Start by marking “The Challenge of Easter” as Want to Read:
The Challenge of Easter

The Challenge of Easter

Why do we celebrate Easter? Lost among the colored eggs and chocolate candies is Easter's bold, almost unbelievable claim: Jesus has risen from the dead, and now everything is different.

In this excerpt from The Challenge of Jesus, takes a step back from the hoopla surrounding Easter to look at it in its earliest context, where we see a band of followers discovering the ful
Published December 4th 2009 by IVP Books

To ask other readers questions about The Challenge of Easter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Challenge of Easter

Tamara Murphy
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've almost memorized it. It's that good. Wright was able to affirm my lifetime of appreciation for the rescue from a doomed eternity, Christ brought through His life, death, burial and resurrection, while at the same time expand my imagination to the way that resurrection changes my perspective in the here and now. His premise is that the resurrection enlivens us in the here and now, teaches us a new way to be human. To be kingdom-announcers in this present day.

More of this review at my blog: h
Debbie
Apr 13, 2010 rated it liked it
"The Challenge of Easter" was written by a New Testament historian who's also a bishop (in the Eastern Orthodox Church, I think). This book is more for professing Christians than unbelievers. The author assumed the reader would agree with him and so didn't give much actual evidence to back up his claims.

He mainly focused on how the Jewish disciples of Jesus would have viewed his resurrection and how they would have understood the phrase "the kingdom of God." Referring to the Bible (mainly 1 Cori
Bryon
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As Easter approaches, the perfect little resource to equip yourself to have an intelligent conversation about human history's most significant event is now available. Adapted from N.T. Wright's the Challenge of Jesus, the Challenge of Easter is a quick read at only 62 pages long. If you have an hour and a half to put into boning up on the historical facts surrounding the resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth, this book is for you.

Wright makes the case that the church would never have existed if Chri
Juli
Apr 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
This was a just a teaser as far as I'm concerned. The length of this one may be a plus to some but I think it comes with a price. The short length (62 pages) and brevity of the book doesn't allow Wright to dive as deep into the claims made nor does it give the reader the chance to experience the level of engagement that I believe Wright offers in other books. I would recommend reading Simply Christian or Surprised By Hope rather than this one.
John Hanscom
May 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
More of a pamphlet than a book, but excellent.
Dave Pettengill
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very good intro into some of NT Wrights writings. Even though this a small book it has so many powerful moments for its readers to reflect on.
Kyle Deeter
Patrick M.
Jan 09, 2011
Miles Barnes
Jun 08, 2017
N. T. Wright is the former Bishop of Durham in the Church of England (2003-2010) and one of the world's leading Bible scholars. He is now serving as the chair of New Testament and Early Christianity at the School of Divinity at the University of St. Andrews. He has been featured on ABC News, Dateline NBC, The Colbert Report, and Fresh Air, and he has taught New Testament studies at Cambridge, McGi ...more
“We live, therefore, between Easter and the consummation, following Jesus Christ in the power of the Spirit and commissioned to be for the world what he was for Israel, bringing God's redemptive reshaping to our world.

Christians have always found it difficult to understand and articulate this, and have regularly distorted the picture in one direction or the other.

[ ... ]

When God does what God intends to do, this will be an act of fresh grace, of radical newness. At one level it will be quite unexpected, like a surprise party with guests we never thought we would meet and delicious food we never thought we would taste. But at the same time there will be a rightness about it, a rich continuity with what has gone before so that in the midst of our surprise and delight we will say, 'Of course! This is how it had to be, even though we'd never imagined it.”
1 likes
“Our task, as image-bearing, God-loving, Christ-shaped, Spirit-filled Christians, following Christ and shaping our world, is to announce redemption to the world that has discovered its fallenness, to announce healing to the world that has discovered its fallenness, to announce healing to the world that has discovered its brokenness, to proclaim love and trust to the world that knows only exploitation, fear and suspicion.” 1 likes