Start by marking “Behold the Dawn” as Want to Read:
Behold the Dawn

Behold the Dawn

Marcus Annan, a tourneyer famed for his prowess on the battlefield, thought he could keep the secrets of his past buried forever. But when a mysterious crippled monk demands Annan help him find justice for the transgressions of sixteen years ago, Annan is forced to leave the tourneys and join the Third Crusade.

Wounded in battle and hunted by enemies on every side, he rescu
Published August 24th 2009 by PenForASword Publishing (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Behold the Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behold the Dawn

Madelyn
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 17+
It's not often you find a book that has a message that shouts out to you. That from the beginning you can sympathize with, understand, and feel a part of. A character who's real, makes mistakes, but you love all the more. One you pity, but are proud of. And when you close the book for the last time, you look around and feel as if you've lost something. One you can't wait to finish, but dread as it nears the end. Behold the Dawn captured my heart, and it has yet to let it go.

I stayed up late thr
Angie Thompson
Okay, it's taken me a long time to write this review. Partly because I've been busy, but partly because--I'm still not sure how to review this book. But it's been over a week, so I'm jumping in and doing it anyway. Here goes...

Confession #1--I really liked this book! Confession #2--I still cannot figure out why!!! It was definitely very well-written, but good writing doesn't make or break a book for me, and this one had several elements that usually are not my favorite, so I'm seriously at a los
Kate Willis
Apr 17, 2017 marked it as unfinished
I hesitate to write reviews of books I have not finished, because you never know if the book really does turn out to be amazing without finishing it. So please be sure to read some positive reviews as well! This is just my personal opinion of the book.

(view spoiler)
Olivia
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teens
Oh my. I am totally astounded at this book. Having only read one other historical fiction book set during the Crusades that I wasn't impressed with, I wasn't sure what to expect with this. From what I've seen of this author I hoped it would be good and it was. More than that, it was amazing.

The characters were full of depth and so real. Annan, struggling with his past, is a tourneyer only to appease his conscience. Then there is Mairead, a countess wife, her fear and need of safety found in the
English
Overall, the book left me with mixed feelings. It was undeniably well-written with vivid and evocative descriptions and realistic and exhilarating battle scenes- at least at the beginning. Towards the end the kidnappings or attempted kidnappings), attacks, narrow escapes, rescues and almost inevitable accompanying fight scenes seemed to become a little repetitive, predictable and dare I say, overdone or over reliant on action?
Also, the apparently invincibility of the hero Marcus Annan and his s
Jane
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fast-moving, enthralling novel of the Third Crusade. A tourneyer, Marcus Annan, is convinced to join the Crusade by a mysterious crippled monk from Annan's past. There is much fighting but the main story is that of Annan's guilt for his actions sixteen years previously, his self-forgiveness and redemption. As one character says, and I'm paraphrasing: Each new dawn brings with it a new beginning with the new day.

I figured out part of Annan's past early on, but I wish the rest had been explained e
Olivia
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OKAY THIS WAS A REALLY GREAT BOOK, FAM?!

Like, I'm Having Feelings. And I Have a Feeling I won't stop Having Feelings for awhile, because I Have a Feeling it'll take me a few days to process this book.

I mean . . . the story is so intense for such a long time, and that meant that *I* was rather tense while reading it. It almost seemed to twist up my insides a little bit. But . . . it was really good??

Wow. I feel like . . . I don't really know what to say? Before I read it -- just going by the syno
Rich Weatherly
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Compelling and riveting historical fiction

Get ready for a novel by KM Weiland that will grab you and hold on until you turn the last of its captivating pages.

Behold the Dawn opens in the year 1192 when Crusaders under King Richard I battled Saladin's Muslim forces in the Holy Land in an attempt to recapture Jerusalem. At the same time, Marcus Annan engaged in deadly mock battle as a Tourneyer. Annan, "...fought today for the same reason he always fought: it was the only thing his life had left h
Sandi Ady
I was so excited to read this based on other reviews I read... and was disappointed. Please note, I majored in Pre-Modern European History, so I was totally stoked for the subject matter. But it was SO hard to get into, I had to push myself through the first quarter of the book or so. By the time it started to pick up, I was already losing interest. But it did pick up, and became much more exciting. This is why I gave it 3 stars instead of 2... it did improve a bit. I managed to finish it. Met u ...more
Hope
Setting this down for a while. I'll probably try this again when I'm not so busy.
Rebekah
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was quite an adventurous read. That's an understatement. If you didn't read any of the updates I made throughout the book they went like this:

"WHAAAAAT?!????!!? *strangled sob*"
"OHMYWORDOHMYWORDOHMYWORD!!! THE FEELINGS!!! I think my heart died and then revived again between this update and my last one."
"Noooooooooooooooooooo"
*GASPS*

So yes, it was quite exciting. :) The story was set during the time of the Crusades, and the main character was Scottish, so I had a feeling from the begin
Grace
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am a major history nerd, so historical fiction is right up my alley. My favorite book is "Pearl Maiden" by Sir Rider Haggard, an author who wrote historical fiction that is both riveting and deep.

I mention Haggard, because "Behold the Dawn" very quickly brought his medieval book "The Brethren" to mind. Coming from me, considering BTD to be similar to one of his works is a huge compliment to Weiland.

The setting to BTD felt gritty and authentic. It was hot, sweaty, dusty, and bloody. I did occa
Effrosyni Moschoudi
Sep 18, 2014 rated it liked it
An action-packed medieval romance

I am not a fan of this genre but this author came highly recommended by a friend so when I got a chance to acquire a copy of this book in return for a review, I seized the opportunity. I was impressed by the representation of the era and I believe the author did a great job there and obviously had to do a lot of research. Although K.M. Weiland has undoubtedly great writing skills (especially where descriptions and character development are concerned), I found som
Brenna H.
I was a little wary of reading this book, because I really, really, really wanted to like it--and when you go to read a book you really, really, really want to like, or have high hopes for, there's always a nagging fear that it won't measure up to your preconceptions and hopes. I'd never read anything by this author before (excepting some excerpts from her books), so I didn't have the assurance that, hey, she's written good books before, so she's probably done it again (not that that's always a ...more
Suzannah
Sep 30, 2014 rated it liked it
I’ve been looking forward to reading this novel since I was first introduced to KM Weiland’s excellent and practical writing advice. Weiland has made a study of her craft, particularly when it comes to structuring and building one’s novel. Her approach is craftsmanlike—here are the rules, and here’s how they apply. In reading this novel and Weiland’s more recently-published fantasy Dreamlander, I’ve been reminded just how very far a disciplined and craftsmanlike approach to art can take us, if w ...more
Katrina

Decent but frustrating read, because too many questions were left unanswered.

While well written and reasonably enjoyable, my main issue with this book was lack of both full
disclosure and background story. The driving force for the events in this book is suppose to be the wrongdoing that occurred at St Dunstan Abbey, yet, with the exception of occasional sentence here and there and the obvious impact it had on all the characters, not even once we are fully told what had actually happened in the
ClarissaJoy
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
My first K.M. Weiland book! I really liked this book....Marcus Annan is an absolute kick butt and I identify with Mairead so much. I do have a couple things that bothered me (like the romance being underdeveloped imo) but the plot twist at the end......MY WORD! Like how??? It makes so much sense, but you don't see it coming at all! Also, kudos to Weiland at writing a beautiful redemption story without shoving God down your throat.
Loretta
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure how much this was going to grab me at the beginning, but once I got into it, I found it hard to put down. The medieval world feels very real, and once Mairead entered the story, I felt as though she brought an extra dimension to it.
This is a skilfully written tale by an author who knows her period.
Josie
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another great story, however I was confused a lot in the beginning, leading me to be confused whenever she threw a plot twist later on. Still, though: AMAZING.
Josiah
Disclaimer: I have been provided with a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

I was first introduced to Weiland through her writing blog, and, soon after, through her books on writing. Given this, having profited a lot from her blog and her books, I was very interested to see how her own advice on writing translated into her actual writing.

The result? An enjoyable read that had a lot of good parts in it, but not one without its faults.

Set within the context of the Third Crusade
Joy
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Behold the Dawn is an incredibly satisfying read: when all is said and done, and the last page has been checked behind to see if there's more, the soul feels satisfied, well-filled. No lingering regrets that the story should have gone different. That said, there is only one thing that some people might take too much to heart. I am not the first, and shall probably not be the last, to say that the language employed for the dialogue is strangely modern and incongruous with the 12th century setting ...more
Kimia Wood
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ends Strong
This is not a story of the Crusades. This is not even really the story of a Crusader. Events of the Third Crusade create a backdrop for the tale, and the varying landscape of the medieval Middle East creates its atmosphere. But if you're looking for a detailed history of the actual campaigns and historical figures of the time, try G. A. Henty.
In part, "Behold the Dawn" is the romance of two unlikely newlyweds, thrown together amid extenuating circumstances. The couple's interactions,
Clare Farrelly
"Deepen your characters and you’ll also deepen your conflict and your theme" ~K.M. Weiland
She has certainly followed her own advice in this book it is just amazing.

This is a book I have always wanted to read, but I did not realize that this books was one of those books until I started reading. The story is set during the Kings Crusade but gives a very different view than most historical fiction, well any other crusade story I have read. I did have high expectations though -having listened to K.
Joleen
Right off the bat I'm going to say if you want to read a light book before bedtime, don't pick this one up. You won't be able to put it down and it WILL keep you up.
I was unfamiliar with this author so I had no idea what to expect, but I liked the cover, and I usually enjoy early church/early historical novels, so I picked it up.
Also, let me say, K.M. Weiland can write! Granted the language styles weren't historically accurate, but I appreciated it nonetheless because I didn't have to wade throu
Adam Collings
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, historical
Behold the Dawn is a historical novel set during the crusades. It is the story of Marcus Annan, whose life is consumed soley by the bloodthirsty (and morally dubious) sport of tourneying. We learn very quickly that there is much more to this man than we realise. He has a dark past that he has been running from for a very long time. On the surface, Marcus seems a very unlikely hero for this story, and yet as the reader you immediately bond with him, you root for him and want to find out more abou ...more
Gillian Bronte Adams
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a hundred percent sure why but the movie Kingdom of Heaven about the crusades is one of my all time favorites, so when I saw Behold the Dawn and learned the time period and premise (a master tourneyer is drawn by the sins of his past to the Holy Land during the Third Crusade) I knew I had to read it!

And read it, I did, for hours on end. There may have been a few nights (er, early mornings) where I didn't set it down until the light on my clock reminded me that t'was already 3:00 AM.

Weila
I have to begin this review by saying that I stayed up ‘til 1:00 in the morning to finish this book the day after I got it. I haven’t enjoyed a book this much in a very long time.

Behold the Dawn by K. M. Weiland is set during the third Crusade. If that doesn’t ring a bell, this is when Robin Hood and Ivanhoe were saving England from Prince John. Here is the books description from the website you can order the book from (go here also to see the trailer).

Marcus Annan, a tourneyer famed for his pro
Bill Tillman
What a joy it is to have a tale where you can keep track of all the characters!

The sins of a bishop.

The vengeance of a monk.

The secrets of a knight.

A knight—fighting in the condemned tourneys.

A monk—preaching reform and heresy.

A bishop—running from a lifetime of darkness.

The fear of a Lady.

An unrepentant street urchin

A mysterious ghost; Matthias of Claidmore.

Unspeakable secrets chase them to the Crusade in the Holy Land. But when the swelling tide of vengeance sweeps through their shattered li
Pegg
Dec 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
I tried reading this book awhile ago and couldn't get hooked. My son read it and told me to try again, it was worth it. He was right (but don't tell him I said so!). It does start very slow, I was well into the seventh chapter before I found myself hooked into the story. It finishes much stronger and contains a good love story in the midst. I liked the feel and cadence to the story in the second half, it was less wordy and more lyrical, which lends itself well to the medieval theme of the story ...more
S.V. Farnsworth
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this Christian-centric, clean, historical fiction set during the Crusades. It is well written, engaging, and well paced. It isn't cookie cutter fiction. The hook at the beginning got me invested, but I secretly hoped the plot wouldn't be so transparent and it wasn't. I was delighted to be surprised. Happy reading.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Massacre at Acre? 1 9 Jun 04, 2014 01:05PM

• Covenant of War (Lion of War, #2)
  • Warrior Poet: Before David Was King
  • The Dragoneers (The Chronicles of Susah, #1)
  • When Camels Fly
  • Joy Takes Flight (Alaskan Skies, #3)
  • From Across the Ancient Waters (The Green Hills of Snowdonia, #1)
  • The Winning of Barbara Worth
  • Darkin: A Journey East
  • Haunted Tree (The Magus Family Chronicles, #1)
  • The Shadow Lamp (Bright Empires, #4)
  • The Griffin's Boy (The Griffin Riders' Chronicles, #1)
  • Fearless
  • Seeker of Stars
  • The Next Target
  • Waves of Regret
  • Song of the Ovulum (Children of the Bard, #1)
  • Bat Wing
  • The Search Committee
K.M. Weiland lives in make-believe worlds, talks to imaginary friends, and survives primarily on chocolate truffles and espresso.

She is the IPPY, NIEA, and Lyra Award-winning and internationally published author of the acclaimed writing guides Outlining Your Novel, Structuring Your Novel, and Creating Character Arcs, as well as Jane Eyre: The Writer’s Digest Annotated Classic.

Her fiction include