Start by marking “Swimming: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Swimming: A Novel

Swimming: A Novel

3.16  ·  Rating details ·  1,035 Ratings  ·  238 Reviews
A ferociously original novel, sparkling with wit and blazing
with emotion, from a gifted new novelist.

A spectacular debut about the rise of an Olympic champion -- a novel about competition, obsession, the hunger for victory, and a young girl with an unsinkable spirit struggling to stay afloat in the only way she can.

When we first meet Pip, the extraordinary heroine of
Audio, Abridged
Published July 14th 2009 by Simon Schuster Audio (first published January 1st 2009)

Erk Wyatt
Mar 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Go Swimming.

There are certain books that make me into S-L-O-W Man. Stories that I don't want to end: Unbearable Lightness of Being. The Shipping News. The Wind Up Bird Chronicle. I don my goggles, stick my head in a bucket of amber and suspend time- trying to read as slowly as humanly possible. Add Swimming to this sticky note.

Ms. Keegan does a great job drawing the reader into her pool, letting us swim, and sink, with her heroine, Philomena, a.k.a. Pip.

Readers will need to keep up with the ace
Katie
Aug 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to rate this a "4" but I started liking it less towards the end. As Philomena (the lead character) got more mentally unstable, the text got more stream-of-consciousness-y and it started to lose my interest. I see where the author was going with that, but I just really wasn't following it as well (perhaps I refused to be dragged down into madness with her!) and I lost track of which parts were real and which were imaginary. That part started to seem like work and not pleasure reading.

BUT
Denise
Jun 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.0 out of 5 stars Live to swim and swim to live..., June 1, 2009

This review is from: Swimming (Hardcover)

I finished this book a couple of days ago and had to give it some thought and reflection before I commented on it.

This novel, about a girl who lives to swim and swims to live, has a lot of ambition but somehow it falls short and sort of left me depressed. It's an incredibly complex tale of a young girl's sad coming of age and her relentless pursuit of Olympic gold in swimming. The story is
Amy
Jul 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At various points my opinion of "Swimming" traversed a roller-coaster veering from one to five stars: down, up, and down again. "Swimming" defies easy categorization, and is certainly not a typical sports bio. The swimming itself, and especially the Olympic experiences, are not the focal point of the book by any means. That is important to know, because I think that for most readers, their enjoyment will be in part based on how well the book matches their expectations.

Nicola Keegan writes in a h
Linda Reminger
Dec 07, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After reading the first chapter, I thought the book had a lot of promise. There was one great description after another of Pip as a baby.

"I have 7 chins varying in size and volume; crevasses things get stuck in that my mother has to excavate carefully after each bath."

"She leans towards me with a cotton ball dipped in baby oil, two purple sandbags of fatigue carefully holding down her eyes, and I karate-kick the open bottle out of her hand."

"If I fall asleep listening to the beat of my mother's
zan
Aug 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recent-favorites
I didn't think I would give this book five stars. At first it felt too cluttered, a bit pretentious, and a bit too precious. But reading this book was like running downhill - at some point it becomes so exhilerating, so terrifying, and so wonderful that you have to exclaim out loud.
Cynthia
Aug 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pip is born large and loud. This big baby has a talent for swimming, though, that author Nicola Keegan explains well.

(page 7)"All I know is that when I kick, it moves me, so I kick again, liberated from my fleshy prison of gravity."

The side story of Pip's sister Bron's illness is told well and from differing viewpoints. We feel Bron's anger, her indifference and her frustration with her dysfunctional family.

(page 41) "The moon waxes, the moon wanes, Lake Shawnee's vivid green deepens into brown,
Rachel Jones
Nicola Keegan writes Swimming exactly the way a person thinks when he or she is logging long hours in the pool. If you've ever swam competitively, you'll know what I'm talking about. Every thought, every memory, every conversation plus the taste of chlorine blends together in an internal dialogue that no one else can respond to.

This book is written entirely in that stream of consciousness style, which isn't one I typically like, but it works well here. I'm giving this book 3 stars on the streng
Ashley
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so it's a book about a (fictional) Olympic gold medalist in swimming. Hmmm. Snooze. Sports bio? Blech. But not so fast... the thing that some crankypants on goodreads don't like--that the book is not really all "about" swimming--is what I like about it best. Swimming forms an exquisite backdrop for what is really the story of being Philomena, seeing the world as she sees it. There are healthy doses of family drama here. I'd recommend it for anyone who liked Jenny Downham's Before I Die or ...more
Karen
Mar 02, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed in this book. I feel like the description on the book cover was misleading. As the title suggests, the book is about a girl that becomes an Olympic champion in swimming. It follows her life from like 8 years old to 28 years old. The book cover made it sound like it was very much about the swimming world and competing and the Olympic experience. But that was hardly covered. It was more just about her thoughts and feelings and relationships -- swimming was such a back story even ...more
Robin
Jul 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2009-list
After reading a number of positive reviews about this novel, I was sure to order it for my library's collection. And I was excited to get it and start reading it. But right from the beginning, I was having trouble getting into it. Maybe I had spent the summer reading teen novels and easier to understand fiction but I was having trouble getting through this novel of just over 300 pages. When I looked at the book again and I saw a piece of a review that mentioned the author as being the imaginary ...more
Terryann
Mina Ash’s life starts at 9 months old in the swimming pool and travels through tragedy and weirdness all the way to the Olympics. However, this book is not about swimming. Mina tries to relate to the world with glimpses into the lives of those around her amidst the craziness of her life and her family. Sarcastic and prose ridden, this emotional story puts your heart in your throat at the beginning and doesn’t let it out till the very end. Read by Aya Cash, who successfully turns choppy passages ...more
Fredsky
Jul 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and couldn't put it down for a lot of pages and chapters. The narrator is wonderful, a tough, smart, skinny 6"2" Olympic champion, and we watch her get there from a family full of loss. I loved training with her, and I really loved the contrast between the way she describes herself on land and the quick shots we have of her in the pool.

The first time I read it, I perceived something that wasn't there at all. I thought, finishing it, that most of the last half was a description
Amy
Aug 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a point last weekend where I was ravenous for this book. You know that feeling where you're kind of annoyed at life getting in the way of reading? That's where I was. I think it might have been one of those serendipitous reads because it pulses with a dull ache and sadness, but doesn't overwhelm you with it. And last weekend I was totally into diving in and wading around in the gloom and anguish. (See what I did there? I'm a cheeseball and I couldn't resist.)

I must say, the last 75 pa
Terry
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WHY do children have to raise their parents?
Kathie
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes for this story about an Olympic swimmer with a troubled family life, but it didn't live up to my expectations. The writing was at times poignant and touching, but more often it was disjointed and random. And the ending was disappointing and anticlimactic.
Lisa Hahn
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this one.
Polly
Jan 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't get past the first 50 pages. Shouldn't even get a star rating.
Sofi (Bitácora de sofi)
"El mundo dice un montón de cosas, y si las escuchas sin haber decidido tú mismo hacerlo, te conviertes en la persona a quien más oyes"
Debbie Tanguay
rise and fall of Olympic swimmer-ok
Peggy
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had to struggle to make it through this book. I kept waiting for it to end. This author's writing is not my cup of tea. It's not one I would ever reccomend.
Elizabeth
Aug 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I first read about "Swimming" in Poets and Writers magazine. Nicola Keegan was featured in the magazine's "First-Fiction Annual.” I read the opening paragraphs there and was intrigued by the voice of the character Philomena (a.ka. Pip). This was a good thing, as the whole of “Swimming” seems to take place within Pip’s head. But more on that later.

“Swimming” chronicles Pip’s rise as a swimming superstar-- over the course of the book she makes it to three Olympics and pulls in an unprecedented nu
Jule
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rezensiert
„Schwimmen“, der Debütroman der irischen Schriftstellerin Nicola Keegan, handelt vom Leben der rekordverdächtigen Schwimmerin und Olympiasiegerin Philomena Grace Ash, den Wettkämpfen sowie den persönlichen Krisen und glücklichen Momenten.
Philomena wird als Zweites von vier Mädchen, Ende der 60er, im erzkatholischen Kansas geboren. Schon beim Babyschwimmen wird klar, dass sie eine besondere Beziehung zum Wasser und zum Schwimmen selbst, hat.
Nach zwei schweren Schicksalsschlägen wird das Schwimmen
Bücher-Stöberia
Philomena ist fürs Schwimmen einfach geboren. Es gibt ihr das Gefühl von Freiheit und es bereitet ihr das größte Vergnügen, die Welt an sich vorbeisausen zu sehen.

Doch gleichzeitig bewirkt das Schwimmen bei Philomena etwas Anderes: Nach den ersten neun Monaten ihres Lebens, in denen sie nie länger als eine Stunde und 43 Minuten geschlafen hat, fällt sie nach ihrer ersten Schwimmstunde in einen vierzehn Stunden andauernden Tiefschlaf.

Philomena ist die Ich-Erzählerin des Romans und breitet vor dem
Kate Z
Jul 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to be inspired, to catch at little bit of "Olympic Fever." I hoped to get a glimpse into the life of Olympic hopeful, a taste of the Olympics. Instead I was depressed and brought down by the overwhelming weight of the world that tends to creep into ordinary lives - even Olympians, it seems, have family problems and trouble liking themselves.

The fact that the abstract of this book here on GoodReads is a gushing quote by Judy Blume just about sums up my experience of the book. Tee
Allison
The first two-thirds of this book were right on the mark: it's a book about swimming, family dynamics, and growing up. We follow the main character, Pip, through her childhood and adolescence as she deals with her sister's debilitating illness and depression, her mother's agoraphobia, and her father's virtual withdrawal from the family by catapulting herself into the world of competitive swimming.

Having been a swimmer myself, I found the various passages describing swimming and the feeling of "h

Isabelle
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some really intriguing ideas, but sometimes I had trouble just following the basic plot. I wasn't a huge fan of the writing style, and the ending seemed to drag.
Bethany Miller
Izzybizzy
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: winnings
Also eigentlich wollte ich mit dem Buch längst fertig sein. Aber schon nach kurzer Zeit stellte sich heraus, dass es nicht möglich ist, mal eben ein paar Seiten zu lesen. Wenn man das Buch zur Hand nimmt, muss man voll dabei sein, um alles zu erfassen.
Der Klappentext verrät zu diesem Buch:
"Boo, Mena, Phil oder Pip – Philomena hat eine Menge Namen und keinen leichten Stand: Ins Haus eines Fledermausforschers hineingeboren zu werden ist das eine. Dort – und noch dazu in Kansas – inmitten einer exz
Eric Gillis
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Génial ! Un univers et une écriture d'une grande cohérence. Ai dévoré les 425 (grande) pages (et petits caractères) de ce récit en 48 heures, presque d'une traite (deux ans qu'il traîne dans la grande pile de livres à lire). Bien sûr c'est tragique, des fois burlesques, tiré par les cheveux, trop construit. La mélodie du Bonheur est très loin. La religion est proche, la campagne US aussi, loin de tout. La fuite, l'évasion en haute profondeur dans le bleu chaud et doux d'un bassin olympique, la v ...more
  • Doctor Olaf van Schuler's Brain
  • The Melting Season
  • A Knife Edge (Vin Cooper, #2)
  • Snapped
  • Further Adventures
  • Vintage Veronica
  • Finny
  • Wonderland
  • Paisley Hanover Acts Out
  • Tahoe Heat (Owen McKenna #8)
  • Mozart's Ghost

• Where We Fall
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Over the Plain Houses
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Deep Harbor (Northern Lights, #2)
  • Mustard Seed
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Speak Easy, Speak Love
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • Coffee Will Make You Black: A Novel
  • On Turpentine Lane
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99

“All human beings go through a period where they are assholes, except for the fake ones who are assholes full-time.” 2 likes
“<...> the world says a lot of things, and if you listen without choosing, you become the one you hear the most.” 1 likes