Start by marking “Zebrafish” as Want to Read:
Zebrafish

Zebrafish

Vita is a purple-haired singing queen, and she has big dreams for her rock group, Zebrafish. But when she holds auditions for the back-up band, tryouts are sorely lacking in the musical ability department. Luckily her new bandmates—Walt, Tanya, Jay, and Plinko—have other talents. But lately Tanya has been missing a lot of rehearsals. When Vita discovers why, she realizes t ...more
Published May 4th 2010 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Zebrafish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zebrafish

Melissa Chung
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars! This was a cute middle grade. It has a great message. The only thing is that it was a bit all over the place.

Vita is a teen? Maybe a Freshman, I can't tell and she is going to a new school. She lives with her older brother who is a Doctor at a local hospital doing research on the Zebrafish. The fish that Dr. Pablo (Vita's brother) is studying are mutants and they do not go from clear-see through fish to opaque fish when they grow up, so Pablo is able to study the way they make blood i
Valeria Ambriz
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book it was so mean because they saw a dark house and they wanted to go inside but they didn't know if it was scary so one of the boys sended his little sister to go inside a dark house and she screamed because their was a lot of scary things and then the boy and his friends went inside to get the boys sister and then they got scared because they saw scary things.
Jill Kenna
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute book about starting a band and dealing with friends who are sick. I thought this one pretty good if really short.
Senator
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A light, but endearing concept that adds charming illustrations and fun dialogue. Perfect read for those who love any comics by Raina Telgemeier.
Angie
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Title: Zebrafish
Intermediate
Briefly evaluate the use of text and images for each book. Describe a possible application and audience for each book.

I love Zebrafish! The illustrations will appeal to the 10-15 year old students this book is geared towards. The text is laid out in speech bubbles, but some times the bubbles are missing and the text is simply floating on the page. This might be confusing to some readers. I let my 9-year-old daughter read it and she simply said “I had to read a little
Nancy Kotkin
Story: 3 stars
Art: 3 stars

Graphic novel about a group of kids who start a band to raise funds for a hospital to buy some equipment needed for leukemia research. I assumed the kids were in middle school, but there is a mention of "junior year," so I guess these characters are in high school. They act too young for high school students. I think this book would appeal to middle schoolers. The art style is also geared to that age group.

It's a good idea for a book, but the story needed to be fleshed
Banti
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought Zebrafish by Peter Reynolds was a good book. In the book, four kids go to a band audition who have no musical talent. The person who wanted to form a band (Vita) is really mad, but the other kids grow on her and they become friends. They decide to do an event to help others. In Zebrafish the main character is Vita. Vita is short, has purple hair, plays guitar and lives with her brother Walt. She also really wants a dog and to be in a band. At the beginning of the story, she doesn't hav ...more
Joey Parisik
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
i thought this comic was amazing, especially because of the idea of seeing someone achieve there goal even if its not for there own benefit, but for the benefit of the well being of others weather you know them or not. the art in this is very cartoon like, but it has enough detail in it to get there message across. i would recommend this book to anyone, because the story was told so well and with such a demanding presence. there is nothing that could make this book better. i would say that this ...more
Andy
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Ah, the intentions are good, and the characters and story are appealing, but...there isn't actually enough plot or characterization for this graphic novel to be truly engaging. Also, the concert at the end, which is supposed to be the climax, is simply flat - obviously one can't hear the music, and the video art in the background never shows up, so that leaves us with the lyrics: "Stick to it!/Success don't happen quick/Stick to it!/ Shake it up!/Give life a kick!"...Um, no.
Raina
Sep 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovel, realistic, j
Group of kids create a "virtual band" in which one kid plays an instrument and the others contribute to a short film to play behind her. A little strange, and a little shallow. But I appreciate the efforts toward encouraging kids to contribute positively to the world. The illustrations are colorful and engaging. Just didn't fall in love.
Carrie
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
I appreciate the premise of this "music saves cancer" graphic novel, but the execution is a little fuzzy. The cartoon artwork fits the mood, but some sections are confusing to follow as the action quickly jumps from character to character.
Phoebe
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it
A sweet and unusual graphic novel that's a bit hard to follow, but not less a good pick for young readers. The illustrations are charming and sometimes surprising, the cast is multi-cultural, and the storytelling is sparse, clever, and funny. Nicely done.
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
I like how it's about friendship.
Leslie
Zebrafish as written by Sharon Emerson & drawn by Renee Kurilla
recommended ages 7-10.

Welcome to a before-during-and-after-school special where we learn that “we can’t always get what we want,” friends and family are our greatest resource for getting what we need, and we can change the world in various and creative ways. Yep, a middle-grade offering driven by a message. But it isn’t all bad.

Zebrafish begins with the establishment of the three pairings of the six main characters whom all inter
Soobie's scared
One star means «I didn't like it». And I really didn't like it.

I mean, the message's ok but the graphic novel itself is extremely poor. It doesn't seem to tell a story: they're just random episodes put together that casually have a sort of narrative between them. The first pages were the worst: I didn't know what I was reading - I rarely re-read synopsis when I order a book on the internet - and I couldn't figure out where it was heading. Why the dog at the beginning? It only plays a teeny tiny
Alyssa
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
ZEBRAFISH is a cute book with fun illustrations and a great message. However the execution felt off for me -- the book was a little all over the place and I found it difficult to track the dialogue and action of the story. However, I think my middle schoolers might enjoy this book so I think I'll still purchase it for my collection.
Annabeth
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to read a cute, quick graphic novel
⭐⭐⭐

Cute middle grade graphic novel about a group of friends who form a band. Very quick and easy read. I enjoyed this read but it is a little all over the place- it tries to follow the plotlines of a bunch of different characters and it does some well and others leave a bit to be desired.
Alissa
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zebrafish by Peter H. Reynolds isn't your typical story about teen drama where, after reading, you feel like you spent the day running the middle school gauntlet (how exhausting!). Rather, it's a story with a purpose. And that purpose is cancer research awareness. But, unlike some other over-dramafied cancer books with uber-tragic endings, this one isn't in-your-face about it. And it's not sad either.

Actually, I didn't even know it was a cancer book when I picked it up to review. That awareness
Sadie Gregg
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very educational book on real life advents. I enjoyed the book very much!!!
Erica
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Meh. It really doesn't have a lot of content. It is like little snips of their life's over the course of almost a year. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't very in depth.
Eva G
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a graphic novel. The main character is Vita. It's really good!
Daisy Bishop
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought this book was fun and how it has a band called and named after a fish. It was really interesting to me.
Scott
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
A lot of nice things, but felt uneven
Pam Schwartz
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice story, I wish there was more of it so I would get to know the characters a little better.
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: chi-comics
Liked this comic and message but was totally confused what was going on in the beginning. I thought I had started a series part way through.
Liz
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this look at the lives of several children making a band together. Some of the characters have significant health issues. The kids seem a lot younger than they are supposed to be.
TA Flatland
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Felt very thin and flat for the topic and the opportunity it could have had....
Julie
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I love Peter Reynolds! I wish this graphic novel had a little more character development, but a good first in a series for tween readers.
Blake Biesecker
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
sad at the end
Natalie Waddell-Rutter
I think this book is targeted to a much younger audience than me, because I wanted more plot and more text on the page. Miss Adventure, on the other hand, loved the book. There were quite a few elements to the story – Vita has to make friends, and decides to do it through music. Tanya has leukemia, but that isn’t public knowledge. Vita’s mother recently died of cancer as well, so there is a strong tie between her and Tanya. We also see the kids making an effort to create and share something, rai ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Prime Baby
  • Lewis & Clark
  • Have Fun, Anna Hibiscus!
  • Amelia Earhart: This Broad Ocean
  • And Then There Were Gnomes: Book 2
  • Pieces of Georgia
  • The Sons of Liberty #1
  • Alia's Mission: Saving the Books of Iraq
  • The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Macbeth (Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue, #1)
  • Bird