Start by marking “Jump!” as Want to Read:
Jump!

Jump!

When a bug sleeping on a jug is chased by a frog, he has to jump to get away. But then that frog (who’s sleeping on a log) is in for a similar surprise! He’s attacked by a cat…who needs to jump away from a dog…and on it goes, until not even a shark is free from getting a little fright! Building on repetition that’s fun to read and fun to listen to, Jump! is a rip-roaring,
Published March 9th 2010 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Jump!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jump!

Start your review of Jump!
Betsy
Jan 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
A good children’s librarian is never satisfied. Never content with his or her lot. It doesn’t matter how many great read aloud picture books we’ve culled for our storytimes. Like Captain Ahab we’re on the search for “the one”. That great picture book that’ll leave ‘em dead in the aisles (not literally . . . that would be a bit dark). We prowl the ALA Conventions, hunt the bookstore shelves, and sniff through professional journals never stopping, never ceasing. Our work is never done. In the ...more
Krysta
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a book that makes a great read-aloud for story time with its rhymes and repetition, as well as the opportunity for kids to shout, "Jump!" after each scene. However, I really can't stand books like this one where the same thing happens over and over (an animal is chased by another animal and jumps). Great for kids. Not so great for me.
Jolene Aho
In the book “Jump”, students are introduced to a series of animals of increasing sizes. Each animal jumps when a bigger animal is introduced.
This is a picture book because there are colorful and engaging illustrations on each page. There is also a small amount of text on each page.
“Jump” would be most appropriate for Kindergarteners. Each page has rhyming words that students could identify. Students could also repeat the word “jump” throughout the story during a read aloud. In addition, this
Krista (MoonDustBookLust)
I got this book from a box of Multi-grain peanut butter Cherrios. The edition I have is bilingual and is in both English and Spanish.
My son loves frogs. When I saw this book in the box, I knew he wold love it since it has a frog right on the cover and features a bit about a frog in the story. I was absolutely right. I loved it.
The book is mostly about animals natural enemies. It was a very fun read for the first time tonight. He thought it was so funny each jump I enthusiastically said
Vivian
Apr 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Way fun. You'll have the kids JUMPING up the food chain with this rhyming text that is simple enough for beginning readers to tackle.

"Well, I'm a bug. I'm a bug. I'm a snug little bug, and I'm sleeping on a jug. Until I see a frog, and I ... (turn page) JUMP! (turn page)

frog -- cat -- hound -- croc -- shark -- whale, providing a perfect start for our "WHALE of a time" story time.
Sylvester
Aug 27, 2015 rated it liked it
3* art
3* concept

The perfect book for reading aloud. You can really build up the suspense and everyone yells "JUMP!"
Maybe not just before bed, though, like we do.
Katy
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great rhyming book with lots of opportunities for interaction. Perfect for phonological awareness.
Lara
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
3+ rounded up to 4.

Story is a little simple, but it's still enjoyable. In terms of a storytime read, it's a good book to pull out. Nice rhyming pattern, clear and cute illustrations, plus a great chance for story interaction. The kids can say "jump" with each animal, or you can have them actually jump when they do, providing you have space. I've used it for storytimes on animals (you can even pull it out for storytimes on specific animals if you want), but I especially like it for my "wiggly
Tara McKenzie
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
In the book there are a series of animals of increasing sizes. It starts out with smaller animals and each time a bigger animal is introduced, the smaller animal jumps.

In this book the pictures are colorful, and would keep a child's attention.
There is also little wording on each each page that makes this book easy for kindergarten students.

This book would work best in a classroom when teaching students sequences of events.

Brianna Clark
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book contained lots of repetition and rhyming and would be a great fit for younger children. It also creates some suspense and will have the kids on the edge of their seat waiting to shout "Jump!" with the story.
Mely
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
We loved this book. It's fun and a great way to get your little ones to participate in the read aloud. Bright bold graphics make this appealing to the little ones. Great way to learn sight word JUMP. We'll be reading this one again.
John Yelverton
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
It is a silly little children's book about animals that jump and chase after each other with each page being a larger animal than the last. The book is also written in both English and Spanish, like those IKEA directions.
June
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to June by: Lizzie and Shoshana
I ended up going with Jump, Frog, Jump! since I was more familiar with it. However, I might need to try this at some time.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
A storytime classic, and easy to incorporate movement into! Each animal is confronted by a larger, scarier animal and jumps away from them. Would work for a frog theme, or I'm sure you could find a way to make it work in many others.
H
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Short read I read for kids. Reminds me of a kid's story my mom told me as a child of a mouse eaten by a cat eaten by a dog, etc til the elephant was scared by a mouse, repeating the cycle.

I like the rhymes and illustrations and would've liked it more as a kid.
Pure fun with lots of repetition for the little ones during story time.
Olivia Slykhuis
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a cute, funny, repetitive story about animals running away from one another. I think kids would like the repetition and the funny pictures. Will use for frog storytime.
Samantha
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Very fun read for preschoolers
Heather
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent for babies, toddlers, preschoolers, etc. We love a good jump!
Edward Sullivan
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Excellent read aloud choice.
Patti Pylant
Borrow
Anthony
A tale told using rhyme of the action taken by animals to escape a much larger preditor on the prowl.
Beronica
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great for an all-age storytime!!!! It really does help to "jump" around!
Magpie67
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great outdoor book for children with loads of energy to use up for the day. See how far they can jump, have a contest. Teach them leap frog...
Harvey
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun and clever book that we both enjoyed laughing at.
Kayla Long
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My kids favorite book as little ones.
Michelle Halber
Perfect for Toddler or Preschool Storytime. Interactive, rhyming, vocabulary, can add rhythm.
Milton Louie
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
See some animals jump! B
Brittany
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is one of those repetitive dialogue types that gets old fast. I'm not a fan. The writing could certainly have been better and there was nothing standout about the illustrations.
Lauren Salisbury
This was a fun and simple read with great bold illustrations. The book follows a bug, then a frog, and soon even a shark being startled enough to JUMP!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Dancing Feet!
  • The Doghouse
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Clip-Clop
  • It's a Tiger!
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Peek-a-Moo!
  • Duck on a Bike
  • Just Because
  • Bark, George
  • Because
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Truman
  • Go Away, Big Green Monster!
  • Where Is the Green Sheep?
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)