Start by marking “So Many Days” as Want to Read:
So Many Days

So Many Days

You are stronger than you know. You are wilder than you know.You are braver than you know. And you are capable of more than you could ever imagine. Life is full of surprises, big and small, both along the roads we take and where these winding paths eventually lead us. So Many Days will remind you to notice all the joy and love along the way, because it's all there, helping ...more
Published January 5th 2010 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about So Many Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So Many Days

babyhippoface
Dec 17, 2009 babyhippoface rated it liked it
There's no real story here, just poetic text encouraging a child to dream and do, reminiscent of Dr. Seuss's Oh, the Places You'll Go! Taeeun Yoo's digitally-manipulated linocuts of a little girl going about her day with her dog are nice, with large blocks of blues and greens, and a cozy feel to some of the pages. Overall, this reminds me of a book people might give a teenager for high school graduation. Not much too it other than, "Hey, you never know what you can achieve, we love you, so get o ...more
Linda
Apr 15, 2010 Linda added it
Shelves: kids
It's always amazing when something so simple can convey so much meaning with so little ado. So Many Days is one of those special books. Quiet and calming, especially in its repetition, it encourages children to hold on to their curiosity and sense of wonder as they grow and begin to branch out into the world at large. The beautifully tinted, whimsical illustrations do much to transmit the meaning of the poetry. Explore, experience, and be careful but not afraid. Isn't that the message most of us ...more
Donalyn
The refrain, "Who will you be and where will you go? And how will you know?" provides a foundation for this book about the challenges we face in life and the qualities we have that support us. Wonderful for teaching metaphor. Read the text and then picture walk the illustrations a second time.
Gayle Swift
Jun 14, 2016 Gayle Swift rated it it was amazing
Allison McGhee collaborated on So Many Days with illustrator Taeen Yoo to create a lovely tale of encouragement, possibility, and affirmation. A refrain that repeats throughout text asks, “Who will you be and where will you go? And how will you know?” This invitation to consider one’s life dream is then followed by important advice, “Words will open your heart and kindness will open your soul.”
Yoo’s detailed illustrations embody these wise words and depict the child’s diminutive size in a way th
Alice
Aug 24, 2012 Alice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-it
I don't usually give books 5 stars. It has to have something different or special- this has both. I read it twice just to capture the essence of it. Not only are there encouraging words, you could look through just the pictures and get a whole new perspective of the story. It is an easy reader and even though the artwork isn't the most amazing thing I have ever seen, the thought that went into the pictures are great! I really liked this book!
Kristen
Mar 26, 2010 Kristen rated it liked it
This is one of those "great picture books for grown-ups". The writing is flowy and lovely:
"You are earth that hungers for sun.
You are song that longs to be sung.
You are loved more than you know."
It's all about the possibilities, the doors that open in every day. The art is simple and clean - and most kids I know wouldn't get it. I'd buy it for one of my adult girlfriends, but only the sensitive, poetic child will sit still for this book more than once.
Melissa
Nice rhythm to the verse and chorus, very prayer-like, with broad, general, inspirational phrases. A sweet book for adults and teens, definitely. And I think children might enjoy looking at all the very specific activities depicted in the illustrations, but I'm not sure telling a young child that they are "braver/stronger/wilder than they know" is something that ultimately makes a lot of sense to their concrete, pragmatic selves.
Denise
Apr 27, 2010 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a beautiful book about the potential in all of us, no matter the age. The illustrations indicate a small child, but really, this speaks to anyone needing some inspiration, trying to find their way in the world. The concept is rather deep for young children, I think this book would actually make a great high school/college graduation gift.
Jana
This book would be a nice one for a parent to share with a child, perhaps at bedtime. The rhythmic text gently celebrates all of the choices and opportunities that are possible in life. The illustrations, rendered as limo cuts and then manipulated digitally, are just lovely and accompany the text nicely.
Foxytocin
One of those precious, precocious books written for children about possibilities and dreams, growing up, potential.....most definitely way over the head of the average child (and many adults too), but a content well worth sharing because it kicks the listening mind into gear, so to speak.
Aboslutely love Taeeun Yoo's illustrations...simple and sweet, they are a delight.
Bayleigh Garrett
Feb 23, 2016 Bayleigh Garrett rated it liked it
I think this book had a theme to teach children to be confident and believe they can do anything they want. I think this is a good inspirational book. The story is put into simple terms so young children can enjoy it as well. It would be good for ages 4-7.
Lartemis
Mar 22, 2013 Lartemis rated it liked it
A nice book, but probably not one I'd buy for my grandchildren. It would be good for a children's sermon or other spiritual event.

This author is coming to the Fox Cities Reads 2013 event. I plan to go see her, so want to read some of her books.
Annajune
Apr 17, 2015 Annajune rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
This falls in with the "Oh the Places you will go" and "I love you this much." Simply tells of how you have so many days in your life and so many choices and ending with the statement: "You are loved more than you know."
Gwen the Librarian
Jan 22, 2010 Gwen the Librarian rated it it was ok
Shelves: picturebooks
Taeeun Yoo is becoming one of my favorite illustrators; I just love the linocut blocks she uses and how very old-fashioned her lovely books look. Sadly, I am not at all a fan of Alison McGhee's text here. It's just kind of trite and blah and not at all for children.
Dolly
Feb 19, 2010 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
A poetic romp through forests and gardens, oceans and puddles, this book is simple, short, yet very uplifting and soothing. We enjoyed this book, especially the ending: You are loved more than you know.
Sandybear76
I had to read this one a couple times to rally appreciate it. It is on the list to read to 1st graders nest week. I like the lines You are braver than you know, and you are wilder than you know. Great illustrations with movement across the pages.
Yoo Kyung Sung
Nov 13, 2014 Yoo Kyung Sung rated it liked it
So many doors in all you days, so much to wonder about..

So many days are not math concepts but nature of youth and childhood. childhood, time, and doors to open.
Jake Yaniak
Oct 21, 2013 Jake Yaniak rated it liked it
A bit repetitive, but otherwise this book was a pleasant read. Some interesting ideas to make you think while you are reading it - more than you can say about most children's books.
Jen
Nov 07, 2012 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: pb, poetry
inspirational children's poem set to many pictures. It was ok.
Marge
Mar 23, 2010 Marge added it
Shelves: picture-books
positive - who will you be and where will you go - for the younger set
Cyne-Burh
Oct 07, 2014 Cyne-Burh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tinky
this book is so great-- I enjoyed reading it to my daughter and felt that it told something great for ones soul. very inspirational.
Mark Zaino
Feb 01, 2013 Mark Zaino rated it it was amazing
A very Beautiful book. With simple illustrations and a moving poem, this book can provide a great inspiration to any young reader.
Eduardo Baskervill
Nov 22, 2016 Eduardo Baskervill rated it really liked it
A poetic and inspirational book about the wonders of who we are and where we'll go. I think I liked it more than my daughter.
Rachel
Dec 12, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Oh. So sweet. Would have cried (and almost did) had I not been at work..
Vanessa
Jul 16, 2010 Vanessa rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations, message is wonderful but the delivery fell a little short. But I loved the positive outlook she is trying to convey to children.
Madison
Jul 14, 2014 Madison rated it it was amazing
For everyone!
Mary Librarian
Jan 26, 2010 Mary Librarian rated it it was ok
This book tries to be like Dr. Seuss "Oh the Place You'll Go" but falls short.
Lisa
Apr 29, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it
Something to give as a graduation present.
Krissy
DELIGHTFUL.
Erin
Feb 25, 2010 Erin rated it it was amazing
This book is a treasure!!!My 5 years old daughter and I love to read it over and over~
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • In Front of My House
  • My Uncle Emily
  • When You Were Small
  • Huck Runs Amuck!
  • Harriet, You'll Drive Me Wild!
  • Toot & Puddle: Let It Snow
  • One Drowsy Dragon
  • Questions, Questions
  • The Good Garden: How One Family Went from Hunger to Having Enough
  • Amazing Cows: Udder Absurdity for Children
Alison McGhee is the award-winning author of picture books, poems, and novels for all ages, including the young adult novel ALL RIVERS FLOW TO THE SEA and the #1 NEW YORK TIMES bestseller SOMEDAY, illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds. Alison McGhee lives in Minnesota.
More about Alison McGhee...

“Air you breathe holds the breath of all things.” 1 likes