Start by marking “Awkward Situations for Men” as Want to Read:
Awkward Situations for Men

Awkward Situations for Men

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  1,488 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
How do you walk behind a woman you don’t know at night?
What do you do if you’ve said goodbye, but then both walk off in the same direction?
Or if you’re caught cheating on your hairdresser?
Or when you spot someone purposely not taking your call?

Well, if you’re Danny Wallace, you feel all awkward.
Taken from his multi-award-nominated ShortList column, this is a book that trac
Published 2010 by Ebury

To ask other readers questions about Awkward Situations for Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awkward Situations for Men

Caroline
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
This is weird. I wasn't going to review this book, I was just going to give it a 4 star rating and leave it at that....but when I came to do it, I saw I had already relegated it to my "Did Not Finish" shelf, and in my private notes I had written "Found the book boring, and the humour rather laboured."

Good grief - so I tried to read this book before, and found it a damp squib! Well, my second reading was different. The book consists of a lot of short chapters, each one describing anecdotes taken
Samuel Tyler
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If I wrote down every time I did something a bit awkward I would probably have a very full and depressing diary that I would not allow anyone to see. Thankfully, Danny Wallace in not me; although he appears to drop social faux pas as often as I do, he has decided to air the lot in public. ‘Awkward Situations for Men’ is a collection of Danny’s Short List articles combines into one easy to read book. Each story is approximately 3 pages long so this is more of a pickup and read for a bit book, tha ...more
Laura Quin
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I may not be a man but I thoroughly enjoy Wallace's take on modern life and found this collection of short essays very easy to devour. Funny and intelligent, yet also daft, Wallace leads the reader through his internal struggle with trying to be a good man. He would almost certainly infuriate me in real life but in print he is a great scatty friend you'd love to share an evening with.
The Book Nazi
Jul 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Wallace Takes us through a year in his life, he recounts how he handled, and worried, with things life unexpectedly threw in his face. How do you walk behind a woman you don't know at night and want to show you mean no harm? How do you ask a minor celebrity to leave your party when they weren't even invited? What to do when you've mistaken a man for a woman and have been mistaken for someone who isn't you but you pretend to be them so as not to appear rude? This book is much different to Wallace ...more
Ciaran
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book, some great little stories that had me laughing out loud quite often. If you love a dry sense of humour and if you've ever accidentally become another mans partner for a brief moment (haven't we all been there) then this book is a must.
Robert
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Just printed off his magazine articles like Clarkson. Double money bit most not funny. Then last 10 pages flogging his new book which I have already read and that was rubbish to. Last ever.
Tristophe
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
A series of embelished lad mag annacdotes tied to a linnear almost story.

It was funny in most places but just didn't find it that interesting or compelling, YMMV.
Tony
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
I say I read this but I got 50% of the way through it and stopped as it showed no signs of improving. If you're looking for something similar to 'Yes Man' keep looking, this ain't it.
Nataliya Piletska
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
My friend loaned me this book; that was the only reason I read it through to the end. I found it first silly, then tedious, then inexplicably I started to get offended by it. It made me laugh exactly once. The rest of the time, the author alternated between being annoyingly condescending and pompous, then awkward and neurotic. I got the impression that he was trying to make himself out as modern, metrosexual and liberal-minded; friends with gay people, enjoyed watching Sex and the City, partakin ...more
Marcus Gipps
Aug 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
I’ve actually ended up reading most of Danny Wallace’s books – not for any particularly good reason, but they’re generally enjoyably readable, and it doesn’t hurt to dip into something a bit light-hearted and non-fiction from time to time. To be fair, that argument would be better if I didn’t spend most of my time reading comics and SF books, but still, I have a soft spot for the kind of book he normally writes.

This one, however, is a bit disappointing. A collection of articles Wallace has writt
Dane Cobain
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you’ve ever read any of Danny Wallace’s writing then you’ll know what to expect here. He has a cracking sense of humour and a certain style of writing that reminds of good bloggers, only Wallace was writing before blogging was really a thing.

In this book, we see a year in his life through the awkward tales he tells of some of the bizarre social situations he manages to get himself into, from telling a woman that her baby looked like Hitler to having a child of his own and going along to paren
Lexi
Jan 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This one was different from Danny Wallace's other books, in that it was a collection of his short columns rather than a single narrative. That said, I still enjoyed it a lot and found myself dragging out finishing it since I knew once it was over I wouldn't have a new Danny Wallace book to read until his next one comes out (though apparently that will be sooner than I thought, so good news there). As with everything else he writes, this book was both funny and positive. Here's a snippet I partic ...more
Paul
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely full of laugh-out-loud moments. It’s all about the little things that you never think about until they are encountered. The pastries that need hiding because of someone who made the effort to get them. Being the first to arrive at a distant friend’s party. Accidentally pulling the panic cord in the vapour room in an attempt to get rid of the steam. And it’s all in the name of attempting to avoid an awkward situation and not cause a scene. Wallace covers a fantastic range ...more
Glenn
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I heart Danny Wallace. Quite a lot. I was surprised by how much I loved Yes Man (but hated the movie). So when I happened to see this book come past at work I had a quick look and thought I'd read it. This book took me a while to get through. Not because it's slow or boring but because I think it's best read a little at a time. Each piece is about 3 pages long so it's the perfect book to read when you've got a couple minutes spare here and there. I found about 4 or 5 of the pieces so funny that ...more
Chris Harvey
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not quite Yes Man but an excellent read, lots of different stories that are only a few pages long each so it is easily accessible. You can leave it for a little while and easily pick it back up. Some stories are a little boring but most are quite fun with a select few (generally where Wallace uses his querky humour to reflect on what is happening) that are absolute classics. Wallace is clearly a new age man and someone who I can really relate to, an excellent read I would recommend to anyone. We ...more
Nick Davies
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Enjoyable, with plenty of quirkiness and stuff easy (as a British male) to relate to. The peculiarities of modern urban life, and how blokes are increasingly stumbling in a world where we're supposed to be more sensitive and more socially capable. I did, however, find it a more 'bring a smile to your face' than 'laugh out loud' (though some parts were very hilarious), and the nature of the book in being a collection of columns written by the author on the theme.. made it feel slightly slim and s ...more
John Humber
I've seen Danny Wallace a couple of times on TV and he seems a nice enough bloke. He's not fat and he doesn't appear to be someone with a drink problem. Almost every one of these writings however involves eating and/or drinking. Maybe it's just a device that writers use when they're writing regular magazine columns. Maybe it doesn't work quite so well when all those columns are put together in a book. Yes, that's probably it.
Louise Jones
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bio, comedy, true-life
i must be honest not to sure whoDanny wallace who is but have seen him on something or other it was an easy read took me yeons because i lost it as needed a rest between chapters as they were a bit samey on the whole realatively humourous if a bit far fetched did this really happen , did u really say that but if u look at my life a nd tales well yer pretty far fetched soan ok read but wld not be saying to anyone u really shld read this and soon not even men !!
Russell Proctor
Jun 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
I picked this book from a shelf in the hotel I was staying whilst on vacation. Primarily to see if this book was any better than another I had read by the same author ( reviewed earlier ).
As I feared this book was as dire as the previous, and only through sheer will did I persevere to its end.

I believe any man who mentions or uses the word metrosexual to describe themselves is not worthy of that title.

Enough said.
Bob
Jun 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
Good. Not great. One gets the feeling that Danny is no longer documenting madcap incidents that unfurl and get out of hand (Join Me and Yes Man), but instead actively chasing stories, wringing them for potential comedy – with mixed results.

I love Danny, he’s still funnier than most - but when his latest effort has interludes akin to “Deep Thoughts With Jack Handey” – I have no qualms saying that his originality has gone by the wayside.
Teàrlach
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, humour
This is my second time reading this, and I was a bit apprehensive I might like it less the second time around (read it before, jokes might seem tired, I might've somehow changed and no longer enjoy anything funny that also has a profoundly personal touch to it, etc.).
Not to worry, though! I still loved it. I also still identified with some of the situations, and I still teared up at the end of Champagne and Love.
Laurie
Apr 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy, read-in-2014
I think this is a great book to recommend to someone that you want to get interested in Danny Wallace. The short essays are amusing and sweet and a little off (in the best possible way).

I laughed out loud less for this book than I did for some of his others, but there were still some definite chuckles that sneaked out when I was in public places (thus creating my own awkward situations.)

"SKIIIIIIRT!"
Jayde
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Honestly this is quite a disappointment compared to Yes Man and Friends like these. There were a few moments where I smiled to myself but mostly I've just been turning the pages in the vain hope that he might eventually say something amusing.

Perhaps this book isn't for me (what with me being a woman and this being awkward situations for men). However in all honesty im not sure its for anyone but Danny Wallace thanks to its unusually smug tone.
Gwen
Aug 12, 2011 rated it liked it
This is really a collection of articles from a publication he writes for regularly (the name escapes me). Wallace's style is easy to read and his enthusiasm for the ordinary is infectious. A good 'dip in and out' kind of book and it will have you chuckling out loud in places. Put down as a good holiday read or if a fellow teacher, something you can read during term time without your brain imploding.
Jono
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
It's OK. The short little articles are entertaining enough but are never gonna have you laughing to yourself or yearning for more. The might raise a slight chuckle or sneaky upturn of the corner of you mouth, perhaps even a small giggle but nothing else. Some of the situations aren't even close to being awkward but you'll get through it quite quickly and afterwards you'll pretty much have forgotten everything that was in it so it doesn't really matter I suppose...
Chetan Harjani
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
The book is filled with humor, wit and crazy attitude of the author towards life. It tickles your stomach every now and then and makes your let out a whooping laugh. As you read through the author’s embarrassment and bewilderment when facing faux pas or awkward social situations, you come to love him and his wimpy ways. Looking for a hearty belly laugh? This books is just for you.
Ellie
Jun 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Although in chronological order, the chapters of these book are more like standalone anecdotes with a few connecting bits here and there. So it's a bit different from his other books. Saying that, I was often found laughing out loud whilst reading at work so it's still very enjoyable. If you're a fan of Danny's randomness you'll enjoy it, if you are looking for a non-fiction 'story' maybe not.
Kat
I'm fond of Danny Wallace but sometimes his hapless, well-meaning blundering in situations can be hard to believe - he is surely not as naïve as he sometimes makes out? Unsurprisingly as each chapter began life as a magazine column, it's an entertaining and quick read, particularly for city commuting.
Stuart
Jan 17, 2012 rated it liked it
I thought this was a good book. Although it is the first Danny Wallace book I have read I found it enjoyable. Its about a guy who has gone through lots of different situations in his life an has decided to tell us all about it. Some of them I even found myself saying, "yeah, ive been there".
Really enjoyable read
Matt Hamilton
Apr 14, 2013 rated it liked it
A series of Danny Wallace's columns from The Short List magazine, concerning the many potential embarrassing pitfalls of modern male life, from staring at babys too long to throwing z list celebs out of partys. Enjoyablein parts but each tale is too short to get fully involved and into the whole atmosphere.
  • Dave Gorman vs. the Rest of the World: Whatever the Game — Dave Takes on All Comers!
  • How Not to Grow Up!: A Coming of Age Memoir. Sort of.
  • Where Did It All Go Right?: Growing Up Normal in the 70s
  • Saturday Night Peter: Memoirs of a Stand-Up Comedian
  • Once more, with feeling
  • The Life of Lee
  • 21st Century Dodos: A Collection of Endangered Objects: and Other Stuff
Daniel Frederick Wallace is a British filmmaker, comedian, writer, actor, and presenter of radio and television. His notable works include the books Join Me, Yes Man, and the TV series How to Start Your Own Country. As an author, Wallace's bestselling books have been translated into more than a dozen languages.

He began writing reviews for video game magazines at the age of 13 for school work exper
More about Danny Wallace

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99