Start by marking “Chosen for Life: The Case for Divine Election” as Want to Read:
Chosen for Life: The Case for Divine Election

Chosen for Life: The Case for Divine Election

Divine election is certainly one of the more profound--and controversial--doctrines in the Bible. Does God elect people because they believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, or does God elect people in order that they will believe in Christ? Much of the disagreement and controversy concerning this doctrine proceeds from a fundamental misunderstanding of what it means.

This is why
Published January 25th 2007 by Crossway Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Chosen for Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chosen for Life

Start your review of Chosen for Life: The Case for Divine Election
BJ
Jun 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
If you have never read a book on the doctrine of election in Holy Scripture--here is a great start. It is a shame that divine election is treated as the great debated theme and relatively unimportant to the people of God. The more I look at the church of God and God's wonderful plan for humanity the more I see that election is absolutely everywhere in the Scriptures and is an encouragement to the believers soul. De-emphasizing truths like this in the Scriptures, though for a season may seem like ...more
Janice
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
By far, this is the best book I've read on God's sovereignty and election (other than the Bible, of course). Storms presents a kind, gracious discussion, especially as he examines Arminian thought processes and objections. This is a deep book that wrestles with very important issues. Yet it is also well presented and easy to read. I don't agree with all of his theology, but do consider this book to be top notch.
Roddy
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding.
Marguerite Harrell
This is a very educational book to know the different between the view of The Arminian Concept of Election and The Calvinistic Concept of Election. When I was reading the Arminian view or concept that had me scratching my head where did they get that view that didn't line up to His Word (The Bible). When I read the Calvinistic view, I understood it very clearly and without any question of doubt I knew this view does line up to His Word. Therefore, since I read this book, I knew that I am a Calvi ...more
Mark A Powell
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
In this updated version of his 1987 tome, Storms does a noteworthy job of examining the difficult doctrines of election and predestination. What makes his effort memorable is a refusal to shy away from passages that (on the surface) seem to potentially contradict his perspective. Storms also asks pointed questions that promote careful reflection of their implications. Over-reliance on block quotations is jarring at times, but that is a minor gripe in an otherwise rich resource.
M
Aug 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: spiritual
I mainly read this book because a friend gave it to me. The premise of the book is about being elected by god for eternal salvation, and coming from a Calvinist background, which is evident from the start, the idea is that some people are elected for salvation and others aren't, seemingly so that we can all gain the experience of God's grace.
Gary M.
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Academic and yet perfectly readable. It actually allowed me to give me a credible defense of the doctrine of Election on the flight to Denver with an Arminian who was quite agitated anyone could believe such nonsense.
Ben
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wow, this subject is so tough. When I say that I'm still not completely decided on what side I stand, that is in no way a discredit to Sam Storms. This has to be the best book on the subject out there.
Steve Herreid
Mar 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fantastic defense of the Reformed view of election.
Ferry
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mind opening

Very clear on educating us about the doctrine of predestination. Brings us to adore God more, as He is the only agent in our salvation.
Phyl
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What great book! If you read this and you still don't understand the differences between Arminianism and Calvinism, there is no hope for you .
William Dicks
In short, Sam Storms wrote a very convincing book backing divine election and divine sovereignty> ...more
Zoe Scrivener
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This little book explained election (and the other facets of TULIP to a lesser degree) in a gentle, easy to understand manner. A good starting place for someone studying Calvinism vs. Arminianism.
Joel

• A People's History of the United States
  • Come Down Lord
  • What Is the Gospel?
  • The Power of the Blood Of Christ
  • The Last Days According to Jesus: When Did Jesus Say He Would Return?
  • Profiting from the Word
  • The Doctrines of Grace: Rediscovering the Evangelical Gospel
  • The Undertaking: Life Studies from the Dismal Trade
  • Gentle and Lowly: The Heart of Christ for Sinners and Sufferers
  • Sermons on the Beatitudes
  • Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices
  • You Could Have It All
  • Five Points: Towards a Deeper Experience of God's Grace
(Some early works written as C. Samuel Storms)

Sam has spent 39 years in ministry as a pastor, professor and author. He was visiting Associate Professor of Theology at Wheaton College from 2000-2004, and is currently Lead Pastor for Preaching and Vision at Bridgeway Church in Oklahoma City. He has authored 22 books and founded Enjoying God Ministries. He's a graduate of The University of Oklahoma (

News & Interviews