Start by marking “Local Hero” as Want to Read:
Local Hero

Local Hero

Who was that masked man...? When Mitch Dempsey appeared in Hester Wallace's doorway bearing gifts, she knew she should beware. She'd just moved and didn't need trouble in the form of an all-too-attractive downstairs neighbor. Her nine-year old son had no such qualms. When he discovered Mitch was the creator of his favorite comic book here, he was sold.

Though Mitch was no
Mass Market Paperback, Silhouette Special Edition #427, 250 pages
Published January 1st 1988 by Silhouette

To ask other readers questions about Local Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Local Hero

Start your review of Local Hero
Julie
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I came across this book while looking through my shelves for holiday themed books. The cover had a wintertime picture, so I tossed it in the pile. Well, it's not Christmas themed, but it is set during winter. (Around Valentine's Day actually) It was published in 1988 and is only 250 pages long. The story is awesome! Heartwarming without being sappy. Mitch was just dreamy. I could understand Hester being wary. Going through a divorce and then finally getting yourself together makes it hard to. ...more
Thenia
Hester, a single mother of a young boy gets a new job and moves to a new apartment building, where she meets Mitch, an easygoing neighbor who happens to be her son's favorite comic book writer.

I am your number one fan

Mitch had been struggling to find inspiration when Hester and little Rad became his neighbors and brought him more than he thought he needed.

Sweet story, with a determined, stubborn but lighthearted hero that's exactly what the responsible, too serious young mother and lovable little boy need.
❤️ Dorsey aka Wrath Lover Reviews ❤️
3.5 Stars

Nora Roberts has always been hit or miss with me and this one I found just okay.

Hester Wallace moves into a new apartment with her 9 yr old son Radley. Hester is a single parent after Radley's father decides being a responsible grown up isn't the life for him, Radley was only a year old or so when his father abandoned them. Because of this Hester is determined to NEVER trust another man!

Mitch Dempsey lives in the same building as Hester and Radley, he decides to introduce himself when
Devanshi Gupta
Sep 05, 2016 rated it liked it
So this was an okay book. I was certainly engrossed in it from the love angle and sometimes I was on the edge of my seat. But sometimes this book irritated me and forced me to say out loud "Just say yes . Damn you!" While in the starting I was like, "I wouldn't have tolerated that if I were a single divorced mother and after a day of meeting someone he tried to kiss me."
Quinn's Book Nook
Definitely not my favorite Nora Roberts, but it is one of her older ones. Copyright 1988, I think. But still I did enjoy it.
Mojca
It started with a pizza delivered to the wrong door, but then he fell in love with her son...and her legs, and Mitch Dempsey knew life would never be the same.

What a lovely, heart-warming, a little sad at time, and slightly exasperating, thanks to the heroine, romantic little story this was.

I loved Mitch (the hero) for his steadfastness, comfort with himself and around other people, for his stubbornness when he knew he was doing (and demanding) the right thing, and his love and care for Radley.
Amanda Siegrist
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I was not a huge fan of this book. I honestly didn't care for the hero, Mitch. He was too pushy and demanding right off the bat and I just didn't connect with him. It also threw me off that the heroine's name is Hester. I liked her character, but I just didn't see how they matched. It was hard to get through, but I read it until the end.
Shannan
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
The cover reminds me of a Nancy Drew cover from the 70's. I love it and it makes me laugh. I'm just a sucker for most things Nora Roberts. And I liked that this was a quicker read than most of Roberts books. I don't quite understand why Mitch was so into Hester but her son was adorable! Loved the comic book angle.
Otherwise, it was an okay book with the ending way and above what I felt the heroine would even consider.
Overall, it's a solid 3/5.
Sadie
Apr 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Cute story, but not as good as some of her others. It was almost more of a story of the man and the son. Very touching, very sweet. I can see where the mother thought she might be a package deal. The second 1/2 brought out more of their story. Also sweet, but it was the story of Mitch and Radley that was most touching.
Melissa
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I read this story in a 2-in-1 book by Nora Roberts called "Perfect Harmony".
I really liked the story of the couple meeting and becoming friends. And how he becomes friends with her Son also. A really wonderful romance!
Ellie Hilton
Classic Nora Roberts, you can tell its an earlier one because they still watched movies on a VCR! And got excited about a PC!
Yona
Sep 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: real-life
I guess 3.5 stars, because the main heroine was very annoying.
Chris Meads
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, romance
Another romance from Nora Roberts.

Hester Wallace is living in Manhattan with her son, and a new job. All she wants is to be able the care for her son and be secure. Her husband left her long ago and she has sworn off having another man enter her life.

Mitch Dempsey is a comic book writer and have written several issues about Zark, a super hero. Little does he know that Hester's son, Radley, is smitten with the super hero. When Radley finds out who Mitch is, he is in seventh heaven and is glad
Kristinita
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
3.5 Stars

This book was super cute, and I loved the relationship between Radley and Mitch. It was so adorable!!! It had an interesting storyline that kept me turning pages quickly, but what stopped me from giving it a higher rating was its believability. I don't want to say too much about it, for spoiler reasons, but I just thought Hester changed her mind too quickly, and that made it a bit unrealistic to me — of course, who actually wants a super realistic, aka BORING, scenario in a romance
L.
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, finished
I've been going back through the earlier writings of Nora Roberts to read novels that I had skipped and came across this one written in 1988. It was nice to read about being able to allow a 10yr old child to take a dog for a walk in Central Park by himself. Of course this would still have depended on the neighborhood you lived in, even 50yrs ago when I lived there there were areas to be avoided. This was a good, quick read that I enjoyed. The story is one that continues to occur today, fathers ...more
Soren Chargois
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this book subsequently to Roberts' A Will and a Way in her First Snow paperback novel that combined both stories. I didn't like it was much as A Will and a Way, but the plot is really sweet and interesting and truly warmed my heart.

It's crazy to think the novel is over two decades old -- I had to keep reminding myself that the story wasn't taking place in modern-day, although the way Roberts writes it surely could have been written in the modern day. Guilty pleasure, through-and-through.
Dana Webster
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars - the cute kid notched it up from 3.5.

Okay, I don't like a wishy-washy heroine - Hester wasn't. But I don't like them so dumb they can't see what a good thing they've got. Hester, unfortunately, fought Mitch all the way through this story, even while her little boy was falling into a bromance with the author of his favorite comic.

definitely NOT Nora's best, but still a good romance at heart.
Jenn
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Hester and her son Radley move in upstairs from Mitch. Hester has made herself independent after her divorce and Mitch moves right in. He helps her out with watching Radley after school and just scoops into her life. There is an attraction of course but Hester feels she can't get involved. Mitch doesn't give up but continues to push at her showing her how love can be instead of what she had with her exhusband.
Gail A Ostrove
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Talk about commitment

Mitch showed true loyalty even when Hester kept turning him down. He wound up having to prove to her he was in it for the Long haul.
So as a loan officer she offered a joint mortgage on their future house.
Jen
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 For a book club. Enjoyed the main female character and her relationship to her son, but found the setting and some of the male character’s attitude underused and off putting, respectively. But an easy read.
Tammy
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story, cute easy read. What fun.
Becki Mullen
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book. I really enjoyed the characters and got attached to them!
Courtney
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am sucker for a good romance.
Nicole Aroca
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was entertaining to read the story of Hestia, Mitch and Rad, I really like reading Nora's books because they show you very beautiful love stories.
Judy Churchill
An old book by Roberts. Simple and not much plot. The only redeeming part was the cute relationship between the neighbor and and her nine year old son.
Alia Crow
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
There was nothing wrong with this book; there was just nothing extraordinary either. It was a cute romance. Simple but nice.
laurel jones
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
at this time in my life "love stories" only make me feel sad. so this review is more a refection of the loss of my heart and love
Hope
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fun book! :-D
This is a perfect read for a child winter afternoon. It's lighthearted, fun read that will make you smile over and over. So much fun! :-)
Jayne Chickola
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
boring
Madeline Walker
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story line

I enjoyed the book as it dealt with issues many of us have experienced. It held my attention at the end I wanted the story to go on!
« previous 1 3 next »