Start by marking “The Silent World” as Want to Read:
The Silent World

The Silent World

A new era of undersea exploration began in 1943 when the young French naval officers J.Y. Cousteau, Philippe Tailliez, and the great civilian diver Frédéric Dumas, plunged into the Mediterranean with the first aqualung, co-invented by Cousteau.

In this fascinating report, Cousteau and Dumas tell what it is like to be “menfish” swimming in the deep twilight zone with sharks,
Published 1954 by The Reprint Society Limited (first published June 1st 1953)

Carol
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cousteau
This is an amazing book, chuck full of so much information and things I never ever thought about. Cousteau wrote this book with his friend Frederick Dumas in English (not in his native French). Cousteau and Emile Gagnan designed, built and tested the first "aqua-lung" in the summer of 1943 off the southern coast of France. In the opening chapters Cousteau recounts the earliest days of scuba diving with his diving companions Frederic Dumas and Philippe Tailliez. The aqualung allowed for the first ...more
Josh
Jun 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The opening shot of Louis Malle's film version of "The Silent World" tracks a platoon of divers as they descend through blue water; the focus of the shot, however, is not the men themselves, but on the long strings of bubbles emitted by their regulators, and the flares each of them is holding. The trace in other words: a flexible, buoyant, and irrepressible string, which threads the seawater beautifully and then disappears on the surface, in a series of harmless gurgles.

Cousteau's writing in Th
Beth R
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pick-a-shelf
I was worried the book may be too technical to enjoy, but was pleasantly surprised. Cousteau shared his experience in a manner that was educational and thoroughly enjoyable. I learned so much about the undersea world.
Erik Graff
Nov 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: scuba enthusiasts
Recommended to Erik by: Alfred & Mildred Hogle
Shelves: sciences
During childhood summers spent along the lake at Grandmother's in SW Michigan I was effectively an only child, my brother Fin Einar not being born until I was seven and being pretty useless for years afterwards. There was only one other kid in the woods we called "Livingston Hills", Diane Werner, the daughter of Dad's childhood friend, Christian. We would see each other a lot over the years until she, maturing faster, started getting girlish around age twelve.

Diane and I had an arrangement where
Scot Parker
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provides a fascinating account of the earliest modern scuba dives conducted by Jacques Cousteau and Frederick Dumas using the Aqualung which was designed and built by Jacques Cousteau and Emile Gagnan. These divers had no guidebook, no rules, only a rudimentary (compared to today) understanding of decompression theory, oxygen toxicity, nitrogen narcosis, and the other physiological effects of diving. They went on to pioneer the sport of SCUBA diving for millions to come.

It was entranc
Marysya Rudska
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Дуже раджу цю книгу всім, хто хоч трішки цікавиться дайвінгом і підводним світом. Це перша книга всім відомого Кусто, в ній він розповідає, як все починалося. Кусто був військовим французьких морських сил і займався випробовуваннями і розробкою апарата, який би дав можливість плавати під водою. Він був не перший у цій справі - з давніх часів люди збирали різні дари моря просто пірнаючи з окулярами, зараз це красиво називається фрі-дайвінг. Давно вигадали підводний дзвін і важкий свинцевий костюм ...more
Joshua Phillips
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Fantastic book. As a deep water diver, I found Cousteau's autobiographical recounting of the early days of diving to be informative and moving. While Cousteau has long been a hero of mine, reading his own account of the incredible pioneering that he, Dumas, and Tailliez performed only built my appreciation for their deep sea trio as well as for those others who met with death along the course of discovery. This book will inspire even those who have never reached below the depths.

Tiffany
Feb 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Scuba diving, the Red Sea, exploration ... what else can a girl ask for? This girl, anyway! My favorite bits of this book were the ones that revealed how much diving (and biology) has changed in the past 50 years. No more riding turtles, ripping out gorgonia, or petting cuttlefish. The "crunch of coral" is a bad thing these days. And oh, this book is so French - Cousteau talks about all the bottles of wine they brought with them on their adventures. Point me towards the ocean!
Ana O
Feb 20, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
"The happiness of the bee and the dolphin is to exist. For man it is to know that and to wonder at it."

anigif-marine
Mack
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the great explorers who dares to leave the sunlight and plunge down to visit lobsters in the crevice of a reef or rebuff a curious shark by hitting it on the nose with a camera. An amazing story of undersea adventures of Cousteau and his fellow explorers, the rewards of genius and courage. Fascinating illustrations.
Hope
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, favorites, wow, cool
This book was very good. I loved how the divers never gave up. They were courageous to offer to be the first ones who tried multiple "artificial lungs". They were the first to be able to move around without having to worry about interrupting nature with huge, metal suits. AWESOME!!!
Kevin Findley
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A pretty good (warts and all) story of Cousteau's early dives and how they developed aqualungs and new types of equipment that are still the foundation for diving today. As a kid, I watched The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau every week, so this book was a little bit of a retro experience for me.

If you have even the mildest interest in biographies, diving, or anything to do with the undersea environment, you should read this book. It is also a very interesting look into Post-WWII Europe.

Find
Cora Pokrifka
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book has beautiful descriptions that continue to make me say to myself "that's so cool!" Although I know that scuba diving is not the life for me, this book made me harbor a new understanding and appreciation for the mysterious and adventitious beauty of the silent world below the waves. I loved his writing, and the beautiful and human nature of the book. I love the fact that his curiosity and nonchalance just bubbles itself through the entire book, making the book and its contents even more ...more
Iany Kelly
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is increible, I loved.
Tyler V.
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What impressed me the most about Cousteau was his ability to write simply. He obviously had a great passion for the technical, scientific side of things but at no time during my reading of the book did he show it. He made the sea, and everything in it, seem simple, delightful, elegant, and worthy of a childlike curiosity. This really comes through with his simple language; a child could read this and feel something an adult would, probably even more. At the same time it isn't boring or naive. Co ...more
Vicky Hunt
Dancing with the Much Slandered Octopus

An invasion of the silent world under the Mediterranean Sea; Jacques Cousteau's deep sea diving left behind a wealth of photos, movies, and Science about the world that flows around our dry land. For the reader who loves to discover shipwrecks from an armchair, or the aquarium lover who can visualize the denizens of the sea by mere words; this book will suit readers of all ages.

"Iron Ships crumble away in the lifetime of a man."

Jacques is the French hero o
Vintagebooklvr
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
I found the descriptions exquisite and lyrical in places. It's like being along with a explorer seeing and experiencing a new world that man has never visited before (or at least very few times). It's amazing the risks they took and the places that they they were the first men to ever to visit.
Franziska Nitzsche
The beginning of aqualung , pretty fascinating.....from a different time.
Greyson
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic. One of those books that transports you to a time past and a place you'd like to be.
Scarlet
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Good book which explored many of the technical aspects of diving as well as giving a good explanation of the development of deep-diving techniques and under-water filming. Cousteau describes his experiences very well, with some beautiful and lyrical descriptions of life in the silent world under the sea. The photographs included were extremely interesting, even if they're not quite up to the standard we're used to now in terms of quality.

While I appreciate Cousteau chose to split his anecdotes
Circul Wyrd
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having met a number of professional biologists, I have been surprised when occasionally mentioning this book how often one gets a response similar to "that was the book that I read when I was a kid that inspired me to become a biologist". It is an amazing piece of autobiographical writing from an amazing person. I highly recommend one of the older editions. Mine is a hardback from 1954 which has 44 pages of illustrations. It is adventure, love of the ocean and its creatures, engineering, and eve ...more
Josefin Karlsson
It's hard for me to rate this book written by my hero Captain Jacques Yves Cousteau. On one hand it is a true adventure for anyone who has tried to breathe through a straw as a child and on the other it is a story told by an old voice from a different generation. There are some "killings in the name of science" and some snappy 50's fashion conclusions but the awesomeness in the stories of the first people ever to explore this world is thrilling. I must remind myself that Cousteau became a champi ...more
Tony
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal
Ruth Brumby
Such fascinating material should have made an interesting book, but it isn't very interestingly written. There are some patches of engaging writing, but these are not supported by a well thought out structure and I found expanses of technical detail quite boring.
Dina
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are a lot of interesting things in here, but I couldn’t get over the misogynistic comments (really, women are “suspicious of diving”?), and how often he discussed killing sea creatures just for research.
Jesse Becker
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You don't need a new story to fall in love with diving. This origin story has an amazing amount of adventure.
Marts  (Thinker)
Cousteau's chronicles of the early days of his underwater diving adventures starting from the mid-1940's...
Maries Rionda
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excelent! Could be a bit boring for non divers.
Rob Dean
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic read.
Rafael Silva
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great reading!!

A must read for divers and enthusiasts!
  • Great Heart: The History of a Labrador Adventure
  • Kabloona
  • Travels in Arabia Deserta, Volume 1
  • Starlight and Storm
  • The Royal Road to Romance: Travelers' Tales Classics
  • Voyages and Discoveries: Principal Navigations, Voyages, Traffiques and Discoveries of the English Nation
  • My Life as an Explorer
  • Conquistadors of the Useless
  • The Home Of The Blizzard: A True Story Of Antarctic Survival
  • Travels into the Interior of Africa
  • Travels in West Africa
  • Gipsy Moth Circles the World
  • The Journals
  • Minus 148 Degrees
Born in 1910, was a French naval officer, explorer, ecologist, and filmmaker, who studied the sea. Although he is most famous to us from his television programmes, he also co-developed the aqua-lung, and pioneered marine conservation as a political and scientific priority.
In the Calypso, an ex-Royal Navy minesweeper, Cousteau visited the most interesting waters of the planet. During these trips he
“I swam across the rocks and compared myself favorably with the sars. To swim fishlike, horizontally, was the logical method in a medium eight hundred times denser than air. To halt and hang attached to nothing, no lines or air pipe to the surface, was a dream. At night I had often had visions of flying by extending my arms as wings. Now I flew without wings. (Since that first aqualung flight, I have never had a dream of flying.)” 16 likes