Start by marking “Essential Words for the GRE (Barron's GRE)” as Want to Read:
Essential Words for the GRE (Barron's GRE)

Essential Words for the GRE (Barron's GRE)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  175 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
An extensive working vocabulary is a prerequisite for test-taking success on the GRE Graduate Record Exam. This revised and updated test preparation guide presents 800 college-graduate-level words with definitions that frequently appear on the exam, while also familiarizing test takers with how the words are generally used in various contexts. Additional features include a ...more
Paperback, Second edition, 396 pages
Published July 1st 2010 by Barron's Educational Series (first published July 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Essential Words for the GRE, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essential Words for the GRE

Roya
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So many words, my mind feels numb.
But seriously, I feel like I have entered a WHOLE NEW LEVEL of existence!
Like, Seriously.
(one star's forfeited for the sake of too many inaccurate, even incorrect, definitions)
Devon
Jul 19, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: slaves to the system
Shelves: august07
Done, bitches!
Yasmin
Finishing a book like this won't necessarily mean you know all the words. But I gotta say it's one great source for people who don't know where to start.
Alexandria Nicole
Nov 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: guides, nonfiction
This book was extremely helpful to me. Even though a lot of the words in this book didn't show up on the test. Because there was about 8 questions that dealt with picking the right word, so the probably was very low anyways, I think it helped a lot. I did see some words from here on the test though!

I liked the way they set up the techniques for learning the words. They have you learn the words in about four different ways which really helps. You read the definition in sets of ten. Then match the
Sarah A
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was very young growing up in the Philippines, one of the things I was fascinated of is the English language. Not to say I am proficient of the language. I simply like to learn new vocabularies, phrases, sentences, etc. So when I was studying for the GRE (and praying to tackle the new revised exam), I thoroughly enjoyed this book. This book teaches the important words you need to know in units of ten words each, along with their parets of speech, mostly commonly used definititions on the G ...more
Jacob
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great resource. You get out what you put in and this more than prepares you. However, while studying for the GRE, this wasn't as compact as it should have been for a supplemental resource. Too many words and some of the 300 highest frequency words didn't even have definitions in the book!
A fine tool though.
Hosein
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gre
Reading new words along with the adjunct practices really helps to assure one has really learned those vocabularies. I myself found this book necessary for whom want to take GRE exam. by using Flash card of this book it is feasible to learn new words everywhere.
Brianna Soloski
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: test-taking
This has 800 common to the GRE words and 500 common to the GRE Greek/Latin Roots. There are also matching and fill in the blank questions after each set of ten words to help you put them into context and not just have rote memorization of the words and what they mean.
Jenny
Sep 02, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well my vocab is bigger. That was the goal. Goal met. I found a few typos that really kinda honked me off. Who proofreads books nowadays?

Kate
Aug 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much more effective than simply staring down a long list of words and definitions.
Steppenwolfe
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very geeky, but I'm getting a tremendous kick out of this book!
AGamble
Jun 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: gre
Good review with pre- and post- tests and review for every set of words. Also includes a root word section.
Jane
  • Cracking the GRE
  • The Official Guide to the GRE Revised General Test [with CD-ROM]
  • The Official Guide for GMAT Review
  • Barron's GRE
  • Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness (Overcoming)
  • An Introduction to Shi`i Islam: The History and Doctrines of Twelver Shi`ism
  • Fat Sex: The Naked Truth
  • Bellum Catilinae
  • Getting What You Came For: The Smart Student's Guide to Earning an M.A. or a Ph.D.
  • Drinking My Way Through 14 Dating Sites
  • L'arte di invecchiare
  • Yoga: Discipline of Freedom: The Yoga Sutra Attributed to Patanjali
  • Graduate Admissions Essays: Write Your Way into the Graduate School of Your Choice
  • The Motley Fool Million Dollar Portfolio: How to Build and Grow a Panic-Proof Investment Portfolio
  • Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs
  • Beginning PHP and MySQL 5: From Novice to Professional
  • On Deep History and the Brain
  • The Eleven Million Mile High Dancer

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »