Start by marking “Cake” as Want to Read:
Cake

Cake

3.44  ·  Rating details ·  25 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
You must disclaim yourself from reason and whatever complacency you've retained in order to abscond the world for Edwards' dominion of imprudent divulgence. A bizarre tale of a troubled childhood and the gamut of sexual disappointment. With a sour mixture of erotica and his own brand of grotesque humor, Edwards opens questions about the consensus of our thoughts on sex and ...more
Published September 10th 2009 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Cake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cake

Liza
Apr 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: firstreads, 2010

Sure, the narrator has a pottymouth. Sure, he’s a sexist jerk. Sure, his storyline is a bit confusing at first. But hey, he knows he’s a jerk. He knows he objectifies women. He thinks you might have some experience with that too, and he invites you, the reader, to look into your own “relationship” history, your sexual escapades, and see if you don’t see something a little bit familiar in there.

Now, now, reader, don’t get all riled up and mad at the narrator because he’s an ass. Don’t get disgust

Charissa
Feb 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
I turned over in my head how to review the book for quite some time. The crass and explicit part of the book isn't as shocking as the author might have wanted it to be, perhaps. I'm certainly not very easily shocked. My main impression is that the crassness and explicitness is over used in the story and therefore loses it's potency pretty quickly. I appreciated the intent of the story, which seems to be to show the arc of a character who is a sexually promiscuous misogynist and who comes to unde ...more
Lisa Moore
Nov 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I am not one of many words..but i love this book! I find myself looking back on my life as I read through the stories of the author. The hummor is at times laugh at loud! Crude but amazing! A must read if your love life has been interesting!
Michael Edwards
Oct 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is not a book for the easily offended, especially little girls. It is for young ADULTS, not teenage drama queens who think they are. I apologize to those with lives of which Cake might have ruined. It wasn't intentional...

O.K. Maybe it was.
Pamela
Nov 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I encourage you to pick this book up and give it a shot! You will be pleasantly surprised by the emotions and memories this book will stir inside of you. The author connects with us through this books unnamed protagonist as he talks about the past love and relationships he has gone through, most comical, yet some bittersweet, and some that are just downright nasty! You will laugh till it hurts and cry till it feels better. This is a book of fiction, and might not be for all. To Quote Bukowski, “ ...more
Dec 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
"Back in the 70's, I was full of that youth and zest all my friends got into, and well into the 80's, I was still in it. By the time I started a family, I stopped, knowing my children wouldn't understand me anymore. I read "Cake," and within days, my life spiraled into that obscenity once again. I'll never be the same. I don't know how to be clean anymore. My life has been corrupted and now is in shambles since I picked up and read all 400 something pages of this malarkey. Shame on Edwards! Sham ...more
Erika
Apr 25, 2010 rated it did not like it
goodreads first reads win. too crude for my tastes.
bethanne
Mar 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a little gore in their reading
Recommended to bethanne by: Michael Edwards
Full disclosure: I got this book in the mail directly from Michael himself (after he emailed me one day and asked me if I wouldn't mind reading his book) and it was on the shelf for a while as I had other stuff going on.

And then I read this in the span of one day (it was a long shift at work where no one came in the store for about three hours. I was able to read it all over the course of the afternoon shift!)

At first, some of the imagery was just plain......wrong. (I'll leave that to the brave
Nicholas Beck
May 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with a sense of humor
Recommended to Nicholas by: the author
This is the story of one man's struggle through life, and the women with whom he has relationships. The unnamed, main character of the novel shows the reader many feelings through this book, some of which make you want to throw a rock at the character's face. This shows something when a writer can arouse such a passion in the reader.

Through the many faults of the narrator, the reader can visualize times in their own life when they felt insignificant and bothered by something in their past that t
Bev
May 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I am a 66yr old woman who loved this book. I plan to give my copy to my grandson when he turns 18 if the pages hold up. My daughter can't get mad at me when he's of age. I laughed out loud at times but then again the truth is much funnier than fiction. Women and men can relate to something in almost every chapter if they are honest. I have passed my copy so far to four of my employees and 'highly' recommend they read it. By the time my grandson gets it, I hope to have signatures on all the blank ...more
Bebop
Mar 29, 2010 added it
The author is a DICK! But god damn this is funny. It isn't exactly Catcher in The Rye, although it tries to be. Like it or not, I defy you to read this ridiculus thing and not laugh until yer belly hurts. It is a little gross though, not everyone is going to like that part about it. The author seems to have spen a lot of time in the gutter to come up with some of his descriptions. For any females out there that really want to see themselves from man eyes, this book does it better than any other ...more
Saamiah
Apr 28, 2010 rated it did not like it
I wasted my time reading this thing. The only substantial thing in the book was the protagonist's observations of ego,society,life,and relationships. Those were overshadowed by the rest of the book which is disgusting and decrepit. It makes you wonder if the authors purpose was to make this guy come off as an asshole to everyone. If so then he was successful I could barely stomach past the half way point. The ending was trite and well overdue. I see the author's writing talent in only about 20 p ...more
Kim
Apr 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
A story about a man’s search to fill a void in his messed up life by going from one woman to another, hoping to gain something without giving anything back in return. Up until page 28, I listened to the angry rants of a drunken madman and wanted to put the book away without reading any further. Sometimes the anger even seemed to be directed at me, the reader. But maybe the author wanted me to be as angry as the long string of women that were abandoned.

Edwards has a talent for using his adjectiv
Christina
Jul 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Well...i must say, everytime I picked up this book to read it I knew I was in for a good time. When I read the first chapter, I wasn't sure what kind of book I was getting myself into, but I am so glad I finished it. It made me luagh out loud in about every chapter. It's one of those books where you can't really pick a favorite part, it was all really fascinating! Can't wait for more from this author. :)
Georgiann Hennelly
Apr 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is one mans story of his struggle through life and the women with whom he had relationships. The main character who is unnamed shows the reader many feelings through this book' Some how' despite all his failures with women inhis life the main character is hopeful to somehow better himself. This is a book for anyone who is trying to find a purpose in life' when all seems to be lost.
Carrie
Apr 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Cake is certainly atypical. Out of the ordinary, but an interesting read. Much like “A Confederacy of Dunces,” the main character is certainly not always endearing, but you remain interested in him and the novel. This novel is full of many questionable morals, but I guess that does make it a fascinating read.
Ken
May 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A "fictional" account of growing up, with plenty of alcohol, sex and drugs. Sometimes funny, never boring, a few times sad. I liked the style that Michael Edwards employs. He lets it all hang out, so occasionaly crude and not for the easily offended.
Melissa
Jan 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this crude, crass outlook on sex, relationships and even love!!
Claire
Mar 31, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
I won this copy on Goodreads from the author and I am excited to recieve it!!
Mechele McDaniel Rose
Apr 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-won
I am not quite sure how to describe this book. At times it will annoy you, make you down right pissed off, but yet it is full of some really great humor. It is certainly entertaining.
Azraa