Start by marking “The One Year Book of Hymns” as Want to Read:
The One Year Book of Hymns

The One Year Book of Hymns

An enjoyable way to worship the Lord. Focusing on God and his song-inspiring attributes, each devotional features the words of a hymn and an accompanying meditation based on the content of the hymn.
Published September 22nd 1995 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The One Year Book of Hymns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One Year Book of Hymns

Start your review of The One Year Book of Hymns
Lisa Bittle
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I was very excited to read this book, because I love hymns and especially like reading about the history of various hymns. I really got into the book. However, I was disappointed as I continued to read it, because the devotionals became the same information over and over, like the author had nothing more to say, except what they already said. I ended up skimming through the last few hymn devotionals because of this.
Tomi Alger
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful devotional book. The hymns are presented in poem form, along with a devotion that tells about the author, the circumstances which prompted the writing, or the poem itself. Reading this, it was easy to read and then sing they hymns. What a terrific way to have worship time! To read the hymns allowed me to focus on what they really say and on the many titles and characteristics of the Triune God.
Heather
Jan 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this devotional. I listened to the hymns I didn't know on YouTube. ...more
Cassie
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love knowing the story behind things that are written, what caused the author to pen the words they did - though brief, this book does that. The short devotional opposite the hymn lyrics each day encourage you to reflect on God's character and hand at work in the life of the various author at the time of writing and also reminds us that these men and women were everyday people, with families, work, joy and pain, and highs and lows in their life. Some were known for many songs, some wrote one s ...more
Meghan
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book for years and read it off and on many time so I'm pretty sure I've read the whole thing now, as I'm starting to encounter my own underlining, ha ha. This particular book has the hymns' poetry but not the music, which I actually like, as I find myself distracted by learning the music if it's an unfamiliar one. This way I concentrate on the words, and as my music history prof would say about sacred music, "Text is supreme!!" Even hymns with which I am very familiar feel fresh wh ...more
Debby
Aug 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I have always had a fondness for reading the lyrics of hymns as poetry. This book is designed to be read as a daily devotional. There's a hymn for each day and a short bit about the hymn writer or the story behind the hymn. Some lyrics are better and more inspirational than others, but I'd still recommend the bobk. ...more
Angela
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
As a Christian and a resident pianist I enjoyed the stories behind these classical hymns of the church. I have picked up this book many times to learn how and why the person wrote the song. And how they were inspired by God to do so.
Must have for any church musician.
Michael Wayne Tyler
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music-as-worship
Since 1997, this book inspires me instead of myself. Have read through the full year several times and each time there is a new and fresh insight that enriches and feeds me to start out the day better.
Rawley D. Johnson
Nov 29, 2015
Gavin
Dec 28, 2015 added it
Loved it! Very inspirational! I love hymns!
Lisa
Teresa
Jun 09, 2012

• Christian in Complete Armour, Volume 1
  • The Night Olivia Fell
  • Sir Cumference and the Viking's Map (Charlesbridge Math Adventures)
  • The Multiplying Menace Divides
  • If You Made a Million
  • Preaching in Hitler's Shadow: Sermons of Resistance in the Third Reich
  • The Daily Bible Devotional: A One-Year Journey Through God's Word in Chronological Order
  • The Nebula Secret (Explorer Academy, #1)
  • The Falcon's Feather (Explorer Academy, #2)
  • Pythagoras and the Ratios: A Math Adventure
  • Beanstalk: The Measure Of A Giant (A Math Adventure)
  • Illustrated Family Bible Stories
  • The Tanglewoods' Secret
  • Jeopardy in January (Calendar Mysteries #1)
  • Murder at Archly Manor (High Society Lady Detective #1)
  • Bounty Hunter: Lone Gunfighter of the Wastelands (Bounty Hunter, #1)
  • Not a Sound