Start by marking “I Am Ozzy” as Want to Read:

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  22,865 ratings  ·  1,261 reviews
Hardcover, First U.S. Edition, 391 pages
Published January 1st 2010 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about I Am Ozzy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Ozzy

·  22,865 ratings  ·  1,261 reviews

Start your review of I Am Ozzy
Buggy
Opening Line: "My father always said I would do something big one day."

I grew up in the 80’s so the Ozzy that I knew wasn’t the comical, stuttering MTV family man of today but the Prince of darkness. Black Sabbath’s scary, out of control singer who bit the head off of bats and doves and worshiped the devil. (Or so the rumours said) My brother used to play his records (yes I’m that old) during his rocker/bad boy phase (he’s now with the RCMP) and I remember being forced to listen to Ozzy Osbourne
Fran
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are many things to like about this book. However, if you don’t like Ozzy, you won’t find them, at all. This book reads as though you were listening to him in person. His British accent permeates the pages that are full of pisses, fucks and bollocks, a testament to Chris Ayres—helping-hand author of this book—ability to edit himself out of the writing. In many respects this is a very honest book, that more than once leaves you wondering how is Ozzy still alive (old school rockers do seem to ...more
Ellen Gail
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ellen Gail by: the bestie
I think they had this idea in their heads that when I wasn’t being arrested for public intoxication, I went to a cave and hung upside down, drinking snakes’ blood. But I’m like Coco the Clown, me: at the end of the day, I come home, take off my greasepaint and my big red nose, and become Dad.

I'll admit to not being an Ozzy fan. I can normally be found listening to indie pop. I don't dislike him, but his music just does nothing for me. It doesn't make me swoon.

But my offline BFF begged me to
Artiom Karsiuk
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
How this man is still alive is beyond me. There are people who [to quote the Hulkster] say their prayers and eat their vitamins, yet they choke on a peanut or cross the street on a red light and it's curtains for them. Curtains, I say! But this guy did just about every drug there is and now enjoys a decently healthy life while being a grandfather.
I love rock music, but I can't say that I'm this hardcore fan of Black Sabbath or Ozzy - I do love some of his songs (the well known tunes, to be hone
Lee
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wow, I am reading the most entertaining biography out there. This one I simply can't stop laughing - I am about half way through this book and can tell you that it is now my most favorite book. Since this is a library copy that I am reading I plan to still buy the book. I love Ozzy and his book so much. Even if you are not a Black Sabbath fan, I am sure you will enjoy this book. I recommend this book for reading to lighten their day and for a thoroughly relaxing little getaway from the stresses ...more
Erika
Every time I watched the cover of this book I couldn’t get out of my head this song by Ozzy Osbourne "Over The Mountain". Just this part:

”Don’t need no astrology
It’s inside of you and me
You don’t need a ticket to fly with me
I’m free yeah”

Playing over and over again.

And you know what, it's true!

It's free! (Well... At least it was when I downloaded it.)

This probably is the funniest autobiography out there. I literally burst out laughing several times. Once I was at work, reading and couldn’t s
Cody
Mar 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
The writing is truly atrocious. It reads like Ozzy dictated his life story into a tape recorder, handed it to the ghost writer, and said "Transcribe this word for word." Since Ozzy left school at 15, you can probably guess how that went.

But you don't read this book for the prose; you read it for the stories. And oh, the stories. The famous dove, bat, and Alamo tales are there, as are more behind the scenes accounts of band in-fighting and tragedy. Ozzy doesn't hold back on any of his crazy esca
Azadeh
Jul 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
So far Ozzy and his ghost writer are hilarious and keep me in stitches!
Joanie
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
I read this book when it first came out in 2010. I believe the allure was more not KNOWING who the heck he was, than knowing and wanting to learn more about his life.

I’m only writing this now, because I was annoyed at a few reviews of another author I like, David Sedaris. The only thing Ozzy has in common with Sedaris is his ability to shock AND make me LAUGH OUT LOUD. In some people’s view, it’s not truly literature nor worthy of their precious time. The comparison of the two ends there.

Jerry
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
As a long time fan of Ozzy, I was excited to find he had written an autobiography. Even if I've stopped following his recent activity, his music has been a constant in my life for at least thirty years. So I decided to read this book. I'd already heard so many of the stories, and remembered a lot of them from the news. So I didn't expect too much.

I was wrong. This book is phenomenal. It is everything an autobiography should be. Ozzy starts from childhood and goes straight up to the writing of hi
Victoria
Jan 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Having grown up in the 80's and being a HUGE fan of Duran Duran and the likes, I admit that Ozzy Osbourne scared the bejeezus out of me. His music scared me...his pictures scared me...don't even get me started on his videos!

It wasn't until MTV started with "The Osbournes" that I saw a completely different side of him...and I actually loved him (and his nutty family!). I was so excited to read that he had a book coming out that I snatched it up as soon as I found it...

I must say, it is written as
Spider the Doof Warrior
Ozzy Osbourne is interesting for some reason.
His book was fascinating. The main think you think as you read it is, how did this man SURVIVE all of this?
He did just about every drug in existence, drank tons of alcohol and got into so many dangerous situations and here he is alive to tell about it.
I must say, I think I'd rather hang with the Osbournes than the Duggars for some reason. They seem like fun and they'd have raucous metal and as mild as I am, despite the fact that I seldom cuss in publi
Hadessephy
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs, 2016
A fun memoir, pretty much what you would expect from the prince of darkness. Many of his stories are laugh out loud funny and I loved seeing references to Fleetwood Mac! Who would have thought that Black Sabbaths original goal would be to mimick Fleetwood Mac. Granted it was the bluesie Peter Green Mac, not the Mac of today but the thought of Black Sabbath as a blues band also blew my mind. It's amazing the different directions that these bands have taken and what they are now famous for.

Maybe
Julie
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: music, finished-2012
After reading memoirs from members of Van Halen, KISS and Motley Crue that all had "Ozzy is fucking crazy, man" stories I simply had to read this memoir. I'd seen episodes of The Osbournes about a dozen years ago when it aired and at the time wondered if Ozzy was brain damaged or just really high or perhaps both. Turns out the answer is both.

This book is about the 10th memoir I've read of a British musician born around the end of WW2. It is interesting how similar all their stories are at the be
Chuck Slack
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ozzy should be, and is, a musical legend. He was part of a very influential music genre changing group (Black Sabbath) and was a huge part of the hair medal of the 80s yet this book focused very little on his music but most on his numerous addictions. It does seem unfair somehow that his health appears fine with all that he’s done to himself. This book leads me to think the music wasn’t as big a thing with Ozzy as much as the notoriety was.

Ozzy is a blessed individual. He surrounded himself wit
Michael Silver
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am ozzy is a book about the life of the famous singer John Michael (Ozzy) Osbourne. Reading through his autobiography i began to understand the influence of his life on his music. his musical career from the beginning changed music forever. The band black sabbath wich consisted of Ozzy Osbourne, Toni Iomi, Geezer Butler, and Bill ward created some would say a whole new genre of music wich at the time was just called heavy metal. in this book the reader will learn about who Ozzy is, what he has ...more
Rick Carroll
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Rick by: Darlene Ryan
I want to share one passage from this book:

They just wouldn't fuck off, those Satanists. I'd walk out of my hotel in the morning, and they'd be right outside my door, sitting in a circle on the carpet, all dressed in black hooded capes, surrounded by candles. Eventually, I couldn't take it anymore. So, one morning, instead of brushing past them as I usually did, I went up to them, sat down, took a deep breath, blew out the candles and sang 'Happy Birthday'.

They weren't too fucking happy about
Jeb
Oct 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Where to begin.

Ozzy is the Alexander the Great of substance abuse, except that he didn't die in his early 30s despite every attempt to do so.

I believe that this book is proof that there is no underlying justice in the world. How can Dio be dead and this pickled human still live?

The inherent injustice aside, my wife said that she has never heard me laugh out loud so many times while reading a book. Laugh-horror is the only 'adjective' I can think of to describe my impression throughout the autob
Thomas Edmund
Mar 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Well... Wow, just wow. It must have been said so many times before, but just how can this man take so many drugs over the all decades of his life? Like most biographies, Ozzy’s covers his early childhood and some of his early ‘work’ experiences. Unlike many biographies (although not that uncommon amongst musicians’) after his initial success in Black Sabbath, Ozzy’s life drops into an endless rush of booze, illegal drugs, legal drugs and substances not supposed to be consumed by human mortals.

T
Alora
Mar 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The reviews for this book were so great I just had to check it out. And besides, while I was never a serious head-banger I did have my Ozzy 8-track back in the day... and I was darn curious to see what he has to say now that he's old enough to be someone's grandpa.

First of all, if you are at all easily-shocked, don't read this. Second of all, if you can't hand the odd (as in mentioned every other sentence) four-letter word, don't read this.

But I did. And, honestly, I was completely engrossed all
Pamela Su
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly down-to-earth. Hilarious and yet oddly tender.

I know nothing about Black Sabbath and I never watched The Osbournes, except for the odd trailers that I would catch on tv.

I was fascinated by Ozzy's version of his life. There's a blunt honesty in this book and a kind of vulnerability that peeks through the words. It says a lot about the power of his story that I didn't hate him for the atrocious things that he's done.

Iconic moments of insanity had new amusing meaning. Some of the dark
Michael
May 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: musicians and wannabees
Recommended to Michael by: a goodreads friend
You can blame Keff Richards for the only three stars. Had I read Ozzy's book first, he would have received four and Keith only three. The story is the same, only the street names were changed to protect their innocence. Post-war England, described in most books as a shit-hole forever filmed in black and white. In the USA, we were trying to recover from the murder of our President, and the different reality of black and white. Music changed our lives. Some worked very hard and they escaped the sh ...more
Nathan Adams
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Entertaining from front to back, a wild life of a wild man. I flew through this one. The substance abuse gets a little repetitive by the end, but hey, that's his reality. The guy should really have hit the slab a long time ago from all he's done to himself, it's a miracle he's still walking. Good romp through the world of a man who started with nothing, behaved badly most of his life, but stumbled his way to the top through force of will and the help of other talented and dedicated (and sometime ...more
Lorie
Jan 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It was a candid biography by Ozzy. I was not disappointed, and he told it like it was and his personality was woven throughout the book. I could hear his voice in my head as I was reading it, and he was not mumbling.
I highly recommend it to everyone and it is definitely one of the Top Ten Rock n Roll biographies/autobiographies I have read.
Nerita
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I wish I could have a physical copy of this book because this is badass-ery at its finest level. Ozzy talks about his life with his trademark language full of curse words and funny observations.
description
Karen Appleyard
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars
Okay, so it is not the best written book ever, but it is a really great read.
You may not like all of what Ozzy has done, but boy, what a roller coaster ride his life has been until now and what is more amazing, is that he is still around to tell the tale.
And there is far more to Ozzy than just bats!
All music lovers or fans of biographies should have this book in their collection
Kerry.Harbinsongmail.Com
Oct 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book was funny in the beginning, however as I read more, I actually realized how much I hate Ozzy.
Drug addict, wife beater, animal abuser. I cannot handle this book and I cannot handle Ozzy.
Cant believe this was ever published. What a loser.
Marti
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was struck immediately by some similarities between Ozzy Osbourne's early music career, and that of the Hollywood Brats. They had the same management briefly in Patrick Meehan. And both had dealings with the infamous Wilf Pine, who was Don Arden's henchman, known for dangling people out windows until they agreed to draconian contract terms. Unlike the Brats, Ozzy seems to have gotten along with Wilf famously.

If the Brats' bio is perhaps the best book about music by a band you never heard of, I
Jared Woods
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's be clear: I've never worshipped Ozzy like the Rock God he probably deserves to be. I get the whole "Black Sabbath invented heavy metal" thing, and am forever in debt for their contribution to the genre. I am also equally impressed that the man went from being the frontman of one of the most important bands of all time, to having such an acclaimed solo career, despite every odd being against him. My problems, however, came after Ozzy fizzled, no longer such a figurehead in the music scene, ...more
Lisa
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shocking. My review that is. I'm not an Ozzy fan, though I do like Crazy Train. I couldn't have told you he was the lead singer for Black Sabbath. I never watched the Osbournes, though I did like Sharon on The View. And yet, he is an icon and I was curious about the man behind the legend. This book is not for everyone for it is also shocking. This is my first autobiography about a rock star and man, there really is a lot of sex, drugs and rock 'n roll. I don't know how he's still alive. I don't ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please Merge: Ozzy 3 154 May 08, 2013 08:30PM

• Iron Man: My Journey Through Heaven & Hell with Black Sabbath
  • Slash
  • White Line Fever: The Autobiography
  • Mustaine: A Heavy Metal Memoir
  • The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band
  • The Heroin Diaries: A Year in the Life of a Shattered Rock Star
  • The Long Hard Road Out of Hell
  • Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?
  • It's So Easy: And Other Lies
  • Tommyland
  • Sharon Osbourne Extreme: My Autobiography
  • Watch You Bleed: The Saga of Guns N' Roses
  • Red: My Uncensored Life in Rock
  • Scar Tissue
  • My Appetite for Destruction: Sex, and Drugs, and Guns N' Roses
  • Tattoos & Tequila: To Hell and Back with One of Rock's Most Notorious Frontmen
  • I'm the Man: The Story of That Guy from Anthrax
  • No Regrets: A Rock 'n' Roll Memoir
John Michael "Ozzy" Osbourne is the lead vocalist of the pioneering English heavy metal band Black Sabbath, a multi-platinum, award winning successful solo artist and the star of the reality show, The Osbournes. Considered by many to be the "Godfather of Heavy Metal," Ozzy has enjoyed a career that has now spanned four decades.