Start by marking “Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 1

Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 1 (Bokurano: Ours / ぼくらの #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  552 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Saving the world is hard. Saving yourself is even harder.

R to L (Japanese Style). Saving the world is hard. Saving yourself is even harder. One summer, 15 kids innocently wander into a nearby seaside cave. There they meet a strange man who invites them to play an exciting new video game. Sounds like fun, right? This game, he explains, pits a lone giant robot against a hord
Published February 16th 2010 by VIZ Media LLC (first published August 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bokurano, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bokurano

Elsa
Feb 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-gn
15 kids meet one summer and are offered a chance to play a "game" which seems pretty cool to them. Little do they know they pretty much have no choice and no one wins this game. Each kid will have an opportunity to pilot a giant robot in order to save the world, but the price is pretty high, as the first pilot finds out. The other children all handle the aftermath in different ways. The author does a great job of giving each kid a background and compelling reason to do what they do. He doesn't s ...more
Megan M
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Somewhere between Gundam Wing, Death Note and Battle Royale is this weird little manga - Bokurano is all mechs, junior high students and lots of worrying about whether they are doing the right thing. On a summer field trip, 15 junior high students sign a contract with a mysterious man in a cave, who tells them they have to save the world by piloting a robot and defeating enemies. It's all very vague and you don't learn much more in this volume.

It's an extremely fast read because so much of it is
Elaine
I found the story a bit slow in the beginning but it definitely picks up towards the end of the volume. And maybe I'm just jaded but the twist wasn't exactly surprising. However, I am looking forward to picking up the next volumes. Hopefully the monster-of-the-week coupled with the kid-of-the-week doesn't get tedious. And while this deconstruction of the mecha genre feels like a mixture of old and new, I'm hoping there is enough of the new to keep the tension and mystery alive.
Dru
Apr 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-graphic-novel
a cool premise, 14 school children must each take turn controlling a giant robot to defend the earth.

edit: I re-read this before reading the rest of the series. things I forgot to mention in the first review: they name the robot Zearth, they reference Neon Genesis Evangelion without naming it.
Petros
Dec 02, 2011 rated it liked it
NOTICE: I will be making many references to Narutaru. Can’t help making a joke about it and for all intents and purposes, this is a double review for both series. Damn things are practically the same anyway. Also, this is one of those weird retrospective texts that focuses more on what happens around a series that in it. If you don’t like it, it ain’t my fault.

PROLOGUE
Bokurano, aka Narutaru mk2.
Ok, the guy who makes these things clearly goes for impressions through shock value around children ab
Richard
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, devastatingly dark series. Read it and weep.
Ben Nealis
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Another alien fighting mech manga with a mystery aspect to it. Nicely drawn and a decent plot. Nothing makes it truly stand out.
Leah Coffin
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Already less disturbing than Narutaru. That’s good, I guess.
Hollowspine
Jan 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Bogi Takács
Aug 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Back when I'd read it, I thought Kitoh's Narutaru was a solid take on what Pokémon would be like in real life (ie. kids would *horribly* bully each other with powerful magical monsters).

Bokurano seems like a similar deconstruction of mecha anime, from the first volume at least, but... mecha anime have been so extensively deconstructed already. Or maybe I could call it a mashup of mecha anime and Lord of the Flies. It seems like it was produced in this fashion:

Editor: "OK, listen up. People ate
Courtney
Bokurano seems, at first glance, to be a fairly typical mecha-based manga series. It winds up being anything but. A group of school children stumble upon a hidden cave near a beach and decide to explore it. At the very darkest pit of this cave, they find a shockingly technological room with a man offering them a chance to play a game of epic proportions. In this game, the children will essentially pilot a gigantic mechanical fighting machine in order to defeat giant monsters who would otherwise ...more
quinnster
Jan 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Fifteen kids is a lot to keep track of and try to figure out what their stories are. Luckily, in this first volume while we're introduced to all of them the story focuses mostly on the first two kids who get 'the call'.

The story was fun and creepy enough, but there wasn't a lot of chance to get character development so it didn't feel complete. Of course, it's not complete since this is the first volume in a series, but at least with other series you kind of have a good grasp on who the character
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Interesting deconstruction of the giant robot series genre. This is definitely not another Gundam. It has a serious tone and features short vignettes about the lives of the 7th grade children who must use their life-force to pilot the robot that will save the earth. Interestingly, the sci-fi, action part of the series is actually a plot device to heighten the the main pilot's internal struggles and show the way in which life-or-death situations may lead to revelation or complete estrangement.
Joy
Fifteen kids meet a mysterious stranger, who invites them to play a game. They unwisely agree and are stupid enough to seal a contract to that effect. (Seriously. I don't even think youth is an excuse for that sort of idiocy.) Of course, the "game" turns out to have some very serious real-life consequences.

Candice M (tinylibrarian)
Aug 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ggn11noms, manga
Kelly
The story only got better when it finally took that "dark turn." However, I'm not too confident about moving on with the series. With fifteeen main characters, I have the feeling it will be too much catching up on back-story to deal with the present.
Claudia  Carpio Valdivia
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, mangas-comics
Hace algunos años atrás vi el anime y recién ahora me he dignado a leer el manga. Ahora he vuelto a ver el anime para después leer el manga y wow! la historia es tan diferente y explicita.
Tengo muchas ganas de seguir leyendo el manga.
G33z3r
The start of a lengthy (13 volume) sci-fi/fantasy manga featuring giant robots and dying children. Interesting if morbid premise, though I'm not fond of writers using young kids in jeopardy as a shortcut to an emotional connection.
Lucius
Feb 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm reading this mostly to see how it's different from the anime which was derived from this manga. There's a lot of small changes, but some of those small changes or omissions in the anime can completely change the story.
Rebecca
Apr 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics-and-manga
There are too many characters introduced up front and the twist and end are gratuitously cruel. I'm not interested in continuing this series at all.
Kimberly
Jun 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga-manhwa
I really didn't like any of the characters, to be honest.
Cailyn
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
Hovering between one and two stars...
Jenna
Didn't like it in the beginning but it started to become more gripping near the end. I'll read some more of it..
Douglas Cootey
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Child of Evangelion. Disjointed story style to create mystery. Not sure if it is going to keep my attention for six or so volumes. I like the scratchy drawing style, tho.
Kristin Fletcher-spear
reviewed for Icv2.com
Dolores
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting, but dark, dark, dark.
Daryl Nash
Mar 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, graphic-novels
I loved Narutaru, so I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt. The first volume is okay, a bit Evangelion with a lot more protagonists and less wacky conspiracy.
Fiore777
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
As expected from Kitoh, kids tossed into a screwed up situation with issues of their own. I am enjoying this series so far.
Deckard Ra
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I finished reading the whole series. This is the most intellectual mecha series I have ever encountered. Loved it more than Gundam and that is not exaggeration.
  • 7 Billion Needles, Vol. 1
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 1 (Children of the Sea, #1)
  • Afterschool Charisma, Vol. 1
  • House of Five Leaves, Vol. 1
  • Saturn Apartments, Vol. 1 (Saturn Apartments, #1)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 3 (20th Century Boys, #3)
  • A, A'
  • Cross Game 1 (Cross Game, #1-3)
  • Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture, Volume 1
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 01
  • All My Darling Daughters
  • Wandering Son, Vol. 1
  • Train Man: Densha Otoko, (Train-Man, #1)
  • Ikigami: The Ultimate Limit, Volume 1 (Ikigami, #1)

Bokurano: Ours / ぼくらの (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 2
  • Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 9
  • Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 10
  • Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 11

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Axe and the Throne (Bounds of Redemption, #1)
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Midnight Curse (Disrupted Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Delphi Effect (The Delphi Trilogy #1)