'm Kind of a Big Deal: And Other Delusions of Adequacy
  • Never Fade Away: The Kurt Cobain Story
  • The Great and Only Barnum: The Tremendous, Stupendous Life of Showman P. T. Barnum
  • The Gospel According to the Simpsons