Start by marking “Real Fast Food” as Want to Read:
Real Fast Food

Real Fast Food

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  1,132 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Nigel Slater's "Real Fast Food" is an inspirational collection of 350 enticing recipes such as Grilled Blue Cheese Chicken Sandwich and Wholewheat Pasta with Sausage, Mustard and Caramelized Onions: recipes with simple techniques and assertive flavors that can be completed in under 30 minutes and sometimes half that time, a cookbook for busy people who can't bear another t ...more
Published by Epenguin (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Real Fast Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Real Fast Food

Lee Broderick
Jul 27, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
I confess, I'm not a fan of Nigel Slater. There, I've said it. The ultimate taboo of the 21st century British food lover. In truth, I've never managed to watch more than about five minutes of his television programs; I find his persona smug and, predictably for someone who expends so much energy in extolling the virtues of 'unpretentious' food, pretentious.

Coincidentally, one of those five minutes was just the other day. In this show he was interviewing Richard Briers, an actor that I, like many
Manik Sukoco
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is an amazing book. The recipes focus on fresh ingredients and meals that can be made (mostly) in half an hour or less. I borrowed Real Fast Food from a friend and found myself entranced by the straightforward writing of a man who enjoys food and knows that simple, speedy cooking is a boon to many households. I particularly like the fact that his recipes are often for 1 or 2 people (ingredients can of course be multiplied for more eaters). I have often cooked just for myself and recipes usual ...more
Martha Love
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have an old edition of this book (1993) and have had it and used it for some years. I love Nigel's superior use of herbs in cooking throughout his recipes in this book. Using his book is an excellent way to learn about herbs for taste in dishes. Also, I enjoyed making and adding to my family's diet the Grilled Peppers with Balsamic Vinegar and Basil! It took me a couple of tries to get them to look nice, but I finally got down the Eggs Baked in Tomatoes and it is delicious!

Martha Love
author o
Rebecca
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, especially students and vegetarians
I would recommend this cookbook to anyone! The meal ideas are really really quick and simple, with lots of variations on certain themes... unlike Jamie's 30 Minute Meals, which need to be planned for and raced through to take place in 30 mins, it is very do-able in Real Fast Food- I'm not a quick cook but Nigel's simple instructions meant I could have tasty food ready in about 20-30 minutes.

This is a book for everyone but I especially recommend it to students, as I am- I enjoy cooking but doing
Feb 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, cookbooks
A British friend sent this to me a couple of years ago and it has been an absolute lifesaver. I use it all the time, at least once a week if not three or four! Although I enjoy the act of cooking, it's not something I feel particularly adept in or secure with yet (having only really started, in a big way, this past year). This is a great book for making practical meals, regularly, without a whole lot of experience under your belt.

Slater's book has a variety of really tasty, easy-to-understand re
Carly
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culinary
So, it must be said that Nigel Slater seems like a relatively pretentious dick, and I don't much like him. If you are looking for someone who cooks simple meals with great flavor and ingredients, but who also has loads of general expertise when it comes to food, cooking and life, I'd stick with Nigella Lawson, who is by far the more intelligent, engaging and likable of the two.

That said, I loved many of the recipes in this book and, yes, I did read it cover-to-cover, as one might a novel. If you
Bittersweet
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookery
So much more than just recipes .. a collection of ideas that cover any occasion. A small book that has travelled everywhere with me on family holidays and has fed us well.
Raelene
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The format of the cookbook was novel like so I read it as so! It's made my favourite cookbook shelf next to my oven so It's a safe bet I liked it - used it twice already.
Jennifer Krueger
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kirsty McCracken
I adore Nigel Slater. I get excited when his show is on TV so I jumped at the chance to pick up this book. And it's as full of glorious recipes as I'd hoped it would be. As well as glorious commentaries too. 5⭐ even though I once again haven't tried any of the dishes in here, I'd be happy to say they'll be great. ...more
Quails Magpies
Unlike other authors who provide recipes only, Nigel Slater weaves various tips and anecdotes into his cookbook. He is very vocal about his likes (e.g. mashed potatoes) and dislikes (e.g. whole turkeys).
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a total fast food gem. Slater was ahead of his time with pushing fresh ingredients simply prepared - there are hundreds of recipes in here. And he really explains the food, why things work together, and what to look for when shopping.

While there are newer takes on this idea by other chefs and writers, Slater's thoroughness and attention to detail, and creativity really stand out. I love the cheese suppers section, but will probably use the fish and shellfish sections most. I'd love
Deb
Mar 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks, re-reading
Spending six months cooking along with Nigel Slater for a weekly food blog event (I Heart Cooking Clubs), I had to go back and add a review to this book after rating it back in 2010 because I have spent so much time with it lately. For me, the only thing that stops it from being a 5 star is the lack of pictures but this small paperback (mine is old, picked up from a used book store several years ago) is an essential part of my cookbook collection. I grab it whenever I need inspiration for a quic ...more
Tim
Aug 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a great fan of Nigel Slater, but I'm not sure this book will appeal to his apparent target reader.
Someone who is prepared to spend only 30 minutes preparing and cooking a meal, and I've done it frequently and eaten well, is unlikely in my opinion to read through 350 recipes from which to choose.
When one of my sons was part time college, part time job and living in a shared house, I used to take him shopping in a vast supermarket nearby. Although the large town centre had many good food shop
Anne
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook, 2015
This is a practical cookbook. It assumes you're likely to be home after a long day and trying to figure out what to do with a can of tuna, two eggs, and half a package of spaghetti. This unassuming book will help.

Mr. Slater says this cookbook came from an unlikely place: a decade or so of collecting tasty, fast dishes plus people who were willing to provide both guidance and encouragement in turning that collection into a book. The resulting book (his first) tends to be story driven, and as a r
Rachel
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, 2015
I confess I haven't finished this or tried any of the not-quite-recipes, but I'm giving it 4 stars because it fits in so well with my philosophy of cooking (nothing like preaching to the choir to earn a good review).

I say "not-quite-recipes", but he does actually write out recipes with quantities--but he's quite open about them really only being suggestions, which I think is how most people cook anyway.

This reminded me a little of M.F.K. Fisher, if she set out strictly to write out cooking instr
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/914452.html[return][return]It's been a real inspiration to me this holiday; the concept is a very straightforward one, cooking really tasty meals reasonably quickly. I can't say that it always took me less than half an hour to do the recipes, but the results were worth it. Slater encourages experimenting, and this evening's meal was my substition of stewed leek instead of fennel in his pork and lemon dish. All very yummy.
Mycala
I bought this book shortly after adding it to my "to read" list and it's one of those I use on an almost weekly basis. The recipes are simple -- a few good-quality ingredients that are easily thrown together to make extraordinary meals. I love this book. I seek it like it's an oracle and it has never steered me wrong. Nigel is a culinary genius. As you can see, I could go on and on but I think you get the idea.
Margaret
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a cookery book which I will use a lot. Simple recipes, not too many ingredients and a narrative which inspires you to base your cooking on the food that you already have in the fridge or larder. Slater continually tweaks his recipes according to what he has available - it makes you, the reader, feel confident to follow his example. A good buy.
Colleen
Aug 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my very favorite cookbooks. I picked this up in England when I was looking for something to read and loved it. I really like Nigel's philosophy towards food. Down to earth real meals you would actually be able to make from things that are kicking around in your cupboards. His passion for food comes through in every sentence. A great book for ideas of what to put with what.
Clare
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an awesome book. Definitely the most practical and the one I turn to most often in order to whip up an evening meal. I also love the fact that it's a smaller format, about the size of your average novel, which makes it handy if you want to take it out with you to the shops or on holiday. Practical, see!
Adriane
May 12, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this book primarily due to the format. While the recipes were good, it was difficult to look through and cook with. I prefer larger cookbooks that can be easily used while cooking, which this one just wasn't.
Clare
Jan 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have given away perhaps ten copies of this book to friends and family. It's my favourite cookbook, hands down. Whatever you have in your cupboard, Slater will help you turn it into something awesome - and fast.
Mary-Ellen Lynn
There is nothing groundbreaking here - and the whole collection is just a little too 60s/70s like for my tastes. Perhaps the book is best suited to students or to people who have little practice and experience in the kitchen...
Becca
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice writing, and the recipes can probably actually be done after work in the evenings and not have us eating at 10pm. Some of the ingredients would be quite hard to find, so I won't plan on making those, but that's not surprising given that I'm American and this is a very 'British cookbook'.
Tracey
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes to cook
Love this book - great recipes,many of which are now family standards in our house. My copy is battered and has plenty of food stains - always the sign of a much loved cookbook! Highly recommended.
Rianna Rowsell
Good for ideas, rather than individual recipes. Made me hungry, I enjoyed the writing style and most of the recipes.
Tara
Jan 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would have given it more stars if I liked meat better.
Teia Blackshear Collier
One of the classic go-tos on my shelf
Philippa
Jul 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
Love everything by Nigel, but nothing will ever beat The Kitchen Diaries.
  • Roast Chicken and Other Stories
  • River Cottage Every Day
  • Leon: Ingredients and Recipes
  • Moro: The Cookbook
  • Flavors
  • Preserves (River Cottage Handbook, #2)
  • The Flavour Thesaurus: Pairings, Recipes and Ideas for the Creative Cook
  • Beyond the Great Wall: Recipes and Travels in the Other China
  • The River Cafe Cookbook
  • Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family Recipes
  • Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking
  • French Cooking in Ten Minutes: Adapting to the Rhythm of Modern Life
  • Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen
  • The Geometry of Pasta
Nigel Slater is a British food writer, journalist and broadcaster. He has written a column for The Observer Magazine for seventeen years and is the principal writer for the Observer Food Monthly supplement. Prior to this, Slater was food writer for Marie Claire for five years. He also serves as art director for his books.

Although best known for uncomplicated, comfort food recipes presented in earl
More about Nigel Slater...