Start by marking “Living with Someone Who's Living with Bipolar Disorder: A Practical Guide for Family, Friends, and Coworkers” as Want to Read:

An essential resource for anyone who has a close relationship with a person who is bipolar

This book provides a much-needed resource for family and friends of the more than 5 million American adults suffering from bipolar disorder. From psychotic behavior that requires medication to milder mood swings with disturbing ups and down, this book offers a warm and often humorous
Published January 26th 2010 by Jossey-Bass (first published 2010)

Be the first to ask a question about Living with Someone Who's Living with Bipolar Disorder

Start your review of Living with Someone Who's Living with Bipolar Disorder: A Practical Guide for Family, Friends, and Coworkers
Lika
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mental-health
This is a great starting platform for mental health read.
The book explains in a simple language what BD is about, its history, its heredity. The book is supported with great deal of examples from real life, online help sources and communities, as well as hot lines.
There are lots of resources mentioned to keep reading and keep being educated.
I do like how Supporting Strategies and Conflict Management were described in a nutshell.
It is not an exhausting explanation (it can't be in 300 pages),
Adam Calvert
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great resource of resources for - get this - living with someone who's living with Bipolar Disorder. :) It really is a great book with very useful information. I highly recommend it even for those who actually have Bipolar Disorder so they can understand a little bit better how their loved one's perspective is as their own symptoms surface.
Angela
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book educating on bipolar disorder and how to manage living with someone who is bipolar. It has very easy to understand facts and step by step guidelines.
Jon Moskal
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was diagnosed at 42 years of age. I wished it was 25. This book was a life saver to my marriage.
Lilith
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
This book brings a lot of insight into bipolar disorder and how to relate to a person with it. Reading the book challenged my norms. For example, I'm used to holding people responsible for managing their own emotions; however, a person with BD suffers from mood swings and other ways that BD affects their emotions. This book encourages a more supportive approach by giving practical help. It tells the kind of resources and common treatments, as well as ways that an individual can help (rather than ...more
Mike
Apr 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked "Bipolar Disorder: A Guide for the Newly Diagnosed" better than this book, but mostly because it was short and sweet. This book is longer, but contains pretty much the same information. It is, as the title implies, somewhat more directed toward people who live with people with BD. Adding to the length of the book are little passages titled "Living with BD" that purport to be stories of real people dealing with partners with BD. They seemed anecdotal to me, but some folks may find them he ...more
Tiffany
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it
This had a lot of good information in it, but it's not exactly what I was looking for. I wanted coping strategies and tips about triggers and lifestyle. This did have some of that but a large majority talked about the history of bipolar, brain chemistry, getting a diagnosis, choosing a therapist, how to inform friends and family that you are bipolar, and pages of information about different drugs used (or that shouldn't be used) to treat the illness. All interesting stuff (sort of), but not much ...more
Mark
May 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Helpful but not particularly compelling book on living with someone who suffers with Bipolar 1 or 2 (but primarily 1). Much of the information I'd read in other places; I most appreciated the personal stories which helped me either (a) feel like I wasn't alone, or (b) reminded me that we could be a lot worse off than we are.
Ledia
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have a few friends with this disorder.It really helped my understand the Bipolar Disorder better. It can really help me defuse a situation if it happens. I can also spot the signs better too. This book really makes me care more about these people.
Meril
Apr 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, r
It's probably OK for what it's for, which is for people whose partners have BP; the background info on the disorder is useful but there's not a lot of advice for people living with people not their romantic partners.
Doug Barnett
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very good book with good insight. I recommend reading if you live with or know someone who is bipolar.
Jacqui Jacoby
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good presentation of the difficult subject.
Jerrilynn Lilyblade
Jun 28, 2013 marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Randy Rudeen
Aug 18, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The History of England, Volume I
  • The Interpersonal Problems Workbook: ACT to End Painful Relationship Patterns
  • The 10 Best-Ever Anxiety Management Techniques: Understanding How Your Brain Makes You Anxious and What You Can Do to Change It
  • Grace
  • Galveston: A History of the Island
  • The What's Happening to My Body? Book for Boys: A Growing Up Guide for Parents and Sons
  • Barefoot Contessa Foolproof: Recipes You Can Trust
  • With Malice Toward None: A Biography of Abraham Lincoln
  • Stop, Think, Go, Do: How Typography and Graphic Design Influence Behavior
  • Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking
  • Chinaberry Sidewalks
  • A Fighting Chance
  • Existential Psychotherapy
  • Adult Coloring Book: Stress Relieving Patterns
  • More Sales, Less Time: Surprisingly Simple Strategies for Today's Crazy-Busy Sellers
  • The Challenger Customer: Selling to the Hidden Influencer Who Can Multiply Your Results
  • Every Man's Bible NIV
  • The Compelling Communicator: Mastering the Art and Science of Exceptional Presentation Design

News & Interviews