Start by marking “Beowulf the Warrior” as Want to Read:
Beowulf the Warrior

Beowulf the Warrior

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  164 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
"Beowulf the Warrior is an outstanding modern version of the oldest epic in the English language. Ian Serraillier has retold in verse the story of the hero Beowulf and his three memorable exploits--first, his rescuing of Hrothgar the Dane from the ravages of monstrous Grendel; next, his victory over Grendel's strange and horrible mother; and finally, in Beowulf's old age, ...more
Published October 13th 2004 by Bethlehem Books

To ask other readers questions about Beowulf the Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beowulf the Warrior

Hope
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I normally eschew abridged versions of famous books. On the other hand, some classics are so heavily-laden with difficult language that an abridged version is helpful in making them accessible to the average reader. I’m not averse to reading difficult books, but there are a few books that I haven’t read because the language is daunting; Beowulf is one of them. So I was delighted when I read that British novelist, Ian Serraillier had rewritten it for children.

Although told in simple language, Beo
Sonia
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Easy reading...great for younger readers and an epic adventure.
Ryan Norrell
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great version for reading aloud to younger children. Beautiful prose in accessible language that retains the ability to hold their attention. I read it to my 7 and 5 year old boys, who immediately asked if we could reread it.
Amie
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: amcm
I've read several adaptations of Beowulf, and I didn't like this one at all.
Charity
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
My daughter and I recently began volume 2 of Susan Wise Bauer's The Story of the World homeschool history curriculum. This retelling of Beowulf was recommended in those materials, and I am so glad we picked it up. The verse is powerful but accessible to children, and the illustrations really add to the atmosphere of the stories.

My daughter's not much into battles and heroics (she prefers books about animals), but even she enjoyed this version of the Beowulf tales. She read it on her own and then
Timothy McNeil
I can understand why the more recent Heaney translation was met with a large amount of joy if this is how the tale had been handled. Not that it is bad. It is suitable for middle schoolers and such, but it has an awkward feel of trying too hard to hold onto the the 'flowery' language while being accessible to a more modern audience. I only wish the illustrations has been presented as woodcuts.
Joshua Nuckols
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recently reread. Loved the poetic readability of this one. Good one to read aloud.

"I read this version when I was a kid...nothing spectacular--then. Recently read Seamus Heaney's and it was great. Maybe this translation deserves a rereading."
LuAnn
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
A well-done abridgement that makes Beowulf approachable by kids and others who wouldn't read the longer translation. Retains the sense of the original. My old Scholastic Books version has great woodcut illustrations.
Paige
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
Not the absolute best version, but it's an easier version, which worked well for my easier senior class. I just love the story of Beowulf and discussing epics, epic heroes, and the hero's journey. This version has some pretty unique illustrations, which students always love.
Neil Munday
May 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
excellent . the telling of a tale that facinates.
R.
Mar 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Not as good as Seamus Heaney's, but enjoyable. A particularly nice format.
Artifice Magazine
Mar 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rebekah
Not as good as Seamus Heaney's, but enjoyable. A particularly nice format.
Guenevere
Not as exciting as other translations, but shorter and easier for some students.
Madeline
Jan 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure
I loved this tale. This Epic was exciting, and had beautiful writing style.
Leandra
This old tale is such a treasure! I am so glad it was preserved all these years and I think that Beowulf and Wiglaf are the embodiment of courageous and selfless heroism.
Bill
Jan 31, 2012 rated it liked it
I pre-read this before I read it to my sons. It has been 27 years since I read a version of Beowulf. I enjoyed reading it and will probably read it to my sons in the next couple of weeks.
Madame Reads
Sep 07, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • In Search of a Homeland: The Story of the Aeneid
  • Beorn the Proud
  • The Friendly Book (Big Little Golden Book)
  • Sally and the Purple Socks
  • LEGO Man in Space: A True Story
  • Too Many Dinosaurs
  • Bugs Galore
  • The Last Quest of Gilgamesh (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #3)
  • Tiger Can't Sleep
  • Ben Franklin of Old Philadelphia
  • The Story of the Greeks
  • Joan of Arc
  • Michelangelo
Ian Serraillier was a British novelist and poet. He was also appreciated by children for being a storyteller retelling legends from Rome, Greece and England. Serraillier was best known for his children's books, especially The Silver Sword (1956), a wartime adventure story which was adapted for television by the BBC in 1957 and again in 1971.
He was born in London, the eldest of four children. His f
More about Ian Serraillier