Start by marking “Elementary, My Dear Watkins (Smart Chick Mysteries #3)” as Want to Read:
Elementary, My Dear Watkins (Smart Chick Mysteries #3)

Elementary, My Dear Watkins

(A Smart Chick Mystery #3)

Mindy Starns Clark's first two books in the Smart Chick Mystery series--The Trouble with Tulip and Blind Dates Can Be Murder--are followed with more love and adventure in this final, suspense-filled book.

When someone tries to push Jo Tulip in front of a New York train, her ex-fiance, Bradford, suffers an injury while saving her--and the unintentional sleuth is thrown onto
Published January 1st 2007 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Elementary, My Dear Watkins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elementary, My Dear Watkins

Start your review of Elementary, My Dear Watkins (Smart Chick Mysteries #3)
Amy Binkerd
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
These 3 books were hilarious! Mindy Starns Clark has a good sense of humor. I am super sarcastic and often times clumsy, so this "trilogy" was good for me as I found myself picturing myself as Tulip many times! Light reading, nothing that you have to REALLY think hard about.
Sheri
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a decent end to Clark's chick lit series, with my main complaint here being that there were times it felt like she was giving a dry summary of an encounter/conversation to try to hurry things along.

Danny has hurried off to Paris for a photography internship almost immediately after Jo's profession of love. While he is busy following his career dreams, Jo is getting mysterious emails telling her that her life is in danger. When she's nearly shoved in front of a train, she seeks help from
Chloe Lundy
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great ending to the series!
Theresa
Nov 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: trilogy
This is the third and last book in the "Smart Chick Mystery" trilogy.

Jo Tulip’s boyfriend, Danny Watkins, is off to Europe for his big break in photography and working with a world renowned photographer who Danny greatly admires. When he returns Jo hopes that he will marry her.

In the meantime, Jo is staying at her Grandmothers while she goes through physical therapy from the injuries she sustained when her house blew up. She has also been getting some e-mails requesting help cleaning a really di
Melissa
Unfortunately, I didn't like this book as much as the first two; I actually thought the first half was kind of boring.

The mystery wasn't very believable to me. Jo gets an anonymous email telling her that someone is trying to kill her and, at the end of the message, asking her how to clean a toaster oven. Weird. Then how everything unfolds in the end - which I won't say and spoil it for anyone - was unrealistic.

Also, I found Danny and Jo annoying at times with some of the things they thought/sai
Ruth
Jan 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
Quality has definitely gone down. Not inappropriate, just not good writing. By this one, there are so many things that don't even connect or get resolved that it's plain disappointing. Quite poor writing. i was glad to get the overall story of the trilogy resolved (both the jilting and the romance with Danny).

Generally I don't plan to go backward with reviews, so I probably won't post about them here, but if you're going to read Mindy Starns Clark, read the Million Dollar Mysteries series. Those
Elizabeth Midgley
Jan 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
This is book #3 in a 3 part series. I read #2 and really liked it, and then started into book 3. I didn't like #3 as well as #2 but I think it ended the series well.

The book is about Jo Tulip, a household tips expert and her photographer fiance and her unusual family. The relationships between all these people revolve around a mystery. I think the reason I liked #2 better was because it was a much better and more believable mystery. The #3 mystery lacked and felt forced. The relationship part o
Darla
Jan 26, 2009 rated it liked it
(Genre: Christian fiction/mystery) Pretty good mystery that once again had me guessing as to who the "bad" guy was. It was also a fun way to wrap up the series. This mystery actually began in the first book (there wasn't full closure on it) so if you read the first one, you really should read this one. I liked Jo a lot more in books 2 and 3 than I did at the beginning, so it was worth staying around to finish it off.
Lynda
Sep 02, 2011 rated it liked it
This final book in the Smart Chick mysteries ties up the loose ends of Tulip and Danny's relationship. While Danny is pursuing the dream of a lifetime internship in Europe, Tulip finds her life is in danger and uncovers a conspiracy involving her family and the family business. A side plot involving a cure of sorts for ADHD involves a young teenager Alex, currently living with Tulip's grandmother. This was a good story better than the midwife stories also by the same author.
Kaitie
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Well what can I say?! I'm glad I read it and finished the trilogy. There was one reviewer who said same book as the first two, but different plot and I tend to agree. Also, I did read the first two, and have to say I wasn't expecting anything more then a fun, easy, sweet, chick lit and that is exactly what I was in the mood for. Probably why I finished it in two days.
Mark Baker
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, 2007
The final entry in the trilogy finds Jo trying to figure out who wants her dead and why. Entertaining as always, but Danny's storyline slows down much of the first half of the book.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Tanx
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
oh how I love this series!
It's a bit funny, has relatable and down-to-earth characters and the mystery is fun and light yet not fluff stuff. This series has transformed me into a cozy mystery fan and i'm on the lookout for more books of this genre.

Thank you Mindy Starns Clark, I hope you will never stop writing, i'm eyeing the Million Dollar Mysteries next :)
Sheryl
Oct 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
This is the third book in the "Smart Chick Mystery" series by this author. It's about a smart chick who solves the problems that somehow always land in her lap. Maybe not always the most probable of storylines, but it's a fun read nonetheless.
Jessica
Oct 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: novel
What I enjoyed most about this series is the relationship between Jo and Danny. They are great characters to read. There is a religious undertone that was a strength of the characters, but not "in your face." The relationship with Jo's grandmother is great in this book.
Karen Hsu
Nov 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: christianfiction
I enjoyed the last book of the Smart Chick trilogy. It was a little predictable in parts, but I still enjoyed Jo's characterization. Plus, because Danny, Jo's boyfriend, was in Paris, I said, "Ooh, la la," every time I cracked open the cover.
Kate
Dec 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
It probably would have helped if I had read the first two first. But I'm not totally convinced I would have finished the series had I started with the first. It was pretty typical for Christian chick-lit even with the mystery twist.
Lynn
May 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: donated
An excellent end to the series. I really like the way the author weaves the stories together and draws them all to a successful and satisfying conclusion. I wish there were more as I really enjoy my visits with Jo and Danny and everyone else.
Teresa Chapman
Nov 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Picked up at a friends of the library book sale. Overall the book was fine just had some awkward faith based lines in it. It almost felt like the book was written as a regular mystery book and then the author went back and added some key phrases Christians might say.
princessP
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was sad that this was the final book in the series. I really loved Tulip and Danny, and all the ins and outs of the mysteries they are involved in. In this one, I wished Tulip and Danny had been together a little longer in the book, but that is my only complaint. LOVED this series!!! :)
Cathleen
Feb 08, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery, faith
Couldn't wait for it to be over. Tres disappointing for a promising series and for a previously enjoyed author.
Tilli
Jul 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
clever!!! love the twists with bradford!!
Gerry
Sep 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
A nice ending to the 3 part series!
Heather
Sep 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Fantastic Book! Stayed up late last night to finish it!!
Jessica
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Loved it, loved it, loved it! All three books in this trilogy were so fun. Quirky, quick reads that made me smile. Clark is one of my favorites for sure.
Cyndee
Aug 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Very good story, would have gotten 4 stars if not for the religious themes and dialogue that sometimes got in the way.
Heather Miller
Jan 06, 2010 rated it liked it
This was the best of this trilogy. It wasn't as predictable as the first two. This is a fun series if you are looking for something light.
Kali
Feb 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Very good! Sad it ended but it ended well!
Sheri
Mar 31, 2010 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately the book did not hold my interest and I did not complete it.
Shanda
May 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
310 pgs
3rd & final book in smart chick mystery series. Easy read with happy ending. Cheesy Christian romance mystery is the best description I can give it. Light-hearted and fun.
Sidney
Jun 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
I enjoy this author. Good books with no bad language, etc. Light reading, but interesting mysteries!

• Collateral Damage (Danger Never Sleeps, #1)
  • Vow of Justice (Blue Justice, #4)
  • The Spice King (Hope and Glory, #1)
  • Because You're Mine
  • Cross My Heart (A Legacy of Faith #2)
  • At Your Request (Apart from the Crowd, #0.5)
  • The Negotiator (O'Malley, #1)
  • Lily's Crossing
  • Dark Chocolate Demise (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #7)
  • Dead in the Water (Welcome Back to Scumble River, #1)
  • Wedding Cake Crumble (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #10)
  • Diamond in the Rough (American Heiresses, #2)
  • Vanilla Beaned (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #8)
  • The Guardian (O'Malley #2)
  • About a Dog (Bluff Point, #1)
  • Sugar and Iced (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #6)
  • Barking Up the Wrong Tree (Bluff Point, #2)
  • Death Crashes the Party (Liv And Di In Dixie Mystery #1)
Mindy Starns Clark is the bestselling author of more than 30 books, both fiction and nonfiction, and has received numerous literary honors, including two Christy Awards and RT Book Review Magazine’s 2012 Career Achievement Award. Mindy and her husband, John, have two adult children and live near Valley Forge, Pennsylvania.

A Smart Chick Mystery (3 books)
  • The Trouble with Tulip (Smart Chick Mysteries #1)
  • Blind Dates can be Murder (Smart Chick Mysteries, #2)