Start by marking “Uneasy alliance” as Want to Read:
Uneasy alliance

Uneasy alliance

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  765 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
He had a definite eye for beauty

Meeting Torr Latime was the last thing Abby Lyndon expected from her Japanese flower-arranging class. He was dynamic, good-looking, sexy - and he created much better floral arrangements than she did! He was also the distraction Abby needed in a time of crisis, for someone was stalking her...

Discovering her plight, Torr gallantly offered to p
Mass Market Paperback, Harlequin Temptation #11, 222 pages
Published April 15th 1984 by Harlequin Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Uneasy alliance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uneasy alliance

Jane (PS)
It was better than I expected. Given everyone's reviews, I was thinking there would be a really 'dominant' scene, but whilst Torr was overbearing at times, Abby was pretty chilled about it all by the end... Some of the current PNR are just as dominant (if not more so) - it's just that because they are werewolves etc, they can get away with it. Remembering that it was a M&B from the earlier '80s etc etc etc - I thought it was pretty good.
Melanie
Hmmm... I love this author usually, but although I kind of liked Torr, I found him WAAAAAY too overbearing... I don't mind an alpha hero, but this was taking it a bit far... He walked all over the heroine, and if any man ever treated me like that I would smack him! I'd give it 2.5 stars...
Alicja
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like it. I like the mysterious and dark hero. I like crazy and colorful heroine . I love the hero cornered "the one" - definitely and slowly. I like how she slowly gave up.
BJ Rose
May 09, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I usually enjoy a JA Krentz book, but this early attempt (1984) is really bad! I'm very glad I got it as a library book.
Erina
Mar 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
baguuuuuss.....
Lisa
I knew when I picked up this book that it was old and the romance would be dated, but I still wasn't prepared for just how creepy and abusive the hero, Torr, was.

The story begins with Torr and Abby sitting next to each other in a flower arranging class. He's controlled and disciplined, she's flighty and disorganized, yet she "fascinates" him. Even though they haven't spoken more than a few polite words to each other, he decides that he's going to become her lover whether she agrees or not and go
Mary
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: don-t-read-again
I love Jayne Ann Krentz. Saying that, this has to be one of her very first books because it is not good. Let's just say she got A LOT better at writing.
Marie
One of her earlier works. The female protagonist could be a little less helpless.
Mojca
Some people have complained that this story hasn’t aged well. But, beside the “archaic” dialogue or two, I would politely disagree. Yes, the hero, Torr, was a jackass. Overbearing, dominant, possessive, didn’t take no for an answer when he knew what he wanted or thought he knew what was right. A very Alpha hero. If this story was written twenty or thirty years later as a paranormal, no one would even arch an eyebrow. But I guess, as long as the hero is some ancient immortal being (be it vampire ...more
Miki
May 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-read-again
This book one of the very worst ones I've ever read. It's a total waste of paper - someone should call Greenpeace to protest this wanton destruction of trees.

Torr and Abby meet in a Japanese flower-arranging class. Abby's arrangements are chaotic and wild. Torr's are clean and austere, a model of restraint. So, of course, they are attracted to one another. He is possessive and over-protective - she is impulsive and not to be restrained. Uh-huh. First thing he does is to tell her that if there an
Chinablue_25 West Bostedor
Ok so what this book lacked was the development of the characters and their relationship. As the reader I felt jilted at the lack of seeing their relationship bloom and evolve into something special. The man in this story is very possessive, domineering, and down right bossy. Now I can get behind that kind of a man to an extent. There was a few times the things he said and did were just a tad extreme when you take into account how much the chic was fighting him on it. Plus add to the fact that t ...more
LemonMarch
Uneasy Alliance was originally published in 1984 by Harlequin as part of their Harlequin Temptation series. As a long time fan of Jayne Ann Krentz and all of her other pseudonyms, it was interesting to read one of first books. Ms. Krentz's talent shines through in a book that while out of date in some ways, the quality of the writing is there. It was a thrill to watch the verbal back and forth between Mr. Buttoned Down Sexy aka Torr Latimer and Spunky Gal Abby Lyndon. However I had to roll my ey ...more
Angie West
The story line is good, the writing and setting is good but the hero is ABUSIVE, mentally and verbally and he alludes to physical at points throughout the book. This is probably the only book of hers that I don't like, but there it is. This is not an alpha male, this is someone you should get a restraining order against. The blurb on the older paperback I have is different and doesn't hint at any of this in the story either. It's a shame because I think with some fine tuning, some of the more of ...more
Ferne
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abby Lyndon meet Torr Latimer. Torr Latimer meet Abby Lyndon. Meeting Place: Evening class in the art of Japanese flower arrangement. That might sound like the beginning of "just another" contemporary romance. Trust me as I don't add spoilers to my reviews but this is definitely NOT any ordinary contemporary romance. Jayne Krentz is a master artist at keeping the reader on the edge of his/her seat, on the precipice of indecision about Torr Latimer. Is Torr Latimer someone Abby can trust? Is Torr ...more
Deanna
Sep 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who knew going to flower arranging class could change your life? Okay, that wasn't all that happened to change the lives of the main characters, but it was what brought them together. This fast paced book was good when it originally came out in 1984, and it is still good now. It has stood the test of time and not became outdated.

Tall, dark, serious and quiet meets flighty scatterbrain who maybe talks a little much, but trusts not much at all. Classic romance material.

Uneasy alliance was a far cr
Jessi
Feb 13, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Characters not really developed. Very much goes by the early Krentz formula. Alpha male bends female to his will and makes her enjoy it.
Abby Lyndon sells vitamins in what sounds like some sort of pyramid scheme. She meets Torr(!) Latimer in a flower arranging class. He is immediately smitten by her but she's not so sure, having previously been in a relationship with a very controlling man. Blah, blah, blah, etc., etc. they hook up. She's suddenly in love and they live happily ever after, well,
Farah
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another old book that was quite enjoyable after knowing the hero I found it pretty laughable that he takes a flower arrangement class .. I know it was more about discipline but still flowers ? it honestly had me giggling .. the man is over the top with his arrogance and controlling behavior and the heroine is a vitamin addict (never even knew that existed) well over all it lacked some things including better development in the characters and their relationship but it was still an enjoyable rea ...more
Susanna
Apr 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a shorter book with an alpha male. She's being stalked by someone and he protects her. of course, with his alpha-ness it's a bit hard to tell that what he's doing isn't just as bad but you know he's the 'good guy' which I guess makes it ok...not politically correct I don't guess but I like the story!
Maria
Enjoyable but not great. The dialogue was not up to par, although the plot was good and the characters interesting. I missed the humor generally found in Ms. Krentz's books. She did a good job, however, on differentiating between unhealthy possessiveness and jealousy and what could be perceived as understandable possessiveness and jealousy, not an easy thing to explain at any time.
Mrs.soule
This was my first Krentz novel and while I didn't like this story arc or the incredibly dominating hero who makes it his mission in life to save the heroine from her own ditziness, I did appreciate Krentz's writing and will definitely be trying some of her later books.
James M
Dec 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dram-rom-mod2
A woman has to learn to trust again after a relationship goes horribly wrong.
Hannah
Good read. For most of the book however Torr irritated me. It was not until maybe the last three pages did I actually like him. Good but not one of my favorites by Krentz.
Janice Hildreth
Good story, but like a lot of her early books, borders on stalking, dominance, scary stuff
annisa belikov casillas
uhm...cerita std...gw kurang suka nih...
Asrina Maharani
not so overwhelmed like her previous translated books. Maybe I just tired reading HQ.
Sylvia
Sep 25, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Modern
Karen Desmond
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shivauney
I knew it was from a couple of decade's ago, but this one really has aged badly. In this modern culture where we question consent, I'm afraid Torr's attitude reads as totally inappropriate.
Edistokitty
Without much backstory, we are taught how possiveness is good, if you aren't really crazy that is.
Gayle Mason
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful use of flowers throughout the book.
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Uneasy Alliance (1984) 1 1 Sep 27, 2012 01:16PM
  • To Tame the Hunter
  • Gentle Pirate
  • Whirlwind Courtship + High Energy
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...