Start by marking “Stolen” as Want to Read:
Stolen

Stolen

Sussex, 2003

When a beautiful blonde girl is found half-drowned on a beach, she has no memory of who she is or what horrors have left her there.

Published 2010 by Michael Joseph

To ask other readers questions about Stolen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stolen

Emma
Oct 02, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't tell you enough how much I hated this book. It disappointed me so much. The plot had so much promise and I'd heard the author had a huge following and a glowing reputation for writing amazing stories. I have no idea why. I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt that this is a one off bad book, and her other books live up to her reputation, but sadly I'm not going to try any more of her stuff to find out. This book was written like the script for a bad made-for-tv movie. The writing was ...more
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*3.5 stars
Rea Cobb
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have come to the point now that my books on my book shelf have all been read, and when I go the library I find it hard to find a book which calls out to me which I haven't read.
Now I have clients giving me books which they have read and one that was given to me the other day was Lesley Pearse Stolen.

To look at this book I would never have picked it for myself as I am usually reading some kind of chick-lit book or something light hearted and I would not put this book into either of those cate
Diane Will
May 23, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Ok...so you finish a really good book and want to try and author you haven't read before. Why did I pick this one of my shelf?? The blurb on the back sounded like quite a good storyline...girl washed up on the beach, no memory, how did she get there...blah blah. Well I have to say this was the best part of the book...! Yes is would make a really 'bad movie' with really 'bad actors' if made for a 'really bad movie channel'...don't read it. All I can say is I only got to page 42 and threw it away. ...more
Julieharford
Aug 18, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The storyline was interesting - a shame that the charactors had no depth and that I didn't really care about them. I also thought the writing was bad which I was surprised with as I have been told that Lesley Pearce writes good books.
Samantha
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Im normally a big fan of Lesley Pearse and was really looking forward to reading this, sadly i was disapointed....
I got about half way through and just wanted it to be over. The story was far fetched and for want of a better word BLAH! The characters were unremarkable and bland (i refer again to the word BLAH)
This book was very different to anything ive read before by Lesley Pearse, the writing style seemed completely different and under par compared to her usual standard. I feel a l
Tracy Kellies
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! With a very captivating story line it held my interest from beginning to end. There are many great twists and turns that keep you engrossed and not wanting to put it down. The main character Lottie is found on a beach barely alive and suffering from amnesia. As the story unfolds, Lottie with the help from some interesting characters slowly but surely starts to remember things and how she ended up stranded on the beach close to death. The writer paid great attention to detail a ...more
Kittykorn
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book it kept me gripped all the way through, think its safe to say that I have found a new favourite author.
Talli Roland
Aug 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant read. From start to finish, I was hooked! With a fast-moving plot and heroic characters, you can't help but turn the pages as quickly as you can.
Jackie White
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Did not live up to expectation. Story was too far fetched all the way through.
Disappointing.
Lainy
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Time taken to read - 1 day

Pages - 385 pages

Blurb from Goodreads

Sussex, 2003

But an article about her in a Brighton newspaper rings alarm bells for beautician Dale, who shows the police photographs of Lotte Wainright. The girls met working on a cruise ship and their friendship blossomed as they sailed the seas
Anne
Jul 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Lesley Pearse is one of my all time favourite authors, I read her first book back in 1993 and loved every page, her novel 'Camellia' came with my on my honeymoon and 'Never Look Back' is one of my all-time favourite books.

No matter the subject whether it's the Klondike Gold Rush, 1960s London or a convict transported to Australia, Lesley Pearse can weave a wonderful tale.

'Stolen' is set in modern day England and follows the mystery of Lotte - washed up on a beach, near to death and
Doron Yam
What has'nt been said and told about true friendship. If the friendship is true, than it will break all blocks and cross all seas and rivers. It is timeless and no power in the world could stand to it.
This is the real matter in this book. of course, it is a thriller with insane people that do insane acts (reminds a lot the situation in Misery by King) But the end is somehow known in advance.
I can't say I fell from my feet but I can't also say that I could set the book aside.
In a sec
Michelle Mcintyre
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was the first book I read of Lesley Pearse givin to me by my friend 1yr prior to reading , one's I picked It up I wondered why I hadn't before as it was a great easy read which left you wanting to keep reading, I did find this to be disturbing at times , the only thing that let the book down was the ending for me I thought it was a bit far fetched and then it ended all happy ? Bit too much . But well worth the read and would recommend it .
Emma North
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, kept me on the edge of my seat whether Lotte would regain her memory and want happened to her when she left the cruise ship she worked on.

Lotte is quite a shy girl and I'm glad that she had the courage to with stand all that has happened to her.

I definitely will be reading more from this author.
LESLEY HEDISON
Enid Blyton

I chose this rating because the first ten chapters or so seemed ok ish, I persevered then it just went all Enid Blyton on me The famous five, must admit started getting bored and couldn't wait to finish the book,which is strange as I usually like this author.
Halyna
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
As usually, Lesley can captivate readers into hers stories since the beginning. Interesting story, but "Belle" is definitely still my favourite.
Beadyjan
Nov 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
My least favourite of Lesley Pearse's books I've read so far. Which is a shame as I've loved most of her others.

There was something about the style which didn't seem like Lesleys usual accomplished writing - it was very simplistic, practically written in words of one and two syllables and in an almost condescending manner as though written for readers with learning difficulties. I felt the characters were quite shallow and bland and the story rather far fetched.

It just di
Anita
Jun 08, 2010 rated it did not like it
Can this book really be by the same person who wrote "Gypsy" and "Trust Me"? Granted, this was a much easier read, but I just couldn't connect with the oh-so-sickeningly-nice main characters, and I found the story just dragged on. There were no twists or surprises. The one dimensional story went along the lines of 'this happened, that happened, and then this and then that .....'. I would recommend other books by Lesley Pearse, but not this one.
Kate
Oct 12, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up because I really needed something light and mindless..... Unfortunately I was not in a position to find another book for 24hrs so actually read great swathes of it! I am aghast that somebody (not me) actually paid $42.00 for it. One of the most poorly written, predictable lame pieces of utterly unbelievable rubbish I have had the misfortune of reading.

I am sure the Mills and Boons I read in my early teens were better than this!
seanat (elka)
Nov 02, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
Gave up, my first by her. Found the writing lacked depth and the dialogue unconvincing.
Bev
Aug 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
What a load of rubbish. I cant believe I let my teenager read this. Such schlock!
Ali
Aug 04, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Can't believe I spent a few hours of my life reading this.
Linda
Oct 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Don't need to tell you how much I enjoyed this book the five stars say it all.
Michelle
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lesley Pearse writes such good books and in a way that makes me care about her characters. This one was no exception.
Grace Cox
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was given this book 13months ago by a friend. She said that she really liked it and thought that I would to. I read the back of the book, and I knew that I was not going to like the book. I then had the book for six months and felt that I had to read it now as I had it for so long on lend,.I decided to read the reviews on goodreads, in the hope that it would encourage me to pick up the book. Unfortunately most of the reviews that I read were not encouraging. Then 12 months went past and I just ...more
Karen Wickham
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
The writing style was a little clunky and the characters were fairly one dimensional, but the story was engrossing.

I've seen other reviews which say the writing is terrible. I have to agree somewhat, but I have seen a lot worse.

You know it's not going to be well written when on page 2, after finding Lotte half dead on the beach, David's first words to her, rather than being "are you alright" or "dont worry I'm going for help", are "who are you?".

The characters
SAM (WhatSAMthinks)
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
What attracted me towards this book was the interesting blurb on the back cover.
It promised the story of a young girl with bruises all over, washed up on a beach side with no memory of how she got there. Gets even more intriguing when the doctors who examined her makes a shocking discovery that she has recently given birth.
The story unfolds as she regains her memory and relays the horrible ordeal to her friends.
Though the book started of well, it failed hold my attention and th
Book Dragon
May 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: myshelf
This novel is not the normal Lesley Pearse style and it took me a little while to get into especially after just finishing one of her other books previously.
The characters in this story did not grab me like her others have which is why I have rated it only 2 stars.
Despite taking just under half the book to get into it, when I did it was worth the read. Some twists to the story and some shocks which made my jaw drop. If this story had been real-life it would be truly shocking and tragic.
A good
Anna
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
NOT my usual type of reading matter, but as a good friend lent me this book with her recommendation and I'm seeing her this week I thought I should give it a go.

The writing is what I'd expect from this genre; the characters lack depth and the scenarios are frequently bordering on the far fetched/ridiculous and the relationships are described in a way that makes you want to throw up a little - but - I kept reading to the end. I'm amazed. So I suppose I can say that the plot was intere
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Elephant Girl
  • No Turning Back
  • Rise of the Notorious (Vasser Legacy #2)
  • After She's Gone (DI Matthew Adams, #1)
  • De grote zaal
  • Number Seventy-Five
  • Goodbye, Dearest Holly
  • Saving Rain (Rain Trilogy, #1)
  • House of Secrets
  • Run Rabbit Run (Sophie Green Mystery, #5)
  • Trades of the Flesh
  • Secrets and Shadows
  • Palabras envenenadas
  • Duty and the Beast (Desert Brothers #1)
  • The Depot: When Life and Death Cross Tracks
  • Billionaire, M.D.
  • It Happened One Summer
  • Untouched Until Marriage
Lesley Pearse is one of the UK's best-loved novelists with fans across the globe and sales of over 2 million copies of her books to date. A true storyteller and a master of gripping storylines that keep the reader hooked from beginning to end, Pearse introduces you to characters that it is impossible not to care about or forget. There is no formula to her books or easily defined genre. Whether cri ...more