Start by marking “Maps of the Mind” as Want to Read:
Maps of the Mind

Maps of the Mind

The author presents the first comprehensive attempt to collect, describe, and draw in map form the most important concepts of the human mind.
Published March 1st 1982 by Collier Books (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Maps of the Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maps of the Mind

Toby Newton
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hampden-Turner romps, but carefully and instructively, through a century’s worth of psychological insight and theorising. Towards the end, as he began wrapping one map around another in his own somewhat Byzantine cybernetic synthesis, I was unable to keep up, but his gloss on some thinkers with whom I was already familiar was never less than interesting.
James M. Madsen, M.D.
I've had this book for a long time and still find it to be one of the very best presentations of various ways of seeing the workings of the mind. Edward Tufte would be pleased with the visual depictions (I certainly am!), which add immeasurably to the accessibility of the book. Even though it was published in 1982, it's still a worthwhile and very enlightening read!
Steven Peterson
Dec 22, 2009 rated it liked it
The strength of this book also contains within it its main weakness. The book lays out a variety of "maps of the mind," views as to how the brain acts. The author notes that (Page 8): "This book brings together in visual form numerous ways in which mind has been conceived." The book looks at different levels of ideas about mind--from narrower to broader concepts. Level 1, for example, examines (Page 10): "Here the human mind is struggling to emancipate itself from servitude to the gods or the la ...more
Jen
May 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
Ok, I give up. I love the idea of the visual diagrams of all these different psychological theories, but I just can't get into the writing. There are better books to be read.
Randy Benson
Apr 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
love it.
Dr M
May 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The best and most comprehensive book dealing with history ideas and of human thought.
Y
  • Fire in the Brain: Clinical Tales of Hallucination
  • The Way We Think: Conceptual Blending and The Mind's Hidden Complexities
  • Mechanism of Mind
  • The Problem Of The Soul Two Visions Of Mind And How To Reconcile Them
  • Cleansing the Doors of Perception: The Religious Significance of Entheogenic Plants and Chemicals
  • Muses, Madmen, and Prophets: Rethinking the History, Science, and Meaning of Auditory Hallucination
  • Plague Time: The New Germ Theory of Disease
  • Experiment with Time
  • Mind and Nature
  • A Primer of Drug Action
  • Europe's Inner Demons: The Demonization of Christians in Medieval Christendom
  • Why We Believe What We Believe: Uncovering Our Biological Need for Meaning, Spirituality, and Truth
  • The Embodied Mind: Cognitive Science and Human Experience
  • The Tangled Wing: Biological Constraints on the Human Spirit
  • Who Are You?: 101 Ways of Seeing Yourself
  • Consciousness: An Introduction
  • Alone with Others: An Existential Approach to Buddhism
  • The Maiden King: The Reunion of Masculine and Feminine
“And so we come to the last crisis, that of integrity versus disgust and despair. Throughout the life-cycle the pieces have been assembled, structure built on structure around the ego's continuity. Now with death not too far away, can it all hold up or will it crumble? Are the links of love and meaning strong enough so that we are ourselves content to fall away.” 2 likes