Start by marking “Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)” as Want to Read:
Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)

Web of Lies

(Elemental Assassin #2)

Curiosity is definitely going to get me dead one of these days. Probably real soon.

I'm Gin Blanco.

You might know me as the Spider, the most feared assassin in the South. I’m retired now, but trouble still has a way of finding me. Like the other day when two punks tried to rob my popular barbecue joint, the Pork Pit. Then there was the barrage of gunfire on the restaurant.
Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published May 25th 2010 by Pocket Books (first published May 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Web of Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Web of Lies

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more

SO. Donovan Caine is EXACTLY as big of a chicken manboy LOSER FACE as I remembered him being. #dontletthedoorhityouonthewayout RAWRRRR.

Full RTC.

5/12/16: Getting a bit of a late start on this buddy (re)read with BB&B !

But better late than never, right? I mean, it's not like I was gonna bail--this book has OWEN. *swoons*

PM me if you're interested in joining. I have SWAG. ;)

Oh, oh! ALSO! It's currently ON SALE for $1.99:

description
Kat Kennedy
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
So basically I kind of like this series. First of all because Gin may be a bleeding heart who'll take a job just because she hears a sobstory - but it also turns out she's a real bitch. Something I can really appreciate.

I've never told anybody this before but I also relate to Gin because I too am a female assassin.

[image error]
This is totally me in my assassin garb getting ready to take down anybody I see dog-earring a book!

Okay... maybe not.

But I want to be! I plan on grabbing on of the fake ka
Choko
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
*** 4 ***

A weekly Urban Fantasy read with my fantastic buddies at BB&B!!!

We have a kick-ass southern lady assassin, retired, who will not back down in the face of danger, and will not blink an eye when taking down a mark! Ice runs in her veins and despite her ability to turn her skin into stone, she is not invulnerable, she is still human... Yes, she had it tough when she was a kid and she was on the brink of giving up before meeting Fin and his dad. Yes, she falls for the wrong guy and his
Limonessa
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Limonessa by: Maja
Shelves: fantasy, uf-or-pnr
3.5 stars.

This is not a review.
This is my rant directed towards one of the least likable love interests in the history of Urban Fantasy: Mr. Donovan Caine.
Or donovancaine, which has a certain assonance to a potent anesthetizer, and is truly appropriate, because that's exactly what he does to me. One of the most hypocritical, double-faced, backboneless men ever to have roamed the pages of a UF novel. And I loathe those kind of men - and who wouldn't?
Not only his ethics are just figments of hi
Denisa
In the previous book she was a badass assassin, who wasn't afraid to kill anyone and who bowed to no one.

In this book she's ever better!

I absolutely, absolutely love her! As I've said before, I am tired of killers with morals, who don't want to kill anyone but they have to do it, boo hoo, poor little them. Well, let me tell you, Gin is nothing like that.
I loved the fact that she's not all powerful, she got her ass kicked a few times and she's not afraid to ask for the help of her friends.
And
Robin (Bridge Four)
May 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, uf-pnr
So far this isn’t my favorite UF series out there. That title is still held by the Kate Daniels Series and The Fever Series (1-5) I’m still pretending the other books didn’t happen.

It has potential….lots of potential but so far I’m struggling a little with the repetition in the writing. I don’t need a recap of what happened in chapter 1 in chapter 5 I read it under an hour ago I remember what happened.

The gist of the story

Gin is trying to be a retired assassin and current BBQ owner but there i
Ian
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
At the age of 15 Donovan Caine suffered a terrible life altering trauma. His mother stopped breast feeding him. He was disconsolate. Not even his extensive Furby collection could turn that frown upside down. The result...Donovan Caine became a complete ass-hat. ass-hat. ass-hat. ass-hat.

This book is really great but I'm holding the 5th star hostage. Ms Estep, if you want the 5th star kill ass-hat by 5pm, May 29. The method of death should be gruesome and humiliating...it would be nice if it inv
Felicia
Jul 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
YES! I love it when a series gets better from the first one! This book really got me into the groove with this character and this world. I really am interested in the magic, there were fun character twists and...

SPOILER:

THANK GOD FOR THE LOVE INTEREST RESOLUTION! It was my main criticism from the last one, and so happy the author was brave enough to switch gears and it's looking like a GOOD DIRECTION! Ok, I wanna be vague, but I'm totally in for #3!
Emma
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was better than the first one and that was good! 4.5 stars. I really like Gin Blanco as the main character. She makes no apologies for who she is. She is feisty and strong, determined to survive at all costs and can be ruthless. And yet I really felt for her vulnerability with the detective she likes so much and what goes down between them. I love Jo Jo and Sophia, her dwarf friends. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series as now Gin is getting set to avenge her family and has met som ...more
Jo
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: UF fans
“Isn’t that your cook from the Pork Pit? The one who was working when Jake McAllister tried to rob you?”
“Yeah,” I replied. “She moonlights as a badass, just like me.”

Gin has put aside her assassin cloak, or knife in her case ;-), trying to live a normal life. However life of a retired assassin is quite boring. But then two punks try to rob her barbecue restaurant, and of course one of them is the son of Jonah McAllister, a very successful lawyer, and one of Mab Monroe’s top lieutenants. Mab M

Catherine
4.5 Stars

This was a great follow up to Spider's Bite. Sometimes sequels just can't measure up, but that's not the case here. Gin is just as strong and badass as she was in the first book. I have a serious girl-crush on her and wish there were more heroines like her out there.

I loved how we opened the book straight in the middle of a robbery. It dropped me right into the action and gave Gin's personality a chance to shine right out of the gate. And shine it does. Her sarcasm and wit is just as sh
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
'“You could just run over him, I said. “He’s already dead, and it’s not like you haven’t done it before.”
     “Yeah, but I don’t want bloody bits of dwarf stuck in my wheels for the next two weeks.” Finn sniffed “This is an Aston Martin, Gin. You don’t run over dead bodies in an Aston Martin.”
     “Tell that to James Bond.”
     Finn shot me a dirty look as he pulled out onto the street. ' - Pg 100 quote from Web of Lies

Another suburb installment in the Elemental Assassins series. It’s packe
Lauren
Web of Lies
3.5 Stars

Compelling world building, an entertaining storyline and well-developed characters but the pacing is off and the writing repetitive at times.

Gin is a truly engaging heroine whose snarky, tough-as-nails assassin persona conceals a warm heart, a profound sense of justice and an intense loyalty for those who have earned it. She does, however, have one significant flaw - her taste in men.

Donovan Caine's pathetic air of superiority and inability to love, respect or accept Gin wi
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
****************Re-read June 2015****************
Layla ✷ Praise the sun ✷
What kept me from giving this more than 3 stars were my sheer frustration about Gin's behaviour when it came to Caine and all those fancy repetitions:

- "Then he handed me a thick towel. I lifted it to my face and breathed in. It smelled like the detective - clean and soapy. Mmm."
- "The rain had made it transparent too, and I could see the ropy muscles of his chest through the thin fabric. Mmm."
- "His lips crushed against mine, even as his tongue drove inside my mouth. Mmm."

And all this on just t
Naomi 🐨
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This series is terrific! Thank you Alicia for the recommendation :)
Wanda
This isn’t happy-clappy urban fantasy. Gin Blanco isn’t necessarily someone I’d want to drink blackberry ice tea with, but she makes for an interesting main character. She’s a supposedly retired assassin, romantically fixated on an upstanding cop. Staying retired isn’t easy, especially when Gin runs a restaurant on the wrong side of the tracks.

There’s good action in this series, although I wish Gin didn’t get so physically beat-up all the time. Yes, her friend Jo-Jo can (and does) fix her up aft
Steven
Gin Blanco is kickass. She knows it. Everyone else knows it. She makes a few mistakes in this one, but they end up with some positive results: (view spoiler)

Solid entry. I've heard this series gets better and better. I'm having fun already, which means I'm in for a really great ride!
AH
Jun 10, 2010 rated it really liked it

Web of Lies is the second book in Jennifer Estep’s Elemental Assassins series. Our heroine Gin Blanco has now retired from her extremely lucrative career as The Spider and has now settled down working at her restaurant The Pork Pitt. Gin finds retirement a little boring. When the opportunity to help Fletcher’s old friend Warren Fox arises, Gin agrees to do the job.

There are a lot of things to love about this series. The author builds an imaginative world where some people have the abil
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
If I wasn't completely in love with the kick butt bad a$% that is Gin Blanco before reading Web of Lies, I am most certainly am now after finishing it.

Truly, this series has me, hook, line, and sinker.

Can this series get any better? A kick butt, strong heroine with a sense of self and a sense of humor. Side kicks galore that are pretty darn amazing and loyal themselves and action non stop as well as a paranormal (giants, dwarfs, vampires, magic) side and oh yeah, some pretty steamy sexual tensio
Bj
5 "What's a Retired Assassin To Do?" Stars for the story and narration!

Loving this series! Great action, magic, and suspense! Moreover, looks like we may have a love triangle in the mix--though the romance angle in this series definitely takes a backseat to the UF plot points--which so far has worked just fine.

I suspect we will begin to see the romance angle unfurl more over the next few books in addition to us learning more about Gin's magic and what really happened to her family.

I can't wait
Beth The Vampire
Actual Rating 3.5 Stars

Part of me would always be the Spider – and it was time to put my skills to good use. To do the things that needed to be done.

Gin Blanco, restaurant owner, orphan, and retired assassin, is trying to move on with her life. The death of her mentor and handler in the first book still haunts her, but she has decided to comply with his last wish; that she would give up being a killer for hire. There is only one problem with that. It’s boring. So when a young women comes into he
Mariya
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have to say that I'm impressed. WEB OF LIES has exceeded my expectations this time around and I am looking forward to zipping through this series fast. I have come to love these characters even more except *cough*DonovanCaine*cough*, I didn't think an assassins life could get anymore exciting, but boy, was I wrong.

Our heroine Gin is retired or at least she is trying to stay retired, but being The Spider, the best assassin out there has been calling for her to get that excitement back in her li
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Oct 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Thanks to Lauren Fortgang's mesmerizing voice, Jennifer Estep's poignant first person POV writing style and Gin Blanco's stellar personality; the Elemental Assassin books are rapidly turning into one of the best Urban Fantasy series that I have ever read. So much so, that I find myself forsaking all of the other lovely novels on my shelves because I can't seem to get enough of this amazing story. I rarely step into a heroine's shoes while reading but with this series it's
Shanshad Whelan
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
I really really wish I could say I liked this book--I like a lot of the worldbuilding, and the plotting is rather entertaining. There's steamy romance, a hard nosed assassin with a good heart and a great talent for cooking. There are some fascinating secondary characters. I have a minor grievance with opting for ice rather than water and stone rather than earth as the major elemental powers against fire and air, but that's authorial choice.

This big problem, and the reason I had to put this book
DaJa
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2016
4,5 Sterne Auch der zweiten Band der Elemental Assassin Reihe konnte mich wieder überzeugen. Der Übergang vom ersten zum zweiten Band ist hier sehr gut gelungen. Schnell findet man beim lesen wieder in die Geschichte hinein.
Die Protagonisten wurden noch einmal durch viele Details ausgearbeitet und einzelne Charaktereigenschaften genauer beschrieben.
Mit diesen außergewöhnlichen Protagonisten, humorvollen Dialogen und spannenden Szenen, ist Jennifer Estep wieder ein toller Fantasyroman gelungen. D
✎Stacey "The One Night Biter"
I love love love this series and rereading again just makes me fall in love with Gin all over again. I you haven't started this series,,, I highly recommend
SheLove2Read
Nov 21, 2017 marked it as dnf
Shelves: 2017
This is 100% a DNF due to Donovan. He is a spineless loser who treats Gin like a prostitute. Oh he wants her, but his holier-than-thou "integrity" won't allow him to truly have her and have a relationship with her. I realize she's not perfect either, but Gin doesn't deserve the treatment she's getting from him. I'm done with this series. No rating.
Maria Dimitrova
Buddy read with the Urban Fantasy lovers over at BB&B .

For some reason I expected more from this. Maybe I've become too spoiled. Anyway it was good enough book to make me want to continue with the series, mostly thanks to the last 30%. But it didn't grab me and there were some slow moments that I honestly struggled through. But I made it and I'm hoping that from now on it'll be better. It's still mostly worldbuilding, which probably explains why I wasn't as thrilled. But we made some baby
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 3 going on 4

This series just got a lot better! The original premise for this series as well as Gin’s character made the first instalment enjoyable but I thought the world-building wasn’t very satisfying. It really improves in Web of Lies. The elemental magic aspect of the book is developed and more preternatural characters are introduced. The series isn’t in the heavy-weights category of urban fantasy novels but it is well-written and entertaining, with interesting characters.

I
  • Magic on the Storm (Allie Beckstrom, #4)
  • City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3)
  • Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2)
  • The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane, #2)
  • Double Cross (The Disillusionists #2)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Blood Before Sunrise (Shaede Assassin, #2)
  • Death Blows (The Bloodhound Files, #2)
  • Crimson Wind (Horngate Witches, #2)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Fatal Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #3)
  • Blood of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #2)
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea. She is the author of the following series:

THE ELEMENTAL ASSASSIN SERIES
The books focus on Gin Blanco, an assassin codenamed the Spider who can control the elements of Ice and Stone. When she’s not busy battling bad guys and righting wron

Elemental Assassin (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1)
  • Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3)
  • Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, #4)
  • Spider’s Revenge (Elemental Assassin, #5)
  • By a Thread (Elemental Assassin, #6)
  • Widow’s Web (Elemental Assassin, #7)
  • Deadly Sting (Elemental Assassin, #8)
  • Heart of Venom (Elemental Assassin, #9)
  • The Spider (Elemental Assassin, #10)
  • Poison Promise (Elemental Assassin, #11)
“You could just run over him," I said. "He's already dead, and it's not like you haven't done it before."
"Yeah, but I don't want bloody bits of dwarf stuck on my wheels for the next two weeks." Finn sniffed. "This is an Aston Martin, Gin. You don't run over dead bodies in an Aston Martin."
"Tell that to James Bond."
Finn shot me a dirty look as he pulled out onto the street.”
55 likes
“This is an Aston Martin, Gin.You don't run over dead bodies in an Aston Matin."
"Tell that to James Bond”
42 likes