Start by marking “The Nine Lives of Travis Keating” as Want to Read:
The Nine Lives of Travis Keating

The Nine Lives of Travis Keating

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  180 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Only some strange characters and a dangerous class bully seem to take any interest in Travis when he moves to a small town in Newfoundland after his mother's death. But the discovery of a colony of feral cats gives Travis a chance to put aside his own grief and anger to care for them, a decision that results in more satisfaction and more danger, than he could have ever ima ...more
Published October 11th 2009 by Fitzhenry & Whiteside (first published September 26th 2008)

Zanib  Sajjad
Aug 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this book during my grade six year (or maybe it was grade five) for a reading program (Forrest of reading). There were about ten books, and out of the ten, I inexplicably fell in love with this one. I was one of the only kids who did fall in love with it. It was around that time that I began pushing away from your typical "reads a book here and there" person, and getting into "crazy book freak" mode. I began to feel something new for books. While reading books around that time, I experien ...more
Crystal Bandel
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Nine Lives of Travis Keating by Jill MacLean, published 2009.

Realistic fiction.

Novel.

Grades 4-7.

Found via School Library Journal, reviewed by Kara Schaff Dean.

To escape reminders of his mother's death, Travis's father moves them to a small town in Newfoundland, where he'll be working as a physician. Travis isn't excited about the move, but he agrees to give it a full year. Travis immediately attracts the attention of the school bully, leaving him with no friends, until he discovers some aban
Karen Upper
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant touching story!
Jenny
Dec 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is awesome!
Canadian Children's Book Centre
Travis Keating has agreed to endure 365 days of his Dad’s experiment of moving to a tiny coastal community in Newfoundland, but he has no idea how hard it will be! On the first day of the school he meets Hud, the school’s meanest bully, who manages to alienate Travis from all the other kids. It’s not until Travis discovers a colony of feral cats that he befriends Hector and Prinny. Hector says little and loves to build things, while Prinny, not accepted by the other girls, has a tough home life ...more
NebraskaIcebergs
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Published in 2008, The Nine Lives of Travis Keating by Jill MacLean is a fairly new entry in Newfoundland fiction. Told in first person, this is the story of an experiment. The Keatings are from St. John’s but, following the death of his mom, Travis and his dad become sick of suburbia. When Travis’s dad finds a position as a doctor serving several communities on the northern peninsula, Travis agrees to an experiment of living in a tiny coastal town for one year. On Travis’s first day at Ratchet, ...more
Sathursan.K
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The book "The Nine Lives of Travis Keating" is a book about a boy named Travis who moves into a small town in Newfoundland and Labrador named "Ratchet". His dad made him go to the town for one year after Travis's mom passed away. Moving away from St.John means having to make new friends in a small town but when he finds abandon cats in a cove starving to death, Travis goes feed them without letting anyone knowing about them. Then with the help of the cats and hockey season, Travis makes new frie ...more
Anah Malik
Feb 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Travis Keating is a young boy who has moved to a new place, after his mother's death. Still mourning her and his old home, Travis stumbles upon a group of cats living in abandoned shacks. For the next few months, Travis takes care of the cats, making them his distraction from his life, and his escape.

The story of Travis is a short, sweet, and simple one. I found it very nostalgic, because of how much it reminded me of my own childhood. Just like Travis, I had found a group of cats, and fed them
Steve Vernon
The Nine Lives of Travis Keating is a lively charming tale of a fish-out-of-water in a small coastal community in Newfoundland.

Travis has agreed to "test-drive" living in the small Newfoundland community where his father grew up. He doesn't think he is ever going to learn to fit in until he figures out that friends and fitting-in can happen in a lot of unexpected ways.

The author, Jill MacLean, has really captured the voice of her character. Before the first chapter was over I felt I really knew
Sheryl
Jul 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile, cats
Travis Keating is in a funk. He and his father just moved from their home in St. Johns to a tiny village on the coast of Newfoundland, and he misses his friends. He is the target of the school bully, and all the other kids are afraid to befriend him. And his mother has died. His father is a doctor, and should have been able to save her, but didn't.

They say the best way to quit feeling sorry for yourself is to find someone else who needs your help. Travis does. He disobeys his father and goes out
Rachel
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: awesome kids and adults, animal lovers
Recommended to Rachel by: Kathy Beth
Shelves: kiddos
I had to put this book down while Honey was sick. And it took me a long time to be able to pick it back up, after she passed. I'll say again that The Nine Lives of Travis Keating reminds me a lot of Louis Sachar's Holes, where children must deal with harsh realities. I would recommend reading this book with your child (depending on their sensitivity level). Nine Lives addresses lying, bullying, poverty, abuse, death, and animal cruelty. Very well written.
Vicki
Jan 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved this story. The character, Travis Keating is a new kid who is very lonely. He is lucky he has social skills to deal with the loneliness and eventually make friends and improve other's lives including his own. He is inspiring. I especially like how Jill MacLean gave him the power to see the school bully, Hud, in a different light. Not something 12 year olds usually have the power to do. Awesome is the power of the author. Anyone reading this book would be inspired by the devotion Travis g ...more
Angela Murat
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
How is this book not well-known like it should be?

Anyway. I read this back in 7th grade, after reading the Warrior cats series (which by the way is FABULOUS). I remember enjoying it very much, the entire story line was really inspiring to me. It made me want to become a better person, in a way. Being as caring and gentle as the protagonist was to stray animals.

Did anyone catch the title? Super creative. The nine cats he takes cares of, like if they are his nine lives to look out for.

Although I
Victoria Whipple
While the book had a rather slow start, once it got going it was a good story. Travis is a 12 year old boy who has recently moved to a small town with his father shortly after experiencing the death of his mother. Being the new kid in middle school does not make him popular, so he has time to explore on his own. He explores places he shouldn't go and discovers some things that will bring new direction to his life as well as new friends.
Ann
Oct 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous book, and so unlike the usual things that I like to read. I spent all day today looking forward to finishing it, and just did about half an hour ago. Now I can't wait for the sequel to come in at the library...

What I will recommend most about this book is how thoroughly sucked in I was. I was honestly gasping at some parts, like, how much worse can things possibly get for poor Travis?

This is such a well-written, wonderful book. I just loved it.
Shawna Spinks
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book is so good! It's a great fit for my classroom library. It will be well suited to the kids who are bullied, shy, new to the area, misfits, or well rounded and just plain feeling like an insecure teenager. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the Present Tense of Prinny Murphy, a character who was introduced in this book but who has her own story to tell. Bravo Jill MacLean!
Holly
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ultimate-reads
Thank you Alan who reminded me of the name of this book via bookchats. All of you in STS Leaders group by Hannah can see the questions and chats I've started, please answer them! :) Anyway I think people who like animal books and fiction type books SHOULD READ THIS. Its not like warriors as far as I know... But its really gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood
Heather
I absolutely adored Travis. One of my favorite scenes in the book is when Travis is trying to convince Prinny's dad about her birthday present. I love how people respond to Travis, and I love the growth and development of his character. I am excited to read Prinny's story next.
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
A YA fiction book that I chose for it's cover because I like cats. It was about a twelve year old boy who rescued some cats as a way to deal with the challenges in his life he was facing. I thought it came together very nicely in the end and had a happy ending, as YA books should.
Tina
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, paperback
I originally bought this book because the boy in the story has the same name as my son and a few other common factors that fit into my life. It was a quick read and the story was touching. I really did enjoy it. :)
Peggy
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book quite a bit, I was reading it as a potential candidate for a middle school Battle of the Books, and will recommend it for that. The characters are pretty well developed, nobody is just one-dimensional.
Karolina
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-this-book
It was good
Vicki
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j-contemporary
Love this trilogy that focuses on bullying in a small town in Newfoundland. Realistic well rounded characters and believable solutions.
Christina
Jun 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
cool
Rivkah
No This. No that. Rules rules rules! Travis's life if full of rules. And a bully. And cats. Starving cats. He always wanted a dog. Not half-starving cats!
Ecila
May 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
ONE OF THE SILVER BIRCH BOOKS!
S.A.D CUZ I LOVE KITTINS!
Beyond Words
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is quite some book. While reading it, you just felt multiple emotions and was being pulled all around them.
Susie Lou
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for all who love cats.
John
Mar 25, 2010 rated it liked it
very well done
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Neil Flambé and the Marco Polo Murders (The Neil Flambé Capers #1)
  • Greener Grass
  • The Secret Deepens (Grim Hill, #2)
  • The Pot That Juan Built
  • War Brothers
  • Ballet for Martha: Making Appalachian Spring
  • Fanatics (Garnet and Raphaella, #2)
  • My Mother Is a French Fry and Further Proof of My Fuzzed-Up Life
  • Amelia Earhart: The Legend of the Lost Aviator
  • Jolted: Newton Starker's rules for survival
  • Pigboy
  • August Moon
  • Shaken
  • The Gravesavers
  • Torn from Troy (Odyssey of a Slave #1)
  • Dogs of War
  • Circle, Square, Moose
  • Word Nerd
Late in 2003, Jill MacLean’s eight-year-old grandson asked her to write him a book. Yes, she said, of course I will. She didn’t stop to think that she’d never written a kids’ book, and hadn’t read any for more years than you’d care to know.

The learning curve was as steep as a small mountain, and rejection slips flew like snowflakes.

But in 2008, The Nine Lives of Travis Keating was published, follo