Start by marking “The Lotus Eaters” as Want to Read:
The Lotus Eaters

The Lotus Eaters

(Desert Called Peace #3)

The Sequel to A Desert Called Peace and Carnifex He thought He’d Won His War, and Destroyed Those Who Killed His Family, but Victory Brings a New Set of Problems . . .

Sometimes paranoia is just a heightened state of awareness.

Carrera's won his war, and inflicted a horrific revenge upon his enemies. But there are wars after wars. The Tauran Union is planning an attack. The
Published April 13th 2010 by Baen (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Lotus Eaters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lotus Eaters

Dan
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
A bit shorter than the previous two books, and better for it. And better over all, the story was faster paced.
Roberta
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sciencefiction
A bit of an homage to the philosophy of Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein, which isn't a bad thing. Kratman shows how a more military minded but smaller country prepares for war against a larger stronger power that is weakened by progressive ideas and transglobalism. His hero, Carrera admits he is too cruel to decide his country's fate and begins building a ruling class based on military service. This book is the build up towards a war between Balboa and the Tauran Union.

Also as a seconda
Matthew Frerichs
I think having served on active duty and now as a reservist/contractor helped me understand the author's perspective. He provides a sci-fi twist to what is currently in place here in our reality. It is interesting to see the correlations between his made up ethnicities/countries and our current world snapshot as well.
The writing is very fluid and I really enjoyed envisioning this book's characters as they played out the storyline. Some people who don't care for the military may find this book d
Christopher Garcia
Nov 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Had to read this for an article I was working on. After a page, the prose began to grate on me. After thirty pages, I decided not to write the article simply to avoid reading it.
Kian
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it
It's good book, Long and dark sometimes but good, I got confused and found it hard to follow so many POVs.
Dan Melson
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This series is staying interesting so far
Tim
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Hmmmm

Hard to decide whether the author's story is getting better or if I've lowered my expectations enough after wading through A Desert Called Peace and Carnifex.

Either way friends we find ourselves at the end of the third of this series and the jihad baddies are now vanquished and our man in Mexico...errr Balboa even has decided to stick one on the Taurian Union because...weeeeell come on they're bloody Frenchies right?

Well...actually he then throws a bit of a curve ball by telling us all abo
I.F. Adams
Jul 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Tom Kratman is always something of a guilty pleasure. Totally, extremely un-PC "carnography" as my father likes to call it, but also an supremely rich and detailed exercise in world building, from the technology and geography, to the philosophy and geo-politics. If you've gotten this far into the series, then you know that Kratman definitely likes to be pretty blunt in what (Im assuming) are his world views and politics, and this book is no exception. Sometimes it can provide some light food for ...more
Eric Berry
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
3rd in an excellent series of what most would call military sci-fi, but in reality is also an insightful commentary on many of today's social, cultural and political issues. Mr. Kratman demonstrates an actual understanding of military technologies and capabilities not always found in the genre, a problem which always causes me to lose interest in an author when poorly executed. The characters, despite being placed in the future, on another planet or in space are still human beings with all of ou ...more
Kjirstin
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: action, military, sci-fi
I very much enjoyed the continuing saga of the Legion and Balboa, as they ramp up to the inevitable war with the Tauran Union. This book could almost have been broken into a series of novelettes and short stories, with a section on their drug war, a section very much like The Hunt for Red October, and a section with an attempted coup by The Bad Guys. At this point I am fascinated and just waiting for the release of the fifth book, which will I hope take us further into some of the plot points te ...more
Jeff
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: military-sci-fi
Great blend of military & philosophy of a word in transition. How to free yourself and your society from oppressors internal & external without descending to barbarism ? How to end terror threats & the drug trade with it pervasive corruption in a way that doesn't end your society? Kratman's approach & treatment of the situations does it well & keeps you reading, then looking for the next book.
James
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Third book in the Legion El Cid series, takes the characters and plot beyond its original boundaries, opening up new opportunities to expand the horizons. It shows the vulnerable side of the major character and develops his relationships with others. The ending leave masses of opportunity for a follow up.
Adam White
Mar 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first two books, a lot of political philosophy and not so much action. That said, still want to read more in series, so not bad. Fun thing to do if you want to mess with your head, and I did for some strange reason - Read Robert Fisk whilst reading this series - the juxtapositions in political thought are really good for the brain. Keep them coming Tom, I'll keep buying
Liviu
Apr 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Somewhat to my surprise I did not like this one that much though the ending is great but almost nothing happens until then except in the lateral threads on Earth and in the Pasthun lands; hopefully the next volume gets to more action and large scale stuff
Ron
Jul 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction, war
I did not rate this book as high as the first two in the series because the pace is slowed way down as Tom lays the groundwork for the next war. Transition books are needed, but just not as fun a read. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Dale (Aus)
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this a little more than the earlier ones I think, I am now picking up the next one. Nice change to the earlier books with the characters filling out more and more happening in differenet places.
Aeoli Pera
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Same as my review for books 1 and 2, no changes.
Michael Rutkowski
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
continuous action and a real page turner ! the story continues in this 3rd book in the series !
Adam Yoshida
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I kind of have to give this one five stars, since I'm more-or-less quoted in it at one point.
Michael Kranjcevich
May 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Should have just kept the story threads as shorts instead of very loosely tying them together. Would have stood up much better.
Thane Eichenauer
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
I had greatly enjoyed previous books in this series but this one failed to compel me to complete reading it.
Greg
A good wrap up of the first set in this series. Again a very "right" book and series, but still for my tastes a good book and read, one that was hard to put down...
Bill
Jan 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Balboa battles drug cartels and traitors in the ranks while preparing for war with the Tauran Union.
Third in a series.
Felix
Aug 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Fast & brutal - muck like today's world news.....
Jon
Dec 09, 2014 rated it liked it
I didn't like this one as much as the first 2. I'm not sure why. I think it was the transition between book 2 and 3. It was *really* incredibly jarring. Still decent though.
Melvyn
Sep 08, 2013
James
rated it did not like it
Dec 19, 2014
Fredrik
Jun 04, 2019
Mike Foster
May 30, 2014
Jerry
May 21, 2016

• One Good Soldier (Tau Ceti Agenda, #3)
  • The Tuloriad (Posleen War: Sidestories, #3)
  • Better to Beg Forgiveness ( Freehold: Ripple Creek, #1, Freehold, #3)
  • Technokill (Starfist, #5)
  • Temporary Duty
  • By Force of Arms (Legion, #4)

Desert Called Peace (7 books)
  • A Desert Called Peace
  • Carnifex
  • The Amazon Legion
  • Come and Take Them
  • The Rods and the Axe
  • A Pillar of Fire by Night (Carerra Series Book 7)